JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:24 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any work on the head will completely blow the engine warranty, for sure. The pulley (and plugs), at least, is not going to realistically affect the warranty on anything but the supercharger.

Forget the bloody injectors for now. Your next engine upgrade after CAI and pulley (and plugs) should be an ECU (non-JCW) remap.

However, I also agree with others who recommend a rear sway bar for the next, most cost-effective upgrade. (And don't even Think about a front swaybar)

Old 02-10-2008, 12:29 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree, free flowing head is one of my next mods, but to get the most out of it you would want better exhaust. JCW flash recognizes the larger injectors and for me it works very well for a $100.00, UNTIL I can get to a Jan tune.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:29 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRick
Any work on the head will completely blow the engine warranty, for sure. The pulley (and plugs), at least, is not going to realistically affect the warranty on anything but the supercharger.
Speaking of plugs, make sure and torque them properly or that "blow" the warranty too

Old 02-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
is there any particular plugs that you recommend? what about recommendations on a rear sway bar? i do mainly in town driving. what about a front underside brace like the mini-madness?

Last edited by Handsome Rob; 02-10-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:38 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Handsome Rob
is there any particular plugs that you recommend?
I wouldn't change them at all unless you find a need...if you experience any pinging...which btw, if you do and the engine were to blow, the dealer might decide to deny warranty due to the pulley causing higher temps. I'm not trying to scare you as I have never heard of this happening with just the addition of the reduction pulley, but just throwing out a scenario of what dealer could do if something happened and they/MINI USA wanted to deny warranty coverage. If you're gonna mod, then do it. If you're not, then get a cupholder

Old 02-10-2008, 12:42 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Read this on the swaybar: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128161

It's one of the shorter threads with little to no BS

Old 02-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
ok, so no injectors, plugs, wires, or coil pack. just exhaust, pulley, cai, and rear sway bar. what about the gp intercooler that im looking for?

Old 02-10-2008, 12:49 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
If you think it's worth $700-800 and you're having issues with cooling then get it. Again, you're not going to get huge gains with it and you're not tracking the car (I think?), so I'd put that money to something else like lighter wheels and sticky tires.

*You might want to ask around and make sure it will fit an auto tranny car...I'd think it would, but some of the aftermarket coolers don't due to the auto's engine setting a little higher.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:58 PM
IamSMC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by msjulie33
Just curious - how much hp can an auto MINI take, vs the 6 speed?
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...igh+horsepower

Old 02-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
which rear sway bar would you recommend? would you also recommend a front underside brace? i would also like to do the JCW suspension sometime soon.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Marwan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by shooler
Not necessarily true. My local dealer will sell me JCW injectors all day long, but not the software (). It's ok though.
My dear, the ECU remap is just few commands that need to be applied to the same stock software, no changes or reloading. Those commands come on one of the installation instructions. I can send you the instructions as a PDF if you want.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Marwan
My dear, the ECU remap is just few commands that need to be applied to the same stock software, no changes or reloading. Those commands come on one of the installation instructions. I can send you the instructions as a PDF if you want.
what would i need to perform the remap?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:05 PM
suss1173
3rd Gear
Morristown Mini (in N.J.) has the JCW exhaust for $675. However, I dont think JCW exhaust is going to do much with out CAI, ECU, and Injectors and after that expence you will probably say you wish you spent 1/2 the money and just went with the pully. Moristown Mini has the CAI, and Injectors for $440.
This is comming from someone that just did the JCW exhaust....

Old 02-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by suss1173
Morristown Mini (in N.J.) has the JCW exhaust for $675. However, I dont think JCW exhaust is going to do much with out CAI, ECU, and Injectors and after that expence you will probably say you wish you spent 1/2 the money and just went with the pully. Moristown Mini has the CAI, and Injectors for $440.
This is comming from someone that just did the JCW exhaust....
i have the jcw cai, i have the pulley on order, and i have been told in previous replies that the injectors are a waste of money. that is why im so confused.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
i now have the opportunity to purchase the gp intercooler. what are ppls thoughts on this? if i already have the jcw cai, soon to have the pulley, get the gp i/c, then the jcw exhaust, and finally the jcw injectors w/ software is that going to work or be a problem?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
i now have the opportunity to purchase the gp intercooler. what are ppls thoughts on this? if i already have the jcw cai, soon to have the pulley, get the gp i/c, then the jcw exhaust, and finally the jcw injectors w/ software is that going to work or be a problem?

With the set up you've mentioned above, it will work just fine.
Basically, it is a JCW kit w/o cylinder head and with a smaller pulley. If you don't want to go extreme, you will have fun with the set up.

Once you settle with your hardware mod, then it's time for a fine-tuning. Have a custom-tuned to make the hardwares work together in harmony and fit your driving style.

It's all about fun, isn't it?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Maxicooper
Basically, it is a JCW kit w/o cylinder head and with a smaller pulley. If you don't want to go extreme, you will have fun with the set up.

Once you settle with your hardware mod, then it's time for a fine-tuning. Have a custom-tuned to make the hardwares work together in harmony and fit your driving style.

where in the world would i be able to get it custom-tuned? i live in nebraska. there really isnt any custom shops around unless i go to kansas city. what hardware mod would you suggest?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear

and yes it IS suppose to be fun!!!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:47 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
i have the jcw cai, i have the pulley on order, and i have been told in previous replies that the injectors are a waste of money. that is why im so confused.
Not a waste of $$$, just an unneeded expenditure for where you're at. With the JCW tune and injectors with 15% pulley I was running a 10.6 AFR...riiiich. With the regular tune and no JCW injectors, I was running a 10.8 AFR...riiich.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:50 PM
//MZero
4th Gear
I have only been a Mini owner for a few weeks now but personally I think the stock intercooler in this car is quite pathetic and hardly does anything. I'm not a noob to cars, or to F/I either. I dont see a huge problem with the size of the intercooler, but rather the fact that air can't actually flow through it, and that you need to be moving at quite a high speed to shove enough air at it to actually cool it down. I don't think the gp intercooler serve any better. I do think that it would help slow the amount of time before it becomes heatsoaked...but it'll still heatsoak and once it does, it'll take a while to get it back.

Keep in mind, intercoolers do not "add" hp, they simply keep the air cooler which prevents hp loss. And the most important function of the intercooler is that it wont get heatsoaked when you are actually asking it to work for you. The only way you "gain" or "loose" hp with an IC is pressure drop or lack thereof.

The best intercooler designs I have seen thus far for the mini are the M7 DFIC and Alta's version of that. I also like the water/air but it is a lot more work/weight...and if you have the proper air/air design then that would be the better way to do it. Less stuff to go wrong, less weight...and all you need is air. So IMHO, I wouldn't bother with the GP intercooler.

As for the rest of your plan, of course its going to work. Everybody is just telling you that you can do things cheaper and more efficently. But if you want to stick to JCW, thats fine. You just don't get the same bang 4 buck.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
where in the world would i be able to get it custom-tuned? i live in nebraska. there really isnt any custom shops around unless i go to kansas city. what hardware mod would you suggest?

Sorry, I forget that you live in NE.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HighLife4136
Not a waste of $$$, just an unneeded expenditure for where you're at. With the JCW tune and injectors with 15% pulley I was running a 10.6 AFR...riiiich. With the regular tune and no JCW injectors, I was running a 10.8 AFR...riiich.
what about "where i want to go?" i have posted what i want to do.
i have the jcw cai, i will have the 15%, i can get the gp intercooler, then the jcw exhaust, and finally the jcw injectors w/ software. followed by the jcw suspension, and possibly a 19mm rear sway bar.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:17 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroCooper
I dont see a huge problem with the size of the intercooler, but rather the fact that air can't actually flow through it, and that you need to be moving at quite a high speed to shove enough air at it to actually cool it down. I don't think the gp intercooler serve any better.
The GP does hang a couple of rows off the back, where air can actually flow through. Not saying it will make much of a difference, just keeping it real.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear

Sorry, I forget that you live in NE.
we dont have anything here but cows and farmland. im still trying to find a good motoring road. I-80 is a long interstate of nothingness.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:39 PM
minimarks
6th Gear

#1 Fun, reliable and efficient!

Quick Reply: JCW Mods