Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical NCSExpert for beginners

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:57 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
NCSExpert for beginners

This a new thread so you can have a better understanding on how to start with NCS expert.

I have incorporated on this thread some other links that were interesting, a link to the BMW forum where other owners have shared their experience (copied it at the bottom)
You will also see some cool videos of the mods that were done. One cool thread was created by strobeyprobey's and here is the thread

So here we go you are going to need to buy the cable, download a program called NCS and study a bit on what you want this to go.
No Mac version is available, you ll need to run this through Windows - preferably a laptop since you need to connect to your car.

I,personally,purchased the cable BMW INPA K+CAN for $61 and it works perfectly on my R56:
http://www.ecutool.com/productshow.a...ortsid=&sorts=

You then need NCS Expert software with the datens for your Mini Cooper:
(newer Datens are now available for like the countrymen - However I have not personally run them. V40 soon is in the Mini Cooper Coding achieve)

I have created a new folder "Mini Cooper Coding" with a complete guide and datens. I thought the other link I had provided was taking forever to download, the instruction were too complicated and NCS was not in English.

CLICK HERE to download through Google doc.
You do not need to ask for a request for download this one.

Very few members had problems, so I created a second link (below)
CLICK HERE to download file - You do need to wait 90 seconds before downloading.

File is 361MB and should take you 2-5minutes or less to download though Google doc and 10 minutes through 4shared.
You will find inside:

Code:
Cable Drivers--> Windows Drivers for your INPA K+CAN cable 
Datens (v38)  
Datens (V40)
Mini Cooper Standard Tools 5.0 --> INPA,NCS EXPERT software
Profile --> Revtor Profile
Guide to Mini Cooper Coding I.pdf --> How to install your software
Guide to Mini Cooper Coding II.pdf --> How to read and write modules
R56-CAS3.C09-ModuleFunctions.txt--> example of translated modules
The program that will let you access the car's computer is called NSC expert.

There is a "NCS dummy" version that lets you translate the German configuration (yes your car's computer is in German )
NCS dummy will let you try the codes before actually messing with the car.
This can be found below; I do (and myself aswell was recommended) suggest to go through this post.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1553779

UPDATE: SP - V45 is available for R56, I personally don't have problem with the older version,however some other models need newer Version. Just download package and replace the datens folder.
Again, use this a your own risk.

Once you have that, I created another thread so you can share your codings and more.
I have organized a spreadsheet on this thread (you will need to request access) and added all modules that were tried.
Other members confirmed that the module were working on their different car's year so you will know for sure that you can change this module.
Click me to be redirect to the other thread

Last edited by GTECKO; 04-09-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Newer programming/datens
The following 9 users liked this post by GTECKO:
Aindrid (08-03-2023), anew742 (10-19-2018), Cloud IX (02-09-2019), dearchristopher (04-07-2022), Neal3000 (09-14-2017), R5002 (08-31-2018), r56_tyler (04-07-2021), skucera (08-19-2018), suficat (05-05-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 PM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, so I got the cable and - after some bluescreening and connection issues - finally got the communication working right where it sees the ECU and reads the VIN properly. Still having a little trouble, trying to follow this step-by-step:

choose Revtors profile (assuming you downloaded it from bimmerforums and placed it in the NCSEXPER/PFL folder)
hit F1
hit F3
select R56
select CAS (which is car access system module)
hit F6
hit F4
select the module you want to read (maybe select SHD to start, that's where the one-touch sunroof functions are)
click OK, OK, hit F4
Where does the FSW_PSW.MAN file come from? Do you need to create it yourself?

The .TRC file was created by NCS, but the .MAN didn't exist. NCS kept giving an error about how it could not read the FSW_PSW.MAN file right after hitting F6.

I finally just copied the .TRC and renamed it with the .MAN extension, and that error stopped popping up. I eventually got a NETTODAT window, though I quit shortly after that as it was getting dark and cold...

Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Yes you need to create it yourself; it was actually labelled in the pdf file when you installed NCS.
here is it again, before you try to read a module, what you need to do is create a text file-empty-in WORK folder
You need to save this file as "all files" in the "save as type" and name it FSW_PSW.MAN
then you wouldn't get an error - try again to read a module, once you have the trace file; modify it and save it over the man file.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 PM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
I think I'm missing that PDF, the only one I read during the installation was the step-by-step install directions in InpaCANinstall.pdf

The download is a bit slow, but this is where the program can be found.
Its a .rar file that you will to extract. In it there is .pdf file and/orr text file, you DO need to follow step by step on how to install the program.
http://www.sinodownloads.com/down/do...pa%20k+can.rar
NCS was installed during that process, and there were a LOT of files installed during that process. I see a few other PDFs in various folders but they all seem to be written in German?

Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Not sure where it is again, however if you dont have it, no problem, just follow the step I gave you earlier and it will work.
I have added that step in the guideline just in case someone runs into that issue as well.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 PM
juchong
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just for reference, if you have an AccessPort, install one of ALTA's mods, then use NCS Expert to modify a couple settings and then uninstall the AccessPort, you will not lose any changes made with NCS Expert!!

Old 03-29-2011, 04:05 PM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by war6763
Just for reference, if you have an AccessPort, install one of ALTA's mods, then use NCS Expert to modify a couple settings and then uninstall the AccessPort, you will not lose any changes made with NCS Expert!!

The AccessPort is modifying a completely different part of the car. At least as far as I understand the process, the INPA/NCS mods communicate with the OBC and related functional modules in the car, not the ECU...

Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There is neither an OBC or an ECU in a MINI. The access port probably interfaces with the DME module. NCS can modify all modules including the DME (however, I would advise against it).

Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
Interesting. I stand corrected then.

Is that to say that the INPA/K-CAN cable is capable of doing AccessPort-style modifications with the right software and/or know-how?

Last edited by alwzopn; 03-30-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:14 PM
oonemesisoo
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok well I decided to dive in and give this a shot, tried everything and only get as far as selecting CAS and get the error from the picture that is attached.
NCSExpert for beginners-error.jpg

Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 AM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
which datens are you using ? you have a countrymen 11 ?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:41 AM
oonemesisoo
2nd Gear
I followed the instructions in the first post. I do not believe I have anything new like v39 or v40. And yes 2011 countryman.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need newer datens, v39 or v40 will work.

EDIT: This is no longer the case, find v45 at a minimum.

Last edited by GeoffreyM; 03-19-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
for newer model you ll need to get the newest daten. In my instruction I have inserted an older one (that worked on my 09 MCS).
However, and as it is mentioned above) since you got the countryman, you need the latest one... I have tried to get it myself so I can link it up here too but failed to download the 13 .rar files ...

Old 04-07-2011, 09:55 AM
peeti
3rd Gear
First hint will be the new R designation probably in the daten folder. Right now we have R53 and R56, so when you see R60 appear, only then will this work for you. The issue is the software is getting a model response back from the ECU, then trying to find the right model info in the daten folders and not finding it. As the folks above said, V39 and V40 don't have R60 in them.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That's not true at all, there will be no R60 model specific datens!!! It is part of the R56 model generation vehicle. Exact same computer system. The inability to read the FRM is coming from a coding index difference. The V34 is available in my original post (at least I hope they are).

Old 04-07-2011, 11:31 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by peeti
First hint will be the new R designation probably in the daten folder. Right now we have R53 and R56, so when you see R60 appear, only then will this work for you. The issue is the software is getting a model response back from the ECU, then trying to find the right model info in the daten folders and not finding it. As the folks above said, V39 and V40 don't have R60 in them.
Strobey!

peeti, I have done all of the mods. there are actually only two sets. R50 and R56 or first and second gen platforms. I have to wait for V41 to get to two modules, FRM and MEDIA which replaced CAPPL when Connected got added.

I put up a youtube of my car opening and closing from the fob. I've done a bunch of others too. V39 or V40 works on my 20011 R60 and my wifes 2009 R55.

If anyone gets a copy of V41 speak up!!

Last edited by GeoffreyM; 04-07-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:00 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
I was gunna say that you did it with ur countryman aswell !!... anyway, I think its been said already
I got the datens V34 up on the 1st post if ppl are looking for it. Iam still trying to get the V40 but I must say that this 13 .rar files download is driving me nuts

Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
dose anyone live in south FL and would have a lill time to help me learn how to do all of this coding. I would like to do some small stuff like one touch sunroof but I'm not 100% sure I can do it with out killing me car on my own! please if anyone can help PM me thanks

Old 04-27-2011, 02:29 PM
gjn25
3rd Gear
ok i can Not get this to install at all someone help me pm me skype me something please!!!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:33 AM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gjn25
ok i can Not get this to install at all someone help me pm me skype me something please!!!
Problem solved order ur cable now

Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 AM
gjn25
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GTECKO
Problem solved order ur cable now
thank you for all your help i m ordering the new cable right now!!

Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 AM
threar
4th Gear
I've got a copy of the v41 spdaten files (66 RAR files is a pain in the rear). I've been playing with them but no luck so far, perhaps in the more skilled hands of others better guidance can be found (especially to get access to the Media modules in the R60).

Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by threar
I've got a copy of the v41 spdaten files (66 RAR files is a pain in the rear). I've been playing with them but no luck so far, perhaps in the more skilled hands of others better guidance can be found (especially to get access to the Media modules in the R60).
How big is the file ? is there a laden.bat in the r56 folder ? Pm me if you want and we ll see what we can do

Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 PM
threar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GTECKO
How big is the file ? is there a laden.bat in the r56 folder ? Pm me if you want and we ll see what we can do
The entire datens download is 13GB total (34GB uncompressed). The R56 specific files are 2.7GB total. I'll send you a PM and see how we can get moving forward.

Quick Reply: Electrical NCSExpert for beginners