Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is there a down pipe I could use with my JCW exhaust on a stage 2 if not an AK ?

Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris

Normally I wouldn't recommend running the stage 2 map with the Akrapovic downpipe. Send me some data logs running that for me to double check. I will have to check it to make sure the car is running correctly, or it's going to give you problems down the road.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Miykl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 09 JCW with a drop in air filter and catless downpipe running 93 oct. I installed the 92 octane JCW stage 2 non tps map and have been loving it. Today during a WOT run from 3rd in 5th at about 5k rpm it lost power. I let off and the pwr was back when I got back on it. Do I need to do some logging or ???

Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 PM
lukwen
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know. This alta access port sounds like smoke of a different color. Im sorry dude. it obd2 does'nt everything that dude is diffenently not a good selling point for something that is eclipsing the thousand doller mark. Number 2 talkin about professionals doing the alta access tune for you on a dyno. What people need to get there stuff in order before going to dyno. For the regular guy it one thousand dollers to dyno. combinations of performance parts mini ain't like honda man with thousand of different performance options. Mabey interior exterior options but not performance wise. This is a 1000 doller unit the makers should have maps for a good 80percent of the combos. No unless I was to get the alta turbo I would not just run out and buy the. The unichip is good at least and gets to the point of making more power but in the end the regular ecu has tons of overhead for performance. People just want to do the work of puttin stuff like schrick cams in.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 PM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lukwen
I don't know. This alta access port sounds like smoke of a different color. Im sorry dude. it obd2 does'nt everything that dude is diffenently not a good selling point for something that is eclipsing the thousand doller mark. Number 2 talkin about professionals doing the alta access tune for you on a dyno. What people need to get there stuff in order before going to dyno. For the regular guy it one thousand dollers to dyno. combinations of performance parts mini ain't like honda man with thousand of different performance options. Mabey interior exterior options but not performance wise. This is a 1000 doller unit the makers should have maps for a good 80percent of the combos. No unless I was to get the alta turbo I would not just run out and buy the. The unichip is good at least and gets to the point of making more power but in the end the regular ecu has tons of overhead for performance. People just want to do the work of puttin stuff like schrick cams in.
This post is pure ignorance... the unichip is junk.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 AM
Miykl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Miykl
I have an 09 JCW with a drop in air filter and catless downpipe running 93 oct. I installed the 92 octane JCW stage 2 non tps map and have been loving it. Today during a WOT run from 3rd in 5th at about 5k rpm it lost power. I let off and the pwr was back when I got back on it. Do I need to do some logging or ???
CEL this morning. Will pull the code this evening.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 AM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would reach out to Alta, they are very helpful for this type of thing. The boost cut you are experiencing is not that uncommon. It is the ECU pulling boost because you have exceeded some MAP parameter. You might also try getting updated tunes, I know you bought this programmer used, so I am not sure how new the tunes are.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Miykl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by btwdriver
I would reach out to Alta, they are very helpful for this type of thing. The boost cut you are experiencing is not that uncommon. It is the ECU pulling boost because you have exceeded some MAP parameter. You might also try getting updated tunes, I know you bought this programmer used, so I am not sure how new the tunes are.
What's the best way to reach Alta for this sort of thing? I thought here was the prefered spot. ...oops. I did update the manager and AP firmware b4 going to stage 2.

The car was haul'n the groceries when the boost cut occured. Smiles per minute off the chart. ...and one Camaro highly embarrassed. Not that I condone such things.

Glad to hear it's somewhat common. My first thought was having to chase a boost leak. ..hopefully it's just a tweek needed in the tune. Much easier from my end.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JPMM
Is there a down pipe I could use with my JCW exhaust on a stage 2 if not an AK ?
The stage 2 maps are not compatible for a car that is running any part of the OEM turbo back installed. That includes JCW downpipe, and JCW catback. It's made for a 2.5" catless system, or 3" turbo back with high flow cats.

The OBD2 is a good port to load a custom tune on the ECU. It's a lot easier than removing the ECU and shipping it and having the car down for a few days, or by plugging another part into the ECU, like the Unichip, which we have used in the passed with not a lot of luck.

The AccessPORT comes preloaded with a ton of of maps, for stage 1, stage 1 FMIC, stage 2, stage 3 for 91 and 92+ octane for the JCW and MCS manual and MCS auto! I would say that would cover more than 95% of Mini owners out there. Getting a protune is optional, or for customers that are looking to make even more power than our maps provide. Normally a protune would be somewhere between $400-$500.

I agree that the stock ECU can make a lot of power. You understand that the AccessPORT overwrites the stock programming through the OBD2, and when you're done reflashing the ECU, you unplug it right? The Unichip works by changing numbers before they reach the ECU, so the car is thinking it's running less power than it really is. This can work for small mods theoretically, but it does have it's limits, and has had some reliability issues.

Maybe the AccessPORT isn't for you. You can use the Unichip, it doesn't make nearly the power of the AccessPORT, is not very reliable, and has the ability to only hold 3 tunes.

For sure let me know what codes you got, a list of mods you have, the full name of the map, and the car you have. If you could try to recreate what happened on a datalog, that would be great. That will help me figure out what's going on. Send the datalog to maps@altaperformance.com

Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a cel the other day during hard accelorating in 5th. I tried running the code and nothing came up with both the AP and my Torque app. I just reset it and it hasn't returned.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Porthos,

If you haven't done an update in a few weeks, try doing another update, there was a bug a little while back that didn't allow you to read codes on the beta update, but it's been fixed now.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Miykl
1st Gear
The stage 2 maps are not compatible for a car that is running any part of the OEM turbo back installed. That includes JCW downpipe, and JCW catback. It's made for a 2.5" catless system, or 3" turbo back with high flow cats.
I'm running a 2.5" catless downpipe connected to the OEM (factory 09 JCW) exhuast.

For sure let me know what codes you got, a list of mods you have, the full name of the map, and the car you have. If you could try to recreate what happened on a datalog, that would be great. That will help me figure out what's going on. Send the datalog to maps@altaperformance.com
I'll get the code/s pulled this evening. The code/s did not pop until over a 100 mjiles after the pwr loss occurance. I'll try to recreate the the power loss while logging, but that was the first time it happened. I probably did at least 7-10 other WOT pulls that it didn't happen (b4...didn't push it after). If I'm reading your post right it may be that I'm not properly modded for the JCW Stage 2 map.

mods: 2.5" downpipe and drop in airfilter.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 AM
lukwen
2nd Gear
You have got to be kidding me

Originally Posted by btwdriver
This post is pure ignorance... the unichip is junk.

The Unichip may be junk. but when it comes to engine diagnosis that alta access port aint really on it's game.
Bavarian diagnosis is alot more of quility. The only reason Alta access port has diagnosis is because one can cross reference the info with the tune they just put in. It acts like the world of access port not the real world of what is going on with the car. Example: Bavarian software let me know that I had 4 to five different areas in the car with a possible answer to the problem being; low voltage. I replaced my alternator on my 2008 S and that exhaust is quiet as can be. The alternator on the newer coopers don't have that problem one would think!! That Alta may say it' misfiring but dat's about it.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
That is probably it. Since you have the factory catback installed, you should be running the stage 1 map. With that map, you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. The car is probably not seeing the boost that it wants to see, and is cutting boost.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Miykl
1st Gear
That is probably it. Since you have the factory catback installed, you should be running the stage 1 map. With that map, you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. The car is probably not seeing the boost that it wants to see, and is cutting boost.
Boooooo.

I'm not planning any other engine performance mods aside from a FMIC. Guess I'll knock it down to stage one until the FMIC is installed then get a pro tune. The difference between the 91 oct and 92 oct stage 2 was night and day IMO. I'm probably gonna cry at stage 1. Do you have a "mail order" tune option available?

On the subject of "seeing boost". Which of the AccessPort monitors should I be using to use as a boost gage? And is there a list of definitions for each of the monitors? I found the online user guide but it does not go into this detail.

Thanks

Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Ginvent
2nd Gear
The Unichip may be junk. but when it comes to engine diagnosis that alta access port aint really on it's game.
Bavarian diagnosis is alot more of quility. The only reason Alta access port has diagnosis is because one can cross reference the info with the tune they just put in. It acts like the world of access port not the real world of what is going on with the car. Example: Bavarian software let me know that I had 4 to five different areas in the car with a possible answer to the problem being; low voltage. I replaced my alternator on my 2008 S and that exhaust is quiet as can be. The alternator on the newer coopers don't have that problem one would think!! That Alta may say it' misfiring but dat's about it.
You may want to proofread your post before clicking; "Submit Reply"

Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Boooooo.

I'm not planning any other engine performance mods aside from a FMIC. Guess I'll knock it down to stage one until the FMIC is installed then get a pro tune. The difference between the 91 oct and 92 oct stage 2 was night and day IMO. I'm probably gonna cry at stage 1. Do you have a "mail order" tune option available?

On the subject of "seeing boost". Which of the AccessPort monitors should I be using to use as a boost gage? And is there a list of definitions for each of the monitors? I found the online user guide but it does not go into this detail.

Thanks
We don't really have more aggressive maps available other than the maps that are preloaded on the AccessPORT. If you're looking for more power, you will be better off getting a dyno tune.

To read boost, there should be an option to read "Boost(PSI)"

Were you looking at the giant list found here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/MINI-Acces...n-001/monitors

If you have any questions about what a specific item means, we can explain it to you.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 PM
lukwen
2nd Gear
Ok

Originally Posted by Ginvent
You may want to proofread your post before clicking; "Submit Reply"

OK I got on this website because I have a mini cooper. I do it to figure problems out with my car and possibly help others out with theirs. You sir are not a nice person at all. I made a comment about what I think about the access port one persons opinion my own. And you want to play not one second not one ounce of nothin unless your telling me you love the access port unit.
This website says north american motoring. I made a comment to the product not to your person. I have a mini cooper I spent big money on and professional experience to work on it. Its mellow yellow. I was in the United States Army Black and Gold just like my Cooper.
Because of you I am finished with this website. And I blame you for not have the respect for other people on here.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Miykl
1st Gear
We don't really have more aggressive maps available other than the maps that are preloaded on the AccessPORT. If you're looking for more power, you will be better off getting a dyno tune.
Not so much "more pwr", just more than stage1. Something that could take advantage of the catless downpipe despite having "just" the JCW catback.

To read boost, there should be an option to read "Boost(PSI)"

Were you looking at the giant list found here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/MINI-Acces...n-001/monitors

If you have any questions about what a specific item means, we can explain it to you.
Found it, thanks. I wasn't scrolling far enough through the menu. User error. Bet you never come across THAT as being the problem.

Pulled the code. It would appear this is the post cat o2 sensor. I thought the tune disabled it? If not you should know I was hard headed and tried using the "anifouler" mod (spacers) despite the numerous post about it not working. If the ECU still wants to read the post cat o2 sensor, I'll need to remove the spacers.

P2096 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim Too Lean

Name:  code.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  42.6 KB

Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Ginvent
2nd Gear
OK I got on this website because I have a mini cooper. I do it to figure problems out with my car and possibly help others out with theirs. You sir are not a nice person at all. I made a comment about what I think about the access port one persons opinion my own. And you want to play not one second not one ounce of nothin unless your telling me you love the access port unit.
This website says north american motoring. I made a comment to the product not to your person. I have a mini cooper I spent big money on and professional experience to work on it. Its mellow yellow. I was in the United States Army Black and Gold just like my Cooper.
Because of you I am finished with this website. And I blame you for not have the respect for other people on here.

I was just a tip didn't mean to pry. people tend to tune out post that are hard to read. said nothing more nothing less.

V/r
Ginvent
(S)Sgt USAF

Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginvent
I was just a tip didn't mean to pry. people tend to tune out post that are hard to read. said nothing more nothing less.

V/r
Ginvent
(S)Sgt USAF
I would cut him some slack, I assume that English is his second language. There's nothing wrong with that, we get some great information from countries outside the U.S.

Dave

Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Excuse me if I missed something. This is fairly new territory for me. I see the accessport is 2012 JCW Coupe compatible. Are there any pre made maps for it?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:52 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Hello, the AccessPORT is compatible as long as it's a JCW. There are pre made maps, for every car, just like for all of the other cars, thanks!

Old 04-24-2012, 04:53 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Thanks for the reply! Yes it's a 2012 JCW Coupe with the N14 engine. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions but this is great news. Time to start saving my pennies!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pleassssssse, give us some kinda info on the 2011 mcs. I have my list of mods
Alta billet turbo
Accessport
FMIC
I already ordered a FMIC, Im just waiting on the AP so I can order it with the turbo.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by automan21
Pleassssssse, give us some kinda info on the 2011 mcs. I have my list of mods
Alta billet turbo
Accessport
FMIC
I already ordered a FMIC, Im just waiting on the AP so I can order it with the turbo.
I would assume that they are being as transparent as possible with us about tunes on the 2011s, why wouldn't they be. We need an inside person at MINI/BMW to help crack the code to speed up the process. Soooooooo antsy waiting for a OBD tune to be available. Or, until my warranty expires, which will come first

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread