Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior LEDs installed in our R56

Old 06-12-2007, 11:27 PM
eny mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But what's a good way to...

remove the map light bulbs in the R56?
I don't want to break anything - I've got the other LED's changed and it is WAY COOL! Thanks Mach V for the great service and speedy shipping btw.
Someone posted re: pre 56 install, but with the R56, just the cover comes off and I have not found a way to get to the other side of the bulbs. Anyone have any suggestions, or even clues?

Thanks!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minime07
remove the map light bulbs in the R56?
I don't want to break anything - I've got the other LED's changed and it is WAY COOL! Thanks Mach V for the great service and speedy shipping btw.
Someone posted re: pre 56 install, but with the R56, just the cover comes off and I have not found a way to get to the other side of the bulbs. Anyone have any suggestions, or even clues?
There's at least two ways to go about it.

1.) Use a small pick or screwdriver and pry them out. The pick would be ideal, but not everyone has that around the house...You might be able to make a makeshift tool with a small paper clip. You'll just need to hook the back of the bulb.

2.) Completely disassemble the entire overhead switch/lighting assembly. I did that, partially because I just wanted to see what all was in there. (Answer: A bunch of little switch parts that will spill all over the floor when you finally get it apart...)

3.) Use something sticky (chewing gum?) to stick to the front of the bulb and pull it out. They're not in there very tight...

If I were to do it again I'd probably suggest option 1.) or 3.) because it'll be a lot less time consuming than 2...

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 06-13-2007, 11:42 AM
eny mini
1st Gear
Thanks for the tip! I actually have an awl which looks a lot like a pick to me -

Old 06-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Okay, we've got a new LED panel for the R56. It's a 12-LED unit that is WAY brighter than any bulb we have, even the multi-way units.

Here's a shot of it in the car, map lights off:

Name:  12-LED.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  58.6 KB

Find it HERE.

Edit: The R56 panel unit is also now available in RED and BLUE.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Last edited by Mach V Dan; 07-26-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "deluxe kit" on the site says "Dome light ONLY comes in Super Bright white". So how do you order the kit in a color, Blue or red??

I want all blue lights, except for the map lights, I want to leave them white so you can, ah, read a map with them, they are rarely on anyway! ;-) So what should I buy? thanks.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman
The "deluxe kit" on the site says "Dome light ONLY comes in Super Bright white". So how do you order the kit in a color, Blue or red??

I want all blue lights, except for the map lights, I want to leave them white so you can, ah, read a map with them, they are rarely on anyway! ;-) So what should I buy? thanks.
Right next to that is a kit that does have the dome panel light. That package is $99.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
But I want the dome. I don't want the MAP lights.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
But I want the dome. I don't want the MAP lights.
Am I going to have to give you a new, but similar, name? There IS a package with the blue dome light available. I'm not talking about the map light.

Quothe the raisin:
"Budget LED Interior Lamp Kit (2007+ Cooper and Cooper S)
Nine LED replacement bulbs, including a conventional (not a panel) LED for the dome lamp"

As this one does NOT say it comes only in white, I am led to believe that it comes in blue, too, as the tile down tab suggests. My only question is: Do they mean "conventional" as in incandecent bult, or the LED with a bracket that fits into the bulb recepticle? Since it says LED, I believe it is the latter.

Last edited by Loony2N; 07-12-2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Gotcha, my "birdbrain" ;-) didn't see that one. It does say "a conventional LED..." as opposed to just "a conventional". I think it's an LED, just not a panel.

But I don't need the map lights, so I want to buy all but the maps. I'm sure I can save a few donuts. I am going to order there little shelf thingy for the center stack, that is a bit pricey at $40!!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Yeah. My scangauge is located in that space, so I don't need it. But I was considering it, even though it really is a rip at $40. Then again, so was having to pay $900 for a plain pine box that cost maybe $50 to make.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Shadow Executor
1st Gear
still waiting

i ordered my blue led budget kit on June 18th, and i am still waiting for them to ship it out. i understand that they have been waiting for some bulbs because they were out of stock but does it really take this long? when i placed the order i was about 2 weeks from takeing delivery on my mini and now i have had it for almost a week and still to bulbs! come on.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by LynnEl
As this one does NOT say it comes only in white, I am led to believe that it comes in blue, too, as the tile down tab suggests. My only question is: Do they mean "conventional" as in incandecent bult, or the LED with a bracket that fits into the bulb recepticle? Since it says LED, I believe it is the latter.
You're right. I used "conventional LED" to indicate a single bulb LED, not a more elaborate panel unit. The bulb LED is nice, but not nearly as bright as the panel units. But the panels aren't (yet) available in red or blue, and they're pricier...

Goku5635, I'm sorry about the backorder on that one blue bulb. We'll have them soon, I promise. If you'd like, we can ship all the other bulbs and then ship the backordered part when it arrives. Assuming it was you I spoke to on the phone, I apologize that I forgot to offer that option.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Buy the blue kit. In the comments field, write: "I'd like white map lights, please!"

Make sure to use please, or we won't do it.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 07-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
Buy the blue kit. In the comments field, write: "I'd like white map lights, please!"

Make sure to use please, or we won't do it.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net
I plan to do the same. Except I can't access the check-out page at work. Suppose I have to do it from home. A question though: Would the blue map lights be bright enough to read something with?

Old 07-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Shadow Executor
1st Gear
please do

Dan i would like for you to go ahead and ship me what you have in stock as long as your arnt going to charge me shipping twice. and yes i did talk to you on the phone earler today, thanks.

Last edited by Shadow Executor; 07-12-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:42 PM
mataku
5th Gear
these kits looking interesting. Lets get some more pictures up, especially those who are not installing one color sets. Would like to see White map, but all others blue.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Would the blue map lights be bright enough to read something with?
Mmm, I'd have to say they're not ideal for that. Both the red and the blue I'd describe as "atmosphere" lighting more than pratical lighting. Red and blue light is obviously not going to be as good for doing actual work that requires full-spectrum light. It's not like you won't be able to see the map at all, but in general the white light is much brighter and easier to read by.

Update: I did try actually reading a newspaper in my car last night with blue map lights in it. Not the brightest, but I could still see fine, at least enough to read.

--Dan
Mach V

Old 07-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Mmm, I'd have to say they're not ideal for that. Both the red and the blue I'd describe as "atmosphere" lighting more than pratical lighting. Red and blue light is obviously not going to be as good for doing actual work that requires full-spectrum light. It's not like you won't be able to see the map at all, but in general the white light is much brighter and easier to read by.

Update: I did try actually reading a newspaper in my car last night with blue map lights in it. Not the brightest, but I could still see fine, at least enough to read.

--Dan
Mach V
Great! 'Cuz I already ordered the kit with all blue lights. Figured if they weren't good in the map lights, I could always switch them out. Anyway, I've used my map lights maybe 3 times....

Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mataku
these kits looking interesting. Lets get some more pictures up, especially those who are not installing one color sets. Would like to see White map, but all others blue.
+1

The maps only come on when you manually turn them on, right? Or do they come on with house lights??

Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 PM
peter314
5th Gear
this makes the interior look awesome, the mood lights are very dim from what i'v seen so far, anyway to get all three colors in one kit that you can change around at your decision like the original mood lighting?, im guessing that you can only have one of the three, right? oh well no harm in asking.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:32 PM
peter314
5th Gear
or mabye two of the three together? the white and the red intrest me, white for normal and red for when feel like being evil > but still all three in the kit would be sweet, blue would be sweet for just chillin.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by peter314
...anyway to get all three colors in one kit that you can change around at your decision like the original mood lighting?

Uh...no. The bulbs are single-color. But you could buy more than one kit, and swap the bulbs out as you wish. It doesn't take very long.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 07-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
The maps only come on when you manually turn them on, right? Or do they come on with house lights??

They're switched on manually. They do not come on when the other interior lights go on when you open the doors.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 07-14-2007, 06:41 PM
artsmini
2nd Gear
Uh...no. The bulbs are single-color. But you could buy more than one kit, and swap the bulbs out as you wish. It doesn't take very long.

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net
I bought the white kit first, liked the effect, and then bought the blue set. I have the blue set installed at the moment, but it isn't hard to swap or mix them up.
Thanks Mach V for great service

Old 07-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Why would you buy the "white" set?? The ones from mini are white. Unless you wanted to go with LED's to save juice cause ya use them alot with motor off??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior LEDs installed in our R56