Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Show Your iPod Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 05:30 PM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That solution is the same as the OEM MINI iPod adaptor minus the ability to display songs in the stereo display.

Originally Posted by ja ME s
anyone seen the drive + play from harmon kardon yet? It looks like it might be a nice way to keep the ipod out of sight, display song info, choose by artist/playlist/whatever, plus charge the ipod, etc.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx

I'm thinking that you could mount the display on the steering column and the control **** somewhere a little out of sight that you could control by feel.

anyone seen/tried this yet. i still have another 3 weeks to wait for the mini so i'm still contemplating what is the best option for me for integration.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:32 PM
BiZzLeSMiNI
3rd Gear
Wow I just checked out that link u posted and I might have to get this system with the ipod video I will hopefully get this Christmas. I would love to see if someone has installed this system in their MINI yet, and if so could post some pictures and comments please. Thanks

Old 11-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ncdave
Here's mine.:smile:
What mount is that NCDave?? Looks nice and clean, does it work with other iPods???

Could everybody please post their setups along with pictures.......

Old 11-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by C4
I have the OEM MINI iPod adaptor, so my black 4GB Nano tucks away neatly inside the glovebox compartment. Since the iPod is set automatically to external control mode once it is hooked up to the adaptor, there is no need for me to keep it outside. Also the adaptor charges the Nano, eliminating the need to have additional power cables. I like it. Nice and clean

I never leave my iPod inside the car because Apple warns that high interior temperatures may damage the iPod. Since the Nano is so small and lightweight, I just put it in my shirt pocket.

I personally don't like to have the iPod in plain view. It is an invitation for thiefs to smash your window. No thanks.

PS: My only caveat with this setup is that the song/artist/album info is not displayed in the stereo. However, there is the likehood MINI will release a firmware update that will allow to display these tags in the future.
Hey C4,

You headed out the normal G2G this Thursday? I would love to see how that setup works with the standard MINI adapter.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:36 PM
ultramini
2nd Gear
Here is my

Here is my. I made the holder myself. I fit the Belkin connector into the holder that I only need to use one hand to remove my iPod.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:03 AM
C4
Banned
Thameth, I plan to be there (Best Buy) at around 8PM.

Originally Posted by Thameth
Hey C4,

You headed out the normal G2G this Thursday? I would love to see how that setup works with the standard MINI adapter.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:40 AM
simplygriff
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Originally Posted by Thameth
What mount is that NCDave?? Looks nice and clean, does it work with other iPods???

Could everybody please post their setups along with pictures.......
I have a Belkin Car Mount. It fits in the cupholder. I'm running Alpine's iPod interface with the 9855.

Sorry for the glare on the iPod but you get the idea.
-G

Old 11-15-2005, 01:42 PM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
The HK's solution looks great. I placed an order for MCS JCW and HK Drive+Play, but canceled both orders, will wait for '07 MINI.
The customers' ratings are pretty high and I thing this is the best solution at this point. You can read reviews here

The image below shows how I was going to install it. It's done in Photoshop.

Attached Thumbnails Show Your iPod Installation-mini_hk.jpg  
Old 11-16-2005, 06:44 AM
Jayar
3rd Gear
Theft

I'm surprised people are concerned about theft as it relates to having an iPod mount in their car. One click and it's out. As easy to remove as a stereo faceplate.

Plus, if you leave it in your car, you can't use it at work!

JR

Old 11-16-2005, 06:55 AM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jayar
I'm surprised people are concerned about theft as it relates to having an iPod mount in their car. One click and it's out. As easy to remove as a stereo faceplate.

Plus, if you leave it in your car, you can't use it at work!

JR
Yeah, but if I'm going shopping or something, I don't want to have to remember to take it out and put it back in everytime I get into and out of the car.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:26 AM
dwfrank
2nd Gear
Same question: which grip is that?

It's clearly the Panavise mount (see installation instructions here), which attaches to the right side of the radio via the same mounting screws.

But which grip is your iPod Mini in?

--dwf

Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Jayar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
Yeah, but if I'm going shopping or something, I don't want to have to remember to take it out and put it back in everytime I get into and out of the car.

You win. Forget it. I forgot about forgetting.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:05 AM
don.davis
1st Gear
iPod Install

Here's mine. I bought a Belkin charge and play cable that has the dock connector. I installed the AUX adapter from MINI/BMW, which gives you a single 3.5m input. I plugged a single to double "Y" adapter into that to give me two 2 3.5mm inputs. I then cut off the lighter plug on the Belkin cable according to instructions I found for this hack on either ipodhacks.com or hackaday.com (can't remember which) and soldered on the male 3.5mm jack, + and ground hookups, and a ground loop. Power hookups went straight to the fusebox courtesy of a homemade "add a fuse" kit. The iPod slides right down onto the dock connector, which runs up underneath the left cup holder and is attached with about 3" of metal strapping tape which is fixed with the screw at the bottom of the cup holder. The strapping tape was just bent until it was the right angle.

All wiring is hidden under the console and behind the flip-down panel below the steering wheel. I've also got the bluetooth GPS receiver there with power and it works fine.

Into the spare 3.mm jack goes the PDA output for navigation voice. I was very happy to find that the PDA audio output temporarily overrides the iPod audio output through the AUX on the stock radio, so when directions are spoken, the music mutes for a few seconds.

Ipod has constant power so there's never any worry about it dying. Ditto for the Axim x50v DPA, which sits in it's cradle rigged up in the cup holder bracket. The audio for the PDA is delivered via the extra 3.5mm cable and runs up under the steering column rubber guard.

Don
2006 MCSC
Heidelberg, Germany

Attached Thumbnails Show Your iPod Installation-dsc00094.jpg   Show Your iPod Installation-dsc00098.jpg   Show Your iPod Installation-dsc00100.jpg  
Old 11-25-2005, 05:36 AM
azuul
3rd Gear
I just received my iPod MINI and I am glad we have this thread. I attached my phone using the Pro-clip attachment, and I think I will do the same on the other column for the iPod. Take a look at the proclipusa website for details.

You need to buy a mount (made specifically for the MINI) and an iPod attachment. It works great for my phone, which I have on the far column, i.e. on the passenger side. Now that I have the iPod, I will probably attach that to the near column.

Sorry no pics yet.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:42 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harman Kardon - Drive And Play

I've been seeing print ads for the new Harman Kardon - Drive And Play and now I'm convinced that it's a great solution for my situation.

I love the idea of having a big, lighted screen in front of my face so I'm not taking my eyes off the road. I also like the lighted control **** with the similar interface as the iPod. Now it's just a matter of figuring out where it all goes.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Smokey
6th Gear
Hey DD - Do they have a wired version or only the FM Mod style??

And Don - You did save the built in voltage drop that the plug in portion of the Belkin had, didn't you? I only ask so that others won't just hack and direct wire to a 12vdc connection.

Old 11-27-2005, 04:01 PM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
Hey Don, I don't see MINI on your iPod display. Were you able to override BMW/MINI interface, so you don't have to use playlists titled MINI1, MINI2 and so on?

Old 11-30-2005, 03:43 AM
don.davis
1st Gear
iPod install

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys, I guess the auto-email function doesn't always work...

MINIyegor, no, there's no MINI on the iPod display. I didn't use the BMW interface, just the plain vanilla AUX cable. All control is strictly through the iPod. I don't have the MFSW either...

Smokey4, you're dead on. Yes, I did save that tiny transistor, about 1mmx2.5mm... I just used the dremel cutting disc and cut it out of the PCB since the +12v in and white exit wire were there on the same corner. Covered it up with shrink wrap and kept on trucking! :-)

dd

Old 11-30-2005, 03:58 AM
Tit
5th Gear
I've got an Alpine IVA-D310 Touch-Screen DVD player with the Alpine iPod adapter. The cable comes out of the vents below the toggle switches (about where the OEM aux connector usually goes). The iPod sits neatly in the little cradle (that I think is designed for sun-glasses) that's standard in the 05's...

It dosent' slide around and it's out of sight. All controls are via the touch screen. Alpines don't require you to make play-lists. You can browse the folders like a normal iPod. You can also do it with mp3 cd's and DVD's....

Apart from the menu being a bit slow and chunky, it works nicely. I can also control the tracks through the MFSW...

Old 11-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by don.davis
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys, I guess the auto-email function doesn't always work...

MINIyegor, no, there's no MINI on the iPod display. I didn't use the BMW interface, just the plain vanilla AUX cable. All control is strictly through the iPod. I don't have the MFSW either...

Smokey4, you're dead on. Yes, I did save that tiny transistor, about 1mmx2.5mm... I just used the dremel cutting disc and cut it out of the PCB since the +12v in and white exit wire were there on the same corner. Covered it up with shrink wrap and kept on trucking! :-)

dd
Does the Aux cable have to come from MINI/BMW? Is it a special cable or just a mini plug that goes into the headphone jack?

I might just go with the aux cable for a while until after xmas when i can figure out which iPod adapter to get.

If it does have to be from MINI/BMW does anybody know the part #?

Old 11-30-2005, 11:33 PM
cooperdude
2nd Gear
Heres mine:

The dock is not permanent, I found a PVC pipe end that was very close in size to a pop can and about the height of the cupholder, I then glued the base of the ipod dock to the PVC pipe. It works very well and allows you to go through even major twisties with no movement of the ipod or the dock.

One of these days i'll paint the pipe (you can see some of the white below the dock) so it matches better. The dock i painted so it matched the interior better. The camera's flash makes it look way off but its very close. The audio out goes to the factory AUX input and the power is via the apple firewire cable which is connected to an ipod firewire charger which is located underneath the dash, assessable from the knee bolster. (whoa long sentence) The charger is powered by a new 12v power socket which is connected by an "add-a-circuit" adapter. It is switched so when the car isn't running its not drawing power.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:42 PM
don.davis
1st Gear
Aux cable

Thameth:

Does the Aux cable have to come from MINI/BMW? Is it a special cable or just a mini plug that goes into the headphone jack?

Yeah, it's a special cable from BMW/MINI. It plugs into the Aux jack on the back of the stock radio and has some special goodies on the cable between the radio and the 3.5mm aux plug itself, so you're really supposed to use it. At $40 it's not a terrible price.

I might just go with the aux cable for a while until after xmas when i can figure out which iPod adapter to get.

Good idea. At that price it's the cheapest way to go until you figure out a system with compromises you can live with.

If it does have to be from MINI/BMW does anybody know the part #?

I sure don't. I think a search will turn it up, though, I've seen it posted before.

Don in Heidelberg

Old 12-02-2005, 09:57 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
What do you all recommend for ipod integration. I'm looking at the denson Ice link or the blitzsafe... help! I current have the aux input and that was a waste of money. It's not very effective for the IPOD.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:59 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goldcountrymini
What do you all recommend for ipod integration. I'm looking at the denson Ice link or the blitzsafe... help! I current have the aux input and that was a waste of money. It's not very effective for the IPOD.
Alpine HU and the alpine adapter - SOOOOO much better than anything the factory could ever offer!

Old 12-02-2005, 10:19 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Not so red- I'm not going to change the factory HU. What's the best adapter with the factory HU. I need to submit my order to Santa ASAP if it's going to arrive on xmas day.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Show Your iPod Installation