Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CAI for R56 (home made)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:41 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does that piece have anything to do with preventing water from going into the hood?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:55 PM
ugliboi_87
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just got mine done today, i love the PSSTTTTTT sound so much, however i haven't noticed any hp gain or nothing on the performance. :( so sadddddddd

Old 04-29-2008, 08:37 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ugliboi_87
i just got mine done today, i love the PSSTTTTTT sound so much, however i haven't noticed any hp gain or nothing on the performance. :( so sadddddddd
I just did it a few days ago as well. I definitely noticed a gain when I drove at night and it was cool out. However, its pushing 100 degrees here in AZ, and I don't think it likes the heat. Plus, I have not removed the hood scoop like others, so I'm sure its just baking in there, sucking hot air in. Still toying with other options or going back to stock.

I LOVE to hear the spooling turbo under boost though...even more so than the PSSST BOV noise (i think thats almost kind of tacky...although its growing on me ).

Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
ugliboi_87
2nd Gear
HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

i got mine done yesterday morning, and then at night, the check engine light came on............ :(
how can i fix this????????

Old 04-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Murathan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pillar
does that piece have anything to do with preventing water from going into the hood?
I dont think it prevent the water because water goes in any case. Besides r56 motor is pretty strong against water, i already washed whole thing 3 times..

Old 05-01-2008, 06:15 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ugliboi_87
i got mine done yesterday morning, and then at night, the check engine light came on............ :(
how can i fix this????????
How did you have it set up? Filter straight to the MAF or Filter+Elbow into the MAF? Too much oil on the filter possibly...which has gotten on the MAF causing the Check engine light.

I did mine a few days ago, and I just have the filter directly attached to the MAF like mikeg orignally did at the begining of this thread. I have put about 600 miles on it since and no CEL....knock on wood. I'm going to either go back to stock or change it around...just sucks too much hot air in.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:33 PM
pillar
5th Gear
here it is... the car rattles soo much its ridiculous. the maf was rubbing on the strut bar so badley that a corner edge of it started to chip. i had to turn the maf out of its rubber grove.
the zip ties prevented the filter from smacking the air box. the trueflow has this metal cage thing around the foam filter which made it really easy to zip tie it to the latches in the back. i also had to zip tie the silicone pipe to the stock air box as well. sounds freakin awesome
DSC00400.jpg?t=1210435217

Old 05-21-2008, 06:32 PM
chris410
1st Gear
This is great...I recently joined and put up a post. Well, previously I used to race/tune Toyota Supras so I am pretty familiar with turbo setups. Well, I ended up running to autozone and put on a cotton/intake and wham...got the sound I so missed and the wonderful blow-off valve sound.Car feels slightly more responsive so I am actually happy that it does not feel too much faster for warranty concerns. I would imagine this mod would not hurt anything or even pose a problem with warranty however, the beauty of this mod is the fact that is is so easy to put back to stock.Well, I am reading through this post but I do feel fortunate that I came up with this...although seeing this post would have shortened the time I had to figure this out :-PGood stuff everyone! Tomorrow I am putting one on my wife's MCS 6-speed

Old 05-21-2008, 06:45 PM
chris410
1st Gear
Originally Posted by karlInSanDiego
k. held my tongue long enough. The R56 has EXTREME under hood temperatures. Try placing your hand on the hood 10 minutes after shutting the car off. You can't. I am very skeptical that breathing air from under the hood will be in any way shape or form - Cold Air. I'm glad folks are anxious to go K&N, but am I the only one who thinks drawing fresh air from the front of the car via the original intake is better than unrestricted 150+ degree heat that still has still yet to get ground through the turbo? If it's going to be a CAI, then it better act like a snorkle and grab a fresh source. Back/top of engine is not it, and when that tube from the front of the car is unhooked from the airbox, no air will be drawn in by it. Its source hole is not in direct path of air to act as an air ram. I'd even go so far as to guess that after it's unhooked, it's likely to push hot under-hood air back in front of your rad. Without a proper temperature gauge you won't even know if you've managed to mess up the cooling system. Sorry to rain on everyone's parade with my infernal skepticism. Anyone get one of these home brews on a dyno or check ODB for water temp to see if temperature of your charge is affecting power or worse?
That is a very valid and excellent point. 1. I left the stock inlet so cool air is coming in.2. Even with the enclosed system the intake is still heating up so the difference isn't as much as we'd hope for. 3. The intercooler plays the larger role, this air is only traveling about 14 inches at a rate faster than the motor will heat it, the real area for improvement/concern is with the intercooler.Basically, here's the short way of describing it travels to the turbo inlet, the turbo inlet is induced by exhaust gas on the turbo exhaust housing which increases the inlet speed which flows through the intercooler then to the motor. So, as long as your intercooler is flowing/working correctly even having warm air is -OK- I would recommend that everyone retain the inlet from the stock airbox or add one in because you do want cooler air coming into the engine bay. If you remove this then what Karl said comes into play to a point where the inlet will digest heated air which will rob you of power. It will not cause issues but you will not have as much power as you could have.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:50 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
hey pillar i bet that trueflow sucks alot of air in. i did the same setup awhile back. those trueflows are huge aint they.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:21 PM
chris410
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Niziex
I was wondering does anyone have 100% proof that the MAF sensor is seriously messed up by not having the "blown off" air comming back into the system. or if everything is fine, and you get to hear the PSST sound and pretend to be in an impreza, without major loss... people were talking about the car running too rich etc... but I would like to know if anyone ACTUALLY knows, not just someone making an excuse to stop the ricers. Thx!
From what I observed tonight NO...Basically, there is an inlet hose which goes to the bottom of the intake from the grill. From there you have the airbox which connects to the MAF.Unless the blow-off valve is connected to the inlet prior to the bottom of the airbox (right below) the blow-off discharge will not do anything for the car or MAF reading.Now, I performed the mod tonight and I went with the standard Autozone cotton filter because they do not flow as much air as a K&N so basically, my goal was to retain the same flow and I think I have done that. As far as the blow-off valve, I opened the throttle and quickly closed it and then opened it again and the car ran 100% fine. So far, no issues however, I will update after this weekend because I will be driving the car quite a bit. From what I have read nobody has ran into issues so far and I wouldn't see why you would. Worst case, on some hot days in bumper to bumper traffic the car will ingest hot air but even that shouldn't be anything the intercooler/radiator could not handle.Then again, if you look at the stock intake, bumper to bumper traffic you are still ingesting hot air so I hope the motor is efficient enough to handle that scenario.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:02 AM
pillar
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ENGINE 58
hey pillar i bet that trueflow sucks alot of air in. i did the same setup awhile back. those trueflows are huge aint they.
oh you freakin bet your ***!!! i now drive without music because i love hearing the thing!.

Last edited by pillar; 05-23-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 AM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
i wouldnt bet my *** , i have one . sweet isnt it.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:36 AM
chris410
1st Gear
Ok, quick update...my wife has driven hers to and from work and then to the track. So far, mileage is about the same if not slightly better. Uphill, no lag at all, as a matter of fact the car is a bit more responsive. As far as power gain, I cannot really tell by the seat of the pants but I'd have to guess there's a little bit of a gain.One thing I did notice on my car (07 MCS auto) and her car (08 MCS 6-speed) is the hood does have an opening which is flowing air into the engine bay so I was very pleased because I thought it was closed off.Anyhow, so far so good! I would recommend the cotton filter for those who have noticed any issues...the one I am running is the "spectre" cotton air filter with the 3" inlet which you can buy at Autozone for around $20. I must say, between the added response and the car finally sounding like a turbo I am very very pleased. And the fact that the mod is so easy to reverse. Looooooooove it! :-)

Old 05-29-2008, 11:23 AM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
New set up. . .big difference from before using silicone elbow and K&N filter.

More sound and DEF more power. Previously I had spectre brand filter and was using a 90 deg elbow from pep boys, in the "performance" section. I felt a lag in the lower rpms. Now, power is improved in low rpms and high rpms. All in all it cost me about $120. Filter was ~ $65, stainless steel tubing from speed shop was $26, hose was $17 and clamps X3 ~$6.

Really this filter rocks!!! No changes felt with higher temps high 80s low to mid 90s. I am very pleased with my set up and until someone else proves their's is sig superior, I would not change a thing.

Attached Thumbnails CAI for R56 (home made)-cai_new_a.jpg  

Last edited by tedbone72P; 05-29-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 AM
chris410
1st Gear
Ok, back from the track and the car ran flawless. Gas mileage was good, about the same to be honest. The car is no doubt more responsive and feels a hair quicker by the seat of the pants.

Today I drove in and had the radio off...why MINI did not design the car to sound like this from the factory is beyond me!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:35 AM
Ex-Pat Brit
4th Gear
Am trying to keep "Smudge" looking stock on the outside, SO if I just dremeled the hood scoop, would that bring enough or indeed any air coming through it??

Old 05-31-2008, 01:10 PM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
i'm pretty sure others have done the same with good results. I initially thought to do this but I don't have the patience.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:03 PM
ShaggyMike
1st Gear
nice setup tedbone, where did you get the filter from?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:50 PM
tedbone72P
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ShaggyMike
nice setup tedbone, where did you get the filter from?
I purchased it from local spped shop company "Murray's", here in Florida. I searched for it initially on the K&N website, got the part number and fortunantly Murray 's is huge and they had it in stock, along with the SS pipe that I cut down.

K&N Part# RR3002 Blue

they also come in red and polished (red, blue, chrome). polished is about 20 bucks more.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:51 AM
tachicardia
2nd Gear
So I wanted to follow up on my quest for a decent bracket to hold the CAI down. A few pages earlier I had a pic of the CAI sitting on a single bracket with only one mounting point. It worked fine, but the bracket was slowly twisting sideways and the filter was starting to point up toward the hood, and I didn't want it to start rubbing. I wanted to make a new bracket with two mounting points and bring the filter down into the bay a little more, and more in line with the hood scoop so the air could flow over and around it. Anyway, this is what I came up with. It works great! I will try to post a pic of it in the engine bay, but here is the setup out of the car:

Old 06-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
Those that have read my "Clean your intercooler" thread will have read abot the oil I found in the IC outlet pipe.

I was running my version of the open pod filter and opened hood scoop that a number of others have done.

The problem that I found is that the oil in the IC was milky which shows that during heavy rain, water is getting in, enough to leave a nice watery oil collection.

I have decided that his mod is a dry season only mod, back to the JCW airbox in wet weather. The good thing is it does not take long to change.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:04 PM
KanPhotography
1st Gear
Hello,

I just picked up my mini yesterday and today i did this mod w/o the elbow. i took it out for a 45 min spin to test it out and when i got back i popped the hood and under the metal cover for the turbo it was orange like steel in a steel mill. Is this normal? and this was only after a 45 min drive whats gonna happen after a 6 hr drive the turbo will melt !?!?!?!?

Just so no one gets confused the cover was not orange the turbo under the cover looked orange.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KanPhotography
Hello,

I just picked up my mini yesterday and today i did this mod w/o the elbow. i took it out for a 45 min spin to test it out and when i got back i popped the hood and under the metal cover for the turbo it was orange like steel in a steel mill. Is this normal? and this was only after a 45 min drive whats gonna happen after a 6 hr drive the turbo will melt !?!?!?!?

Just so no one gets confused the cover was not orange the turbo under the cover looked orange.
Lol....

Yes, thats normal if you drive it hard. Thats also why people's hood scoops are melting. Turbos are HOT. If its glowing red like that, never shut the car off till it cools down a bit and stops glowing.

It would actually be cooler on a 6 hr drive, the heat only increases under boost.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 PM
KanPhotography
1st Gear
good deal thank you!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain CAI for R56 (home made)