JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where could i get my hands on a gp intercooler? just curious.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Mini_Crazy
3rd Gear
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Locating a GP Intercooler

Originally Posted by Handsome Rob
where could i get my hands on a gp intercooler? just curious.
A number of people (including myself & Dr. O) have bought their GP intercoolers from h0197kope on eBay . The guy lives in Austria, where there are apparently no restrictions in buying these parts from the dealer.

Here is his feedback page:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...erid=h0197kope

Old 02-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
i would like to thank all of you for all of the responses. special thanks goes out to maxicooper for all of the help and great ideas! keep on motoring maxicooper!!!!
You are very welcome. i hope some of the ideas would help you select your way of having fun, ...... your own way.

Have fun motoring.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're worried about warranty, Dinan has a 15% pulley and a cam shaft which will both be warrantied. They don't usually sell them separately, they prefer you buy the "Boost Kit", but, if you get the JCW ECU flash and injectors, you'll probably be ok, but talk to them to be sure. I'd do that before getting the exhaust. Just the intake and exhaust alone will get you no where near your 200HP goal and you'll have spent over a grand already. I would even suggest that soon after you get a pulley and ECU, you save up and get the JCW head. That's where the real power is. The head will actually set you up to later surpass 200HP relatively easily.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jaynicholson
Do you know that the JCW exhaust is reportedly QUIETER than the stock exhaust?
You know, I keep seeing this posted. This is not true. The JCW exhaust is a bit louder and better sounding than the stock exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLroVlLWcTs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4HGC...eature=related

I'm certainly not say it's the best value out there, but it is a good sounding exhaust

Last edited by davisflyer; 02-06-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
i think i have figured out what and how im going to do this. i think im going to start with the 15% pulley, plugs, wires, jcw injectors, jcw ecu, and coil pack. then part 2 will be the exhaust. part 3 is a toss up--either the jcw suspension or the gp intercooler. is there anything special i need to do to have the gp intercooler installed? any special tools or any other mods that i have to do before i have the gp intercooler installed?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
i think i have figured out what and how im going to do this. i think im going to start with the 15% pulley, plugs, wires, jcw injectors, jcw ecu, and coil pack. then part 2 will be the exhaust. part 3 is a toss up--either the jcw suspension or the gp intercooler. is there anything special i need to do to have the gp intercooler installed? any special tools or any other mods that i have to do before i have the gp intercooler installed?
GP intercooler is a simple bolt-on.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Scavenger
...I would even suggest that soon after you get a pulley and ECU, you save up and get the JCW head. That's where the real power is. The head will actually set you up to later surpass 200HP relatively easily.
ack

surely you jest?

i bet i'm not gonna be the last one pointing out that BUYING the jcw head separately would be a HUGE waste of money.

if you're gonna replace the head, for gods sake replace it with one that is actually better than stock...

Old 02-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Maxicooper
GP intercooler is a simple bolt-on.
so i could even install it right now without doing any other mods? that would be sweet! im going to see if i can get my hands on one soon!!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:42 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
so i could even install it right now without doing any other mods? that would be sweet! im going to see if i can get my hands on one soon!!
With all the money you're spending, you could have that nice new cylinder head

Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
And... it will look like this.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HighLife4136
With all the money you're spending, you could have that nice new cylinder head
why does everyone keep bringing up the cylinder head? i dont know if i want to go that far. im not looking to break any land speed records, just to have a mcsa with some extra oomph--200 or so hp.
maxicooper--thats a good lookin' engine compartment.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
The OP is concerned about his warranty, that's the only real reason. There are definitely higher flowing heads on the market.
Originally Posted by PrplPplEtr
ack

surely you jest?

i bet i'm not gonna be the last one pointing out that BUYING the jcw head separately would be a HUGE waste of money.

if you're gonna replace the head, for gods sake replace it with one that is actually better than stock...

Old 02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
YES, very nice
Originally Posted by Maxicooper
And... it will look like this.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:45 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
why does everyone keep bringing up the cylinder head? i dont know if i want to go that far. im not looking to break any land speed records, just to have a mcsa with some extra oomph--200 or so hp.
maxicooper--thats a good lookin' engine compartment.
From someone that's been up and down the MINI mod road...I see you spending $1500 or so on parts that won't make/save much HP...but if you like it and it meets your goals, then I guess it makes it worth it ...if you come back in another 9 months and inquire about which head is the best to buy...

Old 02-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
From someone that's been up and down the MINI mod road...I see you spending $1500 or so on parts that won't make/save much HP...but if you like it and it meets your goals, then I guess it makes it worth it ...if you come back in another 9 months and inquire about which head is the best to buy...
I think several of the posters to this thread agree with you. Although, considering the time and expense to get the head, I wonder if it'd really be better to bypass the JCW and get a reputable aftermarket head that has higher flow/volume characteristics. It would be interesting to see how this performed on a car that only had the JCW pulley!

Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Scavenger
I think several of the posters to this thread agree with you. Although, considering the time and expense to get the head, I wonder if it'd really be better to bypass the JCW and get a reputable aftermarket head that has higher flow/volume characteristics. It would be interesting to see how this performed on a car that only had the JCW pulley!
For a good (read: strong) example, see LongBoards original thread when he swapped his stock head for the RMW head...or see the "Mary" thread when FBR swapped their head in...or check out Thumpers old thread about seeing 20-30 whp on the head swap.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
I think it is really depending on how far, how extreme you want to go. If the goal is just a number, let say 200 whp, there are quite a few ways to achieve that goal.

It's not always that the cost-effective comes in play, sometime it's the personal preference and enjoyment that counts.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:41 AM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
i want to keep it mostly jcw. i dont want to go to extreme and i think a cylinder head would take me alittle to far. i am going to order the jcw injectors, the jcw ecu, the alta 15% pulley, and try to get the gp intercooler. i have found someone that is willing to install all of them for a small fee (1 large pizza! ) its great having a mechanic in the family. while we are at it im also going to go ahead and replace the plugs and wires. i decided to scrap the coil pack. once that is done i am going to get the jcw exhaust. further down the road i would like to have the jcw suspension installed. that is my plan that i have mapped out. i really appreciate all of the help. i wasnt trying to start a war of who's right and who's wrong. i was just looking for a little help with some mods. every one of us has there own reason or way of modding their vehicles. again i really do appreciate all of the opinions of everyone. if and when i decide to get the head..........

Old 02-08-2008, 10:15 AM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
i want to keep it mostly jcw. i dont want to go to extreme and i think a cylinder head would take me alittle to far. i am going to order the jcw injectors, the jcw ecu, the alta 15% pulley, and try to get the gp intercooler. i have found someone that is willing to install all of them for a small fee (1 large pizza! ) its great having a mechanic in the family. while we are at it im also going to go ahead and replace the plugs and wires. i decided to scrap the coil pack. once that is done i am going to get the jcw exhaust. further down the road i would like to have the jcw suspension installed. that is my plan that i have mapped out. i really appreciate all of the help. i wasnt trying to start a war of who's right and who's wrong. i was just looking for a little help with some mods. every one of us has there own reason or way of modding their vehicles. again i really do appreciate all of the opinions of everyone. if and when i decide to get the head..........
No worries, there's no war! We're just bantering around, hoping some good advice from someone lands in your lap. Have fun with the mods (it's only just begun )

Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
No worries, there's no war! We're just bantering around, hoping some good advice from someone lands in your lap. Have fun with the mods (it's only just begun )
i know its just begun. i have been driving my wife nuts lately with this little project. she told me that i can do whatever i want as long as she doesnt have to pay for any of my bills. i just know that i havent even really started modding my mcsa, and already im having fun with this!

Old 02-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Crazy
A number of people (including myself & Dr. O) have bought their GP intercoolers from h0197kope on eBay . The guy lives in Austria, where there are apparently no restrictions in buying these parts from the dealer.

Here is his feedback page:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...erid=h0197kope
how often does this person sell them on ebay? i would like to find one soon.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:22 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
how often does this person sell them on ebay? i would like to find one soon.
You better to it soon before the wife changes her mind

Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Oh, and this is his NAM screen name: PeterKöstenberger

Old 02-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
thanks for the info. hopefully he has one with my name on it.

Quick Reply: JCW Mods