Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:38 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

AccessPORT update November, 27th 2012

We wanted to take a moment to let the NAM community know that...

It is with a heavy heart that we must tell everyone that the AccessPORT is dead. We have been informed that the AccessPORT for the R56 will no longer be produced by COBB Tuning and as such the remaining inventory we have on our shelves will be the last available for purchase. If you are interested in one for your car, please order one right away! This is not an attempt to temporarily boost sales, and we do not expect current supply to last through the end of the year.

Many of you will ask "Why?" and thankfully the answer is pretty simple:

1) COBB Tuning (the manufacturer of the AccessPORT) has made a change to the AccessPORT hardware which will not support the MINI Programming and ECU.
2) Sales of the MINI AccessPORT have not met a level to justify COBB Tuning making a MINI AccessPORT with the new hardware.

I buy a unit now, what will the support be?

1) COBB / ALTA will continue the One Year Warranty from the date of original purchase.
2) COBB will support software compatibility through July 1st, 2013
3) ALTA will support mapping concerns through July 1st, 2013

We thank all of you for your business!
More cool products from ALTA Performance are on the way!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The ALTA AccessPORT allows you to unlock your vehicle's hidden power
Simply plug into your OBD diagnostics port, and in minutes you can change the ECU programing to give you an additional 20-40 Wheel Horsepower. No cutting, wiring, or other such modifications, simply plug-and-play.

ALTA Custom Tuned Staged Maps are included with every purchase that will give as much as 40 Wheel Horsepower and as much as 100 ft/lbs Wheel Torque gain, over stock levels. Also gives you the ability to easily change maps as you upgrade to new parts for your car. With the ALTA AccessPORT, the possibilities are endless!

The ALTA AccessPORT is so much more than an ECU flash device that makes Horsepower. With its gauge functionality, datalogging capabilities, and its ability to be an OBDII Scan-tool, the ALTA AccessPORT is a perfect "all in one" tuning tool that anyone can use. The ALTA AccessPORT is backed with tons of support and updated mapping as you upgrade and install new parts to your MINI!

At ALTA Performance we continue to provide past, current and future clients with the best possible customer service and performance products available today. Use this thread to provide us feedback on the ALTA AccessPORT and your experiences with ALTA Performance. Feel free to include information about our: Customer service, ALTA AccessPORT product performance and features, the quality of the tuning we provide and impressions from your driving experience and anything else you can think of about relating to the ALTA AccessPORT.

This thread may also be used to ask and discuss pre-purchase questions and topics. Your questions may include anything from "Will this effect my gas mileage?", "Can I flash more than one MINI?" and "Where is the OBD diagnostics port on my MINI?", "How much horsepower will my car make?".......

We welcome the opportunity to help! So bring those questions on!

To get things started here are a few popular Dyno Results:

Here is an example of an MINI Cooper S with ALTA Performance Stage 1 Tune

Here is an example of a 2009 MINI Cooper JCW with ALTA Performance Stage 1 Tune

What Is The True Value Of The ALTA AccessPORT?

The ALTA AccessPORT Pro Tuner Software Is Now Available

What does this mean to our current and future customer base? It means you will be able to take your car to one of these tuners, get a custom tune done on your ECU using the ALTA AccessPORT! This means those guys with weird intakes, custom turbo kits, and any other combination of parts not offered with our ALTA off the shelf mapping, can get a custom tune!

Who Are The Pro tuners?
As of right now, OXSpeed is the only pro tuner for the MINI Accessport.

Click HERE to be taken to their website!.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

MotoringFile Reviews The ALTA AccessPORT

MotoringFile is a MINI weblog dedicated to bringing you news, views, and every other little bit of interesting information from the new MINI world.

Quotes From The Review

"Without question, the ultimate second generation MINI performance item is finally here."

"One of the many great features of the (ALTA) AccessPort is its ability to adapt to your MINI upgrades"

"At $895, the “bang for the buck” of this product is nearly unmatched ... "

"Again, the difference was staggering."

"... I realized this tune was going to actually increase my gas mileage."

"As you’d expect I’d highly recommend this item to anyone who drives a turbocharged MINI."

Click HERE To Read The Complete Review.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Update: April 2012

The ALTA AccessPORT does NOT work with 2011+ Cooper S Models (Hardtop, Convertible, Clubman, Coupe, Roadster).

The ALTA AccessPORT does NOT work with 2012+ Countryman Models.

The ALTA AccessPORT does work with 2007-2010 Copper S Models (Hardtop, Convertible, Clubman)

The ALTA AccessPORT does work with 2009-2012 JCW Models (Hardtop, Convertible, Clubman, Coupe, Roadster)

Last edited by ALTAPerformance; 03-06-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:38 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
ALTA AccessPORT FAQ Post

Q. How much does the ALTA AccessPORT cost?
-Only $895.00

Q. Does this price include a map?
-Absolutely! $895 includes the AccessPORT tool and a specific "Staged" map designed for your specific needs.

Q. This price seems to be more expensive than other ECU reflash devices?
-The ALTA AccessPORT is much more than just an ECU reflash tool. Besides being able to reflash your ECU its able to do job of 6 other separate popular performance upgrades. It does the job of an ECU reflash device ($400), Scan tool ($100-200), Boost/oil temp/coolant Gauges ($150 each), "Throttle" Booster ($330), Datalogging device ($500-$1000+), Wide Band AFR Gauge ($200-$400) which can add up to $1700-$2800 or more! The ALTA AccessPORT is all those things combined into one device for $895.

Q. If i buy more parts do i have to buy another map?
-Not at all! Every ALTA AccessPORT customer is a customer for life! As you install more and more parts on your car we continue to provide you with maps that support those parts. (as long as its a part we support)

Q. If I buy another MINI cooper will my ALTA AccesPORT work on the new car?
-Yes, the ALTA AccessPORT can be installed on your new vehicle. As long at its another 07-10 MINI Cooper S, or JCW, you can unmarry your AccessPORT from your old MINI and marry it to your new MINI.

Q. Will the ALTA AccessPORT work on more than one MINI at a time?
-No, the ALTA AccessPORT can only be installed on one car at a time, but can be transfered to any 2007-10 MINI that you purchase later on. This process is simple and doesn't involve sending in your AccessPORT to us to reset.

Q. Will the dealer know this is installed and if so can I put it back to stock?
-Yes, they can tell your ecu has been modified only if they plug into the OBD port and try to read the ECU.
-Yes, you can restore the ECU to stock form. The process takes about 5 mins and you car will be returned to a state that the dealer last saw it.

Q. Do i need to leave the ALTA AccessPORT plugged in after it is installed?
-Not at all. You can unplug it and put it in your glovebox until the time comes to install a new map.

Q. Can you make the sport button make more power?
-Yes! There are limitless combinations we can do with the sport button.

Q. Isn't any tuned map going to produce the same results?
-Definitely not! There are many maps in the Mini ECU that control the way the engine runs. Most all the important maps needed to increase power and torque are not available to your normal tuners. We have about 10 times the amount of maps available to us which means we are able to tune your engine and your specific parts to a much higher and safer degree.

Q. What is Data logging and Why do i care?
-The only reason why we are able to tune the cars the way we are is do to this significant feature. When tuning an engine is very very important to be able to understand what is going on and why certain things happen. The ONLY way to understand this is with the ALTA AccessPORT's advanced data logging system. We are able to look at 10 times more data and as 20 times the parameters found on generic datalogging systems. This allows us to make accurate changes to maps, not just throw changes at maps hoping they do something good.

Q. I got my ALTA AccessPORT and it says it doesn't recognize my car?
-This may happen from time to time as new ECU updates come out. We try to stay on top of all the updates released from MINI but sometimes you may get one before we do! If this happens do not worry. Follow the ECU dump instructions and email us the file. It may take a day for us to add that to the AccessPORT library and get your AccessPORT working on your car. If this happens, this does not effect your car in anyway, as you can continue to drive it everyday.

Q. Will the ALTA AccessPORT work on the Euro models?
-No, not offered.

Last edited by ALTAPerformance; 08-22-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
What can the ALTA AccessPORT Maps do for me??
Besides the regular things like changing boost and timing to make more power, below are some things we change that other tuners can not. We feel this really gives us the advantage over other tuners and provides you with the best maps possible.

-We can raise the rev limit.
Others can do this but there is one thing that they don't fix, the "Over-Rev Recorder". Many Euro cars have this function that when the engine RPM exceeds XXXXRPM it will record all the data at that moment and save it deep in the ECU. All the turbo Mini's have an Over-Rev Recorder set just above stock redline. So if a tuner bumps up your redline, and doesn't change this, this could lead to a voided warranty. When we change the redline, we also bump the Over-Rev Recorder up to keep BMW happy.

-We can change the Sport Button to make more power.
This is something that people have wanted for years! A sport button should be sporty, not just heavier steering and a more annoying throttle! We can make the Sport button produce more or less power than the normal mode. We can also manipulate the throttle so its not at 100% throttle at 50% pedal. We can make the throttle much more linear which is great for cars with turbo back exhausts installed or other super responsive setups. Before we settle on what we want this to do exactly we are waiting to hear from you on how you may want your sport button to work.

-We make the Air Fuel Ratio richer.
We are able to change the target Air Fuel Ratios to a much safer level for high boost and high horsepower applications. In stock form the engine runs very lean under high load. Because these engines are Direct Injection engines it allows them to run like this, but this is very dangerous for extended periods of time. We richen up the Air Fuel Ratio to levels that are safer and will allow for more power! We mention this somewhat obvious feature as some tuners are not able to change the Air fuel ratio to much different than stock.

-EGT Limits raised
The Mini ECU uses a calculated EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) to determine when to change from a super lean 14.7 Air fuel ratio to its safety backup fueling map. Believe it or not, your engine always hits this EGT limit around 3000-4000 rpm under full throttle after a couple of full throttle runs. We raise this limit and change the entire Air Fuel Ratio curve to better suite a car with high horsepower and torque.

-We can raise the boost limit.
Important on JCW as it likes to run more than 21psi! All our JCW tunes have this bumped up to 24psi.

-Raising the Speed limit
While its not legal anywhere to go above 100MPH, we bump the stock Speed limit up to 190MPH to ensure you never hit the stock limit of 150MPH

-Torque limits.
The ECU uses Torque to control many things on the engine. There are many limits that hold back the ability to make power beyond just a few extra horsepower and we have the ability to allow full torque from your engine. Some tuners say they reduce traction limits by 15%, but this really is just bumping up the torque limit. This has no effect on traction control it only effects overall power and potential for more power. We bump this up to a point where there is no limit to how much torque is being applied!

-Variable Cam Timing(VANOS)
We are able to change the cam timing angles to provide even better turbo spool up. We have full control over the Intake Cam angle, which can provide roughly 200 RPM quicker spool and smoother power delivery across the RPM band.

-Ignition timing vs Air temp limits
The stock mapping is very very aggressive and when temp raise even slightly above normal, you are losing power. We map this map much more realistic which makes power much more consistent while still keeping the safety factors in place for extreme conditions hot or cold.

-Boost vs Air temp limits
The stock mapping is very aggressive in this regard also. There is a really narrow window of charge temperature where the ECU will provide the most boost and power. We open this window up to make the power more consistent from run to run and day to day.

-Launch Control
A very fun feature if you plan on doing drag racing. We can set this RPM limit (for when the car isn’t moving) and it makes for consistent launches everytime. This RPM limiter does not build boost and it not hard on your engine in anyway. The way it works is purely throttle based.

-ALTA Tunes Vs. MINI Engine
There has been a lot of talk recently about the tunes and the fragility of Mini's engines and I wanted to help explain how our tunes are made to help put customers at ease. It's true that some engines have broken using custom tunes, but there are also people that have had problems using stock tunes with no aftermarket parts. Our tunes make great power,and do push the car to have more boost. The boost/load levels we put in each map have been extensively ran on the dyno and street to ensure that they have safe AFRs and EGTs and boost. Keep in mind that when we quote that our maps reach a certain boost level, we are quoting the peak boost level. This means the highest you will see it run and in most cases this is just a split second.
All of the ALTA tunes, and dyno graphs we show, are "De-Tuned" from where we pushed them on the road and dyno. We did this to ensure the car will run safe, and to give room for custom tuners if the customer was looking for a more aggressive tune.

Last edited by ALTAPerformance; 06-22-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:50 PM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about multi car discounts?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Slartibartfast
2nd Gear
OK, your site says we get new maps if we install an Alta part. What about competitors upgrades?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by wrx_xb9r
What about multi car discounts?
In the future we might do that when starting from the MSRP but the introductory deal is the lowest price. I guarantee you will have "multi"ple happy MINI Coopers with the ALTA AccessPORT.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:24 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Is this for just the tool and no "tune?"

Old 08-18-2010, 04:29 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
OK, your site says we get new maps if we install an Alta part. What about competitors upgrades?
That all depends on the parts and their design. We would always encourage ALTA parts are purchased with the ALTA AccessPORT as we have done all the testing and proving with them. But if you already have some kind of 3" turbo back exhaust with 2 cats, and our intercooler on your 07 Cooper S, we for sure will get you a map!

Its hard to say that other brands of parts are going to produce the same results because we just don't know yet. For instance if you have an intercooler that is bigger but doesn't cool the air as good as ours, and you get our map specifically for an intercooler, it may not perform the same.

These are things we will have to decide when you give us a call to order your AccessPORT and map!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
How long before there is a DIY option? I read in the other thread that it is being held back due to the stock ECU being too complex. Is that too complex for somebody who has done a stand alone and built fuel and spark maps from nothing or too complex for somebody who who doesn't know the difference between a wide band and a narrow band 02 sensor?

EDITED IN:

If there is a reliance on somebody else to do the tuning how is this any different from the Dimsport tool?

Last edited by Some Guy; 08-18-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 PM
jeremyjcw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Is this for just the tool and no "tune?"
...from the Alta site.

ALTA Custom Tuned Staged Maps are included with every purchase that will give as much as 40hp over stock levels. This also gives you the ability to easily change maps as you upgrade to new parts for your car. With the ALTA AccessPORT, the possibilities are endless!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:37 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Jeremy,
I guess that I got so excited that my eyes skimmed right over that part!

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Slartibartfast
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
That all depends on the parts and their design. We would always encourage ALTA parts are purchased with the ALTA AccessPORT as we have done all the testing and proving with them. But if you already have some kind of 3" turbo back exhaust with 2 cats, and our intercooler on your 07 Cooper S, we for sure will get you a map!

Its hard to say that other brands of parts are going to produce the same results because we just don't know yet. For instance if you have an intercooler that is bigger but doesn't cool the air as good as ours, and you get our map specifically for an intercooler, it may not perform the same.

These are things we will have to decide when you give us a call to order your AccessPORT and map!
Thanks Jeff. A follow up question: If we purchase the AccessPort with the Alta turboback and/or intercooler might there be a discount?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by Some Guy
How long before there is a DIY option? I read in the other thread that it is being held back due to the stock ECU being too complex. Is that too complex for somebody who has done a stand alone and built fuel and spark maps from nothing or too complex for somebody who who doesn't know the difference between a wide band and a narrow band 02 sensor?

EDITED IN:

If there is a reliance on somebody else to do the tuning how is this any different from the Dimsport tool?
I have both the Dimsport MyGenius tool and ALTAs AccessPORT. The MyGenius is much larger in size and it only is an ECU flash tool. To load the ECU maps onto your MINI with the MyGenius tool you have to shut the MINI off and put your MINI into the ON "key" position several times. The AccessPORT is much smaller, it can read live data from the ECU, it can clear fault codes, it can log 10 hours worth of data logs and the actual process of flashing the ECU is much easier and quicker with only having to turn the MINI into the off position once.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Thanks Jeff. A follow up question: If we purchase the AccessPort with the Alta turboback and/or intercooler might there be a discount?
Thanks for asking!

Check out the website for some markdowns on:

Intakes

Front Mount Intercoolers

Exhausts

and MORE!

Thanks in advance for the business!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:49 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Call Us at 503-693-1702

Last edited by ALTAPerformance; 04-11-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by Some Guy

EDITED IN:

It is harder to tune than most ECU's and it is something a qualified tuner or experienced DIY tuner will be able to grasp. But still something we are going hold off for quite a while. First we will open up the doors for shops to allow custom maps to be made but even that is a ways off.

You are right there is reliance that we ALTA are providing good maps for all cars and parts. But this is different than the Dimsport tool in many many ways. Meaning we have a significantly better grasp on the maps and what they do ,and why they do things. So much so that in the end custom dyno tunes are not going to be as necessary for the crazy cars as they are now.

Over time will explain what we are doing with the maps and also how this is different than other tuners.

Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Jeremy,
I guess that I got so excited that my eyes skimmed right over that part!

Thanks!
We are so excited that we didn't mention that in a few key places!

The ALTA AccessPORT price is going to stay, but give us a ring, i think we can do something special for you!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:56 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA2

So essentially, if you don't like the design of a competitors parts...you will make the customer pay for a new map? But if you "approve" of the design, you won't charge them?

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong.....

Old 08-18-2010, 04:56 PM
SimpsonGI
I love the Pop and Burble effect of my ALTA tune! It is a real head turner. It is also very nice not having to deal with the CELs that I used to get due to my ALTA downpipe. Nicely done Jeff!

Old 08-18-2010, 05:22 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
So essentially, if you don't like the design of a competitors parts...you will make the customer pay for a new map? But if you "approve" of the design, you won't charge them?

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong.....
Yes you are reading it wrong compared to what i was thinking
I was thinking more if the map is going to work not if we are going to charge! At this point, we will NOT charge for new maps if the customer didn't buy an ALTA part to bring them to that next stage.

Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
I love the Pop and Burble effect of my ALTA tune! It is a real head turner. It is also very nice not having to deal with the CELs that I used to get due to my ALTA downpipe. Nicely done Jeff!
What pop and burble?? I have no idea what you are talking about.........

Old 08-18-2010, 05:34 PM
jkool44
1st Gear
For those of us with the Alta downpipe (I have the single cat JCW DP on my 2010 MCSm) dose the AccessPORT clear the CEL code that occurs permanently or just until the light come on again. Currently I clear mine every 150 miles or so with a $50 tool i purchased to read and clear codes).

Old 08-18-2010, 05:39 PM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by jkool44
For those of us with the Alta downpipe (I have the single cat JCW DP on my 2010 MCSm) dose the AccessPORT clear the CEL code that occurs permanently or just until the light come on again. Currently I clear mine every 150 miles or so with a $50 tool i purchased to read and clear codes).
It can make it so that it will not register. It won't show up when reading the codes and it will not set a CEL. I currently have 3 or 4 codes that Jeff has removed from my tune. I'd have to go look them up to tell you exactly which ones they are. As long as removing the code will not prevent a mechanic from troubleshooting a "real" problem I suspect Jeff won't have an issue removing it via the tune.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Clubmaste00
3rd Gear
10 to 40 WPH is a bit of a spread. How do we know what our gain is i.e. separate MAPS for each with so many wph per MAP or is it based on the current tune of the Mini. Use my 2009 Clubby S as an example. My only engine mod to date is the DOS CAI. What type of gain might I reasonably expect?

Dennis

Last edited by Clubmaste00; 08-18-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added another question
Old 08-18-2010, 05:45 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jkool44
Thanks for asking.

The ALTA AccessPort with ALTA Tuned Mapping, will not illuminate any CEL for your DownPipe PERIOD! Compensation is made within the mapping.

Now, if you get a CEL from something else (Gas Cap Loose, etc.) You CAN clear those codes with the ALTA AccessPort no problem!

Thanks for asking!

Old 08-18-2010, 05:51 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Clubmaste00
10 to 40 WPH is a bit of a spread. How do we know what our gain is i.e. separate MAPS for each with so many wph per MAP or is it based on the current tune of the Mini. Use my 2009 Clubby S as an example. My only engine mod to date is the DOS CAI. What type of gain might I reasonably expect?

Dennis
Thanks Dennis:

The dyno results most closely matching your sig mods is:

More results CLICK HERE

Thanks for asking!

Old 08-18-2010, 05:52 PM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
It can make it so that it will not register. It won't show up when reading the codes and it will not set a CEL. I currently have 3 or 4 codes that Jeff has removed from my tune. I'd have to go look them up to tell you exactly which ones they are. As long as removing the code will not prevent a mechanic from troubleshooting a "real" problem I suspect Jeff won't have an issue removing it via the tune.
I currently have codes P0420, P0141 and P0136 removed via my ALTA tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread