R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 04:49 AM
Lakersam88
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so i have found a fix, its a bit of a ghetto-rig but it works

i spliced into the green wire with blue stripe and i ran a wire straight to the fusebox using an add-a-circuit connector, i used fuse #36 so that it will only come on when the key is in on position (switched 12v essentially)

to my surprise, everything works as intended. Full headlight functionality, hvac controls now have power again

as previously mentioned, no fuse popped. I checked every single fuse in the footwell and under the hood.

i am still unsure what “broke” or shorted. Any other vehicle and this will have popped a fuse and that would be the end of it. I’m still not sure what happened.

my boost gauge is dead electrically, which is a small price i will gladly pay and not have to replace any other things

Old 05-31-2021, 02:37 AM
Edoardo Marzi
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, i write from Italy and i would like to thank everyone in this thread who helped me and many others coding the chronopack.
I would like to tell you my little story with this bad boy.
I gave it to a guy who corrupted my flash (SW22) so i had a dead chrono in my room looking at me every day. After reading this thread I decided to buy the R270 clone on Aliexpress for 27 bucks. Firstly i flashed my chrono with digital kaos sw22 flash and eprom files but i can confirm they are not good, so i used the SW23 files posted by @YulCmr (I love you)
I compared the flash files and SW22 is the same as SW23, i couldn't compare correctly the eeprom files due to mileage, zcs and vin differences.
After i flashed SW23 in my SW22 chrono it came back to life, i flashed the 0 km eprom file so when i plugged it into my car i had just 252kms, amazing.
I didn't touch the vin in eeprom file cause i wanted to try the @thomm 's method with NCS.
Well i can confirm that if mileage is less than 255 NCS can rewrite the vin on the Kombi without any problems
Step 1: Reset your mileage with a good programmer
Step 2: Fit the chrono in the car and check that mileage is 252
Step 3: With NCS Expert extract the actual ZCS of YOUR CAR from EWS, NOT KMB (THIS IS IMPORTANT)
Step 4: In expertmode, write the ZCS you extracted from EWS to your used KMB using the command ZCS_schreiben
Step 5: Now it's time to recode the vin, the procedure is exactly the same as for the ZCS but in the end just use the FGNR_schreiben command and voila, the kmb will get VIN and Mileage from BC1 automatically (you need to turn ignition off and then on again to see the changes, obviously after coding ended)
Step 6: with Dis V44 update your zcs to add the chronopack retrofit
After these steps you'll have a perfect chronopack in your car perfectly coded, just like an original one
I was just curious about the differences from SW22 and SW23 but i can live with that doubt hahahaha
Again, thanks to everyone and i hope i can help others with my post

The following 4 users liked this post by Edoardo Marzi:
cut7 (03-19-2022), deepgrey (05-31-2021), Mini03Tiger84 (06-24-2021), shrevemini (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 09:56 PM
thomm
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congratulations!
That’s the way you can swap used clusters on almost every BMW...
sometime it’s easier than you think

The following users liked this post:
Edoardo Marzi (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 02:14 AM
Edoardo Marzi
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thomm
Congratulations!
That’s the way you can swap used clusters on almost every BMW...
sometime it’s easier than you think
Yes it's awesome that ncs expert can rewrite the vin with less than 255 miles, what a software!
Now i'm just curious to find differences from SW22 and SW23 if anyone know.
Thank you again @thomm for this awesome trick, it's easier than rewrite the eeprom file

Old 06-01-2021, 09:56 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I have a r270 clone but it didn't come with any software or instructions it'd be great if someone could share them with me

Old 06-01-2021, 02:49 PM
Edoardo Marzi
1st Gear
I can send the program to you, it's only 30Mb, can i attach it here?

cut7 (03-15-2022)
Old 06-02-2021, 11:46 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Edoardo Marzi
I can send the program to you, it's only 30Mb, can i attach it here?
I sent you a pm, probably too big to attach here

Edoardo Marzi (06-03-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 08:27 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Edoardo Marzi
Yes it's awesome that ncs expert can rewrite the vin with less than 255 miles, what a software!
Now i'm just curious to find differences from SW22 and SW23 if anyone know.
Thank you again @thomm for this awesome trick, it's easier than rewrite the eeprom file
Translation for an old guy please?

Does this make the Chrono pack plug and play? What all is entailed (in simple terms)?

Old 06-23-2021, 07:10 AM
DarkoTr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm experiencing some trouble with CAN Bus and I suspect the problem it's the speedo, and I want to swap it with one from salvage yard, from what I understood the easiest solution is to replace the EEPROM chip from the old to the spare part, so I would not mess with the mileage and the VIN, and I have someone who can code the spare later, but can you point out where is the EEPROM on the board? Or steps of dissasembly of the Cluster?

Thank you in advance!

Old 06-27-2021, 12:00 PM
thomm
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DarkoTr
Hi Guys,

I'm experiencing some trouble with CAN Bus and I suspect the problem it's the speedo, and I want to swap it with one from salvage yard, from what I understood the easiest solution is to replace the EEPROM chip from the old to the spare part, so I would not mess with the mileage and the VIN, and I have someone who can code the spare later, but can you point out where is the EEPROM on the board? Or steps of dissasembly of the Cluster?

Thank you in advance!
changing the eeprom is not so obvious.
the easiest way is to read your old eeprom and write this file in your new eeprom.
this way everything will be back to normal.
Please note that the old and new counters have the same part number.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:39 PM
DarkoTr
Neutral
You mean I should buy new chip and read/copy the data from the original one to it?
Can you point out where is the chip on the board?

Old 08-13-2021, 03:48 AM
redcode9
Neutral
Hi, I have a problem about my chrono pack installation.
So, I bought a Chrono Pack Code 6211-6953548 with Manufacturing Date: 29/09/04.
I have a Mini Cooper S R53 170CV and I have to install it. I have already read the whole discussion but I have some trouble.

This Chrono Pack internal is: MC912DG128ACPV 3K91D QQEJ0422.

I have already purchased an R270+ CAS4 BDM Programmer but I don't understund something.

1) How can I see which version of 3K91D I have to use? Because on R270 there are multiple choices, how W203_3K91D, W211_3K91D etc etc..
2) I Don't understand where I have to weld. Maybe I'm THE stupid but please, help.
3) When I bought my R53, the KOMBI wasn't the original, I need the original one to do this work or I can do it without problems? (I Have already checked the differences between VIN).

Here I will put a pic from the behind of my Chrono, Thank's for the help!

Old 08-13-2021, 05:15 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
You can find some info about pinout on my github (which is linked above in the thread : https://github.com/YulCmr/mini_chron...ster/README.md)

I used a R270 too so you should be able to achieve the chrono swap. To read/write I don't remember being forced to chose between 2 mercedes models .... can you share a screenshot of your software ? (did this a year ago, I don't really remember the software interface...)

Old 08-13-2021, 05:19 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
I forgot to answer your third question. If you have your ORI encoded VIN, it's better to get DSC & TPMS system working (or a least, no lights on). I don't know if encoding if the same as E46, but if it's the case we can maybe encode your VIN properly. I've personally red the VIN from my original KMB, then pasted the VIN in the Chrono binary, then flashed into chrono. There's some detail about VIN encoding the this thread but AFAIK decoding was not complete. (Once more, did this a long time ago, I may be wrong here)

Old 08-13-2021, 05:27 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
One last thing, sorry for the multiple posts .... you need to refer to wire numbers and not colors when using R270, as described on my git, for reference my R270 came as follow (from a picture I found on my phone) :

GND / Pin 26 -> Brown
VDD 5V / Pin 1 -> Blue
Reset / Pin 7 -> Looks black to me
BKGD (Background Debug) / Pin 19 -> Grey

Then Oscillator :
ECLK (Clock) / Pin 8 -> White
ECLK_Ref (Clock ground) / Pin 24 -> Orange

Once more, this is how my own R270 came from factory. Yours *can* be different.

Old 08-14-2021, 05:34 AM
redcode9
Neutral
Originally Posted by YulCmr
One last thing, sorry for the multiple posts .... you need to refer to wire numbers and not colors when using R270, as described on my git, for reference my R270 came as follow (from a picture I found on my phone) :

GND / Pin 26 -> Brown
VDD 5V / Pin 1 -> Blue
Reset / Pin 7 -> Looks black to me
BKGD (Background Debug) / Pin 19 -> Grey

Then Oscillator :
ECLK (Clock) / Pin 8 -> White
ECLK_Ref (Clock ground) / Pin 24 -> Orange

Once more, this is how my own R270 came from factory. Yours *can* be different.
Hi and thank's for the answer. For the VIN code there is the solution made by @thomm and confirmed by @Edoardo Marzi (I don't know if there is a button for tags, sorry guys) here on this topic but, to do it, I need to write on the Kombi the Mileage with the programmer. I will put now some pic of the colors of my R270 and some screenshot to show the software where I have to select the MCU.

1st, after you press MCU button

2nd, after you press 3K91D

My R270+ colors

Old 08-16-2021, 09:02 PM
AutoMutt
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Haven't been here in a while. Pretty cool to see how far this has come. @YulCmr - loved the github. Very concise with the info, great stuff! Was cool to see my name added in there too

Side note, I'm about to take the next step into a custom head unit for our cars. The first one has worked well so now its time to improve on it.
***Does anyone here have experience with pcb design and be willing to lend a few thoughts?***

There are a few things I'd like to integrate into this system to make the design more compact and functional, and hopefully easy for others to replicate. Building it all in sketchup first this time so I can try to avoid a few fitment headaches too.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:41 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
@redcode9 Based on your photo, wiring colors looks the same. Start counting from your blue wire number 1, then solder them on your Chrono kombi as I described above.

Speaking about VIN, simply use my 0 mileage file in my github, and write your VIN into it using a Hex editor (I use HxD myself for a lot of projects)
Then flash both files -> EEPROM & FLASH files.

Don't even bother with modifying the file you'll read from your chrono, there're something like 9 chances out of 10 that your first READ will corrupt eeprom data.

What I would do :
1. Solder wires accordingly to specs I gave you earlier (use pictures on my git to understand where to solder your wires -> GND, CLK, BKDG, etc)
2. Try to read using the first or second profile (CLR_3K91D) Once the R270 starts reading (Unlock security, read, etc).... You may face some issues of dump failing etc... retry. Once you got your first dump, don't touch your wiring anymore, go to step 3
3. Download the 2 files from the bottom of my github page -> "Flash" & "Eeprom with 0km on odometer"
4. Write your VIN in the eeprom file using infos you got in this thread
5. Using R270 software, write flash & eeprom files. Don't even try to read them if write succeeded ! There's a chance you'll corrupt memory again while reading.
6. Try to plug the chrono in your mini, and turn ignition in position 2. Gauges should set to 0 (except gas level). If a gauge is trying to go through the roof .... try to write files again.

Good luck mate

@AutoMutt -> Well, you did a lot of work before I even got into it, that's normal I mention you for your work. Thank you for helping community

Old 08-22-2021, 07:39 AM
nuk3s
1st Gear
Hey Everyone,

This thread has been great and is full of awesome information, but I'm still having issues - My DSC and TPMS light are on. I picked up a Chrono pack from a 06 non-S automatic. I was at a junk yard last weekend and was shocked to see it still sitting in the car, so a few bolts later I went home with a chrono pack.

I took the trace file off of my instrument cluster and off of the chrono pack and compared them line-by-line in NCS Dummy, modifying the chrono pack trace file to match the stock instrument pack (except the chrono specific options) and the flashing it back. Unfortunately I still have the TPMS light on and the DSC light on. No matter what I flash I cant seem to get the chrono to behave. I can set "ASC" to off in the trace but that seems to just disable the light, I drive with DSC off most of the time and would certainly like to have that switch and light to work again. I installed my stock instrument pack on and the lights went away so I dont think there is an underlying issue, but I didn't drive with them so I could be wrong.

So my questions
1) In NCS Expert can you get the DSC light working as it did on the stock instrument pack? If so how?
2) Will a steering angle sensor reset help this? What are the procedures for this?
3) If I conduct a firmware flash, will these issues be resolved?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:40 AM
cut7
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by nuk3s
Hey Everyone,

This thread has been great and is full of awesome information, but I'm still having issues - My DSC and TPMS light are on. I picked up a Chrono pack from a 06 non-S automatic. I was at a junk yard last weekend and was shocked to see it still sitting in the car, so a few bolts later I went home with a chrono pack.

I took the trace file off of my instrument cluster and off of the chrono pack and compared them line-by-line in NCS Dummy, modifying the chrono pack trace file to match the stock instrument pack (except the chrono specific options) and the flashing it back. Unfortunately I still have the TPMS light on and the DSC light on. No matter what I flash I cant seem to get the chrono to behave. I can set "ASC" to off in the trace but that seems to just disable the light, I drive with DSC off most of the time and would certainly like to have that switch and light to work again. I installed my stock instrument pack on and the lights went away so I dont think there is an underlying issue, but I didn't drive with them so I could be wrong.

So my questions
1) In NCS Expert can you get the DSC light working as it did on the stock instrument pack? If so how?
2) Will a steering angle sensor reset help this? What are the procedures for this?
3) If I conduct a firmware flash, will these issues be resolved?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
I used a Snap-on Modus to reset the steering angle sensor (& any other codes the Modus could find) All is well after that, & the DSC functions as designed.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:43 AM
nuk3s
1st Gear
Yeah, I think that might be my route. I dug deeper and the DSC module is asking for a recalibration of the steering angle sensor due to a VIN mismatch. I have an R270+ programmer so I will probably work on going down that route first since a scan tool that can reset the steering angle sensor is $170, although that is way cheaper than you Modus.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:47 AM
cut7
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by nuk3s
Yeah, I think that might be my route. I dug deeper and the DSC module is asking for a recalibration of the steering angle sensor due to a VIN mismatch. I have an R270+ programmer so I will probably work on going down that route first since a scan tool that can reset the steering angle sensor is $170, although that is way cheaper than you Modus.
I don't have a Modus (WAY too expensive!) I borrowed one from a friend. The entire procedure takes about 5 minutes.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:50 PM
nuk3s
1st Gear
I ended up flashing the firmware with the help of @YulCmr 's Github and posts here. I did have to use the FGNR_schreiben as opposed to the ZCS_schreiben command as mentioned by @Edoardo Marzi

Old 11-28-2021, 06:18 PM
LiL Stinker
2nd Gear
Read though this post about adding the Chrono to replace the speedo. I just brought an R-52 2005 S that has the Nav but I’d like to replace it with the Chrono . Is this a plug and play or will I need to do all these extra things to make everything work?

Old 11-28-2021, 06:23 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by LiL Stinker
Read though this post about adding the Chrono to replace the speedo. I just brought an R-52 2005 S that has the Nav but I’d like to replace it with the Chrono . Is this a plug and play or will I need to do all these extra things to make everything work?
It's not plug & play... you will need to know all the information stored in the navigation system and then recode the Chrono pack to match

Bryan

Quick Reply: R50/53 Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)