JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Handsome Rob
we dont have anything here but cows and farmland. im still trying to find a good motoring road. I-80 is a long interstate of nothingness.
Ah... then the GP intercooler is what you need. A long interstate to test your top speed.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Maxicooper
Ah... then the GP intercooler is what you need. A long interstate to test your top speed.
i suppose I-80 is good for something after all.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:44 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tazio
The GP does hang a couple of rows off the back, where air can actually flow through. Not saying it will make much of a difference, just keeping it real.
I know that the GP does allow some air to flow through it, and that because it is bigger, it will take a little longer to heatsoak. But to keep it real...that 2-3" that it hangs over the spark plug wires is not enough to help you on a 20 minute track session, it would be no different then stock. I'd assume the thing would be heatsoaked after one autox run. Just cruising on the highway, it would probably be plenty to stay cool and hold power. Any prolonged amount of "on it" and its cooked.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AeroCooper
I know that the GP does allow some air to flow through it, and that because it is bigger, it will take a little longer to heatsoak. But to keep it real...that 2-3" that it hangs over the spark plug wires is not enough to help you on a 20 minute track session, it would be no different then stock. I'd assume the thing would be heatsoaked after one autox run. Just cruising on the highway, it would probably be plenty to stay cool and hold power. Any prolonged amount of "on it" and its cooked.
i dont do any autox, so i think that i will be ok. thanks for bringing it up though

Old 02-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
how about a rear sway bar? does anyone have any recommendations for that? unfortunately i cant get a jcw rear sway bar. i dont think i can anyway.
thanks again for everyones help on this thread.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
how about a rear sway bar? does anyone have any recommendations for that? unfortunately i cant get a jcw rear sway bar. i dont think i can anyway.
I'm running a H&R adjustable on the rear, and am happy with it after 80k miles. The adjustability is helpful, as I like the car twitchy for autocross, but oversteer on off ramps is kinda dramatic...

Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
just a quick update. i was given the ok from my wife about the gp intercooler.
1) JCW CAI--done 10/07
2) ALTA 15% PULLEY--next week
3) GP Intercooler--2-3 weeks (depending on shipping)
4) JCW Exhaust--further down the road
5) JCW Injectors w/ JCW software--further, further down the road
6) JCW Suspension--maybe after the exhaust (havent decided that yet)
7) Rear sway bar--maybe before the exhaust
8) ?--to far down the road

anyway, i did find on minspeed a 19mm rear sway bar for about $190.00 and its blue which would somewhat match the HB color

Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
everybody has some great ideas, including maxicooper. im still not for sure how i want to go about doing this, but i really appreciate everyones input. i think i changed my mind about doing the pulley. my father in law and i were talking and he told me that he could do it at our shop. so i think im going to get the jcw injectors, alta 15% pulley, plugs, wires, coil pack, and the jcw exhaust. i would also like to find the gp intercooler and eventually do the jcw suspension kit. i know morristown has that on sale now. unfortunately i dont the funds to get ALL of it done now. maybe i should start up a collection . anybody that would like to donate let me know!
Handsome Rob, your results may vary, but here's 2 cents.

I've a dealer installed JCW on an '04s with 92k miles.

As I am sure you know, the JCW I have has a special coating on the supercharger, some head work, and the exhaust. It was pricey and I had to swallow twice before committing.

When I did the research at the time, it seemed reasonable to me to conclude that the JCW pulley change (and the resulting increase in supercharger speed, pressure, and heat) stressed the stock supercharger at the Nurburgring where the testing was conducted. As you may know the old North Course has one of the longest straightaways in the world, only slightly shorter than the Mulsanne. This means their testing included running the car with wide open throttle at max revs for more than 20 seconds every lap.

But here's the thing...

Since the JCW moves power and torque (and this is primarily the pulley mind you) down into the lower ranges, I rarely wind the engine up unless in competition. I normally change up under 4k around town, and under 5k even when enjoying the car or entering traffic. Max torque is at 4k, and in 6th gear the car rolls from 80-120 in top gear without needing any downshift.

So you kinda get a tiny V8 effect, that for me keeps the revs down. My car on a DynoJet returns 169 wheel horsepower [17% is the standard number for flywheel to front wheel losses] or 198 at the flywheel.

Given that that's so, I'm not sure I'd worry too much about not having the supercharger coating, or the head work. I believe that they add top end performance and reliability, and I don't use the top end very often at all!

Right now my car pumps the same compression and returns the same mileage as it did after the kit installation at 666 miles. It has been stone reliable (touch wood) at all times, and over about 50 autocross events haven't affected it in any way that I or the dealer or Turner Motorsports can detect.

But as I said, your mileage might vary.

I suppose the real question is whether the dealer would keep the warranty in force with the pulley in, but not the other bits... That might be a worry. I reckon the service manager could legitimately be reluctant to replace a scorched blower under such circumstances.

Last edited by cmt52663; 02-11-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 AM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Luckily for Rob, the '05/'06 models used the same coating in the SC.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:07 AM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Do the pulley, injectors, exhaust, screw the intercooler, its been proven time after time that their isnt going to be that much improvement....save that money IMO

Jack

Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
The GP IC is a great addition but it is more about maintaining HP than making more HP... Just wish you could get one from Mini as the retail is less than, I believe $500.00. Just my 2 pennies...

Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimarks
The GP IC is a great addition but it is more about maintaining HP than making more HP... Just wish you could get one from Mini as the retail is less than, I believe $500.00. Just my 2 pennies...
yeah i wish i could get it from mini too. where im getting it is going to be about $700 with shipping. maintaining hp is a good thing

Old 02-11-2008, 11:46 AM
the platform
5th Gear
just a quick update. i was given the ok from my wife about the gp intercooler.
1) JCW CAI--done 10/07
2) ALTA 15% PULLEY--next week
3) GP Intercooler--2-3 weeks (depending on shipping)
4) JCW Exhaust--further down the road
5) JCW Injectors w/ JCW software--further, further down the road
6) JCW Suspension--maybe after the exhaust (havent decided that yet)
7) Rear sway bar--maybe before the exhaust
8) ?--to far down the road

anyway, i did find on minspeed a 19mm rear sway bar for about $190.00 and its blue which would somewhat match the HB color
2.LIGHT WHEELS/NON RUN FLAT TIRES!-now ditch the circa 1900 A.D. jon deere tractor tires
2a,2b,2c....pulley,rear sway,exhaust
3.HHHEEEAADDDEERRRR!cuz it sounds nasty
8.RMW head/Jan tune-my wish lst

Old 02-11-2008, 11:57 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
question for "The Platform"

I was just wondering how the drink prices are at the REAR UPPER STRESS BAR, 'cause that sounds like my kinda place!

(sorry...)

Old 02-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cmt52663
I was just wondering how the drink prices are at the REAR UPPER STRESS BAR, 'cause that sounds like my kinda place!

(sorry...)
it looks/sounds like they would be very expensive . i bet the obx header is one hell of a drink. now is that an ale or stout?

Old 02-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
for the ppl that have done there own pulley upgrade, which pulley tool did you use? i had ordered the deluxe pulley tool from outmotoring and today found out that the deluxe pulley tool is discontinued so i had to get the alta v2 pulley tool. has anyone worked with this tool before?

Old 02-11-2008, 02:57 PM
the platform
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cmt52663

(sorry...)
Yeah,my boot is kinda loneley w/out any back seat....gives me somethin else to look at in my rear view besides slower cars.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by the platform
Yeah,my boot is kinda loneley w/out any back seat....gives me somethin else to look at in my rear view besides slower cars.
how do ya like that rear seat delete?

Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
My first upgrade on my MCS will be the Hotchkis (aka H-Sport) 19mm rear bar. I choose it over H&R because of more adjustability (3 holes vs 2) and it is also known to not squeak. If it does squeak, its a lot easier to counter then if the H&R were to squeak.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:45 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Luvs my 19mm H-sport!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:02 PM
the platform
5th Gear
how do ya like that rear seat delete?
It's a great way to drop more weight,gain more room....go faster.
I love it.
Cheap upgrade.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 AM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
i think that im going to put a few things on hold. i just remembered that my car tags are due next month, so that burns up some of my mod budget . i am still doing the pulley, though.
i want to give a special shout out to the ppl at alta for helping me and hooking me up real nice. thanks to those at alta! much appreciated!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
i was just wondering if anybody has had morristown mini ever ship a JCW exhaust. it clearly states on there parts and accessories page that they will not ship it, but i was wondering if they will make exceptions.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
i was just wondering if anybody has had morristown mini ever ship a JCW exhaust. it clearly states on there parts and accessories page that they will not ship it, but i was wondering if they will make exceptions.
Nope, they do not ship the exhaust. I bought mine from them and have them installed as well.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
im alittle ways out of the way to just stop by and have them install it for me. i wish i was alittle closer. thats too bad cuz they have a really good deal on the JCW exhaust that no one will even touch.

Quick Reply: JCW Mods