Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CAI for R56 (home made)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ghosthound
i had been itching for a new mod since i lowered my car and i wanted to do an intake. at first i was looking at getting a used alta CAI but the price seems ridiculous for what you get. I ended up getting the various fittings from siliconparts.com and a trueflow 5.5X9 3inch inlet foam filter from amazon. The silicon parts have already shipped but im still waiting on the filter to ship from amazon.

I think the foam filters are definitely the way to go, there filtering capabilities far exceed that of paper and gauze. I cant wait for these goodies to get delivered!!

btw, this is the fliter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007W0A7E

i will post pix and feedback when they come in!
Do you need to oil that filter?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:44 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
mine came as oily as fried chicken but i got mine from summit.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:47 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by byhsu
Do you need to oil that filter?
im pretty sure all foam filters have to be oiled. Im not sure what kind of oil they use but from my experience, some are tackier than others.

I equate the oil to snot and the foam to your nose hairs. It is a very efficient system that allows for good filtration and good flow

Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
hey ghost that is the filter i have on my setup and you can tell a difference. you will be able to hear it sucking in a lot of air. i tried a k&n filter also and went back to the true flow . i like all the noise and at top end it seems to never stop pulling. also the filter is big but it looks cool under the hood. you can zip tie it down really good as well. it will not move. i put two rows of ties down on it . i washed the mini yesterday and got a lil water on it so i removed it and put on the k&n until it dries good. i think adding the alta downpipe would make this filter really work at its peak. just need more money and it will happen. the alta or forge intercooler would help even more. again more money. im also thinking of scrapping the whole thing and going with the alta intake. it removes the tray under the filter and i think it keeps dirt and crap from getting in the filter and water. i took the filter tray off yesterday and cleaned all the sand and crap out of it. i can see where the alta allows all that to just go down to the bottom of the car down to the road. also it allows you to clean around that part of the cars underhood area. i like to keep as much of the underhood as clean as i can. florida is nothing but bugs ,sand and rain. just a few of my pennys on it.

thanks for the heads up!

i wouldnt be too concerned with a little moisture getting on the filter. the engine will just vaporize it, possibly even making more power! (water injection anyone?)

As for the alta intake... i really think its overpriced for what it is, even used. The filter element is way smaller than most filters used by DIY CAI'ers and beside the cleaner looking "shield" they use, you arent getting any more benefit from their setup as opposed to the DIY model. If you are really that concerned about dirt collecting in the airbox base, just drill some big holes or slots into the bottom and be done with it. Heck, you may even be able to fab up some sort of bracketry to hold the filter and remove the stock airbox completely.

I have a question about the true filter.... can you actually take the foam out of the metal mesh? I would imagine that would make cleaning soooo much easier.

Last edited by ghosthound; 02-26-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:12 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
from what i can tell the filter cant be taken apart, its got two layers of foam in it. red on the outside and black inside but then again its shouldnt need cleaning for a long time. the foam is thick. i also drilled out some of the scoops blocked grill slots. not all of them . i drilled holes in some of it and cleaned out some completely. and then the inside of the scoops opening i bent down the metal a lil all the way across the opening. i read somewhere on here about it would let a lil more air in. i would rather not drill on the air box ,reason being that what ever i put on i can remove for my next mini or sell it. also return the car as close to stock for trade in. i put alot of miles on the cars i drive, long comute to work. 160 miles oneway. so i trade in about every two years. i got this one off the lot so the next one i will order. back to the custom / homemade air intake , iam sure the big trueflow will out flow the alta just on size but i think having the downpipe will help it work to its peak performance level. it whisles and pisssess and makes noise through the gears but cruising speeds on the highway its quiet enough. just a few more of my pennys.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:36 AM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
I have taken the plunge and made up my own version. I tried a few versions from the very simple set up that started this marathon thread to a more elaborate set up that I have now. Consists of a large dual cone K&N pod filter, some polished 3" alloy pipe, a 3" blue silicon elbow pipe, 2 metal mounts and some heat shielding for it to sit on. I will post pics as soon as I can.

The result has been good, feels like more power, especially at rolling accelerations. The sound is awesome, no mistaking it is a turbo now!

I also opened up the dummy scoop so cold air is more available. Just to be sure, I have made my own intercooler spray if I feel it lag in stop start traffic.

Overall, very pleased, did all this for less that an after market CAI would have cost and I swear this is the way my JCW kit should have come.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Motodude
1st Gear
Good for you! I think opening up the hood scoop is essential for any homemade CAI. I even went so far as completely removing the plastic cold air ducting to the original filter box, as well as the filter box itself. You wouldn't believe the extra space in the engine compartment now for air flow and heat dissipation. My homemade CAI uses a shorter and larger tube straight into the turbo without the extra elbow. The MAF was moved forward and the largest K&N filter I could find was placed directly on the MAF inlet. You are right, this is what John Cooper would have designed.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
looking forward to the pix!! im trying to figure out how to make some sort of mount for my filter instead of just resting it on the bottom half of the factory airbox.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
i zip tied mine to the bottom of the airbox on one of the loops and it doesnt move a bit. also it makes the filter set up a bit .

Old 03-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
Here are the pics, more development in store when I get time. i am planning a polished airbox with stock intake as well as an intake at the top to utilise the hood scoop (not sure if it will be ducted). I will post more pix as it develops.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
looks great! is the filter bolted down somehow to prevent it from rattling around?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
looks great! is the filter bolted down somehow to prevent it from rattling around?
It has two metal filter mounts clamped under the hose clamps, one near the filter and one at the joint of the stock pipe and the silicon pipe. Both these mounts bolt to the engine so movement of the engine is not a problem.

Holds pretty well with only minor flex in the mounts, no viabrating or rubbing on other components.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:41 AM
papadimitriou
2nd Gear
And performance???
At least as you can understand, what is you impression?

Old 03-05-2008, 06:22 AM
ukaussi
2nd Gear
It seems you may be blocking the airflow by having the metal sheet as ALTA mentioned that with the hood sccop open and the OEM airbox removed you get a much higher airflow over the engine and down the back between engine and firewall

Old 03-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
As I briefly said in my previous post, the performance does feel better. Not much change on initial take off, maybe a little more torque but it is in rolling acceleration that there is a definite improvement. Stomp on it coming out of a corner and you have to be ready for some torque steer and traction control cuts in if you happen to be in the meat of the torque curve.

I have noticed that with general driving the inlet pipe near the the throttle body does not get as hot so it is obviously running a bit cooler which is a big problem for us in Australia when the car is fitted with such a small FMIC.

As mine is a JCW the difference is not huge, but it is an improvement that can be felt. Besides that it sounds like a high performance turbo now which is what I really wanted.

As for the heat shield, it does leave a considerable gap to the firewall which can not be seen in the pics. There will still be good airflow over the back of the motor. Like I said earlier, still a work in progress and as I develop it more I will remember to retain that air flow over the inlet side of the motor.

Thanks everyone for the comments, it makes it a bit more fun to come up with your own design when people give ideas and opinions on your work.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:15 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mutley MCS
It has two metal filter mounts clamped under the hose clamps, one near the filter and one at the joint of the stock pipe and the silicon pipe. Both these mounts bolt to the engine so movement of the engine is not a problem.

Holds pretty well with only minor flex in the mounts, no viabrating or rubbing on other components.
im having trouble visualizing the mounts... do you have any pix?

Old 03-08-2008, 06:47 PM
swolfgang
1st Gear
First mod

I've tried it and I am liking it. I went with the basic setup. As I started looking at what filter to go with I found an article at www.australianauto.com.au/ (under air filters and kits. The comparison was taken from Auto Salon magazine jan 07) the 3A racing filter won the shootout. Pep boys had the filter for $20. I got some zip ties to suspend it from the hole. Took me 15 min. I mainly wanted to try this to see if an intake was in my future, and I think it is. I reset the computer using the technique that was discuused earlier in this thread. I drove around all day with the window down to hear the sound. I think there is some performance gain, but hard to tell with more foot on the throttle. Very easy to switch out. I also did remove the scoop grill.
Thanks to all contributors

Attached Thumbnails CAI for R56 (home made)-intake-email.jpg  
Old 03-08-2008, 07:13 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
^^ what was the criteria of the test? Most of the time when a filter has a high flow rate, the filtering capabilities are very low.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
swolfgang
1st Gear
You have a good point.
The part of the article that was posted on that website gives each filter a rating for flow and filtration. It does not describe the testing technique. It shows a little blotch from each filter. I guess common sense dictates that if it flows better it would have less filtration. The K & N they tested had good filtration, but poor flow.
After reading the article further they did seem to use good technique in testing these filters. The 3A racing filter got 1st in flow and 2nd in filtration. It is a dry filter so it must be tossed after it gets dirty.

Last edited by swolfgang; 03-08-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:23 AM
ukaussi
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ltjpunk7
The debate between T-bolt and Worm clamps doesn't really apply here, because this is a low pressure intake scenario. Yes, T-bolt clamps are typically rated for more torque, so you can tighten them more, but this is only an issue when it comes to intercooler/charge piping. Also, in those scenarios you run the risk of the Worm clamp "cutting" into the tubing in addition to blowing off under pressure. However, as mentioned before, both should be fine for a CAI application as the pressures are not high enough to cause these problems.
Was just re-reading some sections as doing my own as we speak and realized that the INTAKE side actually has NEGATIVE pressure as the air is being sucked in by the turbo. So they won't ever "blow off"

What you have to ensure is that the pipes are stiff enough that they do not collapse on themselves

Old 03-10-2008, 08:10 AM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by swolfgang
I've tried it and I am liking it. I went with the basic setup. As I started looking at what filter to go with I found an article at www.australianauto.com.au/ (under air filters and kits. The comparison was taken from Auto Salon magazine jan 07) the 3A racing filter won the shootout. Pep boys had the filter for $20. I got some zip ties to suspend it from the hole. Took me 15 min. I mainly wanted to try this to see if an intake was in my future, and I think it is. I reset the computer using the technique that was discuused earlier in this thread. I drove around all day with the window down to hear the sound. I think there is some performance gain, but hard to tell with more foot on the throttle. Very easy to switch out. I also did remove the scoop grill.
Thanks to all contributors

try this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThmW2SW1I-k

Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys,

Looking for the pictures of these cool DIY intakes has given me a few neat intake ideas, I'll see if we can throw something inexpensive together like we've done for the 335i.

I'm still skeptical of the real world power gains, but there seems to be strong market for them. And it's really a shame that people pay $190, $290, etc for intakes that basically consist of a filter, a piece of pipe, and a small bracket.

T

Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
^^ if you can make a bracket for a reasonable price you will make big bucks.

BTW, does anyone want to sell me their stock airbox?

Last edited by ghosthound; 03-10-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:41 AM
swolfgang
1st Gear
I am having trouble keeping the 3" filter on the 2.75" opening to the MAF. I know someone earlier in this post was having trouble keeping their filter on. Are people just tightening the filter down or using some sort of adapter?
Pillar thanks for the link to that video.
Steve

Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 AM
lxjose9xl
3rd Gear
You need this part along with some clamps to properly attach everything together.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...0f65c92aa54cc2

Quick Reply: Drivetrain CAI for R56 (home made)