Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 AM
NYTransplant
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Accessport will be here on Friday Buying used from a fellow NAM'er.

Believe it or not, I've read every single post in this thread and I'm not going to ask about P&B, EU cars, 2011's, does it eliminate codes, can I run stage 3 if I change out my cat-back ... yadda yadda.

I did just order a temp gauge from Alta though, because I can't believe MINI would ship a car without one. I know the maps regulate boost based on temperature, but I hate not being able to monitor temperature.

Anyway, Thanks to everyone for all the info in the thread. I can't wait to try it out!!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:21 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
>> I did just order a temp gauge from Alta though, because I can't believe MINI would ship a car without one. <<

Mini, in their foolish bid to maintain ALL of the goofiness that was on the original Mini, especially the ridiculously over-large speedometer, left virtually no room for any more gauges.

However, I found a solution early-on - ScanGauge II. It plugs into the OBD port and can monitor a TON of different engine functions. Currently I have mine monitoring:

1) Water Temp.
2) Voltage
3) Intake Air Temp
4) Turbo Boost

I have it installed to the left of my steering wheel in between the wheel and the air con vent. I used Velcro to affix it, works like a champ. And, the ScanGuage allows you to change its display color - mine is set to closely mimic the orange mood lighting/gauge lighting.

I think I paid about $125, some of the best money I ever spent on the car...

-RW-

Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 AM
NYTransplant
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rlw
>> I did just order a temp gauge from Alta though, because I can't believe MINI would ship a car without one. <<

Mini, in their foolish bid to maintain ALL of the goofiness that was on the original Mini, especially the ridiculously over-large speedometer, left virtually no room for any more gauges.

However, I found a solution early-on - ScanGauge II. It plugs into the OBD port and can monitor a TON of different engine functions. Currently I have mine monitoring:

1) Water Temp.
2) Voltage
3) Intake Air Temp
4) Turbo Boost

I have it installed to the left of my steering wheel in between the wheel and the air con vent. I used Velcro to affix it, works like a champ. And, the ScanGuage allows you to change its display color - mine is set to closely mimic the orange mood lighting/gauge lighting.

I think I paid about $125, some of the best money I ever spent on the car...

-RW-
I believe the Accessport does the same. I will monitor those variables occasionally. I just like to have the temperature reading right in front of me all the time since I don't plan on leaving the AP plugged in.

Besides, I need to balance out the tach with a temp gauge on the opposite side of my boost gauge.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:06 PM
akent
1st Gear
I am most impressed!
I emailed Christina a few times at Alta (Perrin?) a few times to get my car right with the order for the AP. She was instant in responses!

She said someone would be calling me about the maps.

Chris (young but very intelligent fellow) called right away. I told him that my JCW coupe was box stock, but I would like to play later. He was going to include maps for various throttle ratios and asked a few questions on how I drive my JCW.

This is all VERY impressive!

I can't wait to get this toy and feel what the talk is all about!

Best to all of you!
Kent

Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by akent
I am most impressed!
I emailed Christina a few times at Alta (Perrin?) a few times to get my car right with the order for the AP. She was instant in responses!

She said someone would be calling me about the maps.

Chris (young but very intelligent fellow) called right away. I told him that my JCW coupe was box stock, but I would like to play later. He was going to include maps for various throttle ratios and asked a few questions on how I drive my JCW.

This is all VERY impressive!

I can't wait to get this toy and feel what the talk is all about!

Best to all of you!
Kent
It's indicative of how they take care of things. I'm on a road trip in the Mountain West, I email Jeff about a map for that and with an hour, I have a new map.....incredible

-Steven

Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
There needs to be more companies willing to offer tunes for this thing to be worth the price tag. I have a tune by OXSpeed and it is awesome and they are working with me to fine tune it now. I think if people learned how to tune and started it uploading them the AP would be single handily the best product for the MINI.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:40 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
From the current Cobb tuners that I've talked to, it's not worth it to many of them invest in the MINI AccessTuner Pro software, as the MINI market is too small and they won't recoup the costs well enough

Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 AM
adcam
2nd Gear
Just installed the Stage 1 on my JCW. I feel my car shifts smoother now. Expensive, yes it is But with the other features it offers, I think it is reasonably priced.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:48 AM
NYTransplant
2nd Gear
My Accessport came in today. Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

One question; I heard it mentioned a few times that after a purchase from Alta, Chris would call and discuss driving style, mods & such to help you choose maps. Is this to choose from the standard maps, or are there other maps that are available as well?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello, the call would be to pretty much figure out which would be the best map to run. 99% of the time, you would run one of our maps preloaded on the AccessPORT. If you are looking for something custom though, let us know. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:50 AM
NYTransplant
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Hello, the call would be to pretty much figure out which would be the best map to run. 99% of the time, you would run one of our maps preloaded on the AccessPORT. If you are looking for something custom though, let us know. Thanks!
Thanks Chris!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:38 AM
NYTransplant
2nd Gear
Installed the Stage I FMIC 92+ TPS map this morning. From a very short drive I can feel that the midrange is definitely stronger, and you can feel the pull all the way through from 4k to the top of the RPM range. According to my gauge, I went from 13 PSI to 18 PSI.

Very nice addition to the car!

Old 08-04-2012, 05:43 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed my Accessport Wednesday - all I can say is wow - the gobs of torque throw this car around

Best money you could ever spend

Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 PM
akent
1st Gear
Amazing!

HAH!!!
I am a believer now!

I just flashed the Stage 1 92 octane linear throttle into my JCW Coupe!!!

This is how the car should have been from the beginning! Now I utter a gutteral laugh when I nail the throttle! Oh yea!

I hope I never have to reflash stock!

I am completely blown away!

Thanks Alta!
Kent

Last edited by akent; 08-08-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Glad you guys are enjoying it!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:00 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Agreed with all of the above praise! I've had my AP installed for about two weeks and other than an initial ping-pong idle which Chris and Jeff promptly remedied by sending me a couple maps It's the best thing I've added to my car so far! I love the idea that as my mods change so can the AP. There are endless routes you can take with this little device. I'm running the stage 1 92 oct. stock throttle and I love the control I have over the car in sport mode. Just don't forget that you have the sport button enganged or you might climb up and over the car in front of you at a stop light, lol!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
Agreed with all of the above praise! I've had my AP installed for about two weeks and other than an initial ping-pong idle which Chris and Jeff promptly remedied by sending me a couple maps It's the best thing I've added to my car so far! I love the idea that as my mods change so can the AP. There are endless routes you can take with this little device. I'm running the stage 1 92 oct. stock throttle and I love the control I have over the car in sport mode. Just don't forget that you have the sport button enganged or you might climb up and over the car in front of you at a stop light, lol!
Ditto

-Steven

Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 AM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akent
HAH!!!
I am a believer now!

I just flashed the Stage 1 92 octane linear throttle into my JCW Coupe!!!

This is how the car should have been from the beginning! Now I utter a gutteral laugh when I nail the throttle! Oh yea!

I hope I never have to reflash stock!

I am completely blown away!

Thanks Alta!
Kent
Totally agree, now the best feeling is actually going back to stock for a day..you ll feel like your car doesnt have punch, it is slow. Then flash it the next day and ...oh my, that first rev whn you start the car def how a Mini should have been made.
Getting my FMIC and DP very soon, going stage 3 haha SWEET

Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Skinnylittleman
1st Gear
I think I need to get some support, I'm having a few issues with the tune still. First issue: I still have the bouncing idle even with a new map sent months ago. I can live with that if I have to.

The other issues I have are two-fold: Hesitations a-plenty when accelerating through about 2k to 4k RPM. But the real kicker is that if I'm accelerating hard, sometimes between 4k and 5.5k RPM the engine makes a HORRIBLE fast paced ticking sound until I back off the throttle.

It's been doing it more and more through the past month or two, and I'm not sure what to do. I've tried uninstalling it and cannot replicate it with the stock tune.

Not sure if you've heard of this before. I'm in SLC, UT at 4,200ft. Don't know if it's an altitude issue, a fuel pump issue or some other weird item. Maybe a datalog would tell you more?

Anyone else have this or am I part of a lucky group of people. I hope not to be, but it would give me solace to know I'm not alone in this.

Running stage 1 91 octane map (manual) with no other mods to the car but a drop in filter.

Any help is appreciated. Would love to get rid of these issues, but even with them it still brings a smile on my face to drive the car with the tune installed.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM
NYTransplant
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Skinnylittleman
I think I need to get some support, I'm having a few issues with the tune still. First issue: I still have the bouncing idle even with a new map sent months ago. I can live with that if I have to.

The other issues I have are two-fold: Hesitations a-plenty when accelerating through about 2k to 4k RPM. But the real kicker is that if I'm accelerating hard, sometimes between 4k and 5.5k RPM the engine makes a HORRIBLE fast paced ticking sound until I back off the throttle.

It's been doing it more and more through the past month or two, and I'm not sure what to do. I've tried uninstalling it and cannot replicate it with the stock tune.

Not sure if you've heard of this before. I'm in SLC, UT at 4,200ft. Don't know if it's an altitude issue, a fuel pump issue or some other weird item. Maybe a datalog would tell you more?

Anyone else have this or am I part of a lucky group of people. I hope not to be, but it would give me solace to know I'm not alone in this.

Running stage 1 91 octane map (manual) with no other mods to the car but a drop in filter.

Any help is appreciated. Would love to get rid of these issues, but even with them it still brings a smile on my face to drive the car with the tune installed.

Thanks
Mine's been flawless since installing it. You might want to email Chris to see if he has some suggestions.

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:43 AM
adcam
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GTECKO
Totally agree, now the best feeling is actually going back to stock for a day..you ll feel like your car doesnt have punch, it is slow. Then flash it the next day and ...oh my, that first rev whn you start the car def how a Mini should have been made.
Getting my FMIC and DP very soon, going stage 3 haha SWEET
Wish I could find a trusted mechanic to do my FMIC.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:42 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Skinnylittleman,

Send me an email if you could. I'd for sure like to see a datalog of the hesitations. Are you getting any CELs? My email is maps@altaperformance.com

Old 08-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Skinnylittleman

Thanks
I also had the bouncing idle issue even after installing the updated maps. I have since taken the car to the dealer for some warranty repairs and they always reflash the car. I then had a battery failure and replaced it. When I reinstalled the AP after those two issues; it no longer surges. I have not used the "sport Mode" with the AP installed yet as that seems to create compressor surge on my particular vehicle. And I really get all the performance my tires can actually handle w/o Sport mode running the Stage 1+FMIC tune. So now I'm very pleased with the daily performance.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Skinnylittleman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Skinnylittleman,

Send me an email if you could. I'd for sure like to see a datalog of the hesitations. Are you getting any CELs? My email is maps@altaperformance.com

Thanks Chris, I'll send you an email. No CELs at all come up when it happens.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:08 AM
amgcoupe
2nd Gear
OMG this thread is HUGE!

Ok so let me get this straight from the searching I have done.

In order to run stage 2, I need:

FMIC
Catless DP
2.5" exhaust

What do I need for stage 3?

Also we only have 91 octane in this state.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread