Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 AM
an2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
An2, A custom dyno tune is going to run around $500 or so depending on the shop. Or are you looking for an email tune from us?
I was looking into both really - although given that I'm currently stuck in deepest darkest central Ontario, I suspect an email tune will be my most practical option.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Performance Auto Solutions in NY would be the closest shop that can make a tune for you on the dyno, here's a link to their website: http://www.performanceautosolutions.com/

But if you are in Centeral Ontario, that's really not that close unfortunately. If you have more questions about a custom map, send me an email at maps@altaperformance.com

Old 03-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
When will we see a stage 2 tune that covers akra and other downpipes?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 PM
10mcs4fun
Neutral
I removed my AP tune on Sunday (stage 1 with intercooler, 92 octane) and replaced with stock map in preparation for a dealer visit for the aux water pump recall. I was surprised that, on completion of the process, my auxiliary fan came on. Hadn't had this activate since I can't remember when. It has also come on each of the last 2 nights after shutting down from my commute home from work. Just curious to hear whether Alta or other users are familiar with this as it would seem the Alta map may have defeated the sensor that turns on the aux fan. Any theories?

Thanks,
Pat

Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
When will we see a stage 2 tune that covers akra and other downpipes?
We don't have any new maps for that in the works right now. Those exhausts run great on the stage 1 maps. If you're looking for even more power, it would be best to get a dyno tune. You can find a list of current Mini AccessPORT tuners here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/Pro-Tuners-s/70681.htm#Mini

Originally Posted by 10mcs4fun
I removed my AP tune on Sunday (stage 1 with intercooler, 92 octane) and replaced with stock map in preparation for a dealer visit for the aux water pump recall. I was surprised that, on completion of the process, my auxiliary fan came on. Hadn't had this activate since I can't remember when. It has also come on each of the last 2 nights after shutting down from my commute home from work. Just curious to hear whether Alta or other users are familiar with this as it would seem the Alta map may have defeated the sensor that turns on the aux fan. Any theories?

Thanks,
Pat
Pat,

That is strange, since the ALTA tune actually shouldn't change the temp that the fan is turning on. A good test to do would be to check the coolant temp with the AccessPORT live data feature when the fan is turning on with the stock tune. Then after flashing the map, check the temp after the car is shut off and see if it's hitting the same temp and not turning on.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 PM
10mcs4fun
Neutral
Thanks Chris. Good suggestion. Will do so after dealer visit and report back.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Free BOV Spring Upgrade With Every AccessPORT Purchased Through The Month Of March.
Click the image below to check this out on the ALTA Performance web site.

What is a BOV Spring Upgrade?
The ALTA BOV Spring Upgrade for your stock Blow Off Valve is a very effective way to make your Turbocharged Mini hold more boost between shifts, reducing turbo lag and boosting performance. The stiffer spring still allows for normal functioning of the BOV during light throttle lifts, but keeps more pressure in the boost tubes making it feel much faster shifting.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
jacinf
2nd Gear
Hello,

I just installed my recently purchased ALTA AccessPORT in my 2008 Clubman S. I have no other performance mods installed (yet.. intake coming tonight and FMIC in the next month). I used the 91 Octane Stage 1 tune and I can certainly feel the difference.

I am having one issue though... My Clubman is an Automatic.. and the shifting has become erratic since putting the tune on. It shifts at really weird times and causes the car to become really jerky when attempting to accelerate fast. If I accelerate slower with a less aggressive push on the gas pedal it shifts better.. but if I want to gun it.. it jerks really bad when shifting.

Is this normal? Did I put the wrong tune on the car? It feels like something is wrong. I uninstalled the AccessPORT to make sure nothing was wrong with the transmission and it shifted fine then... I then reinstalled and the issue came back.

Any suggestions? Is this just the way it is?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Scooter09
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jacinf
Hello,

I just installed my recently purchased ALTA AccessPORT in my 2008 Clubman S. I have no other performance mods installed (yet.. intake coming tonight and FMIC in the next month). I used the 91 Octane Stage 1 tune and I can certainly feel the difference.

I am having one issue though... My Clubman is an Automatic.. and the shifting has become erratic since putting the tune on. It shifts at really weird times and causes the car to become really jerky when attempting to accelerate fast. If I accelerate slower with a less aggressive push on the gas pedal it shifts better.. but if I want to gun it.. it jerks really bad when shifting.

Is this normal? Did I put the wrong tune on the car? It feels like something is wrong. I uninstalled the AccessPORT to make sure nothing was wrong with the transmission and it shifted fine then... I then reinstalled and the issue came back.

Any suggestions? Is this just the way it is?
I'm fairly certain that issue has been resolved. If you go on the ALTA sight you can talk to a tech through instant message, or you could e-mail them, that's probably the fastest way to get it fixed.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:50 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Yep we can fix that. Send me an email at maps@perrinperformance.com. I'll need to know the full ECU code, and map that you're running. To get that, go to Tune, then show installed map. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I had the same issue with my 08MCSa. If you call Alta, they will email you a revised map that will straighten it out. They are 'working' on a revised map for the auto cars, but it is still not perfect. It is dramatically improved, though.

Mike

Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM
jacinf
2nd Gear
Awesome! Thanks guys.

I'll get that info at lunch and email you.

*Update* Email sent to maps@perrinperformance.com. Thanks!

Last edited by jacinf; 03-22-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Sacred Disorder
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 10mcs4fun

Thanks,
Pat
This also happens every time I reflash my car. Although the fan will still kick on if I am stuck in traffic after some hard driving or if it is hot out. I always just thought it was normal.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Alta Guys, I have been running multiple "Beta" versions of the code for some time, and just updated the accessport's firmware to 1.6.5 beta build to version 3680. I work in the software industry, and typically have asked our customers to test a fix or perform an early evaluation on a beta release, but never expect our customers to run the software long term.

Is there a planned "complete" release in the works?

Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Rockridge,

The beta update contains small changes for idle, different shifting programming for autos, and newly added ECUs. These beta updates are totally fine to run on cars permanently since they really are just alternate maps. We put these updates in the beta update, since most cars run fine with the normal maps. If a customer has an issue, we first have them try the beta update.

A misconception I think out there is that the beta maps are better. They aren't better maps, they are alternate sets of maps.

If you guys are looking to make more power out of our maps, get a protune! Here is a list of protuners on COBB's Website. A protune can be made to make more power, and can be custom tailored to just about however you want!

We are working on our maps a little every day. I can't tell you when we are going to have a big update. If anyone has any issues with their map, they can always email me.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:37 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Chris,

I was just at the local Mini garage here in Massachusetts, and after a discussion with the shop owner, am considering Adding a FMIC, CAI, and associated tubes. I know that If I do this, I can select the Stage 1 with FMIC option in the accessport. What is the expected performance boost I will see from this investment?

Old 04-05-2012, 03:57 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
The FMIC with stage 1 tune will give you about 10 WHP and 10FT LBS more than the standard stage 1 would be giving you. Plus more consistent power even when it's warm out!

Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM
timtim
2nd Gear
The FMIC with stage 1 tune will give you about 10 WHP and 10FT LBS more than the standard stage 1 would be giving you. Plus more consistent power even when it's warm out!
What does this mean in plain english, Give a real number, not something where I have to figure it out... 25hp? 30hp? 35hp? What's the number?

Also, I read a few months ago where someone asked about this automatic trans shifting issue and you said it had been solved... Why is this question coming up again if it is solved?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
10 (front)wheel horse power and 10 foot pounds of torque seems like a nice improvement over an stock intercooler and a stock intake.
Picking up my used AP tomorrow, is these anything I should consider before grinning?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
About a month ago, I pit in a forge IC and DOS intake and put it on a dyno. 2012 JCW R55. It put out 206hp/226tq with the stock tune. Stage 1FMIC tune and it put down 228hp/267tq. A gain of just over 20hp and 40 ftlbs of torque with the tune. I can scan/email the dyno sheet if you'd like to see it. Oh, I did a 300 mile drve 2 weeks ago and still got 34mpg at 70mph avg speed.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 AM
timtim
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cmcveay
About a month ago, I pit in a forge IC and DOS intake and put it on a dyno. 2012 JCW R55. It put out 206hp/226tq with the stock tune. Stage 1FMIC tune and it put down 228hp/267tq. A gain of just over 20hp and 40 ftlbs of torque with the tune. I can scan/email the dyno sheet if you'd like to see it. Oh, I did a 300 mile drve 2 weeks ago and still got 34mpg at 70mph avg speed.
Wow, I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed, and I think you should be also... A measly 22hp gain on a JCW with a FMIC running on 92+ octane fuel? The ALTA website shows a 20-40hp gain for a JCW running a Stage 1 map... A regular Stage 1 not the Stage 1 FMIC/92!

Based on what ALTA_Chris stated "The FMIC with stage 1 tune will give you about 10 WHP and 10FT LBS more than the standard stage 1 would be giving you. Plus more consistent power even when it's warm out!"

That should be a minimum of 30-50hp above the stock output! You show only a 22hp gain, I don't get it... where is the 10-30hp you're missing?

I wanna believe but the cool-aide is still a little sour.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:15 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Disappointed? No, but I did data log the dyno pulls so maybe Chris or one of the other guys can look at them. The bottom line for me is that so many aftermarket parts advertise XX% increase but the numbers just don't show up. For 1/2 the cost of a cat-back exhaust, you get a tune and all of the other tools that come with the AP and the dyno proves the numbers are correct.

Last edited by cmcveay; 04-06-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:22 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by timtim
Wow, I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed, and I think you should be also... A measly 22hp gain on a JCW with a FMIC running on 92+ octane fuel? The ALTA website shows a 20-40hp gain for a JCW running a Stage 1 map... A regular Stage 1 not the Stage 1 FMIC/92!

Based on what ALTA_Chris stated "The FMIC with stage 1 tune will give you about 10 WHP and 10FT LBS more than the standard stage 1 would be giving you. Plus more consistent power even when it's warm out!"

That should be a minimum of 30-50hp above the stock output! You show only a 22hp gain, I don't get it... where is the 10-30hp you're missing?

There is nothing to be dissapointed with in his numbers.

I can tell you from having an R56 with similar numbers, the car frickin MOVES. He's only on a Stg 1 tune...on Stg 3, 92 octane...I'll bet he has close to 300 ft-lbs to the wheels.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Timtim,

There are a lot of factors that can affect dyno readings. Air temps, time between runs, different parts, locations of fans can all affect readings. cmcveay is seeing some good gains that make a big difference. 20 WHP and 40 FT LBS may not seem like a lot, but it's a lot in a mini. I'd have to see the datalogs, dyno sheets and get more info on the setup to get a good idea of what was going on.

Originally Posted by timtim

Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
There is nothing to be dissapointed with in his numbers.

I can tell you from having an R56 with similar numbers, the car frickin MOVES. He's only on a Stg 1 tune...on Stg 3, 92 octane...I'll bet he has close to 300 ft-lbs to the wheels.
I would have run the other tunes on the dyno but I was running out of time. I'm sure Dan over at Mach V will be having another dyno day in the near future and I'll go back for another round and see if we can flog it with all of the tunes just to see what it does.

You are correct though thumper, there's no doubt that you are going in the direction you are pointing the car - very quickly - with the Stage 1 tune and the DOS intake makes the most awesome sounds when you do that.

The problem though is the OEM summer tires (they only have 7k on them) is that they simply don't have enough traction to put that much power down if it's done abrubtly. If your ankle is an "on/off" switch, it sounds and looks good but your acceleration is going up in smoke. Controlling the power can be a challenge and with the stage 2 and stae 3 tunes, it's fun but it's a little much for the OEM rubber. Later this summer, I'll be chucking the OEM runflats out and I know 235/40-17's will fit under the car so I'll be putting more meat under it.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread