Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CAI for R56 (home made)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:14 PM
RR56
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys my car was really turin heads on the Dragon! Coming into Deals Gap Resort at full dig in 2nd and the dumping the throttle everyone went "what the F*&$?" sounded iller in the car on my passes too.

MOST NOTABLE: I got 38.2 mpg @ 75 mph on the return trip. Going down we averaged 96.2 mph and I got 32.4 mpg! definately seeing improvement in MPG with the filter installed!

Old 05-06-2007, 06:35 PM
thlaxx
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still looking for help on removing hoodscoop if anyone could....post early about my problem in this thred.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:03 PM
RR56
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thlaxx
still looking for help on removing hoodscoop if anyone could....post early about my problem in this thred.
Remove the rubber cap inside the hood, remove screw, pull up on the scoop from the outside. Has like 6 spots that it snaps into.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:50 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Originally Posted by usman88
I just bought the spectre and did the install..but it's having trouble staying on. I finally got it on and went for a drive and it sounded great, but a few minutes later, my acceleration slowed so I stopped the car, popped the hood, and saw it had disconnected. Any tips?
Clean both mounting areas good with alcohol and tighten really good. I had mine come loose, after cleaning and retightening it's been good. Sounds great with the windows down.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
There's detailed instructions for removing the hood scoop earlier in the thread. BTW that blue filter on the blue car looks , maybe I should've gotten one of those Green brand filters I've noticed a mileage increase as well, but then again the car is already soooo good on gas, awesome!

Old 05-07-2007, 04:37 PM
thlaxx
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
There's detailed instructions for removing the hood scoop earlier in the thread. BTW that blue filter on the blue car looks , maybe I should've gotten one of those Green brand filters I've noticed a mileage increase as well, but then again the car is already soooo good on gas, awesome!
If you looked at those detailed instructions, i posted them, i got them from another thread, so yes i know they're thanks,

but if you look at them, the part where i was having trouble was not well described. once you undo the star scew, the whole hoodscoop comes off and your not just pulling the black plastic, i did not know that untill mariokart helped me out, i have it now. thank you mariokart.

this i what i did

its a fiber glass mesh/screen, just cut it, screwd it in, then later i added some tape to keep it evenly tight on the edges. barely barely noticable at all, and gives it some protection while letting all the air in.

Last edited by thlaxx; 05-07-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
Nice job on that thlaxx

Old 05-08-2007, 12:22 AM
XaLia
2nd Gear
i would like to show you and mine custom intake(still working on it)
i have made a custom air box and made a hole on the bottom where i connected the pipe that provides air from the front..

Here is a picture:

I would like to say that my mini doesnt have the maf sensor on the intake.
i dont know where is it but sure its not on the intake

Last edited by XaLia; 05-08-2007 at 12:25 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 AM
SEAL6
4th Gear
So with you guys that have the CAI mod...any chance of getting a recording of the sound, I'm curious to hear what it sounds like with some engine reving.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
I wouldn't mind adding an elbow and moving it so it runs even with the stock air inlet.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by XaLia
i would like to show you and mine custom intake(still working on it)
i have made a custom air box and made a hole on the bottom where i connected the pipe that provides air from the front..

Here is a picture:

I would like to say that my mini doesnt have the maf sensor on the intake.
i dont know where is it but sure its not on the intake
I like the elbow and heat shield, but hold on a second....NO MAF!? Is the car running OK?

Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 AM
RR56
1st Gear
I like the heat shield but the MAF not being present there is a new one. When was your car produced, maybe it was a change.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:07 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Damn, I should've waited because I went to the local speed shop this afternoon, told the guy I needed a universal K&N that has a 3" inlet and a total of 5" length and the part number I got was RU-3580. The price was $35.00 plus tax. I guess I'll see how it goes tomorrow.
More like warm air intake for R56. Nice.

K&N RX4990 Universal X-stream clamp on. 3"Flg, 6"B, 5"T, 5-9/16"H
http://automoten.com/fuel-system2/142.html
Air Filter Element, Round Tapered, Cotton Gauze, Red, 3 in. Inlet Diameter, ** Shape: Round tapering ** Height (in): 5.563 in. ** Inlet Flange Inside Diameter (in): 3.000 in. ** Top Diameter (in): 5.000 in. ** Bottom Diameter (in): 5.563 in. ** Filter Color: Red ** Filter Material: Cotton gauze bandage ** Notes: End crest uses the K&N Extreme stra

K&N RU-3580 Universal Rubber filter 3"Flg, 6"B, 4"T, 5"H

These reusable K&N Filtercharger air filters outflow any other filter--up to 900 cfm--for power gains of up to 15 HP. They use a surgical cotton fabric soaked in oil as their tack barrier. Sandwiched between an aluminum screen wire, the holes in the cotton catch tumbling air and straighten it out. Since air moving in a straight line flows faster, the filter actually improves airflow. They can be covered by up to 1/4 in. of debris before air restriction makes cleaning necessary. The filters come pre-oiled, and many are available as a direct fit for your application.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
So Minihune, you think I should get the Xtreme model then or what? With the end of the filter right up against the firewall I can't see that much more air getting in there anyways and besides, its getting alot of air from the outside as I kept the air inlet in place, check it out:
Name:  100_4910.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  156.0 KB
Name:  100_4913.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  131.2 KB
Name:  100_4909.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  138.8 KB

Old 05-08-2007, 11:09 AM
XaLia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I like the elbow and heat shield, but hold on a second....NO MAF!? Is the car running OK?
When i read for the first time at this topic something about the maf i didnt believe it but when i saw a photo i realised that there is for sure a maf..
I dont know if my mini dont has a maf or it has somewhere else but i dont see it..The car is working properly and it hasnt any problem..
Its january production.
The only thing comes to my mind is that the european minis have differences than the american minis??

Old 05-08-2007, 11:22 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
So Minihune, you think I should get the Xtreme model then or what? With the end of the filter right up against the firewall I can't see that much more air getting in there anyways and besides, its getting alot of air from the outside as I kept the air inlet in place, check it out:
Yes the Xtreme filter looks a little better/larger with filter element at the top end. I used to use a K&N filter like that before.

I guess it boils down to air flow rate for each and surface area.

If a test were done using both and dyno the results it may or may not show much difference though. That would be one way to test. Otherwise check any difference in sound. Size is similar enough. Color is the same.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I just ordered my RX-4990. Hopefully it'll be here in a few days and I can do some datalogging this weekend!

--->XaLia: What country are you in? It's fascinating to know the R56 can operate in Speed Density mode. ....just one more piece to the puzzle, thank you!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 PM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
k. held my tongue long enough. The R56 has EXTREME under hood temperatures. Try placing your hand on the hood 10 minutes after shutting the car off. You can't. I am very skeptical that breathing air from under the hood will be in any way shape or form - Cold Air. I'm glad folks are anxious to go K&N, but am I the only one who thinks drawing fresh air from the front of the car via the original intake is better than unrestricted 150+ degree heat that still has still yet to get ground through the turbo? If it's going to be a CAI, then it better act like a snorkle and grab a fresh source. Back/top of engine is not it, and when that tube from the front of the car is unhooked from the airbox, no air will be drawn in by it. Its source hole is not in direct path of air to act as an air ram. I'd even go so far as to guess that after it's unhooked, it's likely to push hot under-hood air back in front of your rad. Without a proper temperature gauge you won't even know if you've managed to mess up the cooling system. Sorry to rain on everyone's parade with my infernal skepticism. Anyone get one of these home brews on a dyno or check ODB for water temp to see if temperature of your charge is affecting power or worse?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 PM
XaLia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I just ordered my RX-4990. Hopefully it'll be here in a few days and I can do some datalogging this weekend!

--->XaLia: What country are you in? It's fascinating to know the R56 can operate in Speed Density mode. ....just one more piece to the puzzle, thank you!
I live in Greece..
I will send a better picture so you can see better!!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by karlInSanDiego
If it's going to be a CAI, then it better act like a snorkle and grab a fresh source. Back/top of engine is not it, and when that tube from the front of the car is unhooked from the airbox, no air will be drawn in by it. Its source hole is not in direct path of air to act as an air ram. I'd even go so far as to guess that after it's unhooked, it's likely to push hot under-hood air back in front of your rad.
So what your saying is that its time for someone to make an extention to the existing snorkle once the airbox is removed... and/or make a funnel/snokle set up that attaches to the hood (where the sound matting is, just behind the scoop) and direct air from the opened up hood scoop, directly at the new mass flow filter?

Old 05-09-2007, 05:43 AM
RR56
1st Gear
Here is how I made sure I was getting cooler air. ALTAs dyno shows a 12 hp increase as well. I looked at their intake at the Dragon and it isnt much different than what we are doing

Old 05-09-2007, 05:48 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Now is that 90-degree joint left over after the airbox is removed? Or did you find a piece of tubing that would work?

Old 05-09-2007, 05:52 AM
RR56
1st Gear
I just turned the 90 up. took some time to get it to fit in that direction but it is secure. You can blow into the scoop by the headlamp and feel it at the filter so it def feeds more air

Old 05-09-2007, 10:01 AM
thlaxx
4th Gear
now karlinS, is what rr56 did good? you think itll work according to you opinion?

Old 05-09-2007, 05:31 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
+1 on the sound clip. maybe a dyno vid.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain CAI for R56 (home made)