Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical NCSExpert for beginners

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 08:19 PM
edwkmho
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Managed to find it, Thanks.

Will try to learn up the NCS programming now.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:02 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by edwkmho
Hi Guys,

Need help in obtaining the revtor.pfl v3.

Have installed BMW Standard Tools v2.12 but could not find the v3 profile for my 2009 fJCW.

Please help. Thanks.
Straight from REVTOR!!

To those still contacting me for "Revtor's NCS Expert Profile"... The profile has been renamed to "NCS Dummy profile" many years ago and download links are provided in chapter 6 of the NCS Dummy user manual. Unlike "Revtor's NCS Expert Profile", the "NCS Dummy profile" is available for both NCS Expert 3.* and 4.*. Furthermore the "NCS Dummy profile" defaults to reading trace files (CODIERDATEN_LESEN) instead of coding (SG_CODIEREN) which is more logical and safer.

NCS Dummy profile for NCS Expert 3.* (1 kB) (NCSDUMMY3.PFL)
NCS Dummy profile for NCS Expert 4.* (1 kB) (NCSDUMMY4.PFL)

Old 09-28-2014, 02:06 PM
claw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edwkmho
Hi Guys,

Need help in obtaining the revtor.pfl v3.

Have installed BMW Standard Tools v2.12 but could not find the v3 profile for my 2009 fJCW.

Please help. Thanks.
The profile is now called "NCS Dummy profile for NCS Expert 3", or "NCS dummy profile" only. Google it or search for Revtor's NCSDummy page.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 AM
edwkmho
2nd Gear
Many thanks Guys, got the profile.

Got NCE Expert working. But the INPA would not work when i select the N14 for my 2009 fJCW. Its looking for MED17.2N.IPO file which i could not find anywhere.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:48 PM
DOGTOR
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After months of reading NAM and Bimmerforums learning about NCS Expert, I finally took the plunge and tried coding my 2013 R56. And, I have to say, it went a lot more smoothly than I could have hoped. With all of the different problems people reported about faulty cables, faulty BEST errors, invalid VINs, obsolete datens files, etc., I’m going to attribute my success to beginner’s luck.

While there are scores of posts just like this, I thought I’d post a quick run down of my own experiences and what has worked for me, because I’ve learned through the hundreds (and probably thousands) of different posts that what works for some does not work for all. And, in the spirit of NAM, we should all be doing our part to pay it forward. It's not meant to be a complete step-by-step how-to (there are enough well-written resources for that), but rather a quick rundown of how my installation and troubleshooting process went.

If you’re new to NCS Expert, I highly recommend reading this post by vickumar at Bimmerforums called the “Dummies Guide to Basic coding with NCS Expert.” Understanding how the software all works is, at least for me, critical for being able to use it effectively and figuring out how to troubleshoot if necessary. It’s a plain English explanation of how NCS Expert works (ironically I didn’t see it until after I had started coding. But, at least it was confirmation that I had learned everything correctly.)

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ith-NCS-Expert

1. I downloaded and installed the complete package for BMW Standard Tools from this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...beginners.html
At the time of my download, it included v38 Datens, INPA, and EDIABAS (I have forgotten which version of EDIABAS, but it was less than 7.2).

2. I then searched for and downloaded additional datens. Having read so many problems with not being able to read certain modules (like the FRM module) due to outdated datens, I downloaded as many as I could find. I searched both NAM and Bimmerforums, and eventually ended up with two different copies of v38, as well as v45 and v51.2.

3. I purchased my D-CAN cable. I settled on this one, priced at $30:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EXI9KJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EXI9KJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It was priced great, was shipped domestically, and was Amazon Prime eligible, so I got it in less than 48 hours. And to confirm, it did have the GREEN circuit board.

4. As soon as I received the D-CAN cable, I installed the drivers as described in the installation directions by GTECKO as part of the download package in Step 1 above. I was using an old Toshiba laptop ca. 2005 that was running Windows Vista Home Edition. I followed the install directions to a T, and everything went perfectly. It did hang a little in between installing the two sets of drivers, but everything finished up without a problem.

5. I installed BWM Standard Tools by again following the explicit directions by GTECKO. Seamless install. However, I used v51.2 datens instead of the v38 that came with the package. So many posts have mentioned old datens as the cause for problems in reading modules that I didn’t think it was worth it to even try v38, especially since my car is a ’13 and these posts were mostly written in 2011 or so.

6. I connected all of the hardware to the car and launched INPA. Battery: ON, Ignition: ON. EDIABAS running in the system tray. Success!

7. Launched NCS Expert and loaded the Revtor profile, then closed INPA as per the installation directions. (I noticed once that if INPA was still running when trying proceed with NCS Expert, I received an error trying to read the VIN. I’m not sure if this was a fluke or not, but I haven’t had the problem since if INPA has been closed.) F1, F3, selected my chassis (R56) — VIN and FA loaded on the first go. I’m thinking to myself, Is it really this easy?

8. Let’s try reading a module. I loaded the CAS ECU first, since this seemed like a useful one from all of the coding posts. I hit F6 to go back and selected Process ECU to choose the CAS module. Now this is what made my butt pucker. SD_CODIEREN is staring me in the face with Execute Job right there looking so tempting. Beads of sweat start to form on my forehead and my heart rate jumps. (Don’t hit the wrong button…Don’t hit the wrong button…). F2 to Change Job…phew. CODIERDATEN_LESSEN. Now I can relax…No, wait! I still have to hit F3 to Execute Job. I still need to actually run a command and tell the car to do something. But, I’m only reading now, so it’s fine right? RIGHT??

EXECUTE… Coding ended. My car didn’t explode. And my trace file (FSW_PSW.TRC) was populated with “stuff.” I had no idea what it all said, but the fact that there was stuff in it told me that the whole NCS Expert business really can work.

9. Feeling pretty invincible at this point, let’s try a different module. Let try reading the FRM module — the one that everyone seems to need to code, but also the one that seems to throw the most errors in trying to read it. What happens for me? I get a Faulty BEST error.

After reading this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/210834-faulty-best-version-when-reading-frm-module-for-2011-r56-2.html https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/210834-faulty-best-version-when-reading-frm-module-for-2011-r56-2.html
, it seemed best to update EDIABAS to 7.2. I downloaded BMW Standard Tools 2.12 (I think it was through Bimmerforums). There were also a couple of other files available from that post. One was a folder with three additional NCS profies in it, the other was a random text file. I didn’t know what these were for, but I figured I’d download them anyway, because they’d probably be useful.

While there seems to be some very complicated ways of updating EDIABAS, I just uninstalled the previously-installed BMW tools using the Windows Uninstall function in the control panel, and then installed the new one. What actually confused me at first was the download for Standard Tools 2.12 was only a single .exe file, and the previous package I had downloaded had a lot of other stuff in it. I wondered if this one file was all I needed.

Turns out that it was. I installed everything by running the new executable file, following the same instructions from above and the same datens files (v51.2), and everything went just as smoothly. (NOTE: You do not need to reinstall the D-CAN drivers. Uninstalling the standard tools does not affect those drivers.)

10. Everything’s now in German. Launching INPA, EDIABAS, and NCS Expert went without a hitch. But, the new version of Standard Tools did not have an English translation file, so the menus and buttons are in German. As it turns out, that extra random text file that I downloaded along with Standard Tools 2.12 happened to be the translation file. Copying it to the proper subfolder in C:\NCSEXPER did the trick, but the menu items were still in German. Not a big deal, as it turns out.

11. The problem came when I went to File > Profil Laden (Load Profile — it’s in German now). Trying to load the Revtor Profile gave me an error. I don’t remember what the error was, but translated was something to the effect of the Profile was too old or obsolete.

Great. Now that I’ve updated the software, I can do even less than before. Wait a minute…

12 …I have a new folder with three new profiles in them (remember the ones that I downloaded along with BST 2.12?). So, I copied those into the profiles directory C:\NCSEXPER\PFL. Relaunching NCS Expert now gave me more profiles to choose from. In fact, one of those was another Revtor profile. I now had two profiles called Revtor’s NCS Expert Profile in my profiles list, and they both looked exactly the same. Which one is which? And will that make a difference? It did. SUCCESS! I chose the other (newer) profile and it worked

13. F1, F3, chassis selected — VIN and FA read on first try. F6 Back, then F4 to Process ECU and I selected FRM. The moment of truth… and It worked. I changed the job again from SD_CODIEREN to CODIERDATEN_LESSEN and successfully read the FRM module.

From here, I was able to start coding. The first thing I did was enabled my rear fog. Post #248 in this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...inners-10.html is exactly what you need. I’ll be playing with the sunroof functionality and front fogs eventually, as well.

The one thing I have not been able to do is edit a profile in NCS Expert. After entering in the password, nothing happens. No dialogue box, no settings to change, nothing. I guess it’s not a big deal, per se, but I would like to be able to properly default modules by inactivating trace manipulation, as opposed to writing just a blank .MAN file. I’ve honestly not found an explanation as to why writing a blank .MAN is bad (because lots of people do it), but it is not the “correct” way.

So, a million thanks to all of the NAMers and Bimmerforum members who have made all of this possible. The sense of community and willingness to help each other really sets this site apart.

Happy motoring!

The following users liked this post:
aabcds (06-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2014, 02:48 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DOGTOR
After months of reading NAM and Bimmerforums learning about NCS Expert,

11. The problem came when I went to File > Profil Laden (Load Profile — it’s in German now). Trying to load the Revtor Profile gave me an error. I don’t remember what the error was, but translated was something to the effect of the Profile was too old or obsolete.

Great. Now that I’ve updated the software, I can do even less than before. Wait a minute…
You haven't read enough:

Straight from REVTOR!!

To those still contacting me for "Revtor's NCS Expert Profile"... The profile has been renamed to "NCS Dummy profile" many years ago and download links are provided in chapter 6 of the NCS Dummy user manual. Unlike "Revtor's NCS Expert Profile", the "NCS Dummy profile" is available for both NCS Expert 3.* and 4.*. Furthermore the "NCS Dummy profile" defaults to reading trace files (CODIERDATEN_LESEN) instead of coding (SG_CODIEREN) which is more logical and safer.

NCS Dummy profile for NCS Expert 3.* (1 kB) (NCSDUMMY3.PFL)
NCS Dummy profile for NCS Expert 4.* (1 kB) (NCSDUMMY4.PFL)

Old 10-05-2014, 02:54 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Old 10-06-2014, 12:41 PM
DOGTOR
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
You haven't read enough:
Ha, I know, right? After posting I saw that. Oh well.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Cooper_Si
4th Gear
I've been trying for what feels like ages (2 months) to get an OBD cable and software to work on my MINI R56 2007 JCW to change some settings and defaults like bulb warning lights with no luck. First it was a cable that wasn't compatible, then the right cable but the included software didn't work, then found out windows 8 bricked the cable so I had to order another which also meant I had to reformat my laptop to stop it killing the new cable. Sounds fun doesn't it. Lol.

So on Sunday I got one half of the software (INPA) running, but the coding part (NCSExpert) was still being a royal PITA. After a good discussion with my friend Andy on Sunday over a doughnut and Cappucino, I rechecked some settings, and closed down the other half of the INPA software, and Bingo, I've now working coding software and cable

It's was a bit late now in the day, and I've waited two month already to get this far, but as a quick test I looked at removing all the cold and hot monitoring of all the bulbs on my MINI. This means in English, if a bulb goes out, or if you fit an LED bulb it throws up bulb warning lights on your rev counter. Now with all the monitoring turned off, I no longer get silly messages come up on my dash, and I no longer need to use expensive Canbus style LEDS! Result!

Sorry to waffle on but I'm over the moon, and if it wasn't for NAM (especially this thread and the install package on post 1) and Andy, I'd have given up a long time ago

More news to follow on what coding can and can't do soon, because I need to chill out and relax now.

Oh,and all this on my windows 8 64 bit laptop too, just without any updates, as this is renowned for killing new cables with a certain FTDI chip.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:25 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I would love being able to change some features on my MINI but the more I read the more I feel that this process is a total nightmare. I wish it was a lot more straight forward for total newbies, or that I knew someone near by that could run me through it in person . . .

Old 12-10-2014, 02:37 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
I would love being able to change some features on my MINI but the more I read the more I feel that this process is a total nightmare. I wish it was a lot more straight forward for total newbies, or that I knew someone near by that could run me through it in person . . .
The guys at Helix probably can do it (they might use INPA) Not sure how close they are to you.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:16 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
You might want to checkout BMWHAT App for Android or BMWHAT App for iPhone. It's not cheap, but it avoids any messing with NCSexpert and the various other windows tools.

You'll need a known-good WiFi-ODB adapter.

There are "Lite" versions you can use to ensure it works with your car before buying the expensive app.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it myself!

Old 12-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Cooper_Si
4th Gear
Bmwhat is quite limited actually. Yes it'll get your window up working, and a few other tricks, and is way easier to connect to a wifi dongle, but doesn't give you full control like ncsexpert

Old 12-11-2014, 08:45 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
The guys at Helix probably can do it (they might use INPA) Not sure how close they are to you.
Unfortunately, they are a bit far from me...

Originally Posted by bratling
You might want to checkout BMWHAT App for Android or BMWHAT App for iPhone. It's not cheap, but it avoids any messing with NCSexpert and the various other windows tools.

You'll need a known-good WiFi-ODB adapter.

There are "Lite" versions you can use to ensure it works with your car before buying the expensive app.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it myself!
That is certainly interesting. Yes expensive but not that expensive considering the features I may get (assuming I get those features). Heck an hour at the dealer and one can almost buy 2 of those

Originally Posted by Cooper_Si
Bmwhat is quite limited actually. Yes it'll get your window up working, and a few other tricks, and is way easier to connect to a wifi dongle, but doesn't give you full control like ncsexpert
Yes, of course . . . but such as?
It's alway good to have full control but 1. full control can let you mess things up and 2. what's the value of full control when one doesn't know what to do with it. I'm not saying it's not attractive. Just that I don't understand NCSexpert to know what it actually would allow me to do that someone like me would actually do...

Last edited by TG.; 12-13-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:48 PM
TG.
6th Gear
So, what's the latest on the most trusted source for the INPA K+CAN K+DCAN cable?

My hope is to give a shot to BMWhat via USB for the short term, and a little later (when I have more time) get into NCS Expert...

Old 12-14-2014, 12:18 AM
Cooper_Si
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
So, what's the latest on the most trusted source for the INPA K+CAN K+DCAN cable?

My hope is to give a shot to BMWhat via USB for the short term, and a little later (when I have more time) get into NCS Expert...
BMWhat is specific for iPhone or android using a wifi dongle, you won't be able to use USB I'm afraid.

I would strongly advise you research BMWhat on the specific website and it'll tell you how it works, and there also a coding section in the site that will tell you what is possible to be coded by clicking on the R56 tab (along with other BMW models)

My Cable is from Autodiag from Amazon. It also came with an OBD adaptor too, because mines an early build R56 where two pins in the socket are swapped over for diag purposes, the adapter saves having to join, swop, remove things, Etc etc.

I spent a good two-three months investigating how all this works, and I'm glad i did too, it's a mine field out there of conflicting information. Good luck

Old 12-14-2014, 01:21 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
A lot of the coding with BMWhat is focused on door locking. Car jacking is not high on my list of concerns so not much use to me have contacted them and waiting for a reply about other possible coding.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:40 AM
Cooper_Si
4th Gear
True on the locking, almost half of the coding is to do with different sections on the locking but what bugged me is things like "cas-unlock rear window with footwell switch" is not even to do with MINIs, yet it shows up for R56 coding.

Other things inc like...
Power window functions
Lighting interior/exterior inc welcome light options
Digital Speedo on Rev counter
Gearshift indicator (yet this doesn't work on my build of R56
Ignition key options
Speedo correction

Old 12-14-2014, 02:41 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Yeah its kinda funny they want to charge for service reset on top of the cost of the app which you can do for free with the button on the end of the indicator stalk.

When I first read about this app I thought sweet but now not so much! I'll wait and see if their able to add some coding that's worth having before I loss complete interest.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:34 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cooper_Si
BMWhat is specific for iPhone or android using a wifi dongle, you won't be able to use USB I'm afraid.
They mentioned both on their website:

see NMWhat USB ODB cable tab:
http://www.ivini-apps.com/apps_detai...t_android.html

So it seems certainly possible

Old 01-01-2015, 02:49 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I need help help. I have successfully added $655 (satellite radio) to my vehicle order string (both CAS an FRM) as confirmed by looking at the fa.trc file.

Next, the instructions say to default the vehicle (at least the RAD2).

1.) How do you default the vehicle? And do you have to recode previous changes (not really a big deal - I wrote it all down)

2.) How do you default individual modules?

3.) I can't read my RAD2 module it has ALWAYS given an error, both before the FA changes and after. I'm hesitant on defaulting the module because I don't have a backup. Nw looking at the trc file from the read, it does put out something but heck if I know if it's complete.

Basically the translated error states that it cannot connect to RAD2 or that RAD2 does not respond. Now I have ALWAYS done this with the radio off - maybe could that be the problem hmmm...

FYI - I'm using DATENS 49.4 which have alway worked flawlessly.

Any updates to accessing the 2RAD module on a 2013?

Want to remove the rear speaker eq filter, by ticking HIFI, but can't access the 2RAD MODULE.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:01 PM
s0ph34k
1st Gear
bmwhat is possible with usb cable

Originally Posted by TG.
They mentioned both on their website:

see NMWhat USB ODB cable tab:
http://www.ivini-apps.com/apps_detai...t_android.html

So it seems certainly possible
I want to confirm for you guys that the bmwhat app will work with your dcan usb cable. You guys will need an otg (on the go) adapter cable (cheap one off ebay) to connect to your phone (I'm using Samsung Galaxy S4). The app seems a bit limited compared to ncsexpert but you'll be able to unlock some cool features out of your car.

edit: The app is user friendly (not in German). I believe you can read fault codes on the app but not sure if you can disable them. I was able to mess around with a few features like... windows, lights and sunroof but I changed all those already with ncs expert. I don't have the app installed anymore so I wouldn't be able to assist you guys with it.

Last edited by s0ph34k; 01-02-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:50 PM
djenks76
1st Gear
Would using NCSExpert allow me to enable a retrofitted 6 disc changer?

Thanks

Old 01-31-2015, 09:54 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by djenks76
Would using NCSExpert allow me to enable a retrofitted 6 disc changer?

Thanks
My understanding is yes it will.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 PM
djenks76
1st Gear
That would be awesome. Dealer wants $1299 for the whole shebang...just the programming alone would $350.

Quick Reply: Electrical NCSExpert for beginners