JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW Air filter X JCW Air filter tunning kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:38 PM
andre lobe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Air filter X JCW Air filter tunning kit

Hi

I just bought a JCW and sounds really great BUT i saw at the dealer 1 MINI copeer S with JCW tunning kit.
Why the sound from the air filter is different than my JCW?
Any idea?

Thanks

ANdré

Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Sanderskog
4th Gear
Originally Posted by andre lobe
Hi

I just bought a JCW and sounds really great BUT i saw at the dealer 1 MINI copeer S with JCW tunning kit.
Why the sound from the air filter is different than my JCW?
Any idea?

Thanks

ANdré
The kit has a cone filter whereas the factory JCW car has a panel. Airflow from the cone would be better. It drives me nuts that they didn't offer the cone filter on the factory JCW. I'd love to hear input from those that have added it.

Todd

Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I bit more throaty, but still very docile in my opinion. Since it's fully enclosed, I think that would be expected. Keep in mind though, mines on an MCS not a JCW, so I'm not sure that would pose a difference at the air intake. I also swapped out my OEM JCW filter for an Amsoil EaAU reusable dry cone filter I got through Detroit Tuned.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:36 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 10Zero
I bit more throaty, but still very docile in my opinion. Since it's fully enclosed, I think that would be expected. Keep in mind though, mines on an MCS not a JCW, so I'm not sure that would pose a difference at the air intake. I also swapped out my OEM JCW filter for an Amsoil EaAU reusable dry cone filter I got through Detroit Tuned.

Do you have to oil that filter like a K&N? I'm getting ready to do JCW stage 1 on my Clubman? I don't want the oil fouling out my MAS sensor.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Originally Posted by slimjimtell
Do you have to oil that filter like a K&N? I'm getting ready to do JCW stage 1 on my Clubman? I don't want the oil fouling out my MAS sensor.
Nope, no oil...it's a dry reusable. Not sure if it's the same thing as sold through Mini Madness ($99), but this one is an Amsoil EaAU sold through Detroit Tuned for $60 (Though they don't list it as Amsoil, just a JCW replacement filter...but it says Amsoil on the endcap).

Below is a pic of it before I installed, you can see Amsoil on the end of it. Here's a link to read about theses filters:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx

Attached Thumbnails JCW Air filter X JCW Air filter tunning kit-dscn0156.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 03:28 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
10Zero,
Have you had any issues with the Amsoil filter coming detached inside the air box.
I have read where this filter doesn't fit very well and has a tendency to become detached from the mounting point.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
I have the same intake as 10Zero and I have no issues with the filter comming off and I got my filter from a local Amsoil distributor for $56 plus tax (P/N 3570). I agree with 10Zero on his description of this intake and filter.

Last edited by Octane; 06-06-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Got the filter from detroit tuning...IT DOESN'T FIT!!

The JCW filter holds on by pressure applied by the opposite side of the filter...meaning it pushes it on to the housing and holds it on.

The Amsoil is too short and just falls off. Looks like I will have to retro something to get it to fit or just send it back.

Everyone who has one...be aware and check to make sure it has not fallen off.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:48 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
i got a mini mania one on sale for $50 and it fits perfect

Old 06-10-2011, 03:06 AM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
UPDATE: Amsoil Fitment is NOT good on the JCW Stage 1 Airbox.

You will need to do some modification to the box to make it fit and not fall off and flop around in the airbox.

You will need to add some fillers to get it snug, otherwise it will beat and bang around in the box. I installed mine last night and am going to drive it a day or so and take it back apart to see how it does. At this point, I will take some photos and or video to show how to retro the box. It's NOT a difficult thing if you can find something to get it to fit snug, otherwise, it WILL move around and come off the housing and leave you with NO filter attached.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
These are the ones that also fall off inside the airbox:

Alta foam filter
Mini madness (seems possible to retrofit this one as there can be anchoring points on both sides).

Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 AM
dez
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Performance wise, what is the difference between factory jcw cai and stage 1 box? Anyone have sound bites?

Old 06-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Mutley MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sanderskog
The kit has a cone filter whereas the factory JCW car has a panel. Airflow from the cone would be better. It drives me nuts that they didn't offer the cone filter on the factory JCW. I'd love to hear input from those that have added it.

Todd
I have noted this coming up a few times here and have commented on it before. I have a 2011 JCW as well as a MCS with a stage 1 JCW tuning kit. I noticed the same difference and thought I would try the stage 1 air box on my JCW. The result was a decrease in performance, it was easily felt so I swapped back to the JCW factory air box.

This got me wondering why, a pod type filter design is supposed to be more effecient. I think the answer is in the internal pipe work in the stage 1 air box, it is only 2 1/2" in diameter and about 1' long, pipe work the JCW factor air box does not have. This extra pipe work will add resistance to airflow that the factory box does not have.

If You have a look in the pic below you can see the size, shape and length of this internal piping.

So the theory is that this has to add a considerable resistance to flow in comparison to the factory JCW air box.

Now I do not have dyno results to prove this theory but I did try my theory out another way. I removed the pod filter and internal piping from the stage 1 air box and fitted a flat panel filter (stock paper) instead. Immediately I noticed an increase in throttle response and acceleration in the MCS with stage 1 kit.

In my opinion, the factory JCW air box out performs the stage 1 pod and I have left mine modified to take a panel filter.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:10 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Originally Posted by slimjimtell
UPDATE: Amsoil Fitment is NOT good on the JCW Stage 1 Airbox.

You will need to do some modification to the box to make it fit and not fall off and flop around in the airbox.

You will need to add some fillers to get it snug, otherwise it will beat and bang around in the box. I installed mine last night and am going to drive it a day or so and take it back apart to see how it does. At this point, I will take some photos and or video to show how to retro the box. It's NOT a difficult thing if you can find something to get it to fit snug, otherwise, it WILL move around and come off the housing and leave you with NO filter attached.
Strange...mine fits just fine without an issue. Mines been in for over 2000 miles now, and hasn't budged (and I have taken it off to just check).

When I installed it, I also noted about how it was a bit loose on the far end, even though the filter fit and stayed snug with the clamp on the hose end. Hence, what I did is something you can see in my picture of post #4. That end cap that screws on with 2 screws...the one with the "triangle" that fits into the V of the OEM filter? Yea, I just flipped it over and screwed it back down. That projecting triangle protudes a bit into the conical part of the filter, providing a "resting" point for the filter when it's right side up...a supporting finger basically that keeps the far end from sagging under any weight.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Jack$0n
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mutley MCS
I have noted this coming up a few times here and have commented on it before. I have a 2011 JCW as well as a MCS with a stage 1 JCW tuning kit. I noticed the same difference and thought I would try the stage 1 air box on my JCW. The result was a decrease in performance, it was easily felt so I swapped back to the JCW factory air box.

This got me wondering why, a pod type filter design is supposed to be more effecient. I think the answer is in the internal pipe work in the stage 1 air box, it is only 2 1/2" in diameter and about 1' long, pipe work the JCW factor air box does not have. This extra pipe work will add resistance to airflow that the factory box does not have.

If You have a look in the pic below you can see the size, shape and length of this internal piping.

So the theory is that this has to add a considerable resistance to flow in comparison to the factory JCW air box.

Now I do not have dyno results to prove this theory but I did try my theory out another way. I removed the pod filter and internal piping from the stage 1 air box and fitted a flat panel filter (stock paper) instead. Immediately I noticed an increase in throttle response and acceleration in the MCS with stage 1 kit.

In my opinion, the factory JCW air box out performs the stage 1 pod and I have left mine modified to take a panel filter.

Okay this is what everyone is basically telling me. 2011 stock JCW is better or at least almost the same performance

My question is ... what panel filter to use? Is some panel filters better than others?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:01 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
cheapest