R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 01:47 AM
JasonJasonJason
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Checksum error

Originally Posted by AutoMutt
Quick update: Today I received the programmer and was able to give it a shot. I was able to read the mileage and write new mileage to the chip successfully.

Now that mileage is taken care of, I need to figure out the VIN. I can see part of the VIN, and if I chose, I could write over the data currently there. However, I can't see all of the VIN meaning I could write the wrong part and corrupt the chip, so I backed out. Will have to do some more research, but if anyone has info and changing the VIN, please let me know.

Speaking of VIN, I learned some interesting stuff about VIN numbers today. In the 17 digit code...

Digits 1-3 are the WMI
- 1 - Country of origin
- 2 - Region in country
- 3 - Division
(Digits 1-3 WMW is for MINI)

Digits 4-8 are vehicle attributes (the following applies to 1st Gen only afaik)
- 4 - ???? (Best I can tell Gen 1 gets an "R" Gen 2 got an "M")
- 5 - Series (For MINI, an "E" is hardtop S /// "C" is hardtop base /// "H" is convertible S /// "F" is convertible base)
- 6 - Body style (Seems like all MINI have a 3 here??)
- 7 - Body Style (US vehicles have a 3 and UK vehicles have a 2.... For LH/RH I'm thinking)
- 8 - ???? (Some have a 4 and some have a 5... no clue what this one is about either)

- 9 - Check digit / Security Code
- 10 - Year of vehicle
- 11 - Factory vehicle was made

Digits 12-17 serial / production line number of vehicle
- These start with a T (for the plant I think), followed by either an C, D, F, J, K, or L (not sure what for) Then a series of 5 numbers.

Some of that is probably inaccurate, but its what I could decipher today. I probably should have looked on the forum before wasting my time as I'm sure someone else has already done it!
But, here's a great little video explanation if you want to watch it yourself - https://youtu.be/PMLqPYKfazI
ksim error

I have purchased a mini r53 pre facelift.
Some bits were missing including the centre display. Non chrono to a euro mechanic who said he could match it all no problem. He broke the centre display. Gave him another.
he said it all worked. No obvious issues. Took it home and put inpa on it. Kombi checksum error.
took it back. He kept it for a few days. Can't fix it.

Can I used the 912 programmer to do this?
The board is different to above. But the chip is the same.
Any pointers?
Thanks
I have the car and a

Old 12-30-2022, 07:11 AM
ACGOG
2nd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonJasonJason
ksim error

I have purchased a mini r53 pre facelift.
Some bits were missing including the centre display. Non chrono to a euro mechanic who said he could match it all no problem. He broke the centre display. Gave him another.
he said it all worked. No obvious issues. Took it home and put inpa on it. Kombi checksum error.
took it back. He kept it for a few days. Can't fix it.

Can I used the 912 programmer to do this?
The board is different to above. But the chip is the same.
Any pointers?
Thanks
I have the car and a
Honestly man, I just don't think it's worth it at this point. Might be better to do the double-din/iPad replacement mod.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:41 AM
AutoMutt
2nd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Without the original center kombi I'm not sure how you get the VIN to add to the new one.

Old 04-13-2023, 08:41 AM
peterrakolcza
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test

test

Old 04-13-2023, 08:49 AM
peterrakolcza
Neutral
Hey guys!

I have a R53 with the sat nav installed. I don't use the sat nav at all, no need for it in 2023. I have bought an aftermarket center speedometer and changed the double gauges to a simple one. Everything is working except that I have the TPMS and the engine light always on. The TPMS was an issues with the sat nav also. I am guessing that the VIN numbers aren't matching... that's why (?). I don't know. The mileage isn't correct either, but that's obvious why.

My question is that how hard is it to change the VIN and mileage? I am a software engineer, so I am comfortable with tinkering and soldering. What tools and software I need? Furthermore, where can I get the original VIN number from?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Old 04-13-2023, 08:51 AM
peterrakolcza
Neutral
test

I thought going from sat nav to speedometer is the easy way and switching to the sat nav is the hard task. Or am I missing something?

Last edited by peterrakolcza; 04-13-2023 at 08:52 AM. Reason: New here
Old 04-13-2023, 12:42 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
edit to another reply

Last edited by A383Wing; 04-13-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2023, 12:51 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by peterrakolcza
Hey guys!

I have a R53 with the sat nav installed. I don't use the sat nav at all, no need for it in 2023. I have bought an aftermarket center speedometer and changed the double gauges to a simple one. Everything is working except that I have the TPMS and the engine light always on. The TPMS was an issues with the sat nav also. I am guessing that the VIN numbers aren't matching... that's why (?). I don't know. The mileage isn't correct either, but that's obvious why.

My question is that how hard is it to change the VIN and mileage? I am a software engineer, so I am comfortable with tinkering and soldering. What tools and software I need? Furthermore, where can I get the original VIN number from?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Most all of the cars info is stored in the center pod in the dash. Whether it's just the standard speedometer, the Chrono Pak, or the Navigation system. They are VIN specific. You cannot just put another "dial" in the center without doing some coding afterwards. Some here have figured it out, most have not. VIN will have to be changed, along with the mileage, and also the center pod must match all the options that you have on the car, otherwise some of your cars options will not work. I tried to put a Chrono Pak in place of my Navigation system, didn't work, many lights were on that I could not turn off, codes were stored that I could not erase. I finally gave up and put my Navigation system back in and got a 2015 set of updated discs for the unit.

Bryan

From my original reply #2 at the beginning of this thread

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are my findings when I installed this Chrono-pack into my '06 R52 JCW earlier this year

1) The mileage on the cars odometer will change to read the new center dash cluster's mileage, I went from 108,000+ down to 84,694 miles
2) My TPS or flat tire monitor light is always on now, I can not turn it off with the reset procedure (was never on before)
3) My DSC light is on all the time as well, throws a code saying VIN is different between old & new instrument cluster
4) Also have other codes in the speedometer cluster, and the steering angle modules because of VIN difference's, I cannot clear the codes at all
5) My back up warning system, or PDC system does not work anymore
6) I don't think the "Check gas cap" light will function either, I drove around for a while with the gas cap loose, light never came on
7) I had to get another dash bezel with the chrome rings because the NAV system takes a different bezel
8) All gauges in the Chrono Pack do work when I plugged the instrument cluster into my car. All the dash lights work and dim as they should.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:53 PM
peterrakolcza
Neutral
Originally Posted by A383Wing
Most all of the cars info is stored in the center pod in the dash. Whether it's just the standard speedometer, the Chrono Pak, or the Navigation system. They are VIN specific. You cannot just put another "dial" in the center without doing some coding afterwards. Some here have figured it out, most have not. VIN will have to be changed, along with the mileage, and also the center pod must match all the options that you have on the car, otherwise some of your cars options will not work. I tried to put a Chrono Pak in place of my Navigation system, didn't work, many lights were on that I could not turn off, codes were stored that I could not erase. I finally gave up and put my Navigation system back in and got a 2015 set of updated discs for the unit.

Bryan
Thanks for your input! I think Chrono Packs are probably the hardest to install afterwards. I thought changing the sat nav to a speedometer can be done with sime coding.

I will wait for other answers, maybe someone can guide me to the right direction to start this process.

What are these updated discs? What can it do and where can I get one?

Old 04-13-2023, 12:56 PM
peterrakolcza
Neutral
Originally Posted by A383Wing
Here are my findings when I installed this Chrono-pack into my '06 R52 JCW earlier this year

1) The mileage on the cars odometer will change to read the new center dash cluster's mileage, I went from 108,000+ down to 84,694 miles
2) My TPS or flat tire monitor light is always on now, I can not turn it off with the reset procedure (was never on before)
3) My DSC light is on all the time as well, throws a code saying VIN is different between old & new instrument cluster
4) Also have other codes in the speedometer cluster, and the steering angle modules because of VIN difference's, I cannot clear the codes at all
5) My back up warning system, or PDC system does not work anymore
6) I don't think the "Check gas cap" light will function either, I drove around for a while with the gas cap loose, light never came on
7) I had to get another dash bezel with the chrome rings because the NAV system takes a different bezel
8) All gauges in the Chrono Pack do work when I plugged the instrument cluster into my car. All the dash lights work and dim as they should.
These findings line up almost perfectly with my experience. On the other hand, if I could solve the VIN and mileage issue, maybe the TPMS and the engine warnings could be eliminited also.

Old 04-13-2023, 01:30 PM
deepgrey
6th Gear
Received 342 Likes on 264 Posts
I'm pretty sure most of the info you need is buried in this thread, though I haven't ever bothered to read it thoroughly. I believe someone tossed his findings on VIN and mileage up on github.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:01 AM
peterrakolcza
Neutral
So, after reading this whole thread a several time, I am not far from understanding the process. To start with, I have to buy a R270 v1.20 BDM programmer.

Then do the following:
  1. solder the wires
  2. flash the flash and eeprom provided by the GitHub link (whats the difference between the flash and eeprom?), and I dont have to change anything, just flash the 0km version
  3. Then do a ZCS_LESEN on EWS and a ZCS_SCHREIBEN on KMB
  4. Then do a FGNR_LESEN on EWS and a FGNR_SCHREIBEN on KMB.
  5. Finally, code the KBM module using NCSExpert/NCSDummy (I dont understand this step, what does this step do?)
Am I missing something? Do I need something else? I am trying to replace my sat nav with a simple speedo, no chrono pack.

Thanks!

EDIT: I do need an OBDII-to-USB cable and Revtor profile for NCS-Expert.

Last edited by peterrakolcza; 04-16-2023 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:47 AM
Laup99
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Peter, it's not an easy mod - plenty of opportunities/steps to make mistakes. I would use an R260 programmer for reliability of read/write and solder the connections as shown in the thread - this is quite tricky! Then you upload the processor memory and view in hex, at which point you have a number of options. I chose to zero out the VIN and mileage areas of the uploaded file and flash this back to the kombi. The memory regions for this are shown in the thread. You can also set the kms/miles to zero/desired value using the R260 software odo correction tool. If you do this correctly (zero VIN and miles/kms) then you'll make your 'new' kombi (centre speedo) appear to be a virgin/new part and NCS will allow you to copy all the vehicle info including your actual vehicle milage/kms from another module e.g. Body Module over. After you've done this then you need to recode options and settings for the cluster change e.g. turn stuff off that no longer exists (oil gauges) and the temp gauge has different scale and orientation between centre speedo combo and chrono - gauges are calibrated by angle moved and value in hex. So you have to work through some cal updates. Quite a few cal changes but all quite easy and obvious.
So:
- Buy an R260 and a good fine-tip soldering iron. Upload, save, and edit/zero the uploaded file as the thread. Read it back to check it.
- Do you have NCS setup? If you haven't done this before it can be very difficult to get it up and running so start doing this. Make sure you get all the file updates for R53. Make sure you buy a OBD connector that can switch between pins 7/8. NCS and NCS Dummy aren't easy to use either!
- If you have NCS read the bin files out of your kombi and the column gauges and view the setups in NCS Dummy this will give you an idea of what cal changes you'll have to make for centre speedo and new column gauge.

Not sure what year you car is, but more options are available on the facelift 2004 on cars. I'm pretty sure your kombi and column gauge ideally need to come from the same car - things like same SW build and bus data dictionaries for messaging need to be compatible - check this on the white labels.

If you haven't used NCS and you have a later 2004 on car, a nice easy mod is to turn on the column rev-counter vehicle speed in the LCD display. This is just one cal change in NCS/NCS Dummy but will begin to teach you how NCS works - there's a YouTube video on it.

Hope this helps to get you started!

Old 04-16-2023, 06:56 AM
peterrakolcza
Neutral
Edit to another post!

Old 04-16-2023, 06:57 AM
peterrakolcza
Neutral
Originally Posted by Laup99
Hi Peter, it's not an easy mod - plenty of opportunities/steps to make mistakes. I would use an R260 programmer for reliability of read/write and solder the connections as shown in the thread - this is quite tricky! Then you upload the processor memory and view in hex, at which point you have a number of options. I chose to zero out the VIN and mileage areas of the uploaded file and flash this back to the kombi. The memory regions for this are shown in the thread. You can also set the kms/miles to zero/desired value using the R260 software odo correction tool. If you do this correctly (zero VIN and miles/kms) then you'll make your 'new' kombi (centre speedo) appear to be a virgin/new part and NCS will allow you to copy all the vehicle info including your actual vehicle milage/kms from another module e.g. Body Module over. After you've done this then you need to recode options and settings for the cluster change e.g. turn stuff off that no longer exists (oil gauges) and the temp gauge has different scale and orientation between centre speedo combo and chrono - gauges are calibrated by angle moved and value in hex. So you have to work through some cal updates. Quite a few cal changes but all quite easy and obvious.
So:
- Buy an R260 and a good fine-tip soldering iron. Upload, save, and edit/zero the uploaded file as the thread. Read it back to check it.
- Do you have NCS setup? If you haven't done this before it can be very difficult to get it up and running so start doing this. Make sure you get all the file updates for R53. Make sure you buy a OBD connector that can switch between pins 7/8. NCS and NCS Dummy aren't easy to use either!
- If you have NCS read the bin files out of your kombi and the column gauges and view the setups in NCS Dummy this will give you an idea of what cal changes you'll have to make for centre speedo and new column gauge.

Not sure what year you car is, but more options are available on the facelift 2004 on cars. I'm pretty sure your kombi and column gauge ideally need to come from the same car - things like same SW build and bus data dictionaries for messaging need to be compatible - check this on the white labels.

If you haven't used NCS and you have a later 2004 on car, a nice easy mod is to turn on the column rev-counter vehicle speed in the LCD display. This is just one cal change in NCS/NCS Dummy but will begin to teach you how NCS works - there's a YouTube video on it.

I have a R53 with the sat nav installed. I have bought an aftermarket center speedometer and changed the double gauges to a simple one. Everything is working except that I have the TPMS and the engine light always on. The TPMS was an issues with the sat nav also. I am guessing that the VIN numbers aren't matching...

Do you think I can get away with just zeroing out the VIN and mileage and reinstall everything back to the car then copy over the existing data? Should this solve my issue? Thanks

Old 04-16-2023, 07:02 AM
peterrakolcza
Neutral
- Do you have NCS setup? If you haven't done this before it can be very difficult to get it up and running so start doing this. Make sure you get all the file updates for R53. Make sure you buy a OBD connector that can switch between pins 7/8. NCS and NCS Dummy aren't easy to use either!!
Could you please point me the right direction where can I get the R53 files? Many thanks!

Old 04-16-2023, 07:24 AM
peterrakolcza
Neutral
Did anyone try this with the standard center speedo? Because even tough I have found the wiring for the center speedo, I cannot find anything about the address of the VIN and mileage in the binary. Any ideas what to do? Thanks

Last edited by peterrakolcza; 04-16-2023 at 07:25 AM. Reason: formating
Old 05-06-2023, 03:06 AM
drag45man
Neutral
Originally Posted by MrBlah
My swap has been done for years and I have no error lights, The only thing I don't have is The miles displaying correctly. To fix all the error lights you need to code the combi with all the same options that your original combi had The most important is DSC and ASC, you do this with NCS expert it's not terribly hard. Once done you need to code the steering angle as the last step
what's the process use with ncs to remove the light I don't give. a **** about the vin or the millage I just want my lights off

Old 05-06-2023, 03:07 AM
drag45man
Neutral
Originally Posted by MrBlah
My swap has been done for years and I have no error lights, The only thing I don't have is The miles displaying correctly. To fix all the error lights you need to code the combi with all the same options that your original combi had The most important is DSC and ASC, you do this with NCS expert it's not terribly hard. Once done you need to code the steering angle as the last step
what's the process use with ncs to remove the light I don't give. a **** about the vin or the millage I just want my lights off

Old 05-06-2023, 09:49 AM
drag45man
Neutral
chrino

Originally Posted by [P²]
Is anyone doing the flash part of this retrofit as a service? The NCS expert part seems more doable, but the flash not so much.
did u ever figure this out

Old 05-09-2023, 12:02 PM
beatboy77
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What if I want to do the opposite? I have a 2008 R52 WITH the Chrono Package and would like to change to the large Speedo in the center and single Tac on the steering column. Would this be plug-n-play for me or complex like the other way around?

Thank You

Old 05-20-2023, 03:50 AM
brainiac
Neutral
So I tried to flash HW08SW23 to my sat nav, but as my sat nav is PFL and not FL, HW08SW23 corrupts it. Mileage and VIN are transferred successfully, but brake pad, belt and gas cap lights are constantly on. Can I somehow modify the HW08SW23 files, or does someone have HW07SW19 files that I would need? Thanks!

Old 06-14-2023, 08:13 AM
joshzash14
1st Gear
So:

Lau - Are you open to or know anyone who would do this programming for others? (editing the vin/mileage) I've located a nav I want to swap into my car, but its mileage is under by 30 thousand miles. Also any links for buying a R260?

Old 07-01-2023, 05:00 AM
Dotradepro
Neutral
Good day, I want to ask if anyone has come across a problem, I have a chrono package and a R270 + programmer, I successfully connected and updated the mileage when checking, everything converges, but on the central panel everything went out and does not respond to turning the key, I tried to upload flash dumps and its prom , after all I can successfully read them and compare them the same but the dashboard does not come to life

Old 07-05-2023, 01:27 PM
Couch53
Neutral
Has anyone tried yet installing a brand new Chrono & speedometer? I wonder if that could help some of the issues that arise when installing.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Chrono Pack Retrofit - All the info you need (hopefully)