Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Show pics of your subwoofer install!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:10 PM
racinbmw
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Show pics of your subwoofer install!

I am curious where you guys are installing your subwoofers and I am trying to think of a place that will still allow me to utilize the trunk or what is left of the trunk I guess. Just show some pics of your stuff for looks. Thanks

Old 01-09-2006, 01:25 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Search for the JL Audio Stealthbox, leaves lots of trunk room. In my MC I used a hatchback box that took up 1/2 the boot. In my MCS, well, the back seats were taken out and replaced with a sub box. This actually made more cargo room, but is not practical for others.

Pics:

I added a false floor to level it out in the back and to add a concealed storage area. The cargo net is to protect the sub when driving with cargo in the boot, and the bull head is for, well, I am not sure but its there for now.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The MINITOR
In my MCS, well, I took out the back seats and replaced it with a sub box.

Didn't the guy grafik dezine actually make that? Just playing with ya Looks amazing

Old 01-09-2006, 01:47 PM
meg
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Didn't the guy grafik dezine actually make that? Just playing with ya Looks amazing
I was gonna say the same thing. I live near GD and the MCS in that sig has always looked so familar. I guess he sold it to you?? No more MINI for Phil??

Old 01-09-2006, 01:58 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Yup, it was Phils, but now it is mine. And I will post it as so, muahahahaha! Mine mine mine. And yes, poor Phil is now MINIless. I guess I should have said that in a passive tense, "the back seats were taken out and replaced with a sub box."

Actually, Phil didnt do the sub either, it was these guys shown here: http://audio-xtc.com/feature.htm

Old 02-16-2006, 03:01 PM
schooner2
4th Gear
I just recieved mine!!

Old 02-16-2006, 03:16 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Nice, do you have any more pics? I'm curious how it looks from the back.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:20 PM
justaguyinvegas
3rd Gear
I recommend the Infinity Basslink II.

I had originally wanted to upgrade the entire stereo from the head unit back, but after just adding the Basslink I think I will stop there. It really fills out the sound and helps the stock stereo sound better. Volume goes much higher than I ever need. I can take it out of the car in about 5 min. It matches the interior of my Mini. You can later add a module that gives you 4x50 watts for the rest of your speakers. The low frequencies roll off at about 30 Hz.

I am very happy with it.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by justaguyinvegas
I recommend the Infinity Basslink II.

I had originally wanted to upgrade the entire stereo from the head unit back, but after just adding the Basslink I think I will stop there. It really fills out the sound and helps the stock stereo sound better. Volume goes much higher than I ever need. I can take it out of the car in about 5 min. It matches the interior of my Mini. You can later add a module that gives you 4x50 watts for the rest of your speakers. The low frequencies roll off at about 30 Hz.

I am very happy with it
That looks like a great and simple solution. I love that it is removeable. Is that just a bungee type cable that keeps it in place? Can you give more details about how you installed it (how do you connect it and where did you pull power from?).

Old 02-17-2006, 10:43 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmm trunk space what a concept

Randy
M7 tuning

Old 02-18-2006, 01:44 PM
bonz
3rd Gear
Here are a couple of shots of my custom install. I wanted BASS but also wanted to keep most of my tiny trunk.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:20 PM
JEFFERY.GOETZ
Neutral
A different question

Originally Posted by bonz
Here are a couple of shots of my custom install. I wanted BASS but also wanted to keep most of my tiny trunk.

Do you have any engine noise problems? I had a whine rivaling my wifes untill we moved the amplifier away from the battery.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:28 PM
nocivic
2nd Gear
1 ORION 10" H2 sub, ORION 600D, ORION 4004.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:34 AM
justaguyinvegas
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Nuff
That looks like a great and simple solution. I love that it is removeable. Is that just a bungee type cable that keeps it in place? Can you give more details about how you installed it (how do you connect it and where did you pull power from?).
http://home.earthlink.net/~nbtbbs/images/BasslinkII.jpg

For power, I tapped directly to the battery underneath (fused of course!).. there is a cool bolt by the battery I used for ground. For audio, I spliced into the rear speaker leads and ran them to a line level converter from navone engineering http://www.autosound2000.com/adaptor_products.htm. I used the model NE-774V rather than rely on the built in converter in the Basslink. The bungee is the rubber kind and holds the speaker really well. I am getting ready to upgrade to the Basslink 4sc amp for my new infinity reference speakers. Hope this helps...

Old 02-20-2006, 08:25 AM
simplygriff
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club

When you fold down the seats it's flush so you have a large flat space for hauling stuff and fully removable with a single quick disconnect. Amp's under my pasenger seat.
-G

Old 02-20-2006, 08:36 AM
schooner2
4th Gear
Here is a shot from the back, Had a bad glare but you get the idea, and I cane remove this box in about 10-15 minutes!! it has a storage comparment in the back!

Old 02-20-2006, 11:27 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Nice.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:56 AM
chipgrafx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by simplygriff

When you fold down the seats it's flush so you have a large flat space for hauling stuff and fully removable with a single quick disconnect. Amp's under my pasenger seat.
-G
I've been giving much thought to going this exact route as far as how the enclosure is built and the location of the amp.

Could you be so kind as to provide a picture of how the amp looks under the seat? Perhaps shot from the front passenger foot area. And also, what type of amp are you using and maybe its aproximate dimensions? Any of this info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Oh... are your subs 8" or 10"?

Old 02-20-2006, 12:05 PM
simplygriff
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Ask and ye shall receive...

Autotek MeanMachine 75.2 www.maxxsonics.com
I'll have to get you dimensions later. I'm at work right now. The site doesn't list them.
-G

Old 03-23-2006, 10:40 AM
straymon
Neutral
Here is my install. Mostly fiberglass so its light and can be removed in just a few minutes when needed.

Attached Thumbnails Show pics of your subwoofer install!-booty1.jpg   Show pics of your subwoofer install!-booty2.jpg  
Old 04-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Fracky
Transwarp - Warp 10.0
Originally Posted by schooner2
I just recieved mine!!

This is a super-sweet setup!!!! Not to steal your idea, but for those of us who don't have the ability to complete dimensions, setup, etc. is there a place that has pre-made or add-as-applicable components? I really dig what you did here and would love to have my own version in my car.
I have a half-cage welded in the back, so some minor adjustments would be needed. Keep up the great work!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Arty13
2nd Gear
simplygriff,

I like your flush box setup, how big is the box? I'm getting a MCS '06 in May, and I want to be able to install a sub right away. How much depth do you have in the back? I have a few subs in mind, but want to make sure they are shallow enough for an install like yours.

Question for the rest, I dont need tons of bass, but want some to make it sound better. Should I get a 10" or a 12", or should i get two 10"? any suggestions would be great.

Arty

Old 04-10-2006, 08:17 PM
astromini
4th Gear
with the subs in the trunk... are you guys able to still get into the car batt? i want to add my subs but im scared that i might not be able to get into my batt?...

Old 04-11-2006, 04:03 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by astromini
with the subs in the trunk... are you guys able to still get into the car batt? i want to add my subs but im scared that i might not be able to get into my batt?...
I'm sure the sound systems are not permanently mounted so with a little bit of work they could be removed to get to the battery.

I am looking into doing a simple single sub in my boot as well

Old 04-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bonz

NICE!!!

That is exactly the look I am going for... I have the wood, I've made a cardboard stencil of my boot... I've also got the power and speaker cables, a 10" sub, and 2 amps... I just need to get around to ordering some sound dampening material (I only want rip out the car one more time, not multiple times), and actually cutting and making the boxes.

Great minds think alike!

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Show pics of your subwoofer install!