Electrical Countryman-Specific Coding - R60 Guide

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 AM
d0lphinGrey
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah thanks for clarifying. Will keep on reading then!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't want you going down the same path of wondering why the names had changed, etc. since it appears that others had already done that. Might save some time this way.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Theta
I didn't want you going down the same path of wondering why the names had changed, etc. since it appears that others had already done that. Might save some time this way.
Unfortunately, making the changes in that post failed to produce the desired "city lights only" for DRLs. In fact, after a close examination of all 500+ posts since #245, it appears that no one has CONFIRMED the proper settings for the USA R60 (specifically) to enable the city (parking) lights as DRLs!

Can anyone CONFIRM the settings for city light DRLs on an R60? R56 folks need not reply...

TIA,

Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Theta
6th Gear
I poked around with it for a while and never got anywhere...

Old 05-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Front City (Parking) Lights Only for DRLs: Success!

After spending a number of hours playing with FRM module settings, I finally got the DRLs to light only the city lights! This process was aided by a post by strobey-probey in a thread about city lights as DRLs on Canadian R60s. Please note the specifics below:

Enviromental:
MINI: USA 2012 CMS (Canadian R60s will need to have their VO changed to reflect a USA version - thanks strobey-probey!)
Build Date: Nov 7, 2011
Headlamps: Xenon
Datens: V46. Those with newer datens should be ok as the settings listed below should be present in your FRM module's FSW_PSW.TRC file. I'm not sure whether these settings will be the same in pre-V46 datens, but most likely so.
Misc: Must have working cable and (preferably) NCSExpert programming experience. These instructions assume that you know how to successfully code your R60 with NCSExpert.

Requirements/suggestions before beginning:
1. The DRL option should be activated in the BC;
2. The headlamp setting should be set to "off" for programming, but then you can set it to "Auto" afterwards;
3. Fully read this post before beginning;
4. Plan and document your work (OCD Club Members Unite!).
5. Post if this works for you!

FRM Settings:
VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_3R drl_s // This setting turns-off the low beam headlamps.
Note: after this setting was made, wheel arch lights, rear taillights and license plate light were still on.

DRL_TFL_MIT_KZL nicht_aktiv // This setting turns-off the license plate lights.
Note: after this setting was made, license plate lights were turned-off but taillights were still on. In fact, the lower taillight in each lens glowed brightly at brake light intensity, the upper taillights were at normal intensity, however. Odd.

DRL_TFL_MIT_SL_1 nicht_aktiv // These settings turned-off the left and right wheel arch lights and
DRL_TFL_MIT_SL_2 nicht_aktiv // lower taillights.
Note: After this setting was made, the upper taillights were still on. According to NCSDummy, the "SL" means "standing lights", so the bright lower taillights may be in standing light mode.

DRL_TFL_MIT_BL nicht_aktiv // This setting turned-off the the upper taillights.

And, finally…

DRL_TFL_MIT_SML_3R aktiv // This setting turned-on the city lights!

Other stuff:
- I made these changes one-by-one. After each change, I exited NCSExpert and turned-off the R60. Then I turned the R60 back on and checked the status of the lights to make sure that the desired effect had been achieved. I suspect that all these edits could be made and programmed in one step, but I thought that I'd just let you know the way in which I did them.

- I never had to touch the companion settings in the CAS module.

- Today I tested the function of the lights in "Auto" mode as they switched between DRL illumination and night illumination. Perfect!

Have fun...

Last edited by Koopah; 05-30-2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Corrected a setting name (thanks bmrguy03!)
The following users liked this post:
geekd4d (08-21-2019)
Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 PM
bmrguy03
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice! Can't wait to try this! Thanks! Btw, if there is anyone in the SoCal OC area willing to help me with NCS, please PM me. Thanks! Happy Motoring!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 AM
conger
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Koopah
DRL_TFL_MIT_KZL nicht_aktiv // This setting turns-off the license plate lights.
Note: after this setting was made, license plate lights were turned-off but taillights were still on. In fact, the lower taillight in each lens glowed brightly at brake light intensity, the upper taillights were at normal intensity, however. Odd.
Are you sure those lower rear red lights were not on before?

DRL_TFL_MIT_BL
nicht_aktiv // This setting turned-off the the upper taillights.
You may also need to add the R56 settings:
DRL_TFL_MIT_BL_1 nicht_aktiv // Outer taillights.
DRL_TFL_MIT_BL_2 nicht_aktiv // Inner taillights.
Don't know if these exist on the R60.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by conger
Are you sure those lower rear red lights were not on before?
Yes they were on before but at a lower intensity. As I indicated in my note: "license plate lights were turned-off but taillights were still on." What changed was the increased brightness of the lower taillights once the license plate lights were turned off.

You may also need to add the R56 settings:
DRL_TFL_MIT_BL_1 nicht_aktiv // Outer taillights.
DRL_TFL_MIT_BL_2 nicht_aktiv // Inner taillights.
Don't know if these exist on the R60.
No. These settings do not exist on my R60's FRM module (at least with the V46 datens). You seem to be referencing and R56 environment. And, while the R56 and R60 environment share many settings, there ARE differences. This is one of them.

conger - Have you coded the DRLs to city lights only on an R60 and did you have the BL_1 and BL_2 in your FRM module trace? If so, what version of the datens did you use?

Last edited by Koopah; 05-14-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:47 AM
conger
2nd Gear
conger - Have you coded the DRLs to city lights only on an R60 and did you have the BL_1 and BL_2 in your FRM module trace? If so, what version of the datens did you use?
I coded a (UK spec, no Nav, no xenons) R60 a few weeks ago for a friend to make the city lights into the DRL and remove rear lights (amongst other things). I was using Datens 46.3 but I can't remember if the BL_1 and BL_2 were present.

The BL_1 & 2 are old BMW settings present in many BMWs and also in the R56 certainly from V40. I usually just search the FSW_PSW.TRC for all occurrences of both *DRL_TFL* and *BL_* and then set them in the FRM module to nicht_aktiv.

One further thing to rule out was that I set VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL to drl_s (USA dedicated DRL lights) and not to tfl_s (European dedicated DRL lights). Perhaps in the USA, the meaning of "dedicated DRL lights" is a collection of front and rear lights different to the US. I have been meaning to try out what tfl_s does but haven't done so yet.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Turn Signal Flash Settings

I'm not sure how many of you saw a terrific post by mikecalgon on how to set the number of blinks generated by momentarily actuating the turn signals. I have always wanted more than the 1 or 3 blinks available as settings in the BC. I'd love to have 7-10 blinks as that allows me enough time to execute a lane change in a safe manner with the blinking ending AFTER I am entirely in the new lane. So, this weekend I worked with Mike's instructions and set the blinks to 7.

Programming this change involves editing the FRM's NETTODAT.TRC file, changing a single value, saving the edited NETTODAT.TRC as NETTODAT.MAN, and programing the FRM module with the changed file using NCSExpert. You are NOT using the FSW_PSW files. Here is the body of Mike's post:
Set turning light to 7 flashes.
Refer to BMW coding, I made 7 Flashes instead of 3 for Mini R60 successfully.
1 Set turning light to 1 flash, read FRM module, rename nettodat.trc to nettodat1.trc in work folder
2 set it to 3 flashes, read FRM again, copy nettodat.trc as nettodat3.trc
3 compare nettodat1 and nettodat3, line starting with B 00341500 has different values, as
1 flash: B 00341500,0010,28,04,28,04,28,04,3C,04,28,04,28,04,00,00,00,00
3 flash: B 00341500,0010,28,04,28,04,28,04,3C,0C,28,04,28,04,00,00,00,00
04 = 1 flash and 0C=3 flash, so 1C=7 flash
4 edit nettodat.trc, replace 0C with 1C, save it as nettodat.man
5 in NCS, nevigate to read FRM if you had closed it. Press F5 basic functions, select coapiCodeSgByNettoData, in the pop window, input nettodat.man as parameter of nettodatenliste then click OK
6 wait to a small window pop up with information "basic function perfect ended"

It is said if you set flash times again, you will lost the changed value.
Enjoy it.
When I looked at my NETTODAT.TRC file, I found a different value where the 3 blink "0C" value was stored in Mike's file. Mine read "2F". So, what's up with that? Well, Mike's R60 had the values that he has shown, but we may find different 3 blink values in our NETTODAT.TRC files. Make sure you know what your 3 blink value is before making the changes below.

Ok, so this is how this setting is specified. For each extra 1 blink above the 3, you need to add a (decimal - base10) 4 to the 3 blink value. But remember, the value for the 3 blink setting is in hexadecimal (base16), so the result of your addition must be a hex sum. For instance: my 3 blink value was 2F(hex). I wanted to add 4 blinks for a total of 7 blinks. That means for each additional blink, I needed to add the value 4(dec). Thus, 4(dec) times 4(dec) = 16(dec). Converting the sum to hex, we get 16(dec) = 10(hex). Adding 10(hex) to 2F(hex) we get 3F(hex). Therefore, I replaced the "2F" in my 3 blink setting to "3F" for 7 blinks. Perfect!

Now, capitalizing on the above example, with a "2F" 3 blink base, if I wanted to up the number of blinks to be 10, I'd do the following. I want to add 7 blinks to the original 3 blinks. So, 7 times 4 is 28(dec). 28(dec) = 1C(hex). Now I'll add that hex value to the 2F(hex) 3 blink base: 2F(hex) + 1C(hex) = 4B(hex). Therefore, I'd replace the "2F" in my 3 blink setting to "4B" for 10 blinks.

I find 7 blinks to be just right, but you can make it blink as many times as you want as long as you apply the algorithm in the above examples to your own 3 blink base value. Also, as Mike has stated, if you reset the number of blinks via the BC, it will wipe out the customized blink changes you made with the NETTODAT.MAN file.

HTH,

Last edited by Koopah; 05-14-2013 at 09:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aabcds (06-07-2020)
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
{snip}...I have been meaning to try out what tfl_s does but haven't done so yet.
Yes, interesting!

Not wishing to mess things up, I just went straight to "drl_s" as I was unsure if the setting would make a difference in US-spec MINIs. Well, because things are working perfectly right now, I'll give the "tfl_s" setting a romp to see what happens!

Old 05-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Can anyone step me through using Tool32 to write new arguments to the CHAMP module?

I'm trying to put in the phone numbers of Roadside Assistance, my MINI dealer, and MINI Customer relations as an exercise to get to know Tool32. My MINI Connected shows those numbers as zeros. And, yes, I have entered the numbers are in the contact database, but I'd like to write them to the CHAMP module in the arguments provided for them.

Here's what I have been able to do. I can successfully communicate with the CHAMP module using Tool32. I can successfully run the "LESEN_TELEFONNUMMERN" job in the champ2r.prg "library" and can see that the 4 phone number arguments are empty strings. So now I want to give 3 of those 4 strings values and write the new arguments to the CHAMP module using the "SCHREIBEN_TELEFONNUMMERN" job. The problem is, I'm not sure where I should enter the arguments.

I see an argument/data entry box, but I don't know the format for the entry. Do I enter the four, quoted string values separated by a semicolon in the entry box with the "Arguments" tab clicked? Should I select the "Data" tab instead? Should the checkbox on the Data tab be checked?

I must have spent a couple of hours going through all the PDFs in the "DOKU" folder trying to find examples for writing arguments to the control modules, but all I found was pretty low-level stuff. Interesting, mind you, but of no help to what I am trying to do. I also clicked my way through the interactive User Guide but got entirely postal after a while and had to quit.

Browser searches have not turned-up any "how-to" posts. Instead, they suggest looking through the PDFs in the DOKU folder!

mjgood has posted the basic information and an informative link for working with these phone numbers in THIS post, but not the detail process for writing the arguments to the CHAMP module with Tool32.

Would someone unshackle me from my ignorance?

TIA

Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 AM
falaly
Neutral
Anyone in Houston area willing to help with coding?

Old 05-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by falaly
Anyone in Houston area willing to help with coding?
Do what I did and shoot Okee of "TRIPL3_O Coding" an e-mail if he hasn't PM'd you already. (He is a member here.) He is a professional coder of BMWs and MINIs out of New York, but he remotely codes cars all over the US. I am in California and he remotely coded my R60 and my BMW Z4 with no problems.

All you need is a D-CAN cable, a laptop (Mac or PC), and an Internet connection where your car is parked. I highly recommend him.

codemycar@gmail dot com

Old 05-20-2013, 03:00 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Variable Brake Lights?? confirmed by anyone else w/USA mini?

Originally Posted by MBj
I have dynamic break lights.
here is my FRM:
has anyone else confirmed if this worked for them? i have a R58/Coupe but the coupe thread doesn't have many NCSExpert threads.

i really want to get the variable brake lights working, i am going to test today and if i get them going on my Coupe; will post up exact settings needed.

thanks in advance

Old 05-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Theta
6th Gear
While the testing is certainly appreciated, do bear in mind that many of the fixes that have been found for the R56 have not translated so well over to us (the R60). I'm not sure if the R58/R59 rides closer to the R56 or R60 in that coding aspect.

We'll hope for the best, though!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:03 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
thx!

While the testing is certainly appreciated, do bear in mind that many of the fixes that have been found for the R56 have not translated so well over to us (the R60). I'm not sure if the R58/R59 rides closer to the R56 or R60 in that coding aspect.

We'll hope for the best, though!
its seems to be more in line w/the R60 it seems since i have similar settings for my DRL/City lights. Our coupes, R58, do have the dual brake lights too where we have the outside lights and the internal light. i tried some settings but am not sure how i'll be able to tell since i'm never following myself when i'm doing heavy braking.

i may have a pal follow me later this week to see if they notice any blinking or what happens.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Theta
6th Gear
If you can't get it to work, you can always go with a brake pulsar. Thankfully doesn't cost much.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 AM
ryotjia
Neutral
Can someone share the orignal .TRC file of ABG and KOMEI module to me? I have messed up this 2 modules after defaulting them. My passenger seat belt warning inoperative even though i enabled it; My fuel gauge color became red while reach refuel advisory level ( 2 indication lights left, it should orange color) -_-"

Much appreciated for your help!!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Those are unique to the vehicle. You would be best served to go get a flash from the dealer to clear the issues before attempting to code again.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Those are unique to the vehicle. You would be best served to go get a flash from the dealer to clear the issues before attempting to code again.
I'd also like to add that before programming any module, it is good practice to archive the original (or the latest working) TRC files. I save both the FSW_PSW and the NETTODAT versions just in case. You never know...

Old 05-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ryotjia
{snip}...My fuel gauge color became red while reach refuel advisory level ( 2 indication lights left...{snip}
No, that is normal. With two "candy corns" left, they will turn red in color.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Theta
6th Gear
That's correct. I always save the entire file structure to a new folder both before and after coding:

After reading, all files copied to: C:\NCSEXPER\WORK\KOMBI-BACKUP (example)
After writing, all files copied to: C:\NCSEXPER\WORK\KOMBI-CODED (example)

Good habit to get into for everyone. Those that don't have a trip to the dealer in store.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM
ryotjia
Neutral
I only backed up my CAS module for coding somethings in CAS, but i accidentally pushed "Code Car" F3 KEY, that's why many modules have been disturbed. This 2 modules show error, then i defaulted it...

I have tried to let my dealer fix it, but they said everything normal. (p.s. mine is Europe ver.)

koopah,theta many thanks for your info. Could you guys share the FSW_PSW.TRC files of ABG and KOMBI module to me?

Old 05-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
You must know that there are differences between the USA and EUR models. I WOULD NOT want to share my .TRC files.

Sorry...

Quick Reply: Electrical Countryman-Specific Coding - R60 Guide