Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Show Your iPod Installation

Old 01-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Minut
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIyegor
Hey guys!

Harman Kardon announced an update to its Drive+Play. It is now with color display and wireless controller. There are no detailes yet, but you can check it out HERE.

Alpine also came up with a cool looking in-car iPod solution. They don't mention though, if it is possible to change the illumination color. Everything else looks very good. You can find general info HERE.
No wonder the current D+P dropped to $79 on amazon.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:58 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
According to Harman, “Drive + Play 2 is easily installed in any make and model automobile using an auxiliary line connection, hardwired FM connection or included wireless FM transmitter,” with the wireless FM transmitter and 3.5mm cable-based audio hub included in the core package. Hardwired connections will require additional installation expertise, but be aided by an included hard-wire harness capable of concealing the hub and cables. It will be priced at $400 - twice the cost of its predecessor - and is planned for Spring 2007 availability.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:50 AM
MisterMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
According to Harman, “Drive + Play 2 is easily installed in any make and model automobile using an auxiliary line connection, hardwired FM connection or included wireless FM transmitter,” with the wireless FM transmitter and 3.5mm cable-based audio hub included in the core package. Hardwired connections will require additional installation expertise, but be aided by an included hard-wire harness capable of concealing the hub and cables. It will be priced at $400 - twice the cost of its predecessor - and is planned for Spring 2007 availability.
Will it work with 1st generation ipod Nano's?

Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 AM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by MisterMINI
Will it work with 1st generation ipod Nano's?
It should - but $400?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 PM
MisterMINI
2nd Gear
It should - but $400?
I know. $400 is outrageous and I don't think there will be too many takers at that price. I'll just wait until the price drops.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:06 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want an aftermarket CD as I have an outboard amp to use and want to avoid a LOC. Any suggestions for red/amber display, steering wheel integration and most importantly, competent iPod control for a 5G 30gb model?

Old 01-10-2007, 04:45 PM
MisterMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Patagonian GT
I want an aftermarket CD as I have an outboard amp to use and want to avoid a LOC. Any suggestions for red/amber display, steering wheel integration and most importantly, competent iPod control for a 5G 30gb model?
Nakamichi make a quality product that has the closest look to the stock mini unit.
http://www.nakamichi.com/flash.html

Old 01-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Murmini
3rd Gear
This is what I did for the iPod install - been working very well ever since.
http://www.murmini.com/articles/2006...alling-an-ipod

Old 01-12-2007, 07:35 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by MisterMINI
Nakamichi make a quality product that has the closest look to the stock mini unit.
http://www.nakamichi.com/flash.html
1) Nak is defunct in the US (leaving eBay dealers as the main source) and 2) no unit has ipod control and 3) Nak's quality of late is suspect

Old 01-16-2007, 05:32 PM
MisterMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Patagonian GT
1) Nak is defunct in the US (leaving eBay dealers as the main source) and 2) no unit has ipod control and 3) Nak's quality of late is suspect
Oh! I guess I was wrong.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:41 PM
PGT
Banned
don't get me wrong, I love Nak, but it's not a smart buy right now

Old 01-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Cherry2005
3rd Gear
I'm perfectly happy with my Drive + Play. Don't necessarily want the $400 unit blaring through my windscreen, "Break in & take me!" I'll wait until the price drops to under $200, then we'll see if I think I just hafta have it.

It does bring to light, however, that I may choose not to hardwire it in afterall - may just run the already-long-enough cable through to the boot and plug it in there.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:25 AM
billwmini
Neutral
I've installed the Drive and Play in my 2006 and am very happy. However the display is a throwback to 1980 monitors. Does anyone know how to convert the display so it appears with an orange display. I've tried various plastic filters but can't get a satisfactory look. Is there a way to change LED screens and replace the HK with an orange one?

Old 02-14-2007, 07:59 AM
channel419
Neutral
There is this MOD site but not sure what kind of LEDs are in the HK Drive+Play. Its way over priced but may be able to install your self with some electrical/solder knowlege. Just hope they are not those tricky right angle LEDs.

http://www.ipodmods.com/shop/1013-ha...-play-mod.html

Old 02-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Been meaning to post this for a while... but here it is! I'm using the DICE module. Unfortunately though, I purchased the DICE before I realized that an adapter existed for connecting the DICE behind the radio, so I used the boot CD-changer adapter. This is unfortunate because I wanted a 'pro' look to the install with *no* exposed wires anywhere. So, I took out the back seats, back right side panel, passenger kick panel next to the seat, glove box, down tubes, and the center console to install and hide the wire! Overkill? Yeah, probably, but that's half the fun!

And, since I already had the center console removed, I bought from a local MINI dealership the $3 part that lights the cigarette lighter in the '02-'04 MINIs, and installed it. It was the part, about two inches of wire, a terminating end, and about 5 minutes worth of effort to relight the lighter! It makes a absolute difference in the appearance of the MINI at night. Definitely something that shouldn't have been removed for the '05-'06s.

Anyway, back to the iPod install, I ran the cable from the boot to the DICE unit hiding underneath the head unit, then ran the iPod interface cable from the DICE unit, down under the carpet, up through the center console, and through a hole I drilled through the right downtube. I 'finished' the hole by installing a rubber gromit from Lowe's.

You can kinda see the hole that the cable is ran though and the light from the cig lighter. You can go to my Flickr page for more pics and details here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/psbales...7594539650530/

-Paul!

Old 02-16-2007, 04:14 PM
tom @ eas
Banned
Originally Posted by Paul!
Been meaning to post this for a while... but here it is! I'm using the DICE module. Unfortunately though, I purchased the DICE before I realized that an adapter existed for connecting the DICE behind the radio, so I used the boot CD-changer adapter. This is unfortunate because I wanted a 'pro' look to the install with *no* exposed wires anywhere. So, I took out the back seats, back right side panel, passenger kick panel next to the seat, glove box, down tubes, and the center console to install and hide the wire! Overkill? Yeah, probably, but that's half the fun!

And, since I already had the center console removed, I bought from a local MINI dealership the $3 part that lights the cigarette lighter in the '02-'04 MINIs, and installed it. It was the part, about two inches of wire, a terminating end, and about 5 minutes worth of effort to relight the lighter! It makes a absolute difference in the appearance of the MINI at night. Definitely something that shouldn't have been removed for the '05-'06s.

Anyway, back to the iPod install, I ran the cable from the boot to the DICE unit hiding underneath the head unit, then ran the iPod interface cable from the DICE unit, down under the carpet, up through the center console, and through a hole I drilled through the right downtube. I 'finished' the hole by installing a rubber gromit from Lowe's.

You can kinda see the hole that the cable is ran though and the light from the cig lighter. You can go to my Flickr page for more pics and details here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/psbales...7594539650530/

-Paul!
Great install - nice and clean!

Old 02-17-2007, 06:16 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
Great install - nice and clean!
Thanks!

What I would love to do for a truly 'wire-free' install is get a downtube that has the iPod cradle integrated into it, and the wire running through it! I seem to remember one existing somewhere, but I can't find any evidence of it.

-Paul!

Old 02-17-2007, 09:36 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul!
Thanks for the tip! I've wanted to do this for my '06 but wasn't sure because someone reported there was neither a place for a bulb nor wiring for it. I found this on RealOEM:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=35&hl=1
I'm assuming you got the item #5 bulb socket (p/n 61346915065). Does this part come with the bulb? And how did you wire it? According to the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, it would normally be connected to a gray/red wire which carries switch light illumination, but I don't know whether this wire was removed from the harness for an '06.

Last edited by rkw; 04-28-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:17 AM
MOE4me
3rd Gear
You should just be able to jump it to the pos (+) lead on the cig lighter, & if the unit is not grounded to the cig lighter case, a ground jumper would also be needed.

If they removed the light, they prob. also removed the wire in the harness as a cost savings.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Thanks for the tip! I've wanted to do this for my '06 but wasn't sure because someone reported there was neither a place for a bulb nor wiring for it. I found this on RealOEM:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=35&hl=1
I'm assuming you got the item #5 bulb socket (p/n 61346915065). Does this part come with the bulb? And how did you wire it? According to the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, it would normally be connected to a gray/red wire which carries switch light illumination, but I don't know whether this wire was removed from the harness for an '06.

Originally Posted by MOE4me
You should just be able to jump it to the pos (+) lead on the cig lighter, & if the unit is not grounded to the cig lighter case, a ground jumper would also be needed.

If they removed the light, they prob. also removed the wire in the harness as a cost savings.
rkw, MOE4me is correct. The wiring was removed, but it was very simple replacing it. As for the rest of the assembly, parts #1 & #2 are the same parts as '04 and earlier. I purchased #5, which included the bulb. It literally just snaps on to the assembly.

For the wire, I just ran about 2" wire. One end was terminated to the light socket, and for the other end I just exposed a bit of wire, inserted it into the little hole on the positive tab on the cig lighter, and simply shoved the standard connector over it. Worked perfectly!

-Paul!

Old 02-17-2007, 02:04 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
First of all, I apologize for veering the thread off-topic, but this is good information. Paul, thanks for posting about it. At $3 for the part, I'll get two and I think it should also work for the lighter socket in the boot.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:37 PM
firemedic_722
Neutral
This may have already been answered but I didnt feel like fishing through 7 or 8 pages of post to see if it had been. If it has, I apollogize.

I have recently had the iPod adapter installed in my MC and I love it. I have a 2002 MC, and we installed it in the cd changer port on the back of the stereo. When I play my iPod all that displays is cd number-track number (i.e. 6-94 ).

This is my first Mini, and was wondering if/when the stereos were upgraded to display the song title/artist on the display of the stereo, or is that possible? I would really love to be able to see a display on my radio of what song is being played, but do I need to upgrade my stereo to do that or what needs to be done?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please send me a private message if you have any information.

I keep my iPod in the glove compartment and it stays rather cool with the air vent that dumps out into the glove box..... I still cant get over that.... a Mini Refrigerator!!!

Becky

Old 03-06-2007, 12:50 PM
MaxN
Reverse Gear
Originally Posted by firemedic_722
This may have already been answered but I didnt feel like fishing through 7 or 8 pages of post to see if it had been. If it has, I apollogize.

I have recently had the iPod adapter installed in my MC and I love it. I have a 2002 MC, and we installed it in the cd changer port on the back of the stereo. When I play my iPod all that displays is cd number-track number (i.e. 6-94 ).

This is my first Mini, and was wondering if/when the stereos were upgraded to display the song title/artist on the display of the stereo, or is that possible? I would really love to be able to see a display on my radio of what song is being played, but do I need to upgrade my stereo to do that or what needs to be done?
I take it that you had the standard MINI/BMW iPod adapter installed ?

If so, you are out of luck, the factory unit is especially pathetic. I have no idea what BMW where thinking when they created the unit, but it was obviously something along the lines of

'I have very few songs on my iPod, I always know who/what is playing'. As the standard CD Changer only displays the CD number and track number, so the iPod interface does the same.

My wife has the same interface in her BMW and I utterly hate it, she has a post-it note under the passenger sun visor to remind her what play-list is what

1 - R&B
2 - Soul
3 - Pop
4 - Rock
5 - Max's stuff

Even then with ~2000 songs in each playlist, it really is an exercise in futility to try and figure out what you are listening to, especially when it is in random mode !

There are several after-market solutions that allow song ID display, but I understand that you need a much newer head unit.

Possibly the best solution is to ditch the MINI head unit and go aftermarket - I recently installed a really fantastic sounding system in my son's Nissan that includes iPod and XM integration (full), plus an additional AUX input, steering wheel controls, amplifier, new speakers and a sub for about $650 from crutchfield.com - the installation took an entire day working slowly.

I am on the edge of adding a similar system to my MR2, then maybe I will attack the MINI in the summer.......

Old 03-06-2007, 01:22 PM
kissmys
3rd Gear
FYI, I ditched my OEM iPod adaptor last week (same frustrations as listed by MaxN) and installed the DICE auxilary system. It is fantastic. I get Album, Artist and Song Title on both my radio and navigation screens. The steering wheel controls along with the radio controls allow for song skipping (or reversing) and volume selection. The unit was under $150 shipped. I keep my iPod Nano discreetly parked on my Euro Parcel Shelf where I have easy access if needed, but it doesn't show to passers by.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:10 PM
blalor
6th Gear
You need at least an '05 head unit to get the text on there from the DICE or ice>Link: Plus adapters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Show Your iPod Installation