Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 PM
TheMINIPartStore
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been driving with the AP for 2k miles now. I love it. Really, it's just the absolute best bang for your buck out there. I will be writing a full review with videos this week. Would have been sooner, but have been busy busy busy. Kudos for bringing this tool to the world of MINI.

Would really love if you could do something in the way of the pop and burble. It's such an insignificant detail I feel silly asking, but- any ETA at all for this feature?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Jmrudy
Neutral
This "pop and burble" I keep reading about, is that the same effect that the new 2011 S's produce when downshifting at higher RPM's? I was given a 2011 S as a loaner when my Mini was in for everyones favorite issue, the pullys for the timing chain. When either downshifting, or letting up on the throttle at higher RPM's, the exhaust would have a nice "grumble" to it.

Is that what we are referring to here? If so, yes, it's minor, but when I heard it on the 2011, I wanted it in mine.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:21 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmrudy
This "pop and burble" I keep reading about, is that the same effect that the new 2011 S's produce when downshifting at higher RPM's? I was given a 2011 S as a loaner when my Mini was in for everyones favorite issue, the pullys for the timing chain. When either downshifting, or letting up on the throttle at higher RPM's, the exhaust would have a nice "grumble" to it.

Is that what we are referring to here? If so, yes, it's minor, but when I heard it on the 2011, I wanted it in mine.
Yup that's it!

Although it is present, it is very minor on the 11's. My car's tune had the burble and pop for a while and it was crazzzy, definitely could turn heads

Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My exhaust note, with sport mode on, makes people's eyes light up in the car every time.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Alta,
If I use an Akrapovic downpipe with full JCW exhaust , FORGE intercooler and JCW intake….can I run your stage II or III tune?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UnderatedMINI
Been driving with the AP for 2k miles now. I love it. Really, it's just the absolute best bang for your buck out there. I will be writing a full review with videos this week. Would have been sooner, but have been busy busy busy. Kudos for bringing this tool to the world of MINI.

Would really love if you could do something in the way of the pop and burble. It's such an insignificant detail I feel silly asking, but- any ETA at all for this feature?
Thanks for the review! This question is brought up pretty frequently, we are planning on working on it, but we are busy working on the on the 2011s right now. Still no ETA yet, sorry!

Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Alta,
If I use an Akrapovic downpipe with full JCW exhaust , FORGE intercooler and JCW intake….can I run your stage II or III tune?
The stage 2 and stage 3 maps are only made for a car that is running a full 3" turbo back exhaust. With your setup, you'd have to run a stage 1 FMIC map.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
uzun
4th Gear
Hey guys, I just got the AccessPort tool and tried to use it on my 07 MCS but I am getting a message saying that the AP tool does not support my car. I had RMW tunes on the car previously. I put the stock tune back on the car using the dimsport tool before trying to use the AP tool. The stock tune on my car is the JCW Stage 1 tune. Does the AP tool not recognize the JCW Stage 1 tune? Anyone had a similar problem?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Originally Posted by uzun
Hey guys, I just got the AccessPort tool and tried to use it on my 07 MCS but I am getting a message saying that the AP tool does not support my car. I had RMW tunes on the car previously. I put the stock tune back on the car using the dimsport tool before trying to use the AP tool. The stock tune on my car is the JCW Stage 1 tune. Does the AP tool not recognize the JCW Stage 1 tune? Anyone had a similar problem?
Have you plugged the AP into your computer and run the cobb AP manager or updater to make sure the correct version is on there etc.???

Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
uzun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Raymazing
Have you plugged the AP into your computer and run the cobb AP manager or updater to make sure the correct version is on there etc.???
Nope, I have not done that. I will give that a try next. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 AM
OttomanFD3S
1st Gear
Great to see it running strong and doing well for everyone

Old 02-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Jmrudy
Neutral
Will be getting my accessport today. I will also be receiving my Alta CAI, but won't be installing until the weekend. In the meantime, I will use the accessport in a fully stock 2009 MCS, then take things one step at a time and adjusting the mapping accordingly.

Curious to know the gains on a stock Mini. I'll report back in a day or two with "my two cents".

Old 02-23-2011, 07:06 AM
MINI*8R
2nd Gear
Waiting with bated breath for ALTA to tune the 2011's so I can get one. So much good press on these tuners that I just need one -- not want one -- NEED!!!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:53 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Definitely do the update using the AP Manager if you haven't already. We have just about every ECU covered now! Let us know how it works!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Definitely do the update using the AP Manager if you haven't already. We have just about every ECU covered now! Let us know how it works!
Still can't get maps on mine Chris. I am sure you recall our conversation. I bought a new computer running Windows 7 for Xmas....still can get the maps to load. Only the ones Jeff emailed me are on my AP. I have updated my AP as recently as a week or so ago....no dice.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
flossin, did you try doing the update after the AP was uninstalled from the car?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
flossin, did you try doing the update after the AP was uninstalled from the car?
Yes,
I never leave the AP hooked up. I just used it to upload the map, then disconnected. It's been sitting in my garage in the original box and and I took it inside the other day to update. It updated but I still get no maps.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mflossin, just out of curiosity, I purchased my AP last September.
I am wondering that when Chris asks if your AP was uninstalled to do the update, that he is asking, did you return your car to stock as if the AP was never installed.
The reason is is last week I uninstalled mine back to stock, did the update with the AP updater, reinstalled the AP and observed that I recieved a number of new maps. I reinstalled the old map I was using previously, as I have not upgraded to any new mods yet. The AP on reinstallation asked to verify vehicle ID H910B to continue installation.
Anyway just wondering, good luck.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I tried to let a friend test the AP on his dealer installed JCW car and it didn't recognize it either. That was about 3 months ago.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Jmrudy
Neutral
My .02

I'm sold! My hats off to the guys at Alta for this product. Where to begin..... Installation was incredibly easy. Total time including updating accessport on my computer and flashing the ECU was about 12 minutes.

The throttle is much improved. Sport like throttle when not in sport mode, and crazy responsive when in sport mode.

HP-Not a car rookie, and pretty good at guestimating increases, I would have to say 20-25 to be fair. Much of this HP would HAVE to be due to the increased boost, which is noticeable in every way possible, including sound. I can actually hear my recycler dumping for the first time! I imagine this will only improve with the addition of the Alta CAI this weekend.

Both the recycler and a bit of added grumble to the exhaust (related to the extra hp probably) are a nice touch, and make a stock Mini that always sounded a little timid, just a touch meaner.

Lastly, the biggest difference overall would have to be the pull you get at higher RPM's compared to stock. Again, the increased boost has a lot do with this I'm sure. Once the turbo is nice and spooled, depress the throttle even a centimeter, and the frame wants to leave the body behind.

I am very happy with this purchase, and it's nice knowing that as I build on the car, this product will ensure I'm getting the most out of all the $ I'm putting into it.

Looking forward to when I can flash the ECU to stage 2!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Jmrudy
Neutral
@ Mflossin

I know cars pretty well, I know computers better. Preparation and sequence are everything. See if this helps:

1. Launch AP manager on your computer
2. Connect AP to USB
3. Let AP manager detect automatically
4. Update
5. Make sure you are clicking the "Eject AP" button BEFORE you disconnect AP from USB
6. Put key in ignition
7. Plug AP into CPU
8. Push your minis start button (do not touch clutch or break at all)
9. Turn off all unnecessary electronics (lights, heater, etc)
10. Using the AP, RESTORE your original factory settings
11. When completed, remove key
12. Disconnect AP from ECU

----> At this point, your car will be stock, with all traces of prior tunes removed, and your AP will be updated. Now you can really start.

13. Repeat steps 6 through 9
14. Confirm vehicle on AP
15. Select map by pushing OK to view
16. Hit ok again
17. Let AP do it's thing
18. Remove key when done
19. Disconnect AP

That should do it. If it doesn't, you may need to use your old device to restore your ECU to factory stock settings, since the AP may not have a record of it (depending on how far you may have gotten in the past). If that's the case, replace steps 6 through 12 with whatever sequence your old device requires to restore your stock ECU settings.

Bottom line, AP will only recognize and be compatible with Mini Coopers stock ECU settings. Any remnants of prior tunes will cause an error.

Sorry if this got long winded, but I thought a thorough response might help.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, thats what I meant in post #1267 . Thanks for making it alot easier to understand Jmrudy. It's not long winded if it explains things. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Jmrudy
Neutral
My bad! Must have stopped reading posts at around 1,260! lol

Old 02-23-2011, 05:35 PM
uzun
4th Gear
I did the software update using the AP manager and the tool recognizes my car just fine now. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I think I've seen a number of factory JCW owners purportedly buying the AP, but I haven't seen their impressions.

Can someone that's using a Stage 1 map on a factory JCW tell me what you think, and whether or not you're experiencing any idle issues?

Thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 PM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
guys....thanks for the pointers. I was assuming 'physically' uninstalled as opposed to actually uploading the factory map and then re-loading the tune after running through the update process. I will report back with my results when I get a chance (probably this weekend).

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread