R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 02:00 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 224 Posts
Thank you for the the thoughtful reply... and for bearing with my questions.

I truly appreciate all the knowledge and feedback from this thread.

Just to be clear

Has anyone on this thread....
From the donor car, removed the Speed/Tach Cluster, The center Chrono-Cluster, The DME (aka ECU), BC1, EWS, and key-fobs?
And, after removal of your Navi center cluster, or simple speedometer center cluster, and all of the same items (Speed/Tach Cluster, The center Chrono-Cluster, The DME (aka ECU), BC1, EWS, and key-fobs).... you installed all of these 'donor' components into your car including the speed/tach cluster on the steering column?

OR...

Was it only the Speed/Tach Cluster & the center Chrono-Cluster from the 'donor' vehicle without the other modules installed/transplanted into the car.... all while retaining your existing DME etc??

Originally Posted by A383Wing
Unless both cars came from the factory with everything exactly the same on them, which I doubt, you are going to end up with lights on in the Chrono cluster, and/or the speedo-tach cluster. There are numerous threads on this subject....so far nobody has done a successful swap to Chrono cluster, including myself. I have the program here to fix the lights on, I just have not had time to mess with it.

If you think you can do it, give it a try, if it works, you will be the first person to succeed ......I didn't have a donor car, I just had the Chrono gauge set from the same year car...lots of things in my car didn't work, my back up parking distance sensors for one...there were many other items as well

Let me know how it turns out

Bryan

Old 11-30-2020, 02:51 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by mountainhorse
Was it only the Speed/Tach Cluster & the center Chrono-Cluster from the 'donor' vehicle without the other modules installed/transplanted into the car.... all while retaining your existing DME etc??
this is what I did

Old 12-17-2020, 12:58 PM
cut7
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by YulCmr
How do you overwrite with NCS expert ? Only with ZCS coding like AutoMutt said ? :Update ZCS :
  • Plug cable into OBD2 port and connect
  • Open NCS Expert
  • Load Revtor profile
  • Press F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
  • Press F3 (VIN/FA f. ECU)
  • Choose: Chasis R50 (for R50/R52/R53)
  • Choose: EWS (To get current data from your auto)
  • Now you will see the GM/SA/VN. Take a pic or write this down.
  • Press F3 (VIN/FA f. ECU)
  • Choose: Chasis R50 (for R50/R52/R53)
  • Choose: KMB (To get data from replacement kombi, You will notice the GM/SA/VN is different)
  • Press F1 (Enter ZCS)
  • Enter the data you took a pic of or wrote down from earlier step
  • Press F6 (Back)
  • Press F4 (Process ECU do NOT press Process Car)
  • Choose: KMB
  • Press F2 (Change Job)
  • Choose: ZCS-SCHREIBEN (This means ZCS_WRITE)
  • Press F3 (Execute Job)
  • Close NCS Expert
Thanks @thomm
I tried this with NCS-Expert v3.1, a few of the steps were slightly different. It seems as if the process completed correctly, but when I checked the KMB data, it still had the wrong VIN.

Help!

Old 01-09-2021, 02:04 PM
Giulio1986
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everybody,

I tried to go though the whole post my I’m really confused, not only for the language (I’m from Italy so apologies for my english) but also for the content of the various steps and evolutions.

I own a facelift R52 with Navi and I have now switched to the Chrono pack.

I’m now trying to figure out how to reset the chrono gauge mileage (now I see the mileage of the donor car that is higher than mine) and also the VIN.
I had the TPMS light on but doing an error cancel procedure though INPA I was able to switch it off (maybe it will pop up again... I had not the possibility to go for a ride).

So my question is... would it be possible to sync my mileage and VIN using Bmw Tools and OBD access I have (NCSExp, INPA,....) or I need to re-program the chrono gauge on the bench?

if yes, can you tell me in which portion of the discussion I can find a step by step tutorial?

if not, can you tell me what I have to do/buy?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Giulio

Old 01-11-2021, 07:08 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Received 323 Likes on 224 Posts
Ask Haywood Warwick on Facebook. He can tell you everything you need to know. He is Derbyshire UK 🇬🇧

Old 02-28-2021, 01:31 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
off season and I'm finally getting around to paying with this r270+ I found the pinout numbers but I could not find which wires are coax, anyone have that handy?

Old 02-28-2021, 02:33 PM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@MrBlah Have a look on my git, there're some infos about pinout etc ... https://github.com/YulCmr/mini_chron...ster/README.md

The following users liked this post:
MrBlah (02-28-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 08:58 PM
JJordan
Neutral
Newbie here. 06 R53 and just got the chrono. T

Newbie here with a 06 R53. Did anyone figure out how to get the Chrono gauges working correctly and showing the correct mileage for the car.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:38 AM
cut7
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JJordan
Newbie here with a 06 R53. Did anyone figure out how to get the Chrono gauges working correctly and showing the correct mileage for the car.
Yes, PMed you.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:35 AM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cut7
Yes, PMed you.
please PM me too.
Thanks

Old 04-12-2021, 10:59 AM
USNAE2
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Please PM me also...interested to find out how you did it.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:59 PM
keimanr
1st Gear
Hi I can confirm, that it is possible to get Chrono working perfectly with mileage and no lights on first gen. minis. on pre face ones also a DME+EWS+key chip swap is needed. I think for a tech guy with PC and electronic skills, all info needed is in this thread. The rest are some tools from Aliexpress.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:54 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by keimanr
Hi I can confirm, that it is possible to get Chrono working perfectly with mileage and no lights on first gen. minis. on pre face ones also a DME+EWS+key chip swap is needed. I think for a tech guy with PC and electronic skills, all info needed is in this thread. The rest are some tools from Aliexpress.
I have a pre face-lift mini that I added chrono too. You do not have to swap ews to get it to work.. I just had a used post face-lift DME programed at set in unlock mode to allow it to sink with my EWS. Works perfect.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:54 AM
keimanr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by shrevemini
I have a pre face-lift mini that I added chrono too. You do not have to swap ews to get it to work.. I just had a used post face-lift DME programed at set in unlock mode to allow it to sink with my EWS. Works perfect.
Thanks for this information. I was not sure if this is possible, as I did not get that deep in the research of the DME reprogramming. EWS is easy and cheap to mess with (change VIN and add keys) so I went this way last year.

on the other hand I still got from ebay a second hand remapped post facelift DME /without EWS with it/, that I want to try on my car. Would you advice a thread or info somewhere so i could find out about this unlock mode?

Old 04-13-2021, 05:44 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Had a friend in the UK 🇬🇧 get me a used post DME. I needed this to get the oil pressure an temp to work correctly on my mini. When he reprogrammed my DME he set it up in Virginia mode. So this allowed my Ews to read DME as a new unit. This allowed it to sink together.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:27 PM
Thornutt
I am trying to do the same thing with my 06 R53, if anyone could send a little help/tips my way I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:47 PM
Thornutt
Originally Posted by cut7
Yes, PMed you.
I am also a newbie that now has 06 R53 that I am trying to add Chrono pack to. Any help that could be sent my way would be greatly appreciated. I think that I have an idea on how to get this going, but would love to have someone with more wisdom/experience to guide me so I don't "brick" my Mini.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:49 PM
Thornutt
06 R53 Chrono setup help?

I am also a newbie that now has 06 R53 that I am trying to add Chrono pack to. Any help that could be sent my way would be greatly appreciated. I think that I have an idea on how to get this going, but would love to have someone with more wisdom/experience to guide me so I don't "brick" my Mini.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:08 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
why are PMs being sent, is something secret that cannot be shared?

I have my r270+ now, but unfortunately the dvd it came with is unreadable so I do not have the pinout instructions

Old 04-25-2021, 03:45 PM
Lakersam88
1st Gear
Hi all,

i have a related question about the center chrono gauge.

i have a 2006 r52s that came with chrono

I was trying to wire up my boost gauge and i shorted something. I accidentally made the green wire with blue stripe (yellow dots) touch ground and something shorted.

Lowbeams arent turning on, gauges are lit but not reading anything.

All other lights work.

I checked f8 and f12 under the hood and theyre fine
I checked every single fuse in the footwell and not a single one is blown

I disconnected my center gauge (i have chrono pack) and with this disconnected, lowbeam function of my headlights work again.

Obviously gauges are still not working. HVAC/AC controls also arent working at all.

******I am assuming that the center gauge has a part in making all of these things work or not work. Can anyone confirm? *****

i am looking for a used chrono center gauge locally.

what issues will i have swapping a different chrono center gauge to my oem-equipped chrono r52?

thank you all in advance

Old 04-25-2021, 03:50 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
All that is controlled by the BCM.
The issue going to be that the miles will be different unless you get one that is close to the same milage.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:56 PM
Lakersam88
1st Gear
Originally Posted by shrevemini
All that is controlled by the BCM.
The issue going to be that the miles will be different unless you get one that is close to the same milage.
mileage discrepancy i dont mind or care

the headlight function working again with the center gauge unplugged tells me it plays a function no?

does it make sense that with a bad center gauge, the hvac controls are not working?

Old 04-25-2021, 11:45 PM
keimanr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Lakersam88
Hi all,

i have a related question about the center chrono gauge.

i have a 2006 r52s that came with chrono

I was trying to wire up my boost gauge and i shorted something. I accidentally made the green wire with blue stripe (yellow dots) touch ground and something shorted.

Lowbeams arent turning on, gauges are lit but not reading anything.

All other lights work.

I checked f8 and f12 under the hood and theyre fine
I checked every single fuse in the footwell and not a single one is blown

I disconnected my center gauge (i have chrono pack) and with this disconnected, lowbeam function of my headlights work again.

Obviously gauges are still not working. HVAC/AC controls also arent working at all.

******I am assuming that the center gauge has a part in making all of these things work or not work. Can anyone confirm? *****

i am looking for a used chrono center gauge locally.

what issues will i have swapping a different chrono center gauge to my oem-equipped chrono r52?

thank you all in advance
Hi there,
I guess you have also checked the fuses in the foot area on the left side (driver's side). I think the fuse for the Kombi instrument (center gauges) is there.

I can help you further if you are able to tell me the wire you shorted to which pin of which connector to the Kombi corresponds.
Do not hurry with buying another Chrono.
I am positive the problem is elsewhere. Was the Chrono powered when shorted the wire? (ignition key at what position?)

BR

Old 04-26-2021, 05:18 AM
Lakersam88
1st Gear
Originally Posted by keimanr
Hi there,
I guess you have also checked the fuses in the foot area on the left side (driver's side). I think the fuse for the Kombi instrument (center gauges) is there.

I can help you further if you are able to tell me the wire you shorted to which pin of which connector to the Kombi corresponds.
Do not hurry with buying another Chrono.
I am positive the problem is elsewhere. Was the Chrono powered when shorted the wire? (ignition key at what position?)

BR
Hi, yes. The wires that touch were the green with blue stripe in the steering column and it touched a ground.

This green with blue stripe wire is in the left (larger) connector of the center gauge.

it is also in the blue plug of the bcm

the car was on (engine running) when it shorted

Old 04-26-2021, 11:13 PM
keimanr
1st Gear
It looks to me as if you have blown fuse F40 (5A) in the passenger compartment.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)