Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Massappeal
Just bought one for my GF's Mini as a birthday present! Can't wait to flash it in 2 weeks!
wow damn she must be an amazing gf!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Massappeal
Neutral
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
wow damn she must be an amazing gf!
That she is! but its kind of a gift to me as well since I drive it sometimes and would not mind the extra oomph.. Since her car feels so slow after getting out of mine
I know she is ready to start modding away to as she came from 2 modded turbo upgraded Subarus STI's (using the Accessports as well)
Maybe this will get her hyped to start adding bolt ons/suspension goodies..

Old 03-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
That she is! but its kind of a gift to me as well since I drive it sometimes and would not mind the extra oomph.. Since her car feels so slow after getting out of mine
I know she is ready to start modding away to as she came from 2 modded turbo upgraded Subarus STI's (using the Accessports as well)
Maybe this will get her hyped to start adding bolt ons/suspension goodies..
wait do you have a mini yourself?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Massappeal
Neutral
wait do you have a mini yourself?
Nope, I have no Mini just the GF's (although I would not mind one for a daily driver sometime in the future)
I just drive hers a lot because it puts less miles on my car , gets better MPG, and its just fun to drive as well! (reminds me of my old EG/goKart style driving, but with more TQ and class)

Old 03-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Nope, I have no Mini just the GF's (although I would not mind one for a daily driver sometime in the future)
I just drive hers a lot because it puts less miles on my car , gets better MPG, and its just fun to drive as well! (reminds me of my old EG/goKart style driving, but with more TQ and class)
Great response. It makes me smile everytime I hear somebody compare my var to a gokart

Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Slowride11
2nd Gear
Is there a map that is included that has been proven to increase MPG along with HP and Torque? if not is there map the detunes the car slightly as to increase MPG? I'm thinking i can switch from one map to another for weekdays and weekends.. Thanks.. btw i run 91 octane

Old 03-13-2011, 06:08 AM
blackbart
2nd Gear
Looking comments from experts regarding the need for an upgrade in the stock BOV when additional boost is generated with the AP.

Should we be concerned about the stress on the turbo components that might reduce the life?

In reading, it seems there are minor upgrades, like a stronger BOV spring swap, the BOV adaptor that vents some boost to atmosphere, all the way up to the full vacuum-actuated BOV set-up accompanied by the air whoosh!

If the real concern was to minimize the spikes in stress on the turbo, which of these options makes the most sense for a JCW?

Old 03-13-2011, 06:34 AM
AkFarina
Banned
A BOV that is contraolled by pressure will respond faster than one controled by the ECU

Old 03-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Massappeal
Neutral
I have not looked at the minis BOV, is it metal? If so you can probably crush it to hold more boost pressure. This is a common practice in the Evo world. (Did to my turbo upgraded Evo X running 28psi on 91oct)
If you do go aftermarket, you will want a Recirculating BoV.
The vent to atmos are no good on modern ecu controlled MAF cars.
The ECU cannot compensate for air released into the atmosphere causing idle, bogging, and backfires in between shifts.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 AM
AkFarina
Banned
No the stock one is rubber, and electrically controlled by the ecu. A VTA BOV will be ok because the air being recirculated is after the MAF so it wont even know that its happening. While the Stock diverter valve is open the intake manifold is basically closed anyway.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd be pretty surprised if the AP's boost increase was anywhere near that which would require a new BOV.

That said; this thread is already really long… and not about BOVs anyway.
Could you folks maybe start a new thread for this side discussion?

Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
I'd be pretty surprised if the AP's boost increase was anywhere near that which would require a new BOV.

That said; this thread is already really long… and not about BOVs anyway.
Could you folks maybe start a new thread for this side discussion?
Dont doubt the power of ap.. and not trying to go against what you said or anything but i feel like this side convo even though it is over would fit better in this thread since people come to this thread want info about AP and that is some pretty good info (if it it is true) about what you might need if your getting the AP

Old 03-14-2011, 02:22 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Dont doubt the power of ap.. and not trying to go against what you said or anything but i feel like this side convo even though it is over would fit better in this thread since people come to this thread want info about AP and that is some pretty good info (if it it is true) about what you might need if your getting the AP
Actually, if you want more eyeballs on your BOV side conversation, it would be better to take it to a new thread. Evidenced by those asking the same questions over and over again in here, nobody actually reads anything more than a page or two deep in such a long thread. Your BOV side conversation will be lost to the sands of time in about 4 days in here, and will only serve to contribute to the bloat of this thread.

Also, no, the BOV side-conversation doesn't have much of anything to do with the AP. blackbart's original message raising the question is about BOVs in relation to the AP… but the 3 replies that followed quickly devolved into their own conversation, not one of them even mentioning the AP at all.

So, other than an answer to blackbart's specific BOV/AP question… please take the BOV conversation to another thread. Don't just hijack this one because it's big and slightly related and you guys think the side-conversation will get more eyeballs in here. That clutter doesn't help anyone.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Ok very good point. I'm with you know this thread is only for people that want to ask alta direct question about AP.. and hey I'm not part of the side conversation like you stated but let's get back to the subject.... Sooo how bout that AP Device

Old 03-14-2011, 02:59 AM
AkFarina
Banned
I want one! but i don't want to spend 900 on it.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:01 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AkFarina
I want one! but i don't want to spend 900 on it.
Have you read threw this thread.. There is not one bad review about it.. It looks likes it's well worth the 900 and then some

Old 03-14-2011, 03:36 AM
AkFarina
Banned
Oh i have no doubts that its worth it. Its just hard to spend that much on A small hand held device (that probably costs about 250 to make). Its only hard because I want a few things, and 900 could get me about 3 of them.

EDIT: I just went to buy one, then the shipping to Alaska was 60 bones. I just cant do it, darn military needs to pay me more!

Last edited by AkFarina; 03-14-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Oh i have no doubts that its worth it. Its just hard to spend that much on A small hand held device (that probably costs about 250 to make). Its only hard because I want a few things, and 900 could get me about 3 of them.

EDIT: I just went to buy one, then the shipping to Alaska was 60 bones. I just cant do it, darn military needs to pay me more!
PM Sent!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
PM Sent!
Haha looks like someone is gonna see that it's well worth the 900

Old 03-14-2011, 12:44 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
AkFarina: "You've got mail!"

Thanks folks!

Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 PM
AkFarina
Banned
Alta are good people, got me an accessport!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like Alta said it much better than anyone else here could, but thanks for your service.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Alta are good people, got me an accessport!!!
LMFAO

Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 PM
callahan00
5th Gear
Alta,

Just a quick question. I have an AP on my 2008 R56 and love it. We just added a Countryman to the family [well ordered it actually]. After you crack the ECU for the 2011, will it also work for the Countryman? WE've got two strikes against us. It is a 2011 AND automatic. Thanks guys.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:57 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Callahan,

Once we get the AccessPORT working with the MCS 2011, it will work with the Countryman. But it will only work on one car at a time.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread