R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 08:04 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you overwrite with NCS expert ? Only with ZCS coding like AutoMutt said ? :Update ZCS :
  • Plug cable into OBD2 port and connect
  • Open NCS Expert
  • Load Revtor profile
  • Press F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
  • Press F3 (VIN/FA f. ECU)
  • Choose: Chasis R50 (for R50/R52/R53)
  • Choose: EWS (To get current data from your auto)
  • Now you will see the GM/SA/VN. Take a pic or write this down.
  • Press F3 (VIN/FA f. ECU)
  • Choose: Chasis R50 (for R50/R52/R53)
  • Choose: KMB (To get data from replacement kombi, You will notice the GM/SA/VN is different)
  • Press F1 (Enter ZCS)
  • Enter the data you took a pic of or wrote down from earlier step
  • Press F6 (Back)
  • Press F4 (Process ECU do NOT press Process Car)
  • Choose: KMB
  • Press F2 (Change Job)
  • Choose: ZCS-SCHREIBEN (This means ZCS_WRITE)
  • Press F3 (Execute Job)
  • Close NCS Expert
Thanks @thomm

Old 08-02-2020, 09:37 AM
thomm
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your zcs is the info of your car, like options, car model, transmission... if you only write the zcs to your combi, it’s change nothing.
You must read your zcs from your bcm, change the zcs-key so the software knows there is a chrono on board.
Then you must code the combi in expert mode, reftor profile is more for manual changes.
For me it’s difficult to explain, I’m from Belgium, my native language is Dutch.
If you send me your oem zcs, I can calculate a new one with the chrono option code

Old 08-02-2020, 09:57 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Owww so sad, I saw "Belgium" I thought "French speaking" ... I'm from France, would have been really simple

I've noted down something about "HW for chrono gauges is 30, for nav its 08."

Is it what your are talking about ?

Old 08-02-2020, 10:00 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Coding the combi with NCS Expert is alright, I've done plenty of coding on my E46 and some on the Mini. But I never touched to the ZCS so I'm quite lost here.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:43 AM
thomm
1st Gear
Unfortunately I speak Dutch and German, but no French. Belgium is a weird country...
your sw version has nothing to do with this.
So you have a working installation of ncs expert? I can give you a hand with teamviewer if you want it. just reset the mileage to 0.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:47 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Should be doable, that's actually kind

I'm still waiting for the programmer. Do you have the addr+length of the mileage in eeprom ? I can come back to you when I'm ready to plug the Kombi in the car.

@thomm

Old 08-02-2020, 11:36 AM
thomm
1st Gear
Originally Posted by YulCmr
Should be doable, that's actually kind

I'm still waiting for the programmer. Do you have the addr+length of the mileage in eeprom ? I can come back to you when I'm ready to plug the Kombi in the car.

@thomm
please do not use a r270 (clone) programmer, it’s not stable enough for this eeprom.
with a Rosfar, the mileage is displayed and you can change this in whatever you want

Old 08-02-2020, 12:13 PM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Hum ... a bit late I already ordered a R270 chinese copy. I'll dump my eeprom multiple time and compare files to be sure I got the original binary from my chronopack.
As far as I remember ... ZCS is stored in 2 or more units right ? I know that I need to read my ZCS from a short list of module in NCS Expert before being able to select which module I want to read.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:37 PM
cut7
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by shrevemini
Well I been driving the my new updated post ecu. Works great. All gauges are functional. Just had to do a small change to get cruise working again. I love the chrono setup so much better than the giant speedo. I did take the time to do a little color change.

As you can see the gauges are all working
Love the color change! (I hate the red gauges, they're very difficult for me to read.) Post a picture of the gauges at night, please.

How long did it take for you to do the color change? What LEDs did you use? Where did you get them? I was think about white backlight with blue needles. I have 2 other cars with (Ford & Lexus) with that combination, & I find it MUCH easier to read the gauges day or night; especially the odometer/clock LCD!

Old 08-02-2020, 12:48 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Received 323 Likes on 224 Posts
I changed the needles on the twin gauges from green to white leds. Look so much better.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:16 PM
cut7
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by shrevemini
I changed the needles on the twin gauges from green to white leds. Look so much better.

Did you scape the paint off of the backside of the needles? Meaning what color are the needles when the lights are off?

Old 08-02-2020, 07:38 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Well I changed the led on the needles to green orginally. As you can see it made the needles washed out. So I changed them to white. Now they look orange. I look much better.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:40 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Did not scrap paint off. They look normal in the day.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:29 AM
AutoMutt
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
@YulCmr I'm very confident, I tried on multiple units.

I am interested in @thomm 's solution though. He mentioned when I was doing mine, but I didn't understand ZCS and the coding at the time. I hope you guys post status updates on the process here so we can follow along.

@shrevemini - great job on the color change! How long did you take you to change out all those little leds? I was thinking about doing white. of course I'd call it something like "Creamy Icemelt White" to make it sound more luxurious once done

Old 08-03-2020, 06:59 AM
cut7
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AutoMutt
@YulCmr I'm very confident, I tried on multiple units.

I am interested in @thomm 's solution though. He mentioned when I was doing mine, but I didn't understand ZCS and the coding at the time. I hope you guys post status updates on the process here so we can follow along.

@shrevemini - great job on the color change! How long did you take you to change out all those little leds? I was thinking about doing white. of course I'd call it something like "Creamy Icemelt White" to make it sound more luxurious once done
Yes, let's keep this thread going. I want to load the correct mileage & VIN into my chronopack.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:39 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
I'll maybe try his method, don't know. If he can remotly mod and update my ZCS I can record the screen and try to formalize it in english but I'm not sure to fully understand what I'll do :p

What brings the ZCS update over your method @AutoMutt ? Yours seems to be working fine !

Old 08-08-2020, 06:24 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
@AutoMutt I successfully dumped the chronopack eeprom (dumped 3 times and compared to be sure). VIN area looks fine, but mileage looks .... weird....

Do you (or somebody) have seen this before ? (There's no mileage dump in the thread so I don't know what to expect, but this seems completely off)

Thanks guys !

Old 08-08-2020, 06:42 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Ok to answer myself about mileage, I just read again the thread, especially the #68 post talking about the mileage encoding "leading hexadecimal matrix". Developer myself but never used this kind of encoding. Very interesting !

Old 08-08-2020, 08:02 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Does someone have a FLASH dump of a chronopack ? I would be interested in looking at it, I don't know if what I've read is fine.

First block is 0xFF frrom 0x0000 to 0x6000
Then data,
Then 0xFF from 0x18000 to 0x1E000
Then data until the end of binary.

Can someone confirm this ?

(my chrono is HW30 SW23)

Old 08-09-2020, 08:06 PM
AutoMutt
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes hexadecimal. Your km data doesn't seem off to me - I'd have to check it though... Actually, you can quickly open in rosfar though to check it as well. I listed some directions in an earlier post.

Last edited by AutoMutt; 08-09-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:12 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Thanks @AutoMutt for your input

Old 08-16-2020, 02:21 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
.I've been able to reflash sw22 on my sw23 unit (as I highly suspect I've corrupted my flash)

VIN and Mileage have been coded. No errors related to DSC or TPMS and car runs fine. Fuel gauge is working fine BUT, when I turn on my indicators, TPMS light blinks with them, oil temp + water temp seem to indicate nothing (a random fixed value) and oil pressure increases over 5 bar when idling and slowly drops to 0 when driving aggressively.

Does anyone know what I need to do ? Does the chronopack needs to be enable in DME with NCS expert ?

Thanks guys !

Old 08-16-2020, 02:27 AM
thomm
1st Gear
Is your cluster coded correctly to the car? Is also your bcm recoded?
The easiest way is to code the whole car with the option code added to your zcs.
If the problem is still there after the car is coded, than you have a problem with your cluster dump

Old 08-16-2020, 02:34 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thomm
Is your cluster coded correctly to the car? Is also your bcm recoded?
The easiest way is to code the whole car with the option code added to your zcs.
If the problem is still there after the car is coded, than you have a problem with your cluster dump
I've used @AutoMutt method (took a picture of the zcs in my ews and corrected my kmb zcs) I've looked at BCM module coding but I can't find which parameter handle the kombi type installed... Do you have this information ?

Old 08-16-2020, 04:47 AM
YulCmr
1st Gear
Can someone help me ? VIN & Mileage coded in eeprom. No DSC light. Mileage matches fine when connecting chronopack in car (in replacement of NAV). Fuel gauge looks fine but Oil temp, water temp and Oil pressure don't work. Oil pressure tops over 5 bars. Indicators make the TPMS light blink.

Thanks guys !

(Red TPMS and seat belt turn off when starting the engine)

Quick Reply: R50/53 Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)