Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior LEDs installed in our R56

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Converting the back into a cargo only area. Putting in a floor over the seat area, sound insulation, replacing the 6x9 speakers with Infinity Kappa 693.7i and relocating them in a dedicated cabinet (they would be sealed off in the cargo area).

Old 08-05-2007, 10:40 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Man...I really want to Dynamat the whole car but having alllll that off at once is just scary.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay my set (for my R50) came today, and I have a question.

I have 2 sets of 2 bulbs and I can't figure out which goes where (I figured the others out based on how many there were).

I have 2 white-based 194s with panels around the sides and one on top. And then I have 2 clear-based 194s with the clear bulbs sticking out the sides and one on top. I know one set is for the footwells and one is for the puddles, but which goes where?

Old 08-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
I have 2 white-based 194s with panels around the sides and one on top. And then I have 2 clear-based 194s with the clear bulbs sticking out the sides and one on top. I know one set is for the footwells and one is for the puddles, but which goes where?
You can try yourself, but I think I liked the clear-base ones best in the footwells, and the cubish-shaped ones in the puddle lamps. I'm sure I figured out some logic behind this before, but I can't remember right now, to be honest.

But they're interchangeable, so if you like them the other way, that's fine.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 09-03-2007, 04:55 PM
sirr6
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kit did most of you buy? the 69.00 or 96.00 kit? im thinking about the 69.99 but are those the same ones as pictured on the 1st post?

Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
I went for the $96.00 kit.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
You can try yourself, but I think I liked the clear-base ones best in the footwells, and the cubish-shaped ones in the puddle lamps. I'm sure I figured out some logic behind this before, but I can't remember right now, to be honest.

But they're interchangeable, so if you like them the other way, that's fine.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net
It looked to me like some of them directed light out the end of the bulb (cubish-shaped, I think) and others were like a pinwheel of LEDs that shone out the sides. The pinwheel bulbs seemed best suited to puddle and footwells. I figured the end-lights would be best in the reading lamps, but I left those stock, so I didn't really check the bulb orientation.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robyn,
Did you already fabricate some of the "new" floor just behind the front seats in that picture?? What are the two black circles in that angled floor, behind the front seats? Is that where you are mounting the subs or something, or is that already in the car standar.... and what are they? They look like cutouts covered in rubber...?? (in pic before you dynamat....).

Old 09-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman
Robyn,
Did you already fabricate some of the "new" floor just behind the front seats in that picture?? What are the two black circles in that angled floor, behind the front seats? Is that where you are mounting the subs or something, or is that already in the car standar.... and what are they? They look like cutouts covered in rubber...?? (in pic before you dynamat....).
Batman,*
You mean this picture?

Those black disks are stock. They are steel painted black. I assume the have to do with something under the car. Perhaps they are access ports of some kind. Although I covered them with Dynamat, I made it easy to remove them.

*no "y" in Robin.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Gotcha, I'm duckin back into the "Bird Cave"!!!

Ya shoulda took them off to see what's behind them, they look like perfect 8 or 10" subwoofer mounts!!! ;-)

Just installed my Blue LED's, can't wait for it to get dark to check em out!!

I did not install the MAP or Glovebox lights. I want them to be bright when needed (which is what they are for). Has anyone acyualy done the glovebox one? How dim does it make it? Can ya still see what's in there?

Old 09-04-2007, 01:39 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear

Ya shoulda took them off to see what's behind them, they look like perfect 8 or 10" subwoofer mounts!!! ;-)

I did not install the MAP or Glovebox lights. I want them to be bright when needed (which is what they are for). Has anyone acyualy done the glovebox one? How dim does it make it? Can ya still see what's in there?

Believe they're for gas tank access for fuel pump(s) and stuff.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear

I took enough stuff apart. I doubt there is much room below them. I think they are access ports to something over the gas tank.

I'm not planning on adding subs. My home theather/audio system includes an SVS sub that is the size of a small water heater. However, I don't feel the need for it in the MINI -- not trying to rattle the car next to me.

I installed red in the glovebox. It seems bright enough. I left the map lights stock for the same reason you did.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Bucky1969
2nd Gear
There is no way I would ever get the blue light package now, after scUM losing to App. St. Saturday, I would be embarrassed to have anything blue. So, I guess you can say it is NO Go Blue! anymore.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Bucky1969
There is no way I would ever get the blue light package now, after scUM losing to App. St. Saturday, I would be embarrassed to have anything blue. So, I guess you can say it is NO Go Blue! anymore.
I...I hadn't thought of the idea of matching your interior lighting to (or against) your sports team...

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 09-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
I installed the blue LED a few days ago, takes 5 minutes to pop em in (minus the maps which I'm leaving white). Daytime, barely notice them (ya couldn't notice the white ones either). So I say, ok, big deal, got blue lights, anywhoozle.

Skip a few days, forgotten led lights. First time I get in MINBIRD at night sice the install, BINGO!!! COOL BLUE!!! WOW, REALLY cool looking. I took some shots last night. Will try and post a few. Really looks cool with the Nav screen on. I live on the water, so most of the map screen is blue (water) so it all comes together.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
BINGO!!! COOL BLUE!!! WOW, REALLY cool looking. I took some shots last night. Will try and post a few.
Just following up...got some pics to show us?

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 10-01-2007, 03:16 PM
buckoa
Neutral
OrneryDSMini - you crack me up. I am in the same boat...hopefully taking delivery of my new mini in a week or so and the custom gear is building up.

Wheels
Replacement stubby aerial
Custom stripes
Debating the carbon air intake filter

On the fence with respect to this lighting. i guess i need to see the factory lighting or maybe Mach V Dan you can post a picture of the original to appreciate the different

Old 10-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by buckoa
i guess i need to see the factory lighting or maybe Mach V Dan you can post a picture of the original to appreciate the different
This isn't the MINI, but this is a photo of my Subaru Legacy before and after replacing the stock interior lighting with LED units. Same camera, same exact exposure.

Name:  Beforeandafter.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  37.8 KB
--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 10-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Pictures as primised. Blurry and bad pics, but you get the idea.

Sorry the first is so "jiggly", I was on final approach on runway 330L!!

More in my gallery

Old 10-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Pictures as promised...
Pic 3 shows rear shield collapsing! Warp factor 2!

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 PM
MWH
1st Gear
Hey all, I bought a set of blue LEDs a while back (thanks Dan!) and they were a snap to install, except for the footwells. I can get the cover off on one but can't extract the bulb, and can't even get the cover off on the other. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MWH
Hey all, I bought a set of blue LEDs a while back (thanks Dan!) and they were a snap to install, except for the footwells. I can get the cover off on one but can't extract the bulb, and can't even get the cover off on the other. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.
The cover can be stubborn. I just use a small flat-blade screwdriver and gently pry until it pops loose. It may take more force than you'd expect.

For the bulb, just push it gently sideways with a finger, or a non-conductive tool of some sort.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 10-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Dave@ddmworks
Manufacturer
Dan,

Those lights look great! Good job!!

Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
MWH
1st Gear
Got them! Thanks. For the footwells and map lights, I had to make loops of electrical tape, thread them around the bulbs, and squeeze them to get the bulbs out.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MWH
For the footwells and map lights, I had to make loops of electrical tape, thread them around the bulbs, and squeeze them to get the bulbs out.
Cool. Good tip.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior LEDs installed in our R56