R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 03:34 PM
Kitchenboy
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Even that explanation confuses me. I just want to pay someone to do whatever needs to be done so I can just install it all in the car and have no idiot lights on that shouldn't be. Seems like from what I've read only one person has said they found someone who can even reset the mileage to match your existing mileage.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:00 AM
Warwick Dean
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kitchenboy
Even that explanation confuses me. I just want to pay someone to do whatever needs to be done so I can just install it all in the car and have no idiot lights on that shouldn't be. Seems like from what I've read only one person has said they found someone who can even reset the mileage to match your existing mileage.
I've managed to reset mileage on two units by two different methods now so I think you will find someone capable for sure. On these units the VIN has been changed and I've default coded them on bench so they just plug in and are good to go.

One thing worth mentioning though is that the oil gauges will not work on a chrono correctly unless you have a facelift ECU (maybee there is a very early Chrono version that doesn't require a facelift ECU but I'm yet to confirm this). I forget to mention this as a facelift ECU was one of the first things I installed on my motor as I've got a full tuning pack for the 2006on type ECU.

I'm not sure if this is the right area for business but I'm in Derbyshire, England. Is there not a part of the forum where you could perhaps post a request for services along with your location?

Old 04-03-2020, 11:29 AM
keimanr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some update from my project, which entertains me well in this Quarantine time

After I corrupted my Chrono dash flash by reading it with "wrong" COM port settings for my R270 programmer, I tried various combinations of eeprom and flash files and came to following:

EEPROM and FLASH files MUST be a matching Pair! i.e. from same dash/Chrono/Nav KOMBI unit. One can not use flash from a donor unit and EEPROM from own unit, for example (except maybe in rare cases with 2 very identical units)

Thanks to the files which Warwick Dean sent me (a matching pair, with moded EEPROM file - edited to match my car's VIN and mileage) I have successfully writen them to my donor Chrono cluster and now have fully working set.
No errors, no problems, DSC and everything is working. Of course, needed to program my CKM (Car and Keys Memory) again, but I have not even coded it to match my configuration (regional, language settings, etc.) as the donor flash one is similar and everything is working as supposed.

One more mod that would be needed if somebody is doing this to a prefacelift car: as such does not have wiring for brake pad wear sensor, and the Chrono cluster has such lamp and it would light up, of course, - it is needed to connect pin.17 of the big black 26pin connector to ground. I did this on the PCB itself. It is very easy and convenient this way and as you have soldering iron near you for the programmer wires anyway... Just need to make a small bridge at the obvious corresponding place near pin17.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:50 AM
keimanr
1st Gear
[QUOTE=One thing worth mentioning though is that the oil gauges will not work on a chrono correctly unless you have a facelift ECU (maybee there is a very early Chrono version that doesn't require a facelift ECU but I'm yet to confirm this). I forget to mention this as a facelift ECU was one of the first things I installed on my motor as I've got a full tuning pack for the 2006on type ECU.
[/QUOTE]

One thing to correct on my previous post: when I say that everything on my donor Chrono works now perfectly, I mean everything except the oil temp and pressure gauges. In prefacelift models there are no algorithms/maps in the DME, i.e. it does not broadcast "values" for oil temp and oil pressure over the CAN. The Chrono is there waiting for such values, but there are 2 ways to go - the easier to change to postfacelift DME or - to dedicate an arduino with attached real analog sensors and program it to broadcast to the car's CAN. I have no idea how realistic the second option is , but have read in another forum for such project and it worked on the bench (with a Crono Kombi)! the guy however had not yet found an appropriate places to mount the sensors in the engine, at the time I was reading this thread.

Warwick Dean - please share your experience with changing to post facelift DME - that is my next step.
Is in theory possible to write a postfacelift flash to my DME via OBD2 with Galleto4 or KESS cable? and immo off the flash beforehand?

Old 04-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Warwick Dean
1st Gear
Originally Posted by keimanr
Warwick Dean - please share your experience with changing to post facelift DME - that is my next step.
Is in theory possible to write a postfacelift flash to my DME via OBD2 with Galleto4 or KESS cable? and immo off the flash beforehand?
That's not possible as the later model EMS (MS5150) has a different hardware board, there is however a very early facelift era that still had the old EMS2K which is compatible but not via OBD. You'd need boot mode for that sort of job, you could however edit the vehicles own flash data with data from a later file in most areas but it's a time consuming job. I think Galletto4 can do boot mode on it, not sure about the KESS but both tools will have OBD function for sure

Old 04-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Warwick Dean
1st Gear
Originally Posted by keimanr
:

Thanks to the files which Warwick Dean sent me (a matching pair, with moded EEPROM file - edited to match my car's VIN and mileage)
With pleasure mate, atleast we proved your theory about the EEPROM and FLASH compatibility 😊

The following users liked this post:
r_torres (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:27 PM
r_torres
Neutral
So, are you guys figure out how to make it work? I have my Chrono package waiting for an answer. who do I need to send the unit to play with it? Lol

Old 04-27-2020, 09:34 AM
AutoMutt
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks like you guys have made some good progress figuring this out. Couple quick updates I've found in my situation that might apply to someone else making this switch. Remember, I am going FROM chrono pack (with center gauges) TO navigation in center (which still requires chrono coding).

In one of my last posts I mentioned that my HW wasn't lining up. HW for chrono gauges is 30, for nav its 08. Even after I re-coded my zsc, the HW number was still displaying as my original 30. When I was in INPA, I could see all the data was there, but it was not showing up because it was trying to send it to hardware I didn't have installed. Even through this, there weren't any error codes since the km and vin matched. I'm thinking when I was trying to correct the flash, I flashed the data from my original chrono file. At first I didn't think this was a big deal, I could change in INPA, NCS, etc. This was not the case as no matter what I tried, I could not change the HW. Fortunately since I have saved files from every unit I was testing this on with some great labeling (very important as I mentioned in my earlier post), I found one that had the correct HW/SW on it that matched my car. I flashed that to my replacement unit (the 128kb file) using Flash Recovery in Rosfar. Now, everything on the car has been tested and works exactly as it should.

I saw keimanr post about using Flash and eeprom from the same unit. I did not run into this issue. But, it could be because I bought another unit that was almost exactly the same as mine with the HW and MOD being the only difference. So they were very similar (as keimanr mentioned being the exception). So, that being said, if you were to be making big changes, you'd want Flash and eeprom from the same unit, and then to only change the KM and the VIN.

IN R260 ROSFAR
If you are only interested in changing the MI and VIN. You could open ROSFAR and read (as shown in earlier post). From there, write your new desired KM to match your vehicle from the main display. Then, open the Memory Editor in Rosfar. In a separate window, use a hex editor to open your original 2kb eeprom file. Then copy everything from line 600 to 670 into the Rosfar Memory Editor. These 128 values are your VIN information. Technically you could do this with the KM as well at the same time you are doing the VIN, that info is stored in blocks 400 to 470.

Also, I didn't know how to change ZCS originally, and had a time trying to figure it out. Some of it was mentioned earlier in the thread in a roundabout way but I was too dumb to know what to do. No I figured it out I'll put the steps I did below and maybe it can help you. Remember though, I did NOT add chrono to my car. If you are retrofitting a chrono install your process will be different. These steps would best apply to someone swapping from the center chrono gauge to navigation (like myself) or vice versa since our cars already will have been coded for this.

- Plug cable into OBD2 port and connect
- Open NCS Expert
- Load Revtor profile
- Press F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
- Press F3 (VIN/FA f. ECU)
- Choose: Chasis R50 (for R50/R52/R53)
- Choose: EWS (To get current data from your auto)
- Now you will see the GM/SA/VN. Take a pic or write this down.
- Press F3 (VIN/FA f. ECU)
- Choose: Chasis R50 (for R50/R52/R53)
- Choose: KMB (To get data from replacement kombi, You will notice the GM/SA/VN is different)
- Press F1 (Enter ZCS)
- Enter the data you took a pic of or wrote down from earlier step
- Press F6 (Back)
- Press F4 (Process ECU ***do NOT press Process Car***)
- Choose: KMB
- Press F2 (Change Job)
- Choose: ZCS-SCHREIBEN (This means ZCS_WRITE)
- Press F3 (Execute Job)
- Close NCS Expert

To confirm:
- Open INPA
- Choose R50
- In the pop-up, select: Body -> Instrument Pack
- Press F2 (Ident) From here you can confirm that the correct HW is active
- Press F3 (Code) From here you can confirm your VIN, KM, and ZCS (Central Code)... GM - Basic Features / SA - Particular Equipment / VN - Version Information

Here's some info on GM/SA/VN

I'm hoping I get the chance to try a chrono pack retrofit one day. If it happens I'll post back in here if I don't see someone else post info before then. I was originally thinking I'd do a how-to on the process, but looking back over this thread I'm pretty sure anyone wanting to try this has all the info they'd need. Lots of info here that has never made it to the site before.

Now that I've confirmed this is all working I'll be moving on to my custom head unit project if anyone is interested. Will have some updates posted this weekend - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lity-help.html

Last edited by AutoMutt; 04-27-2020 at 09:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AutoMutt:
COSilverMini (07-22-2020), keimanr (05-02-2020), YulCmr (08-01-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 11:03 AM
sssdu01
Neutral
Originally Posted by Warwick Dean
With pleasure mate, atleast we proved your theory about the EEPROM and FLASH compatibility 😊
Warwick Dean I am also in the UK so are you doing this on a commercial basis ??

Old 05-22-2020, 12:59 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Received 323 Likes on 224 Posts
Well thanks to a good friend. I now have chrono package on my 04 R50. Everything works. Miles an vin are correct. Only issue is my pre lift ecu won't allow the oil pressure an temp to work. Getting a post facelift ecu programmed to correct.

video link attached below.

Nervos (07-31-2022)
Old 05-22-2020, 01:12 PM
cut7
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by shrevemini
Well thanks to a good friend. I now have chrono package on my 04 R50. Everything works. Miles an vin are correct. Only issue is my pre lift ecu won't allow the oil pressure an temp to work. Getting a post facelift ecu programmed to correct.

video link attached below.
https://youtu.be/M2nVDS4vwpk
More details on how you got the VIN & mileage correct, please. I put a chronopack in my 05 MCS, replacing a NAV unit, & everything worked from the get go except the mileage & VIN. I did have to reset my steering wheel sensor (2 minutes work with a Snap-On Modis).

My oil pressure & temp work, but as been noted previously, it's just an estimation made by the ECU. I was thinking about getting pressure & temperature transducers (sending units) & running the oil gauges analog. Methinks that would be easier han trying to insert data on to the CAN bus, & then have the chronopack read it.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:31 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
He had to go in an reprogram the kombi on the center gauge for it to have the correct vin. Then he changed the miles an vin. He is in england an it takes a while to get it there an returned. So I had to figure out how many miles I would put on car until I got back. I was within 45 miles of my mark. As long as you are within 120 you will not get an error. I can ask him if he will program for you if you like .

Last edited by shrevemini; 05-22-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:22 PM
cut7
3rd Gear
He had to go in an reprogram the kombi on the center gauge for it to have the correct vin. Then he closed to the miles an vin. He is in england an it takes a while to get it there an returned. So I had to figure out how many miles I would put on car until I got back. I was within 45 miles of my mark. As long as you are within 120 you will not get an error. I can ask him if he will program for you if you like .
Yes please. Or if he wants to post how-to instructions, I'm sure many here would appreciate that. But I have no problem paying for quality service.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:13 AM
keimanr
1st Gear

https://youtu.be/M2nVDS4vwpk
Hey there,
Let us know details on the ECU swap.
I have started the same thing, but I have no time recently and I am not sure which way to go: getting post facelift ECU+EWS and dealing with the VIN mismatch of the other modules or flashing post facelift ECU with my VIN (no idea how?)
BR

Old 05-23-2020, 09:49 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
First of all you will need to have the kombi modified on you chrono center gauge. The miles an vin can be set to your car. Then it needs to be coded.
once this is done it will work on your mini. If you have a pre facelift ECU the oil pressure an temp will not work. But everything else will be correct.
If you get a post lift ECU will will need to get it reprogrammed to your vin then remapping will have to be done depending on if you have a r50 or r53 an any mods. The reprogrammed ecu will be set to virgin mode. So there is not an issue with EWS.
if you go to Facebook an look for Northern lights SMDS they can help out. There are others on the English parts sales than have friends that can do it aswell.
I have a friend do all this for me in the UK. But at this time he is slammed with work an not taking anymore orders at this time.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:34 AM
Warwick Dean
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sssdu01
Warwick Dean I am also in the UK so are you doing this on a commercial basis ??
I am doing this just as a hobby from time to time unfortunately, if there's no rush I can do the job but turn around time may not be so great for you

Old 06-27-2020, 09:14 PM
cut7
3rd Gear
Has anyone given any thought to my idea of installing a temp/pressure transducer & running the oil gauges directly off them? Even if the gauges require a PWM input to move the needle, that is easily done. This would accomplish two things:
1) It would make the gauges work for all the pre-facelift guys, &
2) It would give us some real usable data! Not guesstimates like the factory ECU does.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:06 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
This guy seems to have worked out a way using an external canbus module and real temp sensors.

Last edited by RB-MINI; 06-28-2020 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:47 PM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@AutoMutt how confident are you with the 2 binary copies : 0x400 to 470 and 0x600 to 670 ? What other infos are in theses blocks ? Because I can't imagine mileage takes 0x70 Bytes

I'm about to do the exact opposite of what you did, seems quite simple (Nav to Chrono)

Thanks for your work ! That's actually very clear for me now !

Old 08-02-2020, 01:32 AM
thomm
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there is a much simpler solution.
last week I built in a used chrono counter.
if you work with a suitable external programmer (such as rosfar) you can simply set the kilometers to 0.
then build in and code with ncsexpert in expert mode.
works really smoothly.

cut7 (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 05:47 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
@thomm and how did you code your VIN ?

Thanks

Old 08-02-2020, 06:58 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Well I been driving the my new updated post ecu. Works great. All gauges are functional. Just had to do a small change to get cruise working again. I love the chrono setup so much better than the giant speedo. I did take the time to do a little color change.

As you can see the gauges are all working

LiL Stinker (11-28-2021)
Old 08-02-2020, 07:08 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Mmmm... but AFAIK if you don't have matching VIN your DSC is disabled. I don't how yours can be working.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:17 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
If you are asking me. My vin an miles are matched.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:20 AM
thomm
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the mileage is less than 200km, ncs expert overwrite the old vin and take the mileage out of your bc1rd module

Quick Reply: R50/53 Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)