Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

NCSExpert for beginners

Old 09-22-2011, 07:21 PM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't remember the menu option, but one of the choices on the top menu let's you connect devices to the VM. You have to use that when you connect you cable for it to be able to talk to the car. Maybe you have to do the same thing for your USB drive.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
yeah i connected it threw the top tab but i cant find it anywhere in the program.. like i go to control panel then find hardware.. not there.. i go to my computer. not there

Old 10-21-2011, 04:25 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
I see the change for the MINI Connected warning in the CHAMP module but my current configuration won't let me access it. I am running the latest version of NCSExpert but I've got the v34 daten files. I'm guessing the CHAMP module wants newer datens?

Also, has anyone had any luck with accessing the KOMBI module on a '12 model? I've tried twice and both times, it didn't turn out so well so I'm wondering it it will also respond better to the newer datens.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Jeremy Brooks
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if I am understanding this post correctly, the cable referred to in the first post (BMW INPA K+CAN) is the right cable for a 2012 Countryman?

Old 10-31-2011, 12:00 PM
gds194
4th Gear
Can the current configs be saved as a file, and then also can you save the changed configs as a file? Would like to be able to perform a quick restore to OEM if needed for warranty, and then go back to the "customized" config thereafter... Have not been able to check myself as my car is still on her maiden cruise from England!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:07 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
I'm at work and can't get to any of my tools but I've got a question from one of my club members re: coding.

Has anyone looked into coding a new key or reprogramming new keys so that a lost key won't work? The dealership does it through the OBDII port and I suspect it's in the CAS module but I'm not able to check on it for a while. Anyone have any insight into this? Thanks!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:14 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The WDS states the following:

Car access system (CAS)

Functional description, see BMW Technology:
TIS --> Document --> SI Technology --> SBT Number 61 03 03 019
Service functions

Replacing control units
The following points must be borne in mind when the CAS or the engine control unit are replaced:
  • If a CAS control unit is replaced, it must be ordered using the vehicle identification number (VIN). Following installation, that starting value must be adjusted to the engine control unit. This starting value adjustment is performed using the service function ”DME/DDE - CAS calibration” in the BMW diagnosis system.
  • If the engine control unit is replaced, the drive-enable code must be transferred from the CAS to the engine control unit following installation. This operation is also performed using the service function ”DME/DDE - CAS adjustment” in the BMW diagnosis system.
  • After the adjustment of the EWS and engine control unit, these are mutually linked. It is not possible to replace one of the two control units as a test.
DME/DDE - CAS adjustment
In the case of a new engine control unit, the service function ”DME/DDE - CAS adjustment” in the BMW diagnosis system is used to read the EWS drive-enable code from the CAS and transfer it into the engine control unit. This means that the engine control unit and the CAS control unit are mutually linked.
If the engine control unit is already linked to the CAS, the service function is used to perform a starting value calibration. This means that the random code calculation between the CAS and the engine control unit is calibrated.
A start calibration is required if there is a variance in the random codes caused by the influence of errors in the two control units.
As of EWS4, a start calibration is no longer required.
Locking the remote control/spare key
The service function ”Remote control/Lock/Enable Key” in the BMW diagnosis system can be used to lock or enable remote control keys or spare keys.
The locking is recommended when a remote control key or a spare key is lost or stolen. With a locked remote control key (or spare key), the engine cannot be started. The functions of the remote control are also locked.
A remote control key or a spare key can only be locked if the remote control key or spare key has been used at least once and it is not inserted in the ignition lock.
To perform the service function, it is required that a valid and enabled remote control key or a valid and enabled spare key is detected in the ignition lock.
Activating a new remote control
Insert the new remote control in the slot and hold in this position until the remote control locks into place. This can take up to ten seconds. After locking, wait another five seconds. The remote control is then ready for use.
If the remote control is a replacement for a lost or defective remote control, the old remote control still has to be blocked using the service function ”block/release” (see above). To use the Car/Key functions, the service function ”Personalisation number” has to be run.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:12 PM
2big4mycar
1st Gear
i used the download from this site for ncs, installed it and made the necessary files.
i open ncs and use revtor profile i get to the point were i choose "r56" it then gives an error saying my chassis is faulty. any suggestions?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:20 PM
2big4mycar
1st Gear
I started over and got the datens figured out, helps when you follow the pdf lol Im now getting a faulty vin. any suggestions?

VIN is faulty
COAPI-1060: error in coding discription file
A_E65CAS

Last edited by 2big4mycar; 11-27-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added error
Old 11-27-2011, 01:06 PM
2big4mycar
1st Gear
i figured out the vin problem.
im trying to remove the bulb checks. i went threw and changed all the ones needed to nicht_aktiv when i go to load it back into the car im getting another error

error in cabd! Look at CABI.ERR and ERROR.LOG!
COAPI-2000: EDIABAS or SGBD error
SYS-0005: ECU description file not found

Im slowly figuring out my mistakes but im afraid of messing something up

im using the v38 daten, not sure if i need both 38 and 40 or just one of the two.

Last edited by 2big4mycar; 11-27-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:07 PM
scf
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Neither of the links in the first post work for me. Any help?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Brad Bedell
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by scf View Post
Neither of the links in the first post work for me. Any help?

Thanks!
I'm not having any luck with finding daten files or NCS expert download links that work either. Didn't find anything on the bmw forum either.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Eury
1st Gear
I got mine with my cable. Ordered a package from a seller in the UK, came with 3 DVDs. Might be worth looking into since you'll probably have to buy a cable as well.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Brad Bedell
2nd Gear
Good to know. He seems cheap enough also.. I *think* I have a couple of cables that will work,otherwise this is a no-brainer. (they were used for flashing 7.8 DME in my Porsche)

Old 12-07-2011, 03:11 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
looks like a pogo stick in a mine field to me What will it get you?

Originally Posted by Brad Bedell View Post
I'm not having any luck with finding daten files or NCS expert download links that work either. Didn't find anything on the bmw forum either.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Brad Bedell
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM View Post
looks like a pogo stick in a mine field to me What will it get you?
It'll let me deactivate my old radio and activate the new one as well as activate the heated seats that I'm about to install. I'm sure there are countless other things that it will be useful for later on, but for now that's enough. But mostly, it will help me sever the umbilical cord from momma BMW.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:23 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Has anyone figured out additional features possible with the nav system? The european mini's can play dvds while in park. Anyone know if that is possible?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 PM
cjones2311
Neutral
All the links in the first post dont seem to work anymore. Does anyone have links to any that are still good? Thanks in advance!!!

Old 12-30-2011, 04:39 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
+1

Originally Posted by texasmontego View Post
Has anyone figured out additional features possible with the nav system? The european mini's can play dvds while in park. Anyone know if that is possible?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 AM
bksmith76
2nd Gear
i'm stuck.

I have the cable, multiple versions of all involved software (tried 6.4 and 7.1 eiadbas and lots of different datens in NCS) - and i can't get past trying to read my VIN in NCS. It always comes back and says VIN Faulty, no response from ECU.

any ideas?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
I had a similar issue before I deleted everything and then followed the "how-to" step by step. I was up and running right away after that. That would be my suggestion.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:54 PM
bksmith76
2nd Gear
yeah - i'll give it another shot. i feel like i've done this 5 times already, i'm leaning towards having a faulty cable except i can get both the battery and ignition circles filled in using INPA so i know the computer is seeing action at the car using the cable...

5th times a charm!

Old 01-15-2012, 03:12 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bksmith76 View Post
yeah - i'll give it another shot. i feel like i've done this 5 times already, i'm leaning towards having a faulty cable except i can get both the battery and ignition circles filled in using INPA so i know the computer is seeing action at the car using the cable...

5th times a charm!
Depending on when your car was built, it may be that pins 7 & 8 are jumped. You can find this out by opening the car end of your cable. If your car was built after 1/11 or so you will need to separate those pins.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:11 PM
bksmith76
2nd Gear
after over 50 hours invested i just found out my cable isn't a true D-Can cable... I missed the fine text saying it's kline only when i bought it. Totally my fault.

my mistake but at least i truly know where i went short! can't wait to get a new cable and get this puppy programmed...

Old 01-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Nick5811
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bksmith76 View Post

5th times a charm!
same boat here. I installed per the video instructions, followed the multiple DIY's I've found, and still getting the faulty vin/no connection to ECU errors.

I copied the bin files, the ini files, latency is 1, com port is 1, etc...

full black circles in INPA but I can't read to modules... my car is a 2005 so I shouldn't need the jumpered cable. IF ANYONE FIGURES THIS OUT, PLEASE SHARE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NCSExpert for beginners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: