JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Air Filter Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:15 PM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Air Filter Opinions

Hello JCW guys (and gals?),
I am looking to put a better flowing air filter in my 06. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Pipercross air filter that ECS sells. I looked them up and they seem to have a pretty good racing pedigree. I have been looking on the site and I can't find anyone who offers an opinion on the brand.

I have also looked at the Amsoil, K&N, and Alta. I like the double layers of the Pipercross.

Has anyone used, or is using, the Pipercross filter?

Old 12-11-2018, 03:38 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I have no opinion on your request, but it is not a great idea to use any oiled air filter, as the maf will get clogged with dust and cause codes and power issues.
So whatever system you go for, get the dry type filter!

Old 12-12-2018, 05:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Pipercross has been used on MINIs since back in the early MINI challenge days of Gen 1s, they are a very light oil foam filter compared to other oiled filters. I have not really heard any MAF issues with those, Just watch how you oil the filter, I have the JCW factory sound kit from MINI for my R52 that has a BMC factory oiled filter. Thats correct MINI had an oil filter from the factory for that kit. You have to watch not to over oil the filter.

More info here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...enge-cars.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ir-filter.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-12-2018, 06:48 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
most things are a OK in moderation

It is so easy to being dogmatic and that including unfound opinion on oiled filters. Certainly too much oil in the intake tract is seldom a good thing. But your unadulterated Mini intake track is never oil-free. Properly oiled, oiled air filter should not cause problem as there is more oil introduced by the PCV alone. I would advice to stay away from any foam type filter however unless you are very vigilant with the condition of the air filter. Most foam element fail in a rather catastrophic manner, and bits of foam is not a diet your Mini's engine appreciates.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Thanks for all the advice. I wasn't sure what kind of flow Minis like. I have Fabspeed filters on my 930, they are similar to K&N and the engine loves them. My 67 has a draw through turbo with a Holley 650cfm on top. I found that set-up ran better with a single layer dry foam filter, rather than a K&N. With the small displacement of the Mini's 1.6 and the rather small volume of the intake manifold, I was wondering if the engine would prefer a more "restrictive" filter. I just want to avoid flat spots in lower RPMs. I have never had a supercharged engine before, just turbos!

Old 12-12-2018, 04:15 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
It is so easy to being dogmatic and that including unfound opinion on oiled filters. Certainly too much oil in the intake tract is seldom a good thing. But your unadulterated Mini intake track is never oil-free. Properly oiled, oiled air filter should not cause problem as there is more oil introduced by the PCV alone. I would advice to stay away from any foam type filter however unless you are very vigilant with the condition of the air filter. Most foam element fail in a rather catastrophic manner, and bits of foam is not a diet your Mini's engine appreciates.
Here is the deal: oiled air filters use a very sticky oil, which is nothing like the engine crank case oil. If you use too much oil, after cleaning, it atomizes on the maf and gets coated with dirt particles and inhibits the maf efficiency and I see many that throw a host of codes, showing too rich, too lean, which then throws cat codes. I do not want to argue this point, so use whatever you think is best! Just putting in my experiences.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Never had an issue with K&N filters from the oil. Not really all that difficult to judiciously apply the oil after cleaning. Now that being said, don't really think they do much for performance. They claim up to 4 hp, I'd love to see the hoops they went through to prove that.

Currently using an AFE dry filter, makes me feel better, doubt it does anything performance wise. I didn't pop the filter in and go wow, we are really moving faster than ever.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:54 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We've used the pipercross and other foam filters like the ITG and frankly they just fall apart over time so I recommend avoiding them.

Since you just want a stock replacement filter I'd go with the Afe Dry filter
https://www.waymotorworks.com/dry-pa...-cooper-s.html

My second option would be the K&N filter
https://www.waymotorworks.com/k-n-dr...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-13-2018, 03:58 PM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Well, if the Pipercross filters fall apart, I definitely want to stay away from that!

I looked at some import racing websites and people are using Amsoil filters on a lot of different builds, both forced induction and natural aspiration. That seems like a pretty good endorsement to me! I have decided to go that route. Unfortunately, neither ECS or Way Motor works sells it. I'm going to have to get it from Detroit Tuned. Hate to not support our sponsors...

Old 12-13-2018, 04:33 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Do these upgrades have an advantage over the OEM filter? I just replaced mine with stock, but I have a base engine.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:41 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
If using a high quality foam filter, it is imperative that you clean it with the method and cleaning agent specified. To do otherwise will cause the element to disintegrate.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:01 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaughn
Thanks for all the advice. I wasn't sure what kind of flow Minis like. I have Fabspeed filters on my 930, they are similar to K&N and the engine loves them. My 67 has a draw through turbo with a Holley 650cfm on top. I found that set-up ran better with a single layer dry foam filter, rather than a K&N. With the small displacement of the Mini's 1.6 and the rather small volume of the intake manifold, I was wondering if the engine would prefer a more "restrictive" filter. I just want to avoid flat spots in lower RPMs. I have never had a supercharged engine before, just turbos!
I would bet Fabspeed uses China special copies of branded air filters, then brands them themselves. A lot of their exhausts are made in China.

I run K&N filters on almost everything I own and plan to keep, including a K&N inside the JCW airbox on my R53. I've never had any trouble with them on all kinds of motorcycles and cars/trucks. It becomes economical after a while, I just keep buying the cleaner and oil for all my vehicles.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:33 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I use a K&N drop in panel filter too. I know there is the oft stated worry about oil. But I haven’t had any issues which any car with a K&N filter. As said above, economics plays a part, because you only have to buy the filter once. And I already have several sets of cleaner and fresh oil. You do want apply the oil sparingly, for sure, but that’s kind of common sense. My Mini does breathe a bit better with it over stock, but no real noticeable difference in power or anything really. Just my wallet mostly.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:02 AM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Thanks MrG for answering my question. When you say it breathes better, what attribute can you detect? Sound? RPM?

I also like the idea of not having to shell out $35 for a filter every 20K miles.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:15 AM
Jaughn
1st Gear
Derek86,
I had no idea about Fabspeed using Chinese knockoffs!!! They are a favorite of the Porsche Club in Orlando...I bought quite a bit of stuff from them.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:22 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidogger
Thanks MrG for answering my question. When you say it breathes better, what attribute can you detect? Sound? RPM?

I also like the idea of not having to shell out $35 for a filter every 20K miles.
It does give you a little bit more turbo sound, not nearly like putting an open cone filter would, but a tiny bit. I think I may have noticed a bit more low end pull, but it may just be me.
By breathing better, I meant .... well it does, lol. It was mostly just something I could feel. It just seemed to run a little more even and felt strong after the change.... that said the old one was a bit dirty, but just looking at them, you can see that it is less restrictive.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaughn
Derek86,
I had no idea about Fabspeed using Chinese knockoffs!!! They are a favorite of the Porsche Club in Orlando...I bought quite a bit of stuff from them.
I mean, I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised by it. Many businesses buy products from China and re-brand them. They aren't buying Ebay quality parts, but suppliers who have higher manufacturing standards make a lot of US market aftermarket exhausts

Old 12-26-2018, 10:57 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We've used the pipercross and other foam filters like the ITG and frankly they just fall apart over time so I recommend avoiding them.

Since you just want a stock replacement filter I'd go with the Afe Dry filter
https://www.waymotorworks.com/dry-pa...-cooper-s.html

My second option would be the K&N filter
https://www.waymotorworks.com/k-n-dr...-cooper-s.html
I agree. I have/had a pipercross on my 03' JCW. A few months ago I pulled the filter off to clean it, and the foam just fell apart. Keep in mind, it was probably 10 years old...but still.

I replaced it with a K&N filter...so far so good. I've ran K&N's on lots of vehicles, bikes, boats, etc, etc.....never had any issues with oil messing with the MAF sensors.....I think the problem comes from guys who wash them, and they over oil the crap out of them.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:13 AM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
On one hand -

Foam filters -
Note, that this was a few years back...
All tests were done by running two, back to back dyno runs to verify each.
I watched first hand as a lightly oiled foam filter work fine to about 3500rpm (Yamaha 1000cc sport bike race engine), then loose power above that, by chocking off the inlet system. This was verified by running the engine without...filters on two dyno runs.
Without changing ANYTHING...but the filters, K&N filters were installed. The power continued to climb all the way to the redline (11500rpm), with just a couple of HP loss from no filters, above 9800rpm.

Cotton filters -
In the past...I was not impressed by the cotton filter design. I talked to the K&N people at length about this on a couple of occasions. When you can "see direct sunlight" thru the filter...that is a bad thing for any "filtering" action...period.
I have an EBR (Erik Buell Racing) 1190cc sport bike. It comes from the factory with a K&N (panel) filter. I've actually been impressed on how well that it actually DOES stop the fine dirt (as checked with a 10x glass and white cotton gloves).
So...this filter has changed my mind on current cotton filters. As long as NO direct sun light can be seen thru a fresh filter, its "filtering" action, should be fine. Although not as good as a paper filter, the paper filters will also block airflow above given RPM's (depending on the brand).

Mike

Old 12-27-2018, 11:29 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OCR
On one hand -

Foam filters -
Note, that this was a few years back...
All tests were done by running two, back to back dyno runs to verify each.
I watched first hand as a lightly oiled foam filter work fine to about 3500rpm (Yamaha 1000cc sport bike race engine), then loose power above that, by chocking off the inlet system. This was verified by running the engine without...filters on two dyno runs.
Without changing ANYTHING...but the filters, K&N filters were installed. The power continued to climb all the way to the redline (11500rpm), with just a couple of HP loss from no filters, above 9800rpm.

Cotton filters -
In the past...I was not impressed by the cotton filter design. I talked to the K&N people at length about this on a couple of occasions. When you can "see direct sunlight" thru the filter...that is a bad thing for any "filtering" action...period.
I have an EBR (Erik Buell Racing) 1190cc sport bike. It comes from the factory with a K&N (panel) filter. I've actually been impressed on how well that it actually DOES stop the fine dirt (as checked with a 10x glass and white cotton gloves).
So...this filter has changed my mind on current cotton filters. As long as NO direct sun light can be seen thru a fresh filter, its "filtering" action, should be fine. Although not as good as a paper filter, the paper filters will also block airflow above given RPM's (depending on the brand).

Mike
This is good info and very interesting too! Thanks!

Old 12-15-2019, 09:16 PM
shimaze
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy

This is good info
This whole thread is USELESS without part numbers! So NO, there is no good information contained anywhere in this thread!

Old 12-16-2019, 05:00 PM
Black Forest
4th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
BMW/Mini OE part Number:
Current No.: 13717558382 Prior No.: 13720395826

The following users liked this post:
MINI_42 (11-20-2022)