Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Please help with vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:00 PM
themarques
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with vacuum lines

Hey guys I think I've piped the vacuum lines wrong cause the fuel tank is now popping and is under extreme vacuum if I try open it when engine running.

If someone could please tell me the exact way all the pipes go il be forever indebted. Especially the ones that go to the boost controller the diagram makes no sense.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:07 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by themarques
Hey guys I think I've piped the vacuum lines wrong cause the fuel tank is now popping and is under extreme vacuum if I try open it when engine running.

If someone could please tell me the exact way all the pipes go il be forever indebted. Especially the ones that go to the boost controller the diagram makes no sense.

None of these lines / components have anything to do with the fuel tank. The lines / components shown are for switching the waste gate on and off --- the ECU varies its "duty cycle" to control boost. The tank shown is mounted on the lower rear side of the engine, below the intake manifold.

Your lowest arrow connects to the vacuum pump, not included in the pic. That line connects to #2, a vacuum switch, either side. The other side of #2 connects to #1, a vacuum reservoir tank, again, either side. The other side of #1 connects to the turbo's waste gate. The switch doesn't care which side is input or output and neither does the tank (your upper arrow).

I'm not sure why you would want to open the fuel tank with the engine running, but it doesn't sound like a good idea. Same with the lines in question.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:05 PM
themarques
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
None of these lines / components have anything to do with the fuel tank. The lines / components shown are for switching the waste gate on and off --- the ECU varies its "duty cycle" to control boost. The tank shown is mounted on the lower rear side of the engine, below the intake manifold.

Your lowest arrow connects to the vacuum pump, not included in the pic. That line connects to #2, a vacuum switch, either side. The other side of #2 connects to #1, a vacuum reservoir tank, again, either side. The other side of #1 connects to the turbo's waste gate. The switch doesn't care which side is input or output and neither does the tank (your upper arrow).

I'm not sure why you would want to open the fuel tank with the engine running, but it doesn't sound like a good idea. Same with the lines in question.
Thank you so much, the reason I was opening the gas tank when the engine was running is cause I can hear its not venting so I thought the only logic was that these vacuum lines were piped wrong and sucking vacuum.

I guess that might lead me to the fact my tank vent is going crazy cause you can actually hear the tank popping.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:01 PM
ColoCoug
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If that's happening, chances are that you have a plugged vent line or a check valve that's stuck.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:47 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yea, the vacuum lines are here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-oil-leak.html

Pressure converter here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ing-off-2.html

The tank makes a normal noise of expansion, like a thud... thud .. after you fill it up and also when it get warmer and the temp changes. Sometimes you will here the rear leak pump kick on.

It that what you hear ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-10-2018, 08:13 PM
davrudy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind

is this accurate? seems off to me...

Old 07-10-2018, 08:16 PM
davrudy
1st Gear
i know this an old thread, but i really need a good diagram for the vacuum lines. the one from realoem sucks and doesn't really help at all....

Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Thats the diagram i have, but if you dig through the TIS there are some parts of the DIY:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...epair-manuals/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 PM
davrudy
1st Gear
solved!

oldbrokenwind had it backwards.

it goes: From vacuum pump to the vacuum tank underneath the intake manifold. from the vacuum tank to on the pressure converter. from the pressure converter to the wastegate.

also, the tank is non-directional, but the wastegate (the larger tube) is designed to go to the inside nipple (the larger of the two) on the pressure converter.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
There now --- that wasn't so hard was it. Different diameter hoses and fittings, different length hoses, and any possibility of mixing up a pair of hoses really doesn't make any difference. Actually, my Garrett doesn't use any of this stuff --- it was disconnected and boxed up in my garage several years ago. My original reply was over 2 years ago, and my memory hasn't improved even a little bit.

Hopefully, after figuring out how to connect your hoses, you have a better understanding of how the wastegate functions.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:26 AM
tow hook
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how did you guys do your turbo charger vacuum lines ? did you have to pull the intake manifold ?MINI Cooper R56 Turbocharged Engine Intake Manifold Replacement (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article i can't get my eyes on part #2 of that diagram thanks, car is apart now i have the thick long hose a short hose to attach to the vacuum switch.

thanks

yes i ended up pulling the intake manifold off to do the job, and check the vaccum res. box as well. vaccum lines were bad. had to wait 3 days for new intake gaskets

Last edited by tow hook; 12-28-2022 at 09:05 AM. Reason: update