Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Show Your iPod Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:39 AM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much, Ministi2005. I ordered a MCS JCW last year and one of those HK units. Then I canceled both orders, waiting for '07 MINI, however I might buy one for my '05 MCS, after reading your comments.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Rollin
3rd Gear
It’s not an ipod nor really a mount, but I don’t think I’ve seen this on here so thought I’d share. Read about hooking up the aux port cable to a male-male cable above and then just feeding through the end on Mini2. I usually feed out enough cable to put the PDA on the passenger seat.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Brian G.
Coordinator :: MINIkota Car Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got a new Alpine CDA-9857 installed. I just put the cable for the iPod through those little vents like Rollin.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:02 AM
billwmini
Neutral
I've just installed the HK Drive + Play unit, directly wired into the HK head aux input and it works great. I've mounted the display on the black roof panel overhead to reduce dash clutter. My issue is where to mount the HK head unit. At present I'll probably do the PCV pipe and try to figure out how to angle it toward the front, but the tiny change space beneath the brake handle could be another option if a bracket could be constructed to mount the HK head unit to the side of the brake handle. Anyone have a clean install on this?

Old 04-21-2006, 08:46 AM
tx-jbird
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mastersonics
Has anyone though about installing a Macmini instead
I'm looking into this very seriously since
I could have all the functionality of Mac and play DVD's etc...

I know it's not for everyone plus is more $$$
but I've seen some incredible installations

just wanted to know what you guys think about this

regards,
Charles
One of the member of the Houston MINI Motoring Society has done that. MacWorld featured the installation in one of the summer 2005 issues I believe.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:19 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Finally got around to taking pics:

Made from a 5.25 computer case blank and the guides from an old school slot1 processor. Fits the 30gb Video perfectly. Attached using Belkin adapter to an Aux input.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:42 AM
DesignIt
4th Gear
Some really nice installations here. This was one of the first mods I made to my MINI when I got it. I wanted the iPod beside the tach, so I made an aluminum bracket for the Dension connector and attached it to the back of the tach.

It works great, and the orange illumination on the iPods buttons match the MINI instruments perfectly at night.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:11 AM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice ipod bracket!

Old 05-03-2006, 06:54 AM
DesignIt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by paulr
Nice ipod bracket!
Thanks! I found another photo that shows the back side of the bracket and the attachment points on the tach.

It required a subtle bend to fit snugly against the back of the tach. I also spent some quality time polishing it to simulate the chrome finish on the back of the iPod.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:04 PM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
Very good solution and neatly done!

Old 05-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
My Griffin Tuneflex came in the mail today.

Very nice. Holds the nano very securely. The output plug is located at the base so there's no hassle with the aux cable running up the unit. I ran the engine, revved it up a bit and thankfully there is no feedback noise. I noticed that once it's docked, you can't control the volume via click wheel like you do if it's just connected by the aux plug. You control the volume via the headunit or the steering wheel (if equipped). At the base there's a two position switch for the output volume.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:45 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good Job!

Good Job! Very sleek.

While at the Dragon, I was told that cravenspeed was coming out with a mount that sounded very similar to this one.

Originally Posted by DesignIt
Some really nice installations here. This was one of the first mods I made to my MINI when I got it. I wanted the iPod beside the tach, so I made an aluminum bracket for the Dension connector and attached it to the back of the tach.

It works great, and the orange illumination on the iPods buttons match the MINI instruments perfectly at night.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
I have mine right in front of the shifer for now in a DLO Transpod holder, but am looking for a better solution. I like where it is in terms of looks, but it is hard to access or read while driving.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:07 AM
firegrip
Neutral
Anyone have any experiance with the Dennison DICE Link? Its should be the replacement to their ICE Link / ICE Link Plus for the Ipod.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:52 AM
TouringComet
3rd Gear
Old 06-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Gerldoc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My iPod mount is a homemade job, from wood, a Proclip mount, some paint, and velcro. I planed the wood so that there would be a slight angle to the mount, to improve the visibility of the iPod. Not very high tech, but cheap to make. I have the iPod adapter from MINI (about 35 bucks) which I installed in about 5 minutes (once I figured out how to pull the knee bolster down!). I have a November 2005 build car with the H/K system and the head unit I have does not show ID3 tags. I had ordered the ICElink, and sent it back after I chickened out on the initial horror stories with it.
I'm glad I did - for a LOT less money, I have a great setup. I can still use the MFSW to adjust volume on the iPod, AND have full control over the iPod. Not seeing the ID3 tags on the HU is not a big deal to me - I can easily see what's playing on the iPod itself. Because it simply "sticks" to the mount, I can easily remove it with one hand while driving (while it's still hooked up and playing!) if I want to adjust anything on the iPod. I charge it with the Belkin adaptor (I recently installed a second cig lighter/12 volt jack to use for my Garmin Nuvi).
And, with the velcro, it's a total of one second to remove the iPod! When I leave the car, I simply hide it out of sight or take it with me. No big deal. I like that I still have my big cupholder as well as the smaller ones available for parking meter change, etc.

The other nice thing about this mount is that it is very adaptable. I recently got a Nano - so when I am ready to use that, all I have to do is to put a strip of non-fuzzy side Velcro on the back of it and I am set to use it in the Mini!

Old 07-02-2006, 07:32 PM
irieman
5th Gear
iPod install "on the cheap"

Without a MFSW I couldn't see spending too much on getting my iPod into the MINI. so after viewing all the great installs posted, I thought I'd represent the cheapos in the house:

• Yes- I paid the dealer to install my Aux Input... (I was a noob and didn't know better!)... ($120 w/ labor, if I rem. correctly)
  • (Blue) Car Charger Splitter... (powers neon "footlights" too! neeto!) (~$2 off the clearance rack!)
  • (White) Beklin iPod Charger (~$20)
  • (Green) 5-foot 1/8" cable from Radio Shack, neatly tucked. (~$3)
  • All routed through the "factory" hole in the glove box.
  • Running 1/8" stereo cable and iPod Charger from the behind the glovebox, behind/under the whatchamacallit cover
  • Note the neon "footlight" (yes there's a matching one on the driver's side...)
  • Belkin Hard Shell Case (~$20)
  • With the long cable, I can set my iPod in the cupholder, grab it Pod when needed, or even let rear seat passengers control it.
  • And they say the cupholder is usesless!

Your standard "install"! (lousy shot, I know)

The best part about this "install", is that I didn't have to unscrew or drill a hole in anything. When I sold the MINI I was able to take it all with me- minus the AUX Input itself.

Future plans... A car charger splitter w/ room for 4-5 devices (in anticipation of additional GPS, Radar, and cellphone)

(This set also available w/ more details on Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66289509@N00/180276587/ )

Old 07-02-2006, 07:43 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by The MINITOR
Here's mine:...

(Men, the Ipod is on the bottom of the pic, not on the screen )...
Is that video the video I think it is?!

Old 07-04-2006, 01:48 PM
PjTheJester
2nd Gear
I keep reading this is an FM transmitted signal and can't be hard-wired in. Can it be hardwired???? If so, I'm going to get one!

~PJ

Originally Posted by Ministi2005
Sure. So here's the thing -- I'm either older than most of you guys or at least more blind. So, being able to see what I was doing without killing myself was key.

Navigation using the HK is very simple. It is just as if you were navigating directly on the IPOD, with the difference being that I can actually see it while I drive (and I can barely see anything without reading glasses anymore) thus making the roads safer for everyone.

In other words, I can keep looking directly ahead and still change my music. There are a number of options re: font size and scrolling and also brightness. The brightness doesn't bother me at night at all (I thought that it might). It is easily visible in almost all lighting scenarios (I thought it might look washed out in the sunlight, but it doesn't).

95% of my music source is IPOD driven so I rarely do FM radio or CDs anymore. Before having the DrivePlay interface I was limited to 99 songs on a playlist with the Mini HU interface (and in fact only to 5 playlists which had to be named in bizzare fashion). The HK has eliminated all those annoyances and given me access to my music again.

I have the navigation button under my handbrake - which works just fine. I can navigate without looking at it easily (since you're watching the screen ahead of you); however, it would have been nice to integrate it's nice blue light somewhere else - since it has a certain "cool" factor. Of course, to move it somewhere cool where it could be seen would mean it would be hard to reach.

In short, I like it. I have only one regret and that it is that I can see a little bit of the wire to the screen --- and I would prefer no cords at all. Eventually I will try to pick up the screen and see if I can manipulate the cord -- however, right now it's 3-M'd so nicely to the dash I hate to break the seal.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:31 AM
katherine
4th Gear
Does anybody have pics of an install that isn't an iPod? I have an MP3 player but it's an Archos GMini and sometimes it's hard to find stuff to use with MP3 players that aren't iPods.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:51 PM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by krm4h
it's an Archos GMini...
Did you buy it because of the Mini after G?

Old 07-29-2006, 06:59 PM
katherine
4th Gear
Haha, it's quite possible.

By the way, I actually got a really awesome silver and black adjustable cell phone/mp3 mount today at Wal-Mart for five bucks.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 PM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by krm4h
Haha, it's quite possible.

By the way, I actually got a really awesome silver and black adjustable cell phone/mp3 mount today at Wal-Mart for five bucks.
Show the picture!

Old 09-17-2006, 06:33 PM
josh_mini
Neutral
iPOD PlaCe

HERE's MY IPOD....HOPE U LIKE IT

Attached Thumbnails Show Your iPod Installation-sta42660.jpg   Show Your iPod Installation-sta42648.jpg  
Old 09-26-2006, 05:57 AM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Originally Posted by josh_mini
HERE's MY IPOD....HOPE U LIKE IT
Looks nice. What kind of mount is that?

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Show Your iPod Installation