Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Show Your iPod Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 10:26 PM
roggenmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the Ice>Link Plus. Trunk Mount. Love it. Here are some pics.

I love the fact that you can not see it from any where outside of the car. And it is really easy to grab when I need to.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:48 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goldcountrymini
Not so red- I'm not going to change the factory HU. What's the best adapter with the factory HU. I need to submit my order to Santa ASAP if it's going to arrive on xmas day.
none of the adapters are good in my eyes.

ive seen a few of them, they are all kinda hokey. doesnt list and of the song names, doenst list any track times, hard to use etc...

mine, i can see band name, song name, album name, time elapsed, i can serch thru artist/albums/playlists/songs right from my HU while i have a song playing, and ive got a few more watts going to the speakers to boot! its win win situation.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:21 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Not so red- You make a strong point. It would be nice to see all that info, however, I really want to keep the stock inside.

Roggen - I like the trunk mount and the steahlines of that. That's the icelink, but where'd you get the trunk mount? I didn't see it on the site. I may have been looking in the wrong part though.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
What do you all recommend for ipod integration. I'm looking at the denson Ice link or the blitzsafe... help! I current have the aux input and that was a waste of money. It's not very effective for the IPOD.
Does anybody know when they're going to release the Icelink plus for the 5G? The current one doesn't fit the new body right?

The Plus looks great because if you mount the iPod where you can see the display it still shows track name and info on the iPod screen. And from the website it seems like you can use the MSFW to browse the iPod too for the next track or function. So far it looks like what i want to go with eventually but i want to play with one first. Do any stores carry the icelink with possible display's?

Old 12-02-2005, 11:49 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
I don't know if it fits the new holder. I know the dock cable is the same... I'd guess the holder would have to be a little different. It's worth an emailto them to find out that info. I'd do it if I had the new one. Ihave the 4G ipod. I just bought the my better half a Nano for her b-day. It's neat, I like it. I will have to wear out my 4G one before I get another ipod. If you email them, post what you find so others will know.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:59 PM
roggenmini
2nd Gear

Roggen - I like the trunk mount and the steahlines of that. That's the icelink, but where'd you get the trunk mount? I didn't see it on the site. I may have been looking in the wrong part though.
I got the trunk mount at Best Buy. I had it installed in about 2 mins, but to burry the cable under the panels took a couple of hrs.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:59 AM
fj0
5th Gear
Get the Harman Kardon, I've only read good stuff about it!

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000073048307/

Check crutchfield.com as well, they've got some user reviews!

Old 12-03-2005, 03:35 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Here is Mine

Old 12-03-2005, 04:10 AM
Tit
5th Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
Alpine HU and the alpine adapter - SOOOOO much better than anything the factory could ever offer!
Only if you're prepared to spend the $$$ - I love mine, but the scrolling system is slow...being able to use the touch-screen to select songs is sweeeeeeeet...

Old 12-03-2005, 04:54 AM
fj0
5th Gear
I won't recommend the Alpine system, I'm sorry. If I wanna search through Artists, I can only get to Busta Rhymes, so really, all I can do is use playlists or shuffle all my 6000songs.

And yeah, it's pretty slow, and my iPod freezes every now and then and you'll have to reboot it. For the cash I paid I wasa expecting something better, oh well. Still though, the sound and that stuff is great! It just isn't very easy to handle and use the iPod fully.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by fj0
Get the Harman Kardon, I've only read good stuff about it!

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000073048307/

Check crutchfield.com as well, they've got some user reviews!
I don't want an extra big display and controller when i don't need either...... IMHO.

According to the Icelink Plus website you can use the Ipods screen for display and your MSFW for control. To me its much better using that instead of adding even more stuff to the interior.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:16 AM
bigpmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Thameth
Does anybody know when they're going to release the Icelink plus for the 5G? The current one doesn't fit the new body right?

The only difference in size between the 4G and the 5G is how thick it is. So it will still fit in your Ice-Link cradle, you just need to add a small spacer so that it won't wobble around. Dension sends the spacers to you anyways, as the 4G 20gig was thinner than the 40gig.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bigpmj
The only difference in size between the 4G and the 5G is how thick it is. So it will still fit in your Ice-Link cradle, you just need to add a small spacer so that it won't wobble around. Dension sends the spacers to you anyways, as the 4G 20gig was thinner than the 40gig.
Ahh so their not coming out with a new version for the 5G? I see you have this set up, could you post pics of it with your new 5G on and off the cradle.

Thanx!

Also, does the Icelink plus work with the MSFW like the website suggests? From the demo is seems to that you can use the MSFW to actually browse the iPod interface just like the scroll wheel but with button holds and quick taps instead of spinning and center button. Is that true?

Old 12-03-2005, 10:35 AM
roggenmini
2nd Gear
Yes it is true that you can use the MFSW to control it. The other thing that I liked over the BMW/MINI adapter is that the ID3 tags a diplayed on the head unit. So you don't actually have to see the ipod to see what is playing.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by roggenmini
Yes it is true that you can use the MFSW to control it. The other thing that I liked over the BMW/MINI adapter is that the ID3 tags a diplayed on the head unit. So you don't actually have to see the ipod to see what is playing.
With the Icelink plus??? Sweet, but i would still use the iPod display.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:30 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
What is the difference between the Icelink and the blitzsafe? Don't they do the same thing?

Old 12-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Rogue, would you mind going into detail on how the Icelink Plus works from the MSFW? I doubt i'll be able to see one inperson and play with it so i would love to get some details before i drop the cash.

Thanx!

Old 12-04-2005, 10:37 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
What is the difference between the Icelink and the blitzsafe? Don't they do the same thing?

Icelink allows you to control the iPod through the head unit. Blitzsafe is just means of provide a set of auxillary jacks.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:52 PM
blalor
6th Gear
I'm using the ice>Link: Plus and have the cradle mounted to the glove box organizer: http://flickr.com/photos/blalor/52812188/

The artist and title display on the head unit, so I don't need to see the iPod to use it. This arrangement makes it easy to store and retrieve it when I need to (tho it hardly ever leaves the car, and the battery's only good for about an hour, now).

I previously had the ice>Link cradle mounted on a Panavise bracket: http://flickr.com/photos/blalor/15071913/

... but that's now reserved for my GPS: http://flickr.com/photos/blalor/52764611/

So much for minimalist motoring... :-P

Old 12-05-2005, 08:28 AM
roggenmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Thameth
Rogue, would you mind going into detail on how the Icelink Plus works from the MSFW? I doubt i'll be able to see one inperson and play with it so i would love to get some details before i drop the cash.

Thanx!
It works just like a cd. The vol controls are there. And the track advace as well. You can set up as many Play lists as you want. It will assign the first 5 (alpha numeric) to the first 5 presets. If you hit the 6th preset it will let you control the ipod. You use the up and down to browse and hod up to select. Works really well. And if you want to get to something quickly just pull it out of the cradle use the ipod interface, start it playing and put it back in the cradle. It will then be playing what you selected.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
It works just like a cd. The vol controls are there. And the track advace as well. You can set up as many Play lists as you want. It will assign the first 5 (alpha numeric) to the first 5 presets. If you hit the 6th preset it will let you control the ipod. You use the up and down to browse and hod up to select. Works really well. And if you want to get to something quickly just pull it out of the cradle use the ipod interface, start it playing and put it back in the cradle. It will then be playing what you selected.
So you can browse the standard iPod interface with the MSFW just like as if you were using the iPod click wheel manually correct? Just slightly different since your using the wheel buttons instead of the scroll wheel?

If so then i'm SOLD! Then you can view everything normally from the iPod screen if it were set up on your dash? YOu can see all the music info and album cover stuff?

Huge Thanx! This is the closest i can be to actually trying it out because i don't know where i can go to test one.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:25 PM
roggenmini
2nd Gear
That is correct. I actually had the factory link ordered and after finding the new Ice>link canceled it and ran out to Best Buy and got it. I had installed in just a couple of seconds. True it just ran over the back seat and sat in the cup holder but at least I could use it til I had time to get it run properly.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Salt and Pepper
1st Gear
Nano question

Originally Posted by C4
I have the OEM MINI iPod adaptor, so my black 4GB Nano tucks away neatly inside the glovebox compartment. Since the iPod is set automatically to external control mode once it is hooked up to the adaptor, there is no need for me to keep it outside. Also the adaptor charges the Nano, eliminating the need to have additional power cables. I like it. Nice and clean

I never leave my iPod inside the car because Apple warns that high interior temperatures may damage the iPod. Since the Nano is so small and lightweight, I just put it in my shirt pocket.

I personally don't like to have the iPod in plain view. It is an invitation for thiefs to smash your window. No thanks.

PS: My only caveat with this setup is that the song/artist/album info is not displayed in the stereo. However, there is the likehood MINI will release a firmware update that will allow to display these tags in the future.
Does your mini have the multi-function steering wheel and do the controls work okay with the Nano? How long have you had your Nano...do you know what software version you have? I just got one for Christmas but haven't got my mini yet and was curious as to how it's going to work. Did you have to use a docking adaptor or does it plug straight into the port? As you can tell, I don't know a thing about it and any answers from someone who is already using this would be appreciated!

Old 12-28-2005, 03:42 PM
sccooper
1st Gear
My install

I have an AUX input installed up under the AC where it can't be seen and a Belkin car charger that was a headphone output with a gain on the plug so I have a very short 6" cord from the 12V outlet on the Belkin to the AUX input and the Belkin cord wrapped around the downtube and into the bottom of the foam iPod holder sitting in the stock cup holder. I actually got the iPod holder for $4 on clearance at RadioShack. I love the setup because I can easily see the iPod and change songs and the foam holder holds it at just the perfect angle and it doesn't move around.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:35 PM
blalor
6th Gear
Kinda off-topic, but I just got one of these C6 Manufacturing Nano cases for my (wife's) Nano. It is *sharp*. I'll do a little review on my site when I get some more time.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Show Your iPod Installation