Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 PM
mellanor
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrettew
I'd be perfectly happy with 15% if it cures my L&L problem. But that is my first priority. Hoping somebody here could relate to it.
I have an AP custom tune on my 2009 MCCSa, but I'm afraid I won't be much help to you - I'm never out of sport mode, and I generally paddle shift... For what it's worth, I don't get much "L&L" in sport mode.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 PM
peter314
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mellanor
I have an AP custom tune on my 2009 MCCSa, but I'm afraid I won't be much help to you - I'm never out of sport mode, and I generally paddle shift... For what it's worth, I don't get much "L&L" in sport mode.
What exactly did you have done that qualify as a custom tune? I also have an Auto and have seen you post a few times about that.

Something in particular about the function of the car with the auto and AP unit?

Just more power?

Transmission modification? (I talked with my local shop and he suggested I upgrade my transmission cooler if I am going to go from 150 WHP to something close to 200-210WHP, I have the Alta IC and Single Cat Turbo Back Exhaust and Boost tubes standing by also)

Also "L&L"??

Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 PM
mellanor
2nd Gear
A custom tune is one done while the car is on a dyno. Basically the technician modifies the car's ECU taking into account the specifics of your cars performance (and what we have found out is that there is wide variation amongst MINI's, even within the same year class). Although the canned tunes sold by ALTA with the AP tool are quite good, a custom dyno tune will generally squeeze out every ounce of performance.

That's about it. It had nothing to do with having an automatic. Also, the guys at ABF don't foresee any problems with the stock transmission setup until you exceed around 260-270 HP. This is still a pretty fuzzy number - nobody really wants to push their transmission until it blows up and then say "ahah, that's the limit". However, the ABF team has been pushing a fleet of MINI's of all flavors really hard for quite some time, so I trust their opinion on this one. I'll be getting a new turbo catback exhaust and turbo upgrade from them soon, but despite this combo being capable of putting out 300+ whp, Dez told me he won't let me exceed the 270 whp mark with my auto.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:14 AM
bmwi6
2nd Gear
Because I already have the speed I desire with my AP, when I bought it Alta said it was coming out with the pop and burble soon which triggered me to buy it. So now I'm waiting to get it. Coming from a modded 335i and a z4m the Mini will never be the fastest car I have ever owned. But the pop and burble will give it that extra fun factor. Thats why

Originally Posted by Mini'mon
The same question goes through my head every time I see it on here.
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
Why are some people still more concerned about pop & burble than how fast this thing makes your car?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 AM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Same here with the Sport mode or manual...no L&L. That's why I think it MUST be curable via the AP tune. I'd just like to be sure. Anybody care to posulate exactly what the Sprot Mode button does that would cure L&L?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 AM
peter314
5th Gear
what is L&L? I must have missed that acronym somewhere?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 AM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Sorry guys...L&L is Lag and Lurch...I just made that up to describe an issue I have with the automatic. I Appreciate any insight you can offer. I'm 80% sure the AP can fix this, but for $895, I'd like to be 100% Heres my original post on it:

>Unlike most here, I have a completely stock 2010 Clubman S auto. Just >wondering if anyone has some experience with the AP in a similar setup. I'm >particularly interested in how it improves the tendency for the car to lag for >a second when re-accelerating from a rolling stop in non sport mode...what >I call Lag and Lurch. I realize the gains from the AP are relatively modest on >a stock setup, but if I can smooth out that L&L problem AND get a bit more >power...that'd be great

Old 01-11-2011, 08:08 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
My Clubman automatic has the throttle lag, I find that sport mode lessens it. The auto transmission doesn't lurch though.

Dave

Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
The same question goes through my head every time I see it on here.
x2

Originally Posted by peter314
Transmission modification? (I talked with my local shop and he suggested I upgrade my transmission cooler if I am going to go from 150 WHP to something close to 200-210WHP, I have the Alta IC and Single Cat Turbo Back Exhaust and Boost tubes standing by also)

Also "L&L"??
more like 170+whp to 200-220 whp.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SemiImbecille
How about implementing service indicator reset? For example reset when you change brakepads, I know you can do it thru onboard computer but would be a nice add-on to the Accessport
The AccessPORT only talks to the engine module, that would be controlled by the body module, sorry!

Unlike most here, I have a completely stock 2010 Clubman S auto. Just wondering if anyone has some experience with the AP in a similar setup. I'm particularly interested in how it improves the tendency for the car to lag for a second when re-accelerating from a rolling stop in non sport mode...what I call Lag and Lurch. I realize the gains from the AP are relatively modest on a stock setup, but if I can smooth out that L&L problem AND get a bit more power...that'd be great.
The tune should help smooth that out, since it will make boost come in sooner. I'll send you a PM.

Originally Posted by bmwi6
Any news on the pop and burble map? I don't know why it's taking so long. I'm not a tuner, but isn't adding continuous injection a relatively simple task?
We're still working on it, there's a lot of other things we have been working on recently, it should be ready within the next few months.

Originally Posted by peter314

Also "L&L"??
I wouldn't think the autos would have a problem with any of our tunes for street driving. If you are doing track driving and going on the track for over 30 minutes at a time with one of our stage 2 or stage 3 tunes, you may want to look into a transmission cooler.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
How would one go about getting a custom map done I emailed Jan at RMW and MAPS@altaperformance.com. Im just trying another means of starting this process currently the car is running the stage 3 with linear throtle. I know there is A LOT more in the car than the 240 or so its making. The car previously made 221 on a mustang dyno with an old garbage tune. The AP is SO much better than the previous

Old 01-11-2011, 03:18 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Raymazing,

If you emailed maps@altaperformance, that would go to me. Are you looking for a custom protune on a dyno, or are you looking for a new map to be sent through email? It looks like you need a map for your new turbo. You can run one of our stage 2 maps on your car, and do some data logs for us, and we can make a map that will be pretty good. For the best tune, you will want to go to a tuner and have them make a tune on the dyno.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Raymazing,

If you emailed maps@altaperformance, that would go to me. Are you looking for a custom protune on a dyno, or are you looking for a new map to be sent through email? It looks like you need a map for your new turbo. You can run one of our stage 2 maps on your car, and do some data logs for us, and we can make a map that will be pretty good. For the best tune, you will want to go to a tuner and have them make a tune on the dyno.
Stage 2? I do have custom charge pipes, FMIC and DDM ram air setup as well as everything in my sig. I thought for sure the stage 3 was more suiting to my mods. As far as datalogs id be happy to that...

Additionally you must know that only Alta and RMW have the pro tune software both of you guys are on the west coast

Old 01-11-2011, 05:15 PM
pocari
2nd Gear
Need Help!

deleted, solved.

Last edited by pocari; 01-14-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:37 PM
NeverEnuff
2nd Gear
I need a map for a '10 MCS auto trans please

I sold my MINI last week and a fellow member bought my turboback exhaust and AP. I would like to load a map on there for him to use. I emailed Jeff but I guess he is busy. Does anyone have a map to send me for his car? 2010 MCS auto trans., Alta CAI and 2.5" turboback exhaust.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Did you unmarry the AP from the old car? If so just load the AP manager on his or your computer and get the appropriate tune from Alta through the program. If you didn't unmarry the AP (uninstall tune from old car) then the AP is useless.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:41 AM
NeverEnuff
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Raymazing
Did you unmarry the AP from the old car? If so just load the AP manager on his or your computer and get the appropriate tune from Alta through the program. If you didn't unmarry the AP (uninstall tune from old car) then the AP is useless.
Yes I unmarried the AP. I'm very familiar with the AP. I had a 1st gen back in 2006 on my WRX and purchased this one the week of release. The maps I have loaded are for a manual trans and I need the maps for a '10 auto trans. Thats all. I've emailed two different people at Alta and haven't received a reply yet. I know they are bust and I'm not the only person requesting maps. I just updated the the new 2.0 version of the AP Manager and I'm not seeing any tunes for the auto trans cars. Am I just not seeing it?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:18 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
just do an update on your AP to get the maps. be sure to check download beta software. Use the AP manager to update.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Raymazing
Stage 2? I do have custom charge pipes, FMIC and DDM ram air setup as well as everything in my sig. I thought for sure the stage 3 was more suiting to my mods. As far as datalogs id be happy to that...

Additionally you must know that only Alta and RMW have the pro tune software both of you guys are on the west coast
I'm sorry, I must have read through your sig too quickly, do the stage 3 map. I'd like to have a datalog in 3rd gear starting at 2,000 RPMs going up to redline. We are on the west coast, but Jan travels around the US pretty frequently, you may be able to catch him wherever you are.

Originally Posted by pocari
Just picked up my access port today, tried to install it but it gave me an "unsupported vehicle" message. I have an AUTOMATIC 2010 MCS.

code that popped up... 0089SU0H910BLAD03

need help!

Are the units for both the manual & automatic the same? Would they have sent me the wrong one?

I had also updated the firmware from 1.6.0 to 1.6.3.2 with no luck..

Another thing is...I plugged it in and opened up AccessPORT Manager, but it doesnt seem like there are any maps on there? Anyone mind posting a screenshot of their manager? Would it only appear AFTER I have it installed in my car?
I believe I've been emailing you, but if I haven't, I'll need a copy of your ECU sent to maps@altaperformance.com. Also try running a beta update if you haven't yet. Once I get that ECU file, I'll have COBB work on making the AP compatible!

Originally Posted by NeverEnuff
I sold my MINI last week and a fellow member bought my turboback exhaust and AP. I would like to load a map on there for him to use. I emailed Jeff but I guess he is busy. Does anyone have a map to send me for his car? 2010 MCS auto trans., Alta CAI and 2.5" turboback exhaust.
If you run an update using the AP manager, it will download all of our current maps, no matter what car it is. He will then be able to plug the AP into his car, and the AP will pull up the correct maps.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:58 PM
jrettew
2nd Gear
What, if anything, do the MCSa stage I tunes do to shift points? On the untuned setup, pushing the Sport button makes them significantly higher rpm. Just wondering what tuned is like in Sport and normal mode, relative to untuned.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Jrettew, the shift points will be unchanged with the ALTA tune. The AccessPORT doesn't change those in the ECU. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Also to the Alta representative. I have 3 intermittent CELs one of which puts the car into limp mode. It does it with the stock cams as well ;-( p2884,p2885, are the limp mode codes and the others are for cylinder misfires. (<-cams cause those I believe)

Last edited by Raymazing; 01-15-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 AM
jrettew
2nd Gear
3 part question:
Is there value in having the dealer flash to the latest version before using the AP?
How do I tell if I have the latest version?
and finally...how do I ask for that? I mean, what is the technical way to express that request to the service department?
thanks

Old 01-18-2011, 09:07 AM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 part question:
Is there value in having the dealer flash to the latest version before using the AP?
and finally...how do I ask for that? I mean, what is the technical way to express that request to the service department?
thanks
I'll let the experts weigh in on this, but I would not flash the car unless absolutely necessary. Besides, the dealer won't usually do it unless they have a VERY good reason to - it's a multi-hour process, and they typically charge for it.

That said, there are some rumours in the BMW community that the new version of ISTA/P, 2.40.x, is somewhat unfriendly towards the AccessPort. I don't know whether that is a definite case or not - but since the Mini would have the same version (since the ECUs run the same ISTA/P software), *I* would avoid flashing if I didn't absolutely need it. Just be happy with what you have.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
3 part question:
thanks
Jrettew,

If you haven't ever had your car's software updated, it will be a good idea. We haven't had a problem with new software working with the AP at all. It's a tricky thing to do, usually you'll have to go to the dealer with a problem, then hopefully they will update your ECU. I'm not sure you can call the dealer and have them just update your ECU, since it takes a few hours.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread