Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Alta,

What's the fix for the "hunting" idle. I'm running the Stage 1 + FMIC and my car has started doing this also. It's quite noticeable in N at stop lights.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2012, 04:14 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Performance Angst,

First try uninstalling the AccessPORT and doing a beta update using the AccessPORT Manager. If that doesn't work, PM me the complete name of the map you're running including the full name of the ECU, for example, "stage 1 91 Auto H910B," and I'll email you a new map that should help. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Performance Angst,

First try uninstalling the AccessPORT and doing a beta update using the AccessPORT Manager. If that doesn't work, PM me the complete name of the map you're running including the full name of the ECU, for example, "stage 1 91 Auto H910B," and I'll email you a new map that should help. Thanks!
I'll try that to fix the surging issue.

I'm also having an issue with what seems to be "compressor surge". I've gone through all the suggested diagnostics and gone as far as paying someone to do a "smoke" test for intake leaks and have found none. Yet, I still get a blow off when the turbo is hitting max pressures above 20 psi at 3000 rpm. I think my car would benefit from having the max boost pressure occur a little later in the rpm cycle; say around 3500-4000 when the car can actually use that much air. Would you be able to modify the MAP for this? I also found OEM MAP runs under a lot leaner condition than with the AP.

Thanks for helping work out my tune problem.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I also purchased the ALTA BOV spring to see it that was the problem. It also did nothing to correct the issue.

Last edited by Performance Angst; 01-12-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: additional diagnosis info added
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Performance Angst
Yet, I still get a blow off when the turbo is hitting max pressures above 20 psi at 3000 rpm. I think my car would benefit from having the max boost pressure occur a little later in the rpm cycle; say around 3500-4000 when the car can actually use that much air. Would you be able to modify the MAP for this? I also found OEM MAP runs under a lot leaner condition than with the AP.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I also purchased the ALTA BOV spring to see it that was the problem. It also did nothing to correct the issue.
If your car is dumping boost above 20psi when going WOT, what you are seeing the boost cut that occurs around 22 psi. I believe Alta can adjust it a bit for you to prevent it

Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
I'll try that to fix the surging issue.

I'm also having an issue with what seems to be "compressor surge". I've gone through all the suggested diagnostics and gone as far as paying someone to do a "smoke" test for intake leaks and have found none. Yet, I still get a blow off when the turbo is hitting max pressures above 20 psi at 3000 rpm. I think my car would benefit from having the max boost pressure occur a little later in the rpm cycle; say around 3500-4000 when the car can actually use that much air. Would you be able to modify the MAP for this? I also found OEM MAP runs under a lot leaner condition than with the AP.

Performance,
First what car, what modifications do you have and what map are you running? Also are you getting the compressor surge when you are on or off the throttle? If the car feels like it's cutting power at peak boost, you may be overboosting. If you could get this recorded on a datalog, that would help diagnose the issue. Send a log to maps@altaperformance.com

Old 01-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Performance,
First what car, what modifications do you have and what map are you running? Also are you getting the compressor surge when you are on or off the throttle? If the car feels like it's cutting power at peak boost, you may be overboosting. If you could get this recorded on a datalog, that would help diagnose the issue. Send a log to maps@altaperformance.com
Car is JCW Clubman 2009.
Mods Alta CAI, Alta turbo inlet pipe. Alta FMIC, Alta hot side boost tube, and Alta BOV spring upgrade. Also have the BSH boost tap with PCV blocked off. Problem occurs at WOT when boost pressures hit ~20 psi which is ~3000 rpm. I'm running the Stage 1 + FMIC tune 92 octane

I have datalogged the issue and sent you files a couple months ago which, at the time, you said you could see the peak boost fluctuations. You suggested checking the intake for leaks etc. Which I did by paying someone to smoke test the car. They found no leaks and no loose clamps etc. that might be causing my problem. I'm not sure what else I can do from my end. It seems the tune needs to be tweaked a little for my specific car to eliminate what seems to be "compressor surge". Thanks

Old 01-13-2012, 01:59 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
What's your name or email address so I can look up our prior conversation?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
What's your name or email address so I can look up our prior conversation?
PM sent

Old 01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
I upgraded to the beta version to fix the hunting idle issue and now the AP will not data log. What's the fix for this?

Nevermind, Got it working!!!

Last edited by Performance Angst; 02-01-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 01-31-2012, 04:47 PM
ORazor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all,

I've heard some pretty great things about the AccessPort, but one thing I have been a little surprised about is the lack of information on 0-60 times (as I understand it, there's some mechanism for measuring this on the device).

So I'll put it out there to the community:

For an otherwise stock 2nd Gen MCS, what are people running 0-60?

For those who are modified, what are your results?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Check Out The New ALTA Performance Web Site. Click The Picture To Look Around.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Free BOV Spring Upgrade With Every AccessPORT Purchased Through The Month Of March.
Click the image below to check this out on the ALTA Performance web site.

What is a BOV Spring Upgrade?
The ALTA BOV Spring Upgrade for your stock Blow Off Valve is a very effective way to make your Turbocharged Mini hold more boost between shifts, reducing turbo lag and boosting performance. The stiffer spring still allows for normal functioning of the BOV during light throttle lifts, but keeps more pressure in the boost tubes making it feel much faster shifting.

Last edited by ALTAPerformance; 03-19-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:28 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Nice redesign Alta for sure. Two things though:

1. No mention of the AccessPort not working on certain models anymore on its product page. :cough: 2011 MCS :cough:

2. Stop teasing us 2011 owners with all your AP incentives. Jerks

Seriously though, nice work

Old 02-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Cotnballs2000
2nd Gear
What is the resolution are you suppose to view the web page with? I tired IE and Firefox and the edge of the photos on the main page etc don't center etc.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:45 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cgaubuchon
1. No mention of the AccessPort not working on certain models anymore on its product page. :cough: 2011 MCS :cough:
if you click the 2011+ MCS tab, the AP doesn't show up....stinkin' bums, haha!

Old 02-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Just an idea guys. have you thought of putting out new stage II and stage III maps since you don't make the 3" turbo back exhausts anymore and the 3" catback doesn't bolt on? Just thought it'd be a good idea for people running other setups, like a 2.5" with high flow cat (Akra)

Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
CLubman Exhaust

Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
Check Out The New ALTA Performance Web Site. Click The Picture To Look Around.
Got a question about the Alta Cat back exhaust for the Clubman. The video on your site below this product shows a "Turbo back" setup that includes the DP but, none of the pics for the product show the DP. Is the upgraded DP also included? If not, why? As this part (DP), I believe, is required to run a Stage 2 or 3 AP Tune. Also, it has been stated on this thread numerous times that the exhaust system MUST be a complete 3" system and this one splits down to 2.25". Thanks

http://www.altaperformance.com/clubm...t-back-exhaust

Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
Just an idea guys. have you thought of putting out new stage II and stage III maps since you don't make the 3" turbo back exhausts anymore and the 3" catback doesn't bolt on? Just thought it'd be a good idea for people running other setups, like a 2.5" with high flow cat (Akra)
Remember our stage 2 and stage 3 maps also work with 2.5" catless systems too.

For 2.5" systems with high flow cats, running a stage 1 map will still make a good amount of power over a normal stage 1 car. We may remake the maps in the future, it we did, we would remake them for a 2.5" system.

Got a question about the Alta Cat back exhaust for the Clubman. The video on your site below this product shows a "Turbo back" setup that includes the DP but, none of the pics for the product show the DP. Is the upgraded DP also included? If not, why? As this part (DP), I believe, is required to run a Stage 2 or 3 AP Tune. Also, it has been stated on this thread numerous times that the exhaust system MUST be a complete 3" system and this one splits down to 2.25". Thanks

http://www.altaperformance.com/clubm...t-back-exhaust
A downpipe is not included with the Clubman exhaust. We stopped production of the Mini downpipe about a year ago.

If you did have one of our turbo back systems, you would be able to run a stage 2 tune, the 2.25" split is on two sides, so there is a total of 4.5" of pipe after the split, giving plenty of flow.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM
djdraddy
Banned
Hey Alta Guys,

I think you should focus developing a couple Stage II type maps that work well with the stock cat/downpipe and the Autotrans. What you show now is a little thin.

I have a R55 MCCSa with a Milltek 2.5 exhaust, a Helix FMIC and a NM CAI and boost pipes. Based on your mapping categories, I am limited to your Stage I map because of the downpipe! I don't want to run catless downpipe (For both legal and enviromental reasons) and I don't see a significant benefit from an aftermarket Catted Pipe. You should have a much better map set for a set-up like mine.

You need to broading your mapping applications. I 'm not interested in gaining just 15 HP and having all kinds of drivability problems. You address those issues and then, and only then, would I consider laying out serious money for one of your units.

BTW, these issues have come up before regarding the AutoTrans Application, etc. and you always say that you can "customize" maps for specific situations... I don't want to spend months "developing" a decent map with you guys. I want the development done and a good usable map available day one. Really shouldn't be too much to ask!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
DJ,

Thanks for your post. It brings up some good points.

First, the stage 2 map is really for a car with a turbo back. Stage 2 maps are not for a stock cat/downpipe. I think what you're looking for is a more aggressive stage 1 map. When we developed the maps on the dyno, we made them to make good power that we felt will be safe on cars all over. If you're looking to make more power than our maps provide, you should look into getting a protune. Right now there are just a handful of shops that do this, but if you bug your local shops enough, I'm sure if enough people bug shops, they will realize that Mini owners are interested in custom tunes, which will help everyone! In the Subaru and Mitsubishi tuning world, I would say about 25% of AccessPORT owners get protunes on the dyno. In the Mini world, it's much less.

Our stage 1 FMIC map will work great for the modifications that you have, and run a good amount of power more than what the car would with the stock downpipe.

If you think about it, the AccessPORT comes with a great selection of maps. It comes with stage 1, stage 1 FMIC, stage 2, and stage 3 maps for 91 and 92+ octane. For the manual transmission cars, we also have a linear throttle and normal throttle feel map. No other tuning option for the Mini comes with this amount of maps to choose from.

It's actually rare for a customer to have an issue with drivability, if there is any problem, we will get them taken care of quickly. If there's a problem with the car, there's only so much we can do, tuning issues can be solved quickly though. It won't take months.

The AccessPORT is ready to go straight out of the box to give you a lot of good power!

Old 02-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Yeah I definitely get your point about protunes. I just thought it'd be helpful to have a tune that really goes well with a high flow 2.5" Akra/Miltek downpipe to a 2.5" exhaust from there out. That seems to be the trend in DP's and i'm sure it'd lead to some gains. Just IMHO

Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I have an 08 MCS auto (stock, running stage 1), and can confirm that there were initially drivability issues, but these were taken care of within hours by Alta. I was emailed updated maps (3 to choose), and have been running one that I am happy with. Is it perfect.... no. There is still a bit of surging at idle (100-150 rpm), but the throttle response is much better than stock and the car runs very well.
I was told that they were going to release updated maps, and they asked for my feedback. I look forward to an update, but have no problem being satisfied with the map I am running. This is probably the best $800 that I spent on the car.

Mike

Old 02-07-2012, 11:32 AM
eJCW12
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I realize I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but I really really don't want to scan through 94 pages of posts!

I have a 2012 R56 Factory JCW, on the new site it makes mention that 2009+ fJCW cars are compatible with the tunes you have right now. But, given the issues with the 2011+ S, I figured I'd ask.

I was planning on starting to mod shortly after my break-in is over in about 500 miles, but will I have to wait for a new tune, or is my car compatible with what you have now?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:33 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
EJCW12,

We actually haven't had a chance to try the AccessPORT on the 2012 JCW yet, we're thinking it will work fine, just like the 2011 JCW. You can try it out, and if it doesn't work, we can take it back.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
TIme for the monthly "where is the 2011 S tune?!" whining...

*whine*

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread