Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical NCSExpert for beginners

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Hubs
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear fogs working

Okay , had some more time today , got my fogs to work . Thank you GTECKO , followed your directions , couple of hiccups on my part but great directions !
Coded the retro fitted rear fogs in my 2007 MCS JCW . With downloaded program from here V.38 Datens . Changed the line
" NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE " to aktiv which I found in the IHKA module .

Made my day , thanks for the great thread . Cheers !

Unbelievable " In my excitement I see my rear fog light on dash light up , look in back see driver side fog on and come run and post my success . When my wife and son come home I go out and show them my working fogs . My son points out the passenger side is not turned on . Well get out my volt meter sure enough do not get 12 volts on passenger wiring harness . Anyone have a pdf of the wiring harness? If not I just may go back in and program them off again .

Last edited by Hubs; 07-06-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Hubs
4th Gear
Maybe just coded wrong ?

Looking at spread sheet again , looks like code I used maybe was only good for a 2009 justa . Maybe that is why only one fog light came on . Maybe I did not activate the modules correctly for the MCS.

I see on spread sheet that you can add a line to VO . $5AA to VO use CAS and FRM module .... Can anyone explain in a little more detail how you do this . Do you just add this $5AA to the end of the list of codes found in your FSW_PSW.TRC file for CAS and FRM or does it need to go somewhere more specific .

Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 AM
bit_bucket
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick question. I know this can be used to add retrofits but has the success been with new retrofit modules or used ones?

Last edited by bit_bucket; 07-09-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 PM
bit_bucket
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hubs
Looking at spread sheet again , looks like code I used maybe was only good for a 2009 justa . Maybe that is why only one fog light came on . Maybe I did not activate the modules correctly for the MCS.

I see on spread sheet that you can add a line to VO . $5AA to VO use CAS and FRM module .... Can anyone explain in a little more detail how you do this . Do you just add this $5AA to the end of the list of codes found in your FSW_PSW.TRC file for CAS and FRM or does it need to go somewhere more specific .
There was a doc posted on the second page of this thread by GTECKO that has the instructions you need. One caveat, when the instructions say to switch ECU right after the CAS programming you need to select FRM as we don't have an LM in our cars. YMMV

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-change-vo.pdf

Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks bit_bucket

Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Hubs
4th Gear
Thanks to "a.decrease" for holding my hand and GTECKO for the great tutorial . I finally have my retro fitted rear fog lights working . I can confirm adding into the VO , code $5AA into CAS and FRM module . will turn on " both rear fog lights " in a 2007 MCS .
I followed GTECKO's guide installed his program , then updated to DATENS v.45 and wrote over the origingal EDIABAS program that came with GTECKO's download to EDIBAS 7.2.0 . The reason for this was when loading the FRM module with original program I received a faulty vin error code, by using EDIABAS 7.2.0 no more error . Thanks "Chernobyl" for this fix . Wow I have rear fog lights ! and they turn on ....

Old 07-21-2012, 03:37 PM
chuckdiesel
2nd Gear
my brain is spinning. among the array of different threads, and posts of people having issues, I can't even begin to feel confident to get started. there are conflicts with file downloads, which is the right cable to use, and which datens you needed.
I have scoured NAM threads, linking to other NAM threads, linking to BMW threads (headache).

I would appreciate someone to clear this up for me.
I have a '12 (May build).
Which cable?
Which version of software?
Which datens?

Anyother info would be greatly appreciated. PM me if more appropriate.

Thank you!

Old 07-29-2012, 02:50 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chuckdiesel
there are conflicts with file downloads, which is the right cable to use, and which datens you needed.
I have scoured NAM threads, linking to other NAM threads, linking to BMW threads (headache).
Everything is in this thread... you might maybe get the newer datens when they come out because I can't just update them on the site every time.
Tutorial is on page 1, spreadsheet linked too with the module you can change and that have been verified by members. I mean, it took me a while to write this tutorial and NO ONE every had a problem following it. Some ppl are having issue with coding and that is different.
The download links are ALL working ... I mean, I find it frustrating when ppl write stuff like that.
Give it a try at least ...

Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 AM
chuckdiesel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GTECKO
Everything is in this thread... you might maybe get the newer datens when they come out because I can't just update them on the site every time.
Tutorial is on page 1, spreadsheet linked too with the module you can change and that have been verified by members. I mean, it took me a while to write this tutorial and NO ONE every had a problem following it. Some ppl are having issue with coding and that is different.
The download links are ALL working ... I mean, I find it frustrating when ppl write stuff like that.
Give it a try at least ...
Yes.. completely fair and adequate response. I will dig in and attempt it.

Has anyone successfully coded a '08-'12 using GTECKO's recommended cable? The website description indicates it's applicable to '08.
http://www.ecutool.com/BMW-INPA-KCAN_1939.html

Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 AM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Has anyone successfully coded a '08-'12 using GTECKO's recommended cable? The website description indicates it's applicable to '08.http://www.ecutool.com/BMW-INPA-KCAN_1939.html
Me - My car is a 2009 MCS ... worked perfect, hence why its linked on the thread. Not sure on the new 2012 version, we used MY personal cable on a 2011 model and it was fine.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Roca68
2nd Gear
Has anyone successfully coded a '08-'12 using GTECKO's recommended cable? The website description indicates it's applicable to '08.
http://www.ecutool.com/BMW-INPA-KCAN_1939.html
Yes, I also have had success with the cable GTECKO recommends on my '09 Justa Classic. I also followed his great instructions. I did however upgrade to the BMW Tools 2.1 software version to use a newer version of EDIABAS: 7.2.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
to my Man Roca68 - Thanks for reassuring members

Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can anyone please confirm that datens V46.3 will work with a 2010 R55?

Also, what is the proper procedure for changing your datens version from one to another?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM
DrZ
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
No options on INPA main screen?

After installing the package linked in the first post (many, many thanks GTecko) I can communicate with the vehicle OK, and I've made some simple coding changes to verify that communication seems to be working.

However, I'm currently seeing a CEL and the fan comes on and runs non-stop when the ignition is on, and so I thought it would be interesting to see what INPA has to say about it.

However, on the INPA main screen I don't have any vehicle selection options, so there doesn't seem to be any way to progress to read or reset codes. I've read about needing more scripts for INPA, but I haven't been able to work out where they would come from, or how I'd install them.

Am I missing something fundamental about INPA here?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DrZ
However, I'm currently seeing a CEL and the fan comes on and runs non-stop when the ignition is on, and so I thought it would be interesting to see what INPA has to say about it.
I don't think INPA reads CEL codes. What year is your MINI? There is a recall of sorts for some sort of temperature sensor on the N18 engines. I had mine go bad and the fans ran at full speed whenever the ignition was on or the car was on.

A trip to your dealer will have it repaired for free in a few hours if that is the problem you are experiencing.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:49 PM
DrZ
2nd Gear
I don't think INPA reads CEL codes.
Well, that would certainly be part of the problem. What does?

I thought I'd fixed my signature to include vehicle details, but obviously not. This is on an 11/11 R55 JCW, so N14.

I first noticed the behaviour after reconnecting the battery at the end of the installation for a new driver's seat, but I can't say for sure it hasn't done it before. The CEL dates to the same point; it's possible that the two are unrelated.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:56 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
I'm not exactly sure which program will read the CEL codes but I believe there is a program in the BMW Tools suite that will but I'm interested to find out as well.

I'm also not 100% positive that the recall was only for the N18 engine, it could have been for others. It's still worth a call to your dealer since it's the same symptom that I was experiencing and your car should still be under warranty unless you've racked up a lot of miles.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 PM
DrZ
2nd Gear
Thanks for the sanity and pointers. NHTSA is showing several TSBs for the '11 build that might be applicable as well, so in she goes; sorry for the distractions folks.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM
an2
2nd Gear
After some minor scares (I flattened my battery, and screwed up my KOMBI) I managed to get everything behaving.

GTECKO: Can I suggest you update the datens in your all-in-one package to 45 or better? My '07 was in recently and they did some ECU updating, and it doesn't seem to be happy with the v40 datens. It read the KOMBI ok, but going to reflash it resulted in a lot of strange errors - no tacho, no fuel gauge, and a constant blinking error icon that looked like it was telling my my spoiler was open . A bit of panic later, I updated to the v45s, defaulted, and everything was fine.

Everyone else: I also strongly advise that you hook up to a battery charger of some kind for the duration. I know people have said it before, but working on the ECU sucks battery. I was hooked into a charger set to 25A and still saw a good 1V drop over the few hours I was working on it, with a <6mo old battery. (This was after killing it the first time.)

After all that though: I got my alarm heartbeat, shut off the passenger seatbelt alarm (for the dog), switched off my CDN DRL, and turned on comfort closing and mucked about with the one-touch. Now I just need to figure out why my sunroof one-touch closes, but not opens; and why my windows don't one-touch close. And once I get access to the spreadsheet, I'm sure I'll find even more to play with....

Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Bugler
2nd Gear
Can this program be used to reprogram my radio? I had to replace my head unit and the one I got was from a year newer car that must have had different options on it and now my aux plug doesn't work. Everything else works though, nav, bluetooth, cd, radio... and no it's not the connections. I already checked it.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 PM
busvol
Neutral
Successful Rear Fog Lights on MCS 2009

I just completed installation of rear fog lights on my MCS '09. I can confirm a few things in addition to instructions mentioned earlier:
The 2 pdf files of GTECKO are essential! Study them well.
- You need to update to EDIBAS 7.2.0 otherwise errors from FRM module.
- update to DATENS v.45
- INPA K+CAN cable was ordered from:
http://www.uobd2.com/wholesale/bmw-i...FQqk4Aod0QIA1w
for $27.99. Got no error messages and cheap.
- you need to default CAS module with empty .MAN file
- in addition to all things mentioned before you need to change the line in FRM module NSL_EINSEITIG_EINGEBAUT (rear fog lights only one side) from linke_seite (left side, aka driver side) to nicht_aktiv (not active)

I've discovered this after the install when only my driver side rear fog light was on. I was even able to change it to rechte_seite (right side aka passenger side) only, just for kicks.

Bottom line everything works fine, both lights are working.
I live North of Boston, in case anyone needs help.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:43 PM
GuyPavelo
1st Gear
Hey guys.
So i followed all the install instructions... On multiple computers with the same results here...
I can see the car, but when i try to read the car with expert, i get bad vin.
Tried everything i can think of... Any ideas why i may be seeing this? I found another thread, but there was no mention of what remedied the issue...
Im in Ct, if anyone could give a hand id be MASSIVELY grateful...

Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
tassoslabr
Neutral
Hello,

I got the D-KAN usb to OBD, follow the guide and when I try to start NCSexpert I keep getting the 'vin is faulty' with COAPI-2020: no answer from ECU and IFH-0009 NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT

I use Windows 7 (winXP compatibility mode) on a MCS 2007

Please could you give me some help???

thanks to everyone

Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tassoslabr
Hello,

I got the D-KAN usb to OBD, follow the guide and when I try to start NCSexpert I keep getting the 'vin is faulty' with COAPI-2020: no answer from ECU and IFH-0009 NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT

I use Windows 7 (winXP compatibility mode) on a MCS 2007

Please could you give me some help???

thanks to everyone
Please post a link to the cable you bought. I can almost guarantee that your problem is your cable.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 AM
tassoslabr
Neutral
I got the BMW Inpa K CAN from ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BMW-INPA...item35c2e10d0a

is that the problem?

Quick Reply: Electrical NCSExpert for beginners