Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CAI for R56 (home made)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 AM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Spectre is not "dripping" with oil like some oiled filters. th3118 shared some info with me regarding his Spectre filter, a K&N drop in filter he uses for Autocross, and a check of oil buildup on the MAF diffuser. Basically, he had a little bit of buildup on the MAF diffuser due to the "dripping oil" K&N drop in filter and not the Spectre filter. I plan to take a look at my MAF diffuser after another few days of driving and will update this thread on what I find.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:59 PM
bushman66
2nd Gear
Minijayhawk...what is the filter zip tied to? One of the loops on the back of the stock airbox bottom? What is the purpose of that?
thanks

Old 01-30-2008, 02:10 PM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
Yes. There are three loops that the top of the filter box hooks into in the back. I used the middle one. I did this because the filter rests on the bottom of the box and will move around and potnetially rattle or work the fittings loose. It is a protective measure. It takes a pretty big (18" or 24" long) zip tie.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:29 PM
bushman66
2nd Gear
Thanks. OK, I was wondering because I have the 9" Dryfilter and it didnt fit really well in the bottom of the box so I removed the bottom completely. The filter is not rubbing on anything, but it does "bounce" around a bit...

The weird thing for me was the elbow seemed to interfere with a good fit with the edge of the airbox. It seemed that if I cut a half-moon shape out of the driver's edge of the airbox bottom for the elbow to slip into, it would fit better...

Old 01-30-2008, 02:41 PM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
I think you are better off if you can find a way to keep the box:

1) It protects the filter and blocks some direct heat from the engine components below, even if very little.

2) I allows the stock air inlet pipe to dump air directly around the filter, again, even if only a little.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:14 PM
bushman66
2nd Gear
Yes...agree. After seeing your setup, i'm going to go home and mess with the bottom some more to see if i can make it work better.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:28 AM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear
I contemplating purchasing the ALTA foam filter for $45, but I would like to save some money so I may purchase a UNI filter. Do you guys know if the filter #UP6300ST on the below link would work? It says they're for motorcycles, but I'm pretty sure this is the one that DDMWorks uses. Thanks for any help you can provide.

http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...universal.html

Old 02-08-2008, 08:31 AM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ltjpunk7
I contemplating purchasing the ALTA foam filter for $45, but I would like to save some money so I may purchase a UNI filter. Do you guys know if the filter #UP6300ST on the below link would work? It says they're for motorcycles, but I'm pretty sure this is the one that DDMWorks uses. Thanks for any help you can provide.

http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...universal.html
if you are unsure... you can always get trueflow... they use a foam style filter as well and are made for cars

http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...er=90206/576.0
but i think you can get that one on amazon for like... 35 bucks

Last edited by pillar; 02-08-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
greengobln
5th Gear
that looks a lot like an HAI. Hot Air Intake

Old 02-08-2008, 01:25 PM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by greengobln
that looks a lot like an HAI. Hot Air Intake
Each time someone says this I want to direct them to Alta's post somewhere around page 5 of this thread. this just so happens to be one of the most important posts in this thread, and is still the most ignored for some reason.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=112

QUOTE from ALTA: Yes you are a little wrong (I am saying it in a nice way, so please don't take that the wrong way). We have done lots of testing with temps (notice the probe behind the filter) that the filter sees in that posistion.

First off the turbo heat shield is removed only to show the DP off. It needs to be installed on the car to keep the hot air away. With it removed during a test, the temps were about 80 degrees above ambient.

Secondly there is quite a bit of air flow throught that area of the car with the OEM scoop STILL installed. The temps we measured were not too much warmer than ambient, but they were warmer. The reason for the temps being reasonable is because there isnt much radient heat coming from the back of the motor, it all comes from the front.

Our intake was designed to remove the scoop, this is why the filter is place where it is placed. Also we use the OEM fresh air scoop to get more fresh cool air into the filter area.

So with the scoop removed, the temps were much better (and this was just using the dyno fans which don't represent the air it sees driving down the road) and needless to say they are not much. Also all of our intake tests were with the hood down to ensure as much as a real world result as possible.

Last edited by MiniJayhawk; 02-08-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
Where can I buy T-Bolt Clamps? Homedepot doesnt have them. I tried to get the 2.75" clamp from siliconintakes.com but they were sold out. Other internet stores have it, but not only are they more expensive, but the shipping is like over $10.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 AM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear
Originally Posted by byhsu
Where can I buy T-Bolt Clamps? Homedepot doesnt have them. I tried to get the 2.75" clamp from siliconintakes.com but they were sold out. Other internet stores have it, but not only are they more expensive, but the shipping is like over $10.
Check local auto parts stores like O'reilly or NAPA. Also, if they say they don't have T-bolt clamps, ask for "worm clamps". Same thing.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:04 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
I found the Worm Gear clamps at Homedepot, but I was under the impression that T-Bolt clamps are better, meaning they will not come loose.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 AM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear
Originally Posted by byhsu
I found the Worm Gear clamps at Homedepot, but I was under the impression that T-Bolt clamps are better, meaning they will not come loose.
The debate between T-bolt and Worm clamps doesn't really apply here, because this is a low pressure intake scenario. Yes, T-bolt clamps are typically rated for more torque, so you can tighten them more, but this is only an issue when it comes to intercooler/charge piping. Also, in those scenarios you run the risk of the Worm clamp "cutting" into the tubing in addition to blowing off under pressure. However, as mentioned before, both should be fine for a CAI application as the pressures are not high enough to cause these problems.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:48 PM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
The clamps i used in these photos were easy to use and have held strong for several weeks.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:58 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
Where did you get those clamps? I ended up buying a worm clamp from Home Depot.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
At the local Westlake Ace hardware store. I have also seen them at auto part stores.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
OK, i left the bottom of the box on, but seems like the CAI is moveable, meaning it will move around, since the silicone is attached to a plastic tube that is flexible. How can I keep it from moving? Is the zip tie a good solution? I am just afraid that the exposed part of the tie below the box will melt since it is exposed to the engine.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:53 PM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
My zip tie stays above the bottom of the box. It doesn't get near the engine.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
Is there a need to oil a foam filter? Anybody dynoed how much power they are getting from their home made CAI?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:13 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
OK, so I installed the CAI this past weekend and I tell feel a little more flexible power band. The car can go on 6th gear below 50mph now. before it was not as smooth and the MPG on the OBC shows an improvement of about 10%. before going on a flat road at 50mph it was about 45mpg now is 50mpg. Also going about 80mph the car shows almost 40mpg, before was about 35mpg.

I noticed that going about 4500 to 5000rpm the engine has a high pitch note. Is that normal?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:19 AM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
Cool! You will notice a lot of new sounds. The pitch will be different with an open filter. You will also hear the sounds of the turbo spooling up and the blow off valve going "psssshhhhheeeewwww" when you let off of the throttle at higher revs.

Now, we need photos!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:25 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
How often should I clean my filter? I have an AEM dry flow filter.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:29 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
i had been itching for a new mod since i lowered my car and i wanted to do an intake. at first i was looking at getting a used alta CAI but the price seems ridiculous for what you get. I ended up getting the various fittings from siliconparts.com and a trueflow 5.5X9 3inch inlet foam filter from amazon. The silicon parts have already shipped but im still waiting on the filter to ship from amazon.

I think the foam filters are definitely the way to go, there filtering capabilities far exceed that of paper and gauze. I cant wait for these goodies to get delivered!!

btw, this is the fliter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007W0A7E

i will post pix and feedback when they come in!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:27 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
hey ghost that is the filter i have on my setup and you can tell a difference. you will be able to hear it sucking in a lot of air. i tried a k&n filter also and went back to the true flow . i like all the noise and at top end it seems to never stop pulling. also the filter is big but it looks cool under the hood. you can zip tie it down really good as well. it will not move. i put two rows of ties down on it . i washed the mini yesterday and got a lil water on it so i removed it and put on the k&n until it dries good. i think adding the alta downpipe would make this filter really work at its peak. just need more money and it will happen. the alta or forge intercooler would help even more. again more money. im also thinking of scrapping the whole thing and going with the alta intake. it removes the tray under the filter and i think it keeps dirt and crap from getting in the filter and water. i took the filter tray off yesterday and cleaned all the sand and crap out of it. i can see where the alta allows all that to just go down to the bottom of the car down to the road. also it allows you to clean around that part of the cars underhood area. i like to keep as much of the underhood as clean as i can. florida is nothing but bugs ,sand and rain. just a few of my pennys on it.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain CAI for R56 (home made)