Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Show Your iPod Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 02:23 PM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Show Your iPod Installation

Now I have a new car and a new iPod setup.
Go to THIS page and scroll down to my post.

Hey, guys I thought it will be interesting to see how we install iPods in our MINIs. I personally tested more than 5 solutions, but ended up custom building an iPod holder for my MCSa.

I love my 60GB iPod Photo and bought one of the best cases in the market, Vaja case from Argentina. It protects the screen and the wheel as well, so I don't have to take out my iPod from the case in order to use it. I kept looking around to find an adjustable in-car iPod solution that fits to Vaja case – couldn't find any. There are one or two holders that will fit, but you have to connect the cable and then place the iPod or vice versa, plus non of the holders come with built in dock connector. So my goal was to simplify it. I mean just snap the iPod in and play, without taking it out from its case.

Here what I did. I used the cup holder came with my MINI and a cell phone/iPod holder for this purpose (unfortunately don't remember the brand, but you might recognize it in the photo).

To make it short, I spent more than 8 hours designing and building a completely new holder with built in iPod dock. Its placement is perfect for me, since I am using MINI iPod adapter and don't need to see its display (not so happy though). I just snap it in and that's it. I can disassemble the holder and free the connector cable in 30 seconds if I need. There is only one bolt that holds it. In general this could be installed in any car and be adjustable to any size of iPod or case. Check it out, guys!

Attached Thumbnails Show Your iPod Installation-yegor_mini_ipod2.jpg   Show Your iPod Installation-yegor_mini_ipod1.jpg  

Last edited by MINIyegor; 11-02-2006 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Check Out the New Installation on Page 6!
Old 10-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Call
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make me one and I'll buy it. I serious.

Old 10-14-2005, 05:49 PM
schooner2
4th Gear
Here is my custom Ice Link hook up

I like how its down out of the way so no one can hit it and i can get to it at stop lights for changes

Attached Thumbnails Show Your iPod Installation-picture-011-2.jpg  
Old 10-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Jayar
3rd Gear
Here's mine.

Attached Thumbnails Show Your iPod Installation-wheel.jpg   Show Your iPod Installation-night.jpg  
Old 10-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Darth_Cooper
3rd Gear
Here is what mine looks like. We mounted the iPod on the left hand down tube since I wanted to keep my cup holder for the Decaf, Venti, Non-Fat, No Whip Mochas I love so much!

Attached Thumbnails Show Your iPod Installation-dscf0002sm.jpg   Show Your iPod Installation-dscf0003sm.jpg  
Old 10-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Jayar
3rd Gear
BTW, that's a custom bracket I had made out of aluminum. Attaches using tach bolts.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:15 PM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Call
Make me one and I'll buy it. I serious.
I'd like to, but I can't manufacture this yet, so it'll be too expensive if I custom build another one.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:17 PM
MINIyegor
3rd Gear
They look really cool guys. Thanks for posting!!!

Old 11-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Bump!

I'm picking up a 5G Ipod very soon and really need to see alot of the availible mounting solutions.

I'm trying to get a very clean and stable mount which shows as little wire as possible.

Jayar whats your look like when the Ipod isn't mounted?

This would also be a great sticky post since Ipods are so popular with MINI's

Old 11-06-2005, 05:47 AM
Aqualung
4th Gear
Here's mine w/ the Panavise mount (technically for a mobile phone).

http://www.mini2.com/galleries/showg...0/ppuser/11982

Just updated it to show my 5G 60GB video iPod (black) working fine.

Those Vaja cases sure are sweet (but $$$), I just got one for my Blackberry 7100g....waiting to see what the 5G case looks like

Old 11-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Wonderdrug
1st Gear
I finally took some pictures of my iPod install (original 40G iPod Photo). Please see my gallery.

The install is based off of the following components:

- Belkin TuneDock cradle
- Sakar iConcepts iPod Car Charger (FireWire)
- PocketDock FireWire/Line Out adapter
- Aux Input adapter
- Apple FireWire cable (for charging)
- A bunch of nylon cable ties

Old 11-10-2005, 11:54 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schooner2
I like how its down out of the way so no one can hit it and i can get to it at stop lights for changes
What is that dock? How can I get one?

Old 11-10-2005, 12:38 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dickdavid
What is that dock? How can I get one?
AFAIK, that "dock" is the IceLink Plus dock. Looks very much like ours.

I actually did not mount our Ice Link. I have planned on, but my wife & I both like it loose....we tuck it under the radio between teh downtubes. Makes it easy for pass or driver to pick it up & change songs..

Old 11-10-2005, 01:41 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alpine iPod adapter being used, hooked thru the CD changer port on the CDA9851

Old 11-10-2005, 01:51 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear

Right now I have just the aux port in my glovebox. I just won a bid on the belkin piece from ebay $12 shipped, should be here in a few days. Oh, and I plan on getting rednwhites passenger side parcel shelf along...cuz its so cool :P

Old 11-11-2005, 10:36 AM
sacpwrguy7
1st Gear
Icelink & bracket on left downtube

keeps the cup holder away from my iPod

Old 11-12-2005, 04:52 AM
Aqualung
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFIT

Right now I have just the aux port in my glovebox. I just won a bid on the belkin piece from ebay $12 shipped, should be here in a few days. Oh, and I plan on getting rednwhites passenger side parcel shelf along...cuz its so cool :P
what's the strip between your iPod and the bank of toggle switches?

Old 11-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Jayar
3rd Gear
I'll get a pic of it without the iPod mounted, but here's another shot that shows it a bit closer. You can pretty much imagine what it looks like without the iPod in it...just an empty aluminum box...very clean. The new iPod Video would be pretty cool there too, but it's a little wider than my Gen3.

The cord is not attached in the pic because I didn't have the iPod/MINI adapter at the time. But the holder is notched so it fits just right.

JR

Attached Thumbnails Show Your iPod Installation-side.jpg  
Old 11-13-2005, 11:37 AM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Defi Gauge Controller

Originally Posted by Aqualung
what's the strip between your iPod and the bank of toggle switches?

Old 11-13-2005, 12:20 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
I prefer to keep my iPod where no one can see it so I don't have to worry about it when I get out of the car and I don't want it cluttering up the passenger cabin. But I also wanted it where I could get to it very easily, so I have the cable coming to my Euro Parcel Shelf and I just have it sitting on the shelf along with my sunglasses. You can't see it at all from outside the car and with the rubber mat that comes with the parcel shelf, it doesn't move at all. I even forgot to take it out at an auto-x once and it still didn't move

Old 11-14-2005, 01:19 PM
C4
Banned
I have the OEM MINI iPod adaptor, so my black 4GB Nano tucks away neatly inside the glovebox compartment. Since the iPod is set automatically to external control mode once it is hooked up to the adaptor, there is no need for me to keep it outside. Also the adaptor charges the Nano, eliminating the need to have additional power cables. I like it. Nice and clean

I never leave my iPod inside the car because Apple warns that high interior temperatures may damage the iPod. Since the Nano is so small and lightweight, I just put it in my shirt pocket.

I personally don't like to have the iPod in plain view. It is an invitation for thiefs to smash your window. No thanks.

PS: My only caveat with this setup is that the song/artist/album info is not displayed in the stereo. However, there is the likehood MINI will release a firmware update that will allow to display these tags in the future.

Old 11-14-2005, 01:22 PM
fj0
5th Gear
Alpine CDA-9853
Alpine KCA-420i
iPod 60GB Color

Old 11-14-2005, 04:39 PM
ja ME s
2nd Gear
anyone seen the drive + play from harmon kardon yet? It looks like it might be a nice way to keep the ipod out of sight, display song info, choose by artist/playlist/whatever, plus charge the ipod, etc.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx

I'm thinking that you could mount the display on the steering column and the control **** somewhere a little out of sight that you could control by feel.

anyone seen/tried this yet. i still have another 3 weeks to wait for the mini so i'm still contemplating what is the best option for me for integration.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:22 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
that thing is cool, man. I will search it more

Originally Posted by ja ME s
anyone seen the drive + play from harmon kardon yet? It looks like it might be a nice way to keep the ipod out of sight, display song info, choose by artist/playlist/whatever, plus charge the ipod, etc.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx

I'm thinking that you could mount the display on the steering column and the control **** somewhere a little out of sight that you could control by feel.

anyone seen/tried this yet. i still have another 3 weeks to wait for the mini so i'm still contemplating what is the best option for me for integration.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:29 PM
ncdave
5th Gear
Here's mine.:smile:

Attached Thumbnails Show Your iPod Installation-p7260143.jpg   Show Your iPod Installation-p7260144.jpg   Show Your iPod Installation-p7260146.jpg  

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Show Your iPod Installation