Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
why are their torque gains so low? is it because the n18 is initially tuned better?

only 8 ft/lbs doesn't seem like a huge gain
To be fair it's hard to say with out knowing how aggressive the tune is, but the car should be capable of a greater gain then that even with stock parts.

TBH the power out put it self or the tuners ability here isn't the major draw back to this service. Both those have potential so it is a viable tuning option. The fact though the ECU has to come out every time it's flashed is a huge problem for both down time of the car and cost levied on the customer.

In the long run waiting for an OBD flashable device is better, even if it's not an AP.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:07 AM
m3sparky
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i see, i understand alta cobb is a better way to tune and i wish it was available, the only tough part is not knowing how much longer it would take for alta to come out.

for the tune ive mentioned they are saying you can get 60 plus torque if the intercooler was upgraded.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:14 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Access Port on 2012 R55 JCW

A local shop, Mach V, had a dyno day yesterday and I was able to get my car in to see just what it's doing. Many thanks to Dan for taking the time to load/unload tunes and to do some data logging for me at the same time.

Before going on the dyno, I installed a Forge IC and a DoS intake so it's not actually "stock" but, with the stock tune, the numbers were 202.86HP/220.51TQ.

With the Stage 1 (FMIC) tune, three pulls came up with 227.11HP/266.55TQ.

Not too shabby I'd say.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I have had my AP for about 3 months now on my 08 MCSa. Yesterday I uninstalled it to have the recall work done at the dealer. Wow, what a change without it. The response/delay from the throttle pedal and the mid range torque are apparent.

I was talking to the Service Manager about the potential for the torque steer electronic update, and I drove a new roadster S. No torque steer, really impressed. Then on my way home (no AP) I realized that most of the torque steer was because of the AP generating more torque!

It was a much more pleasant drive in this morning with the AP reinstalled.

If any of you guys are on the fence whether this is worth $800, spend your tax return on the AP. I am not trying to be a cheerleader, just really happy with this upgrade.

Mike

Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
mcmmotorsports
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
I was talking to the Service Manager about the potential for the torque steer electronic update, and I drove a new roadster S. No torque steer, really impressed.
..and what did the SM say?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:00 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Alta, please forgive the side bar (but the AP helped generate the torque steer!). He indicated that in 2010 there was a software update that was supposed to improve the programming of the steering to compensate for the torque steer. He is checking to see if this is able to be retrofit to older cars, the regional tech is checking also. He said if it was, it would be an hour of labor ($103) to do the upgrade.
He stated that nobody said it wouldn't help, but he is trying to get someone to state that it will help. When I hear back I will make a separate post. IMO, $100 is worth it if it helps. I will let you guys know.

Mike

Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM
mcmmotorsports
3rd Gear
Thanks, now back on topic.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mbwicz
Alta, please forgive the side bar (but the AP helped generate the torque steer!). He indicated that in 2010 there was a software update that was supposed to improve the programming of the steering to compensate for the torque steer. He is checking to see if this is able to be retrofit to older cars, the regional tech is checking also. He said if it was, it would be an hour of labor ($103) to do the upgrade.
He stated that nobody said it wouldn't help, but he is trying to get someone to state that it will help. When I hear back I will make a separate post. IMO, $100 is worth it if it helps. I will let you guys know.

Mike
I had it done as soon as it came out. Major difference for me. I didn't have to pay though :D

Back to the AP

Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Mayfair_50
Neutral
Alta
I have a 2010 mcs manual and considering punching the AP.i am new to all of this so please bear with me. i just have two questions

1. What is the difference from a stage 1 tune vs stock mcs with sport button engaged and what does the sport button do/how does the car react after the ap stage 1 tune is installed and spot button is engaged ?

2.Is their any benefit to getting the JCW tuning kit then putting the ap on top of it or will this just overwrite the jcw engine tune? I'm not sure if the jcw engine kit comes with any upgrades other then a flashed ecu.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:21 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Hello Mayfair,

1. The ALTA stage 1 and stock tune will both quicken up the steering and throttle sensitivity when you press the sport button.

2. There wouldn't be any benefit of adding the JCW tuning kit other than the slightly better intake and slightly louder exhaust. The tune will be completely overwritten with the AccessPORT, so it would be a better deal to save that money for other other upgrades!

Old 03-06-2012, 04:34 PM
greenr56
1st Gear
alta, i just ordered my accessport from you guys and i'm just wondering if i would have to have a map made for my car because when i bought the car it already had an alta intercooler, plumbing, cai, cat back exhaust. just wondering if the maps are generic or different for each mod that is done to the car. thanks in advance -Dana

Old 03-06-2012, 04:47 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Hi Green, thanks for your order! The AccessPORT has a map that is perfect for those mods, the stage 1 FMIC map. This will be preloaded on the AccessPORT. I will give you a call tomorrow on more info about the maps we have on the AP, thanks!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 AM
persianrider
Neutral
Hi all, this is my first post but have been browsing alot on the forums.

Getting warmer here up north so my JCW 18s will be back on my MCS 2011

do you have an ETA for the AP on 2011 models?

Also if I may suggest, since its taking "longer" to have this released. Is it possible to have some kind of "package" made for us when it does become available.

I've been holding off buying the catback + CAI until the AP is available.

Would be a nice "thank you" for waiting to give us a package with the AP+CAI+Catback+BOV Spring

just sayin you know

Old 03-07-2012, 02:15 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Persianrider,

Sorry, we still don't have an ETA for the AP for the 2011 cars. We actually do have some packages available here for the AccessPORT.

If you are interested in building your own package, give us a call! We can put together any type of package for you to get you a good deal.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:01 PM
greenr56
1st Gear
got mine today, night and day difference, cant wait for the alta "test pipe/downpipe" hope it might be being developed soon! thanks again, -Greenr56

Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Alta: I am getting "DME Superknock" codes thrown on a 91oct stg1 map, as well as misfires. Any thoughts on what this could be? I am uninstalling the tune now to see if I can repeat the codes without it. Interestingly, they don't show up on the AP - only when scanned with INPA / Bavtech tool.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
ColinMc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jbourne
Alta: I am getting "DME Superknock" codes thrown on a 91oct stg1 map, as well as misfires. Any thoughts on what this could be? I am uninstalling the tune now to see if I can repeat the codes without it. Interestingly, they don't show up on the AP - only when scanned with INPA / Bavtech tool.

Are you flashed to the Beta update? I had to flash to the beta update for help with figuring out boost cut issues and ever since I did that my Accessport does not see ANY CEL codes. I have to use a friends code scanner to see them, or flash the accessport back to the non beta version. Even when the code is clearly showing up on the dash...caused some headaches for me until I realized what was happening.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:30 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ColinMc
Are you flashed to the Beta update? I had to flash to the beta update for help with figuring out boost cut issues and ever since I did that my Accessport does not see ANY CEL codes. I have to use a friends code scanner to see them, or flash the accessport back to the non beta version. Even when the code is clearly showing up on the dash...caused some headaches for me until I realized what was happening.
Actually haven't updated the AP in a while as it's been working fine. Not concerned about the codes not showing up on the AP, though (since I have INPA/Bavtech access) - more concerned about the codes being, well, in the ECU

Old 03-09-2012, 02:31 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jbourne

That is strange that it didn't pull up using the AccessPORT. It would be nice to try running the stock tune and see if it gets the codes still.

Then try running our tune again, and see if it still gets the codes. If it does, we would like to get some datalogs of you driving the car to see if you could recreate them in a log, and we can make a new map if we need to.

Also it looks like there is a problem with reading CELs with the AcessPORT running beta, if you are having the issue, run the normal update and reload the map on the car to read CELs. Thanks!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:38 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
What channels would you like me to log?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:02 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
The default settings would be perfect.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:11 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
The default settings would be perfect.
Haha, considering I've had an AP since before public availability, "default" no longer has much meaning no worried tho I'll sort something out. first have to re-scan the car see if the default tune threw anything... will let you know, thanks!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:53 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
No problem, if you've changed the settings for recording datalogs, there is an option to change them back to default.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:19 PM
an2
2nd Gear
What's the charge on getting a custom tune? Or even getting a simple adjustment for those of us who want our Pop and Burble fix?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
An2, A custom dyno tune is going to run around $500 or so depending on the shop. Or are you looking for an email tune from us?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread