Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical NCSExpert for beginners

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:04 PM
peatun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you sooo much cactusbob!

I was trying to remove the passenger seat sensor errors but no luck

Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 AM
cactusbob
2nd Gear
It worked then?

Old 04-14-2013, 04:11 PM
peatun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cactusbob
It worked then?
I wasn't able to see what you explained so I'm trying to find up to date datens since I'm on a 3 something version

Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Hello.

I'm interested in being able to access my systems with NCSExpert and although I've found out what cable I need, I'm unsure as to what the miniumum system requirements are for the laptop I need to run it on. I've never had a laptop (just a desktop and an android tablet) so I'll have to source one primarily for use in the garage.
Would I be able to cheap out and use an entry-level windows OS netbook, provided it had a USB port?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 PM
cactusbob
2nd Gear
Shouldn't be a problem. I run on an old Acer Netbook - Atom CPU and 1.5Gb RAM. Works fine.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM
peatun
2nd Gear
Argh NCS

So this is becoming a pain in the tuckus!

TL;DR I fixed my corrupted file, but can't make changes stick

I found I was over complicating Cactusbob's directions since I wasn't seeing the menus he was talking about but after cross referencing with one of the bmwcoding forum posts I figured out what I was doing wrong. Turns out you follow the directions GTECKO provided to get into a module. Now keep your .MAN file blank and write that file and it will overwrite it with the defaults from your DATENS. This worked great!

My ongoing problem however is this. I'm using the ABG module to try and turn my OC3 option to nicht_aktiv.
1) I read to create the FSW_PSW.TRC file.
2) I copy and paste the text info from the .TRC file into a blank .MAN file
3) edit the .MAN file to reflect my change from aktiv to nicht_aktiv
4) save the .MAN file
5) hit write in NCS expert.

At this point the files are writing and the car responds with the airbag lights on the dash coming on and the chime goes off. When it completes writing the airbag light stays on and it doesn't look like it worked.

I delete the .TRC file, and clean out the .MAN file. Read the ABG module again and now it's just like it was before I reset to the default. It has tons of additional lines with different info in them. Some are radio options, and one of the top lines says something about a limousine?!? It's clearly not the ABG module so I know it's writing the wrong info somehow.

Am I not deleting something I should be when I write to the ECU? Seems like it's loading one big file of all the modules into this one subsection. So I left off by reloading back to the DATEN baseline and reloaded the .TRC file to check it and it's just the ABG module. It seems that whenever I go to WRITE a file it gets all this extra info and I know that can mess it all up.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:29 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Next question:

Will this cable work? I was browsing ebay for "Inpa K+CAN" cables and found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160973897270

Originally Posted by cactusbob
Shouldn't be a problem. I run on an old Acer Netbook - Atom CPU and 1.5Gb RAM. Works fine.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:03 AM
conger
2nd Gear
Trying to find out what exactly is needed to program my R55.

I am fairly used to coding BMW e90's with NCS (3.0.8) and understand the long merry-go-round ride needed to get a working system going.

I have a working laptop and cable that can read and reset errors using DIS57 so I know the PC and cable are OK. I did actually get as far as reading a trace file at one point but the coding had errors.

I initially followed the instructions here to the letter, but the installation didn't work. As this thread progressed over time, many reported that Ediabas 7.2.0 is required and then it's mentioned that later datens v45 are needed. One of the difficulties when reading these long threads is that many links are dead so it adds in an extra degree of variation that we could all do without. By now I must have downloaded every version of every install possible.

So I have some questions:

1. Can anyone confirm that Ediabas 7.2.0 is needed?
2. If so which is the best version?
3. What's the best way to update it? I see that BMW Tools can install Ediabas on its own. I have 2.10 and 2.11 but they have different version.
4. Does the ediabas.ini have to be edited for Ethernet = 192.168.68.1 and Port =6801?
5. Does the ediabas.ini need to copied to c:\windows?
6. Does OBDSetup need to be run?
7. Does obd.ini need to be copied to c:\windows?
8. Should you install v38, then v40 and then v45 datens or just v45?
9. Is the BMW Coding Tool v2.50 a good way to update datens?
10. Does Laden.bat need to be run? I see Laden.bat is renamed as a doc file in v45.
11. When Inpaload is run and INPA closed. should Ediabas remain running as a tray icon?
12. Is Ediabas does not run as a tray icon. is that significant or problematic?
13. What does the green icon and the blue Ediabas icon mean?
14. Why doe the sizes of the various BMW Tool Installations very so much in size?
15. How do you know what Datens files your vehicle needs? If the version you are using is too old, what would the warning be?

Sorry for all the questions, but if anyone could answer any of these questions, I would be so grateful.

Thanks.

PS System is a clean install XP SP3, no AV, firewall, internet connection, no conflicting ports, serial and parallel ports and IR ports all disabled in Device Manager.

Last edited by conger; 04-21-2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 AM
conger
2nd Gear
I'll answer some of my questions based on what I have found out now that I have a working system.

I needed the following to get a working NCSExpert system:
Yes, Ediabas 7.2.0 is needed. I used BMW Tools 2.10 and copied a v41 set of Daten from a 650Mb INPA 5.02 download I found on bimmer forums.
I didn't update to v45.
I edited ediabas.ini for Ethernet = 192.168.68.1 and Port =6801?
I ran OBDSetup
Copied obd.ini to c:\windows?
Didn't run Laden.bat

I believe that my Feb 2008 R55 had been updated at some point with a 2MULF Bluetooth/USB upgrade and got a software update in the process. That was why the standard install that works for some didn't work for me, I think.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM
u238
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by conger
Trying to find out what exactly is needed to program my R55.

I am fairly used to coding BMW e90's with NCS (3.0.8) and understand the long merry-go-round ride needed to get a working system going.

I have a working laptop and cable that can read and reset errors using DIS57 so I know the PC and cable are OK. I did actually get as far as reading a trace file at one point but the coding had errors.

I initially followed the instructions here to the letter, but the installation didn't work. As this thread progressed over time, many reported that Ediabas 7.2.0 is required and then it's mentioned that later datens v45 are needed. One of the difficulties when reading these long threads is that many links are dead so it adds in an extra degree of variation that we could all do without. By now I must have downloaded every version of every install possible.

So I have some questions:

8. Should you install v38, then v40 and then v45 datens or just v45?
10. Does Laden.bat need to be run? I see Laden.bat is renamed as a doc file in v45.
I am new to this, but I think I can answer these questions. You can go straight to v45. The new version files simply overwrite the old one.

I don't know if laden.bat must be run, but you can remove the .doc extension and it will become a normal .bat file that you can run.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:10 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Chernobyl
Originally Posted by Nutsofamily
I cannot get past the initial stage of NCS expert.
IE, I load the profile, do the next two steps, choose R56, then CAS, then when it tries to read the VIN it brings up the error mention. (…VIN, not connecting to ECU or something..)
Check your PM.
Okay, I'll bite -- what was the magic solution? Was it a config issue, or a cable issue? I'm now at exactly the same point Nutsofamily was at: INPA works, NCSExpert errors when trying to read the VIN (or anything else).

Running in Windows 7, with NCSExpert in XP compatibility mode, on a MacBook Air. I can reproduce the same symptoms inside a Windows XP virtual machine when booted into MacOSX. I've reproduced them with several versions of the BMW tools, and with v38, v45 and v46 daten files (inc. all daten, sgdat, and ediabas\ecu files).

I'm using
this cable this cable
-- white circuit board, "rarely works".

In summary, I'm about to order one from ECUtool but if there was any other special sauce from Chernobyl I'd love to hear what it was!

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
In the end it was the cable that nutsofamily was using. He ended up ordering a replacement from ecutool.com and that got him going.

We confirmed that his cable was bad a few ways:
His computer + his original cable = Not working
My computer + his original cable = Not working
His computer + my cable = Works!

So you may be facing a hardware problem and not a software issue.

I should note that his original (non-working) cable and mine looked virtually identical.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:23 PM
mrtristan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by komet155
Next question:

Will this cable work? I was browsing ebay for "Inpa K+CAN" cables and found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160973897270
hey man, it sounds like you have a '13? i just got my '13 MCS in march and i'm looking to do some playing in NCSE... i can't find anyone talking about whether things work with a '13 or not and if compatibiliy has broken with the cables that everyone else is talking about and whatnot...

i'm looking at buying this cable if it seems like this is all doable on a 2013: http://www.ecutool.com/productshow.a...tsid=&sorts=#2

and whatnot... thanks! :-)

Old 06-07-2013, 08:52 AM
goofballtech
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mrtristan
hey man, it sounds like you have a '13? i just got my '13 MCS in march and i'm looking to do some playing in NCSE... i can't find anyone talking about whether things work with a '13 or not and if compatibiliy has broken with the cables that everyone else is talking about and whatnot...

i'm looking at buying this cable if it seems like this is all doable on a 2013: http://www.ecutool.com/productshow.a...tsid=&sorts=#2

and whatnot... thanks! :-)
I have a 13' R60. Worked fine for me with this cable.
http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

I had one of the ones from Amazon before but it didn't do the job.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 AM
StPeteAPB
2nd Gear
Does anyone know if there is an NCS code for having the "recirculate" for the A/C to default to "on" when you start the MINI?

BTW, thanks for this thread and all the documents!!!!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Laden.DAT Problems

I downloaded the datens V45 and the laden.DAT file reads as a word document, i presume with a .doc extension that I can't get rid of. The v40 version has a laden.DTA file. I assume that the DTA is a typo and I could probably change that extension. The v38 has a laden.DAT file. Does anyone know if all the laden files are the same or how to remove the doc extension from the laden.DAT.doc file? When I try and rename the ,laden.DAT.doc it only gives me the option to change the laden.DAT portion.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using NAMotoring

Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 PM
nutsofamily
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chernobyl
In the end it was the cable that nutsofamily was using. He ended up ordering a replacement from ecutool.com and that got him going.

We confirmed that his cable was bad a few ways:
His computer + his original cable = Not working
My computer + his original cable = Not working
His computer + my cable = Works!

So you may be facing a hardware problem and not a software issue.

I should note that his original (non-working) cable and mine looked virtually identical.

My cable....

Software from Chernobyl or from my site which is listed already.
Windows 7 straight up works perfect.

Just follow Cherobyls file / instructions in the zip/rar file.
Its here in forum.
nutsofamily.com

Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by u238

I am new to this, but I think I can answer these questions. You can go straight to v45. The new version files simply overwrite the old one.

I don't know if laden.bat must be run, but you can remove the .doc extension and it will become a normal .bat file that you can run.

I have been using a Mac for a while and must have forgotten how to manipulate Windows files. When I right click on the baden.dat file, I can look at the properties and rename the file but but only the 'laden.bat' and not the 'doc' extension. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Larry

Sent from my Nexus 7 using NAMotoring

Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 PM
redparchel
3rd Gear
So I don't have this working yet, but following GTECKO's guides, and tips taken from Chernobyl and nutsofamilys troubleshooting, and nutsofamilys files (nice batch file in there BTW) things have come together well enough.

I purchased this cable from amazon and while it looks exactly like the one from ecutool it seems to not be the right one or at least that's what my troubleshooting and this thread is suggesting. So like others I'll be ordering the ecutool one and patiently awaiting its arrival

one note on the amazon cable, the description is almost exactly that of the one from ecutools, so if anyone could guess or describe what makes these (or any) cables different that would be greatly appreciated, you know the more info the better, and the less this seems like magic!

is there a list going of known good (and bad) cables (and URLs) and models/years they worked on?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 PM
nutsofamily
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went through utmost frustration with an ebay cable until I ordered one from ecutool website.
Cable looked the same but was not.
Thank Chernobyl for batch.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 PM
JonsR56
1st Gear
I also got a cable from ebay. It didn't work at first but with the help of Chernobyl, i was able to get it to work. I've done the windows and sunroof closing with the key fob and the euro double blinkers so far. Looking to do the one touch open/close for the sunroof within the next few days.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:35 AM
redparchel
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JonsR56
It didn't work at first but with the help of Chernobyl, i was able to get it to work.
any pointers/pro tips from your troubleshooting with Chernobyl?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:39 PM
JonsR56
1st Gear
Originally Posted by redparchel
any pointers/pro tips from your troubleshooting with Chernobyl?
I basically unistalled my copy of ncs expert. I used the batch that I got from Chernobyl and it worked just fine. Not sure why it didn't work with the copy i had but i heard that sometimes, you'll just have to start fresh. I've added one touch open/close sunroof and looking to do fogs and high beam to stay on next.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:07 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
I ordered a cable from ECUtool.com six weeks ago. Still hasn't arrived. USPS says they received it from Hong Kong post 3 weeks ago, no further updates.

I've ordered things from China, Singapore and Poland and it has never taken this long before. So frustrating!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:42 PM
JonsR56
1st Gear
Here's a link on ebay where i bought my cable from. I got it in about a week since i didn't pay for expedite shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INPA-K-CAN-K-DCAN-Car-Diagnostic-tool-Cable-USB-Interface-Adaper-for-BMW-/330900689036?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item4d0b37d08c&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Electrical NCSExpert for beginners