R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 12:11 PM
ACGOG
2nd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)

There seems to be a lot of misinformation or lack of information when it comes to retrofitting a Chrono Pack on an R53 that didn't have one originally. I wanted to put together a consolidated thread of all of the information that I've found to hopefully shed some light on the situation, and to help anyone who might stumble across this in the future.

If you have anything to add, please let me know, but this is what I've found so far:
  1. No matter what, when you install a Chrono Pack, you will get the miles associated with the previous car, whether it's more or less. This is stored in the dash unit, not in the gauges on the steering wheel. This can be fixed by Mini, and someone who knows how to use NCS-Expert can fix it as well.
  2. More than likely, your DSC and TPMS lights will be on. Resetting your TPMS will not work. This can be fixed by Mini, and can also be fixed by re-calibrating the Steering Angle Sensor via NCS-Expert or the steps outlined here.
  3. You will have better luck installing a pre-facelift Chrono Pack into a pre-facelift car and vice-versa. There are some wonky things that can happen when you don't. This has something to do with the ECU. This seems to be debated as to whether or not Mini can fix a pre-facelift with a post-facelift Chrono Pack, but post-facelift should be plug and play with either one. If you put a post-face Chrono on a pre-face R53, the lights in the dashboard will no longer correspond with their representative functions on the car (this is due to post-face having a different cluster design). This can be fixed with NCS-Expert by telling the KOMBI-module that the clocks fitted to the steering wheel are a single-screen unit.
  4. The oil temp/pressure gauges will more than likely not work in a pre-facelift R53. Mini can potentially fix this. Installing a post-facelift ECU can also fix this. However, the information is based off of the computer, not off of actual sensors so the information is just an estimate. It has been debated whether or not a post-facelift Chrono pack's oil gauges will work at all in a pre-facelift Mini.
  5. You can replace either the NAV unit or the standard speedometer. Previous points apply depending on post/pre-facelift.
  6. Standard fee for Mini fixing the aforementioned issues will cost about $200.
  7. If you buy the Chrono Pack new and install it, it will take your cars VIN and ODO.

The following 4 users liked this post by ACGOG:
bufnita (01-06-2022), bump32 (04-08-2022), Chamberlin1 (10-09-2020), Native Texan (05-21-2023)
Old 12-10-2019, 01:07 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
Here are my findings when I installed this Chrono-pack into my '06 R52 JCW earlier this year

1) The mileage on the cars odometer will change to read the new center dash cluster's mileage, I went from 108,000+ down to 84,694 miles
2) My TPS or flat tire monitor light is always on now, I can not turn it off with the reset procedure
3) My DSC light is on all the time as well, throws a code saying VIN is different between old & new instrument cluster
4) Also have other codes in the speedometer cluster, and the steering angle modules because of VIN difference's, I cannot clear the codes at all
5) My back up warning system, or PDC system does not work anymore
6) I don't think the "Check gas cap" light will function either, I drove around for a while with the gas cap loose, light never came on
7) I had to get another dash bezel with the chrome rings because the NAV system takes a different bezel
8) All gauges in the Chrono Pack do work when I plugged the instrument cluster into my car. All the dash lights work and dim as they should.

I do have the computer program and cable now to go in and re-program the Chrono unit to match the original NAV system that came with the car....only the mileage will not be changed. I just need time to start back on this project

Bryan

The following users liked this post:
mountainhorse (11-30-2020)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:12 PM
flyingart
1st Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
@A383Wing
The VIN in KOMBI is checkt by BC1.
If there are differenes, you`ll get a fault message.
You have to flash the VIN an Mileange by changing Clusters

Old 12-12-2019, 06:44 PM
mildensteve
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ACGOG
Standard fee for Mini fixing the aforementioned issues will cost about $200
Ok, gotta ask. Who do you know that can reprogram the VIN, mileage, make all the bad lights go away and all the supposed-to functions work for $200? I am sitting on a chrono pac set waiting for someone who REALLY can do it. In today's world of hacks and identity theft this shouldn't be that hard... for someone else other than me.

The following users liked this post:
robj (03-22-2020)
Old 12-12-2019, 06:59 PM
ACGOG
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mildensteve
Ok, gotta ask. Who do you know that can reprogram the VIN, mileage, make all the bad lights go away and all the supposed-to functions work for $200? I am sitting on a chrono pac set waiting for someone who REALLY can do it. In today's world of hacks and identity theft this shouldn't be that hard... for someone else other than me.
I have an appointment on Monday morning so I'll update you then.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:09 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
I picked up the computer program and cable a few weeks ago. I also have a Chrono PAC sitting here waiting to go in my '06 R52 JCW. I just need to get going on this project

The computer program was $50 from Germany, the cable set was $69 from overseas also.

The gentleman who sold me the program said it's all written in English, and very easy to use. I told him what I was doing, taking out the NAV system and putting in the Chrono PAC...he told me that this CD with the program on it will make it work like OE

Bryan

Old 12-12-2019, 09:33 PM
flyingart
1st Gear
@A383Wing
Hi Bryan,

sounds interesting. What kind of program and cable it is?
Would you be so kind and tell it to me? PM?
i´m trying actual to find a solution. But in the cluster aren´t any Flash´s to find.
So at the moment, it´s a secret where the data´s are stored in Cluster.

Regards
Dominik

Old 12-13-2019, 04:10 AM
mildensteve
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by A383Wing
I picked up the computer program and cable a few weeks ago. I also have a Chrono PAC sitting here waiting to go in my '06 R52 JCW. I just need to get going on this project
The computer program was $50 from Germany, the cable set was $69 from overseas also.
The gentleman who sold me the program said it's all written in English, and very easy to use. I told him what I was doing, taking out the NAV system and putting in the Chrono PAC...he told me that this CD with the program on it will make it work like OE
Bryan
Thanks Bryan. If you get it to work you will be our hero. Otherwise... no pressure.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:20 AM
flyingart
1st Gear
One step closer.
The Datas are stored in MINI not like on BMW in a separate EEPROM. They were stored direct in Chip. And this Chip is secured. At the moment I only found one tool that is able to read and write without fault. 2900$ + Adapters for connection. 🤮

The bad guy 😡

Old 12-13-2019, 10:11 AM
ACGOG
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by flyingart
One step closer.
The Datas are stored in MINI not like on BMW in a separate EEPROM. They were stored direct in Chip. And this Chip is secured. At the moment I only found one tool that is able to read and write without fault. 2900$ + Adapters for connection. 🤮

The bad guy 😡
Yeah, one of the reasons I'm happy to pay Mini the $200 if they can get it working lol

Old 12-13-2019, 04:28 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
1: my understanding is the kombi has a write once eprom chip for the vin, the dealer cannot get around this, neither can ncsexpert. I searched a bit and never found anyone that could erase the vin so ista-p could program it as a new module
2: if your new kombi had different options (dsc vs asc) you need to address this in ncsexpert, dump the old module, and then dump new module and make sure the options are setup the same, then use ista-d to reset the steering angle

Old 12-14-2019, 09:02 AM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
@A383Wing
Hi Bryan,

sounds interesting. What kind of program and cable it is?
Would you be so kind and tell it to me? PM?
i´m trying actual to find a solution. But in the cluster aren´t any Flash´s to find.
So at the moment, it´s a secret where the data´s are stored in Cluster.

Regards
Dominik
Originally Posted by mildensteve
Thanks Bryan. If you get it to work you will be our hero. Otherwise... no pressure.
Just so everyone's clear:

I'm first in line once Bryan gets this sorted out. I live 20 minutes away and have been waiting impatiently for almost a year. 😁😁😁

Old 12-14-2019, 11:07 AM
ACGOG
2nd Gear
Hahaha, I guess I'll jump in line too in case the dealer doesn't work out. Maybe I can get then to slip a JCW tune in there if it doesn't so it wasn't a complete waste of money lol.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:08 AM
ACGOG
2nd Gear
Alright, so I'm at the dealer and am now a little concerned. The Service Tech (I think just responsible for check-ins) didn't seem to know what I was talking about. When I explained the TPMS and DSC lights, the oil temp/pressure not working, and the ODO being off he said, "Well that's a lot more than just a reprogram." Which is fine, but I'm wondering if the actual Technician is in the same boat knowledge wise?

I understand that this is probably a unique situation and one he hasn't seen before but it doesn't inspire confidence. I mentioned no disrespect to the actual Techs, but I had been reading up on this stuff for weeks now and was happy to help answer questions, talk about the install, etc. I also brought in the original speedo and tach (explained that the accurate miles were stored in the dash), as well as the original JCW gauge cluster that showed battery and oil temp just in case. Hopefully they'll take me up on it or else this is most definitely $200 down the drain (or I mean, I guess hopefully all the lights will be off ).

I'll update when they're done.

Edit: Well, was just told that they do the majority of their programming/coding through the stereo () and since I have an aftermarket stereo that drastically reduces the chances of success.

Last edited by ACGOG; 12-16-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:57 AM
ACGOG
2nd Gear
Welp, the Mini dealership was able to remove the TPMS and DSC lights - and that was it. They weren't able to get the oil temp/pressure gauges working. Originally the tech came out and said they were able to fix the ODO but when I went to go pick it up... "By the way, we weren't able to fix the ODO but your light isn't on so you're good."

I guess I'll also be waiting in line to see if I can get the ODO fixed as well. I'll also keep an eye out for someone who's possibly a little more knowledgeable than the Techs here since I've been told it's possible to get a lot of that fixed. I may also just buy the stupid $30 cable, download NCSExpert and take a whack at it myself. Only thing I have to lose is my $200, which I've already lost .

Old 12-16-2019, 12:04 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
the oil temp/pressure is fake anyway, it's a calculation in no way connected to reality. I would imagine the pre-facelift ECU does not have the tables, so the kombi wont see the data no matter what you do.

you can program modules without the radio with the dealer software, I've done it, and it sounds like they did it too, and it's not "through the stereo"

Old 12-16-2019, 12:31 PM
ACGOG
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MrBlah
the oil temp/pressure is fake anyway, it's a calculation in no way connected to reality. I would imagine the pre-facelift ECU does not have the tables, so the kombi wont see the data no matter what you do.

you can program modules without the radio with the dealer software, I've done it, and it sounds like they did it too, and it's not "through the stereo"
Yeah, I think it was just a bullsh*t excuse so that the work they didn't do would have an explanation behind it.

I threw my old tach and speedo into my car (the extra 20k miles was really seriously bothering me for some reason) and will keep these dudes on standby until someone finds a solution (if there ever is one).

Old 12-17-2019, 08:15 PM
AutoMutt
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
One step closer.

The bad guy 😡

This is from the back of a Nav unit. I could almost swear a few months ago when I was looking I saw a site where someone took the chip from their BCM1 and soldered it to a salvaged module. Wonder if that's something that could apply to these units as well. Not sure if this helps, but pic of back of nav unit attached here.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:19 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by AutoMutt
This is from the back of a Nav unit. I could almost swear a few months ago when I was looking I saw a site where someone took the chip from their BCM1 and soldered it to a salvaged module. Wonder if that's something that could apply to these units as well. Not sure if this helps, but pic of back of nav unit attached here.

Which chip? I'll do 20 pin but not those big ones. With BMW you remove a chip and install a new one then use ista p and program it as a new module

Old 12-18-2019, 12:39 PM
AutoMutt
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBlah
Which chip? I'll do 20 pin but not those big ones. With BMW you remove a chip and install a new one then use ista p and program it as a new module
Pretty sure its that big 112 pin MCU. Not so sure my soldering skills are up for that challenge either! Haven't had a chance to do much digging. A quick scan in our forums doesn't reveal much, but the bimmer forums do bring up some info.

[EDIT]

Here is the data sheet for the chip - https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MC9S12C128V1.pdf

and here are some interesting vids of the chip being hooked up, read, and written:

I think I saw a post where @Mini-Moi figured this out a few years ago with the R260S

A few guys over on the BMW side with the same chips seem to have de-soldered their originals and put them in replacement kombis with success.

Last edited by AutoMutt; 12-18-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:41 PM
ACGOG
2nd Gear
A few guys over on the BMW side with the same chips seem to have de-soldered their originals and put them in replacement kombis with success.
I wonder, where would you find someone who's really good at soldering chips? Like a computer repair shop or something?

It'd be neat to use the chrono pack I got but that extra 20k miles is just a non-starter for me.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:28 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Pre-facelift Chrono? I thought the Chrono came out in '05? Did it come out in late '04?
Appreciate you sharing the info. Will modern day cell phones, the Nav isn't much better than having a sextant up there.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:03 AM
ACGOG
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Pre-facelift Chrono? I thought the Chrono came out in '05? Did it come out in late '04?
Appreciate you sharing the info. Will modern day cell phones, the Nav isn't much better than having a sextant up there.
I'm not too sure to be honest; maybe over in the UK they had them. I know that another group I'm a part of, it seems to be common knowledge that there are both pre and post facelift Chrono's.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:10 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
you could get pre-facelift nav with 2 gauges that's what I retro fit into my 2005 single gauge and stock speedo, be careful with the asc settings when mixing facelift and pre, they are different

then I removed the nav and stuck a Pi screen in its' place, runs my racecapture data logger

Old 12-22-2019, 04:13 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Pretty sure its that big 112 pin MCU. Not so sure my soldering skills are up for that challenge either! Haven't had a chance to do much digging. A quick scan in our forums doesn't reveal much, but the bimmer forums do bring up some info.

[EDIT]

Here is the data sheet for the chip - https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MC9S12C128V1.pdf
I have a hot air rework station, if this is the chip it's only 15 $ and looks easy enough to reflow (lot easier than BGA), any way to be sure it's this chip?

Quick Reply: R50/53 Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)