Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm down to ride to MA for a tune but I have a few issues with that. If he tunes my 2011 MCS won't the dealer see the tune when I go for repairs or maintenance? And also if they do any updates or work on the car won't they flash the ecu and erase the tune all together?
Ima just painfully wait for the Accessport:-(

Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If that modified ECU is discovered your warranty will be trash.

My Accessport is gathering dust

Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Hyland33
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by automan21
I'm down to ride to MA for a tune but I have a few issues with that. If he tunes my 2011 MCS won't the dealer see the tune when I go for repairs or maintenance? And also if they do any updates or work on the car won't they flash the ecu and erase the tune all together?
Ima just painfully wait for the Accessport:-(
I'm not sure about them erasing the tune. I told him I was probably going to wait for the AP and he said I'd be waiting a while lol

Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 AM
jaycoop2586
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
OK, try doing that update, and datalog the hesitations tomorrow morning if you can. We'd for sure like to see that in a datalog. If you have any questions on how to do that, give me a call, thanks!
Chris, over the weekend I updated the Accessport with the lastest software. It now reads fault codes!! However the fault codes it showed me were disheartening. "random enginer missfire". "cyl. 1 missfire". "cyc 3 error". "front O2 error". "rear o2 error". i have the "P" numbers written down but i left the list at home of course. I then uninstalled, reinstalled, and loaded the same stage 3 92 octane TSP map "again". Did a few Data logs but there were a million opptions to choose from in the Data log list. What type of Data log are you looking for? There was a Data log option for "MAP". i logged 2 drives at 5 mins a piece with the "MAP" log but i dontknow if thats the Data log you guys would want to see? Let me know which Data log to run. Ill do one on the way home tonight and another first thing in the morning then email them to you. Just let me know which data log option to select from the list.
Thanks.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 AM
igotboost
1st Gear
what's the place called in MA??

Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by magoolll
ALTA_Chris,

Would you explain the consequences of running a STAGE 2 map when the modifications suggest a STAGE 1. 2008 MCS with NM Catback Exhaust and NM CAI.

Thank you
Running a stage 2 map on a car that has stage 1 modifications is going to make the car try to push out more boost than it can actually push out. A stage 2 map is made for a car that has a 3" turbo back with high flow cats, or a 2.5" catless turbo back system. The stock cats are restrictive, and won't flow enough to make the ECU happy, which could give you CELs, and work the turbo harder than it needs to.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the same tain of thoughts, I run the stage1 map with 92+ octane. I always put 94 octane gas. But if I run one tank at 91 (can't always fin 92+ when traveling), can I keep the map? Odo I need to switch everytime I can't fill up with 92+ octane?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Myromini, You should change back to a 91 octane map if you have to run 91.

The 92+ map is only for 92+ octane, other wise you will get a lot of knock.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
magoolll
1st Gear
Running a stage 2 map on a car that has stage 1 modifications is going to make the car try to push out more boost than it can actually push out. A stage 2 map is made for a car that has a 3" turbo back with high flow cats, or a 2.5" catless turbo back system. The stock cats are restrictive, and won't flow enough to make the ECU happy, which could give you CELs, and work the turbo harder than it needs to.
Chris,

Thanks for the information.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Hyland33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by igotboost
what's the place called in MA??
BrenTuning

Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alta Stage 3 Clubman S on Nurburgring VLN Circuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE0P6...Hy6dS9VadFvdM=

Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Dust
1st Gear
How can an Aquamist HFS-4 been used with an AP? I know that the HFS failsafe takes the turbo to wastegate pressure. Is there any kind of map switching or similar that Alta has found?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 AM
jaycoop2586
3rd Gear
I still think try reflashing it with the beta update may make a difference. Try that first, if you have any questions, you can give us a call. It is normal for the car to feel sluggish when the car is first started in the morning, but it shouldn't be super noticeable unless you are really getting on it hard when the car is still cold.
Chris, I just sent an e-mail to maps@altaperformance.com with my car model, modifications, fault codes, and 6 data logs. Any hesitation issues showing in the data logs should be seen early on in the logs.

Let me know what you guys conclude!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Dust
How can an Aquamist HFS-4 been used with an AP? I know that the HFS failsafe takes the turbo to wastegate pressure. Is there any kind of map switching or similar that Alta has found?
Failsafes wire directly into the boost controller, they aren't built into the tune. An Aquamist failsafe should work on the Mini boost controller, but it might give you CELs, we haven't tried one yet.

Originally Posted by jaycoop2586
Chris, I just sent an e-mail to maps@altaperformance.com with my car model, modifications, fault codes, and 6 data logs. Any hesitation issues showing in the data logs should be seen early on in the logs.

Let me know what you guys conclude!
We will get back to you soon, thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:06 PM
mcmmotorsports
3rd Gear
Whenever I start my car, the first thing I do is hit the "Sport" button because the throttle response is so much better than with "Sport" mode off. With a stage 1 tune, does that negate the need for me to use the "Sport" mode? I know it also effects steering response too, but it is the oomph I get that I am more concerned with. Now, if I could only convince myself to do a 2.5 catless exhaust, FMIC and CAI on my JCW, I may just feel I have died and gone to heaven.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
The sport button actually doesn't give you any more power, it makes the car feel faster at part throttle because it quickens the throttle sensitivity. With the ALTA map, you will actually have a lot more power, so you may not have to hit the sport button anymore. That will be dependent on your preference, since the sport button does work with our tune still.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:01 PM
sspreso11
2nd Gear
The sport button actually doesn't give you any more power, it makes the car feel faster at part throttle because it quickens the throttle sensitivity. With the ALTA map, you will actually have a lot more power, so you may not have to hit the sport button anymore. That will be dependent on your preference, since the sport button does work with our tune still.
So is this a preference we can set via the accessport or will we need to have a tune tweaked by you to suit our sport button preference?

Old 04-18-2012, 03:38 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
We can make the sport button throttle sensitivity be the default setting if you like. If any of you guys have questions about that, send me a PM or an email.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Jamesta2
1st Gear
I have stage 1 with the linear throttle response (tps) and I never use the sport button. I used to use it all the time and liked the quicker response, but didn't like the twitchyness. The AP response is just as quick IMO, but theres more power and delivery is smooooth.

I do miss the steering response with sport, but it's not a biggie.

Just go ahead and get. I'm going on 6 months now and have zero regrets!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Grimnebulin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jamesta2
I have stage 1 with the linear throttle response (tps) and I never use the sport button. I used to use it all the time and liked the quicker response, but didn't like the twitchyness. The AP response is just as quick IMO, but theres more power and delivery is smooooth.

I do miss the steering response with sport, but it's not a biggie.

Just go ahead and get. I'm going on 6 months now and have zero regrets!
^ This. Same feelings here. I like and miss the tighter steering with the Sport button but the extra power with the AP is well worth the lack of the tighter steering response.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been waiting for the 2011+ AP Tunes patiently, but at this point in my life can the AP be Willed to someone with the same Warranty as the original buyer??

Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Carpeviam
2nd Gear
Hi Chris,

How close is the throttle sensitivity of TPS map with Sport button ON vs the stock throttle feel map with Sport button ON?

I always have Sport button ON since I like the tightened steering. I sometimes miss the increased surge of the stock with Sport button ON feel, but with the Alta non-TPS map, its too sensitive, esp in stop/go traffic.

Any plans for a map where the throttle sensitivity is somewhere in between to try to get best of both worlds?

And I swear I still hear pop&burble with or without the Sport button engaged when running the Stage1 TPS map. Is it built into your maps or am I going crazy? I love it but was wondering cause I thought that pop& burble were part of the stock programming and not a changed part of the Alta maps, so you would only hear it with the Sport button ON.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
The TPS sport button mode is going to be quite a bit less sensitive than the normal throttle feel on sport mode.

We don't have a plan to make a more sensitive throttle map, but we can make one. Send me an email and we can work that out. maps@altaperformance.com

We don't have a pop and burble built into our ALTA maps, but if you have an aftermarket catback you might hear a little of it from that.

Pop and burble is built into JCWs factory tune, but not MCS.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man there is no extra power with the sport button on. It just makes the throttle normal instead of partly tarded... I hated the normal mode, that's why I installed the AutoSport module. I don't even have to think of pressing that stupid button.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Carpeviam
2nd Gear
The TPS sport button mode is going to be quite a bit less sensitive than the normal throttle feel on sport mode.

We don't have a plan to make a more sensitive throttle map, but we can make one. Send me an email and we can work that out. maps@altaperformance.com

We don't have a pop and burble built into our ALTA maps, but if you have an aftermarket catback you might hear a little of it from that.

Pop and burble is built into JCWs factory tune, but not MCS.
Yeah, its on a JCW.

But I'll send you an email regarding the map.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread