General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 06:25 AM
R53Minicoop
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Which ebay system did you purchase. Sometimes I have seen where adding the OEM JCW center resonator pipe quieted down other custom set ups. May work in your case too.
I could try that I guess.
It is set up so I can swap out the resonator.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Finally got both MINI cleaned this weekend only to find out snow and rain this week :(

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-29-2016, 07:12 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by elpappy
A few pictures after Richmond VA Cars and Coffee.
Rare 2007 MCS , nice shots.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-29-2016, 07:32 AM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I backed it into a f---ing concrete pillar.

Left rear bumper has scratches and some of the trim pieces popped out of their clips. No dents or anything. I'm guessing ~$500.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:46 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Southern Marylander

Left rear bumper has scratches and some of the trim pieces popped out of their clips. No dents or anything. I'm guessing ~$500.

Oh no...

Old 02-29-2016, 07:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor

Yikes

Old 02-29-2016, 09:04 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those things are hard to see sometimes! Hope that no metal was bent.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:56 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
Thank you!

Post install, the first thing I noticed was coming off the driveway, past the sidewalk to the street. Going down the ramp, there was no sound, there was no knock. Just silence. I went for a quick stroll and the MINI felt very solid.

Going for a longer drive, the steering wheel was dead straight and steady. There was no twitchy feeling and the MINI did not want to pull in one direction or the other. I got up to 45mph on a straight stretch and let the wheel go. The Mini just went straight and did not “change lanes”. While driving, I noticed that the handling of the Mini was back and the slightest adjustment in the steering wheel, the Mini reacted. Very very cool feeling. So I made a left hand turn through an intersection without having to stop (at pace) and the MINI felt great! No secondary movements, no counter movements, it just went where you steered it.

I cant wait to throw on some Koni Yellows and TSW springs with a larger swaybar. This could get fun.

Very good eye! I have a thing for yellow. The CRX Si is very much on display but on another website. I hate to muddy the waters here since this is a MINI forum. But you can read up on the CRX on the CRX forum. If you get a chance, let me know your thoughts.

CRX THREAD
The fun begins on Page 9
Worn bushings can produce strange effects, for sure. Excellent write up. Thanks. Love the thoroughness on projects. Impressive.

Up to Page 16 on your CRX build. Wow and beyond. What a find, and what work you do. Love it, too. I have a very soft spot for CRXs. My sister owned one and it's one car that I really enjoyed driving. Always wanted one, but it just wasn't the right time and situation for it, so I missed out. My sister's '90 CRX Si was stolen a couple of years back. She was just starting to get things on order for a total refurbish. We were all heart broken. It was never recovered.

When do the Koni Yellows (of course they have to be the yellow ones ) and TWS springs go on the Mini?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:23 AM
madcanvis
3rd Gear
Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts
Dealer says NO

After, 2 months of back and forth Mini of Peabody declined my petition to stand behind their warranty of rust.
They told me that I had too big of a gap in dealer visits (from 2009 30k miles-2011 50k miles). The reason it was never at the shop was because the car had nothing wrong with it and all it needed was oil changes that were done by the PO at an indy.

Soo... I wrote them a strongly worded letter of dissapointment had it fixed myself and done right. I also had them redo the scoop because it faded dif then the rest of the body...
What did you do to your mini today?-img_2757.jpg
What did you do to your mini today?-img_3460.jpg
What did you do to your mini today?-img_3461.jpg
What did you do to your mini today?-img_3435.jpg
What did you do to your mini today?-img_3441.jpg
And for good measure, I was grabbing some parts for my 3rd Gen 4runner at the local junkyard and saw this!!! (no this isnt a design flaw causing premature rust).
What did you do to your mini today?-junk-yard-taillight-rust.jpg
The other side of this scrapped mini looked the same.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Sorry to hear that. :( But I am glad it fixed. looks much better. I pop my taillights out every year and put some wax and grease on the seam after mine was done. Done this to the upper boot grip handles area also. Behind the trim.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:37 AM
MothAudio
2nd Gear
CooperSAZ - love the CRX build thread. You do excellent work. I bought a black CRX back in '89. Man, that thing would hug the road.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:54 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
Worn bushings can produce strange effects, for sure. Excellent write up. Thanks. Love the thoroughness on projects. Impressive.

Up to Page 16 on your CRX build. Wow and beyond. What a find, and what work you do. Love it, too. I have a very soft spot for CRXs. My sister owned one and it's one car that I really enjoyed driving. Always wanted one, but it just wasn't the right time and situation for it, so I missed out. My sister's '90 CRX Si was stolen a couple of years back. She was just starting to get things on order for a total refurbish. We were all heart broken. It was never recovered.

When do the Koni Yellows (of course they have to be the yellow ones ) and TWS springs go on the Mini?
Thank you! Oh good, I am glad you enjoy it! I received a lot of feedback on it from others wanting to do the same thing. With the torque specs, the pics and the narrative, people have stated they feel more comfortable with tackling their refurb of the car. It was well taken care of before me so I was hoping to just clean it up and carry it forward. Only open items on him that are left is the paint/bodywork, the new motor (DOHC VTEC) and the fuel system overhaul (e.g. tank and pump). Then I am done I think. I agree, CRXs are great little cars. They really started the pocket rocket generation and aftermarket world kick off for Honda back in the 90s. Unfortunately, most of the chassis left have been raced out or beaten to heck. I’ve been offered quite a bit of money for him and have declined every time. I will be buried in one of these two yellow cars. Haha

Great question! I hope this year. Kids are at that age now where braces are coming into play. $$$ I have a few things to patch up on the Odyssey (axles, oil pump seal). I keep hoping certain items go on sale where it forces my hand to pick up parts for the MINI and just get it done.

Originally Posted by MothAudio
CooperSAZ - love the CRX build thread. You do excellent work. I bought a black CRX back in '89. Man, that thing would hug the road.
Oh excellent! I am glad you liked the thread! Thank you for the kind words. Very much appreciated. Yes! So you go way back and knew the vehicle! They are great little cars. It is a great weekend car for a trip up to Sedona with the wife. (e.g. hiking or golfing)

Old 02-29-2016, 02:34 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
I’ve been offered quite a bit of money for him and have declined every time. I will be buried in one of these two yellow cars. Haha
I have a '93 Civic Coupe EX-O that I bought new and still only goes out on nice days, so I know what you mean about the offers. And I already gave my wife instructions on that burying thing... probably in the Civic .

CRXs are extremely coveted, and get fewer in number every year, so make sure you install a kill switch or tracking or something in it to thwart anyone that might try to take it. I tried to get my sister to put more security into her's, but she didn't. She drove it at least once or twice a week to keep the battery fresh. One night they decided to drive it to a restaurant in a well lit popular area of town, went in to dinner and after finishing came out to an empty parking space.

Enjoy it, but make it secure.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:26 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
I have a '93 Civic Coupe EX-O that I bought new and still only goes out on nice days, so I know what you mean about the offers. And I already gave my wife instructions on that burying thing... probably in the Civic .

CRXs are extremely coveted, and get fewer in number every year, so make sure you install a kill switch or tracking or something in it to thwart anyone that might try to take it. I tried to get my sister to put more security into her's, but she didn't. She drove it at least once or twice a week to keep the battery fresh. One night they decided to drive it to a restaurant in a well lit popular area of town, went in to dinner and after finishing came out to an empty parking space.

Enjoy it, but make it secure.
Oh cool ok! The ’92-‘95 Civics are a great generation as well! I guess I am stuck in the ‘90s. After about 2000, the Civic has been grown in size to become fat, overweight and bloated. But that appears to be the course for many of today’s vehicles. The new Civic is about the size of an Accord now.

Agreed. These cars are easy to take and you have to take the proper precautions to ensure it does not leave for a “test drive”.

Thanks!

Old 02-29-2016, 06:00 PM
jaldeborgh@gmail.com
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by madcanvis
After, 2 months of back and forth Mini of Peabody declined my petition to stand behind their warranty of rust.
They told me that I had too big of a gap in dealer visits (from 2009 30k miles-2011 50k miles). The reason it was never at the shop was because the car had nothing wrong with it and all it needed was oil changes that were done by the PO at an indy.

Soo... I wrote them a strongly worded letter of dissapointment had it fixed myself and done right. I also had them redo the scoop because it faded dif then the rest of the body...
Attachment 121700
Attachment 121701
Attachment 121702
Attachment 121703
Attachment 121704
And for good measure, I was grabbing some parts for my 3rd Gen 4runner at the local junkyard and saw this!!! (no this isnt a design flaw causing premature rust).
Attachment 121705
The other side of this scrapped mini looked the same.
I deal with MINI of Peabody as well and it's been hit or miss on their support for design flaws. I've run across several on our 2 MINI's. From the looks of the rust it's a flaw. An oil change or regular service wold never have prevented the rust issue. Also, when was the last time anyone has seen rust damage on a modern car, it has to be a design issue.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:06 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Oh cool ok! The ’92-‘95 Civics are a great generation as well! I guess I am stuck in the ‘90s. After about 2000, the Civic has been grown in size to become fat, overweight and bloated. But that appears to be the course for many of today’s vehicles. The new Civic is about the size of an Accord now.

Agreed. These cars are easy to take and you have to take the proper precautions to ensure it does not leave for a “test drive”.

Thanks!
That's why I went to a Mini... always favored small fun drivers. You're right about Civics, have gotten way too big. Bigger than the first Accords and even lost the double wishbone suspensions that actually made those old Civics so fun on the twisted sections of road.

Originally Posted by jaldeborgh@gmail.com
I deal with MINI of Peabody as well and it's been hit or miss on their support for design flaws. I've run across several on our 2 MINI's. From the looks of the rust it's a flaw. An oil change or regular service wold never have prevented the rust issue. Also, when was the last time anyone has seen rust damage on a modern car, it has to be a design issue.
If you have a piece of trim that rubs into the paint, or a tiny rock chip that you miss and you drive in New England during the Winter, more specifically here in Maine, you're gonna have big rust, big time, really soon. You wanna see modern cars with rust pits and paint bubbles? Come on up to Maine. Maine puts more salt and snow melting chemicals down on roads than any other place I've lived or driven through where snow falls in Winter.

You really have pay close attention to your painted surfaces if you drive a car you might really like up here during Winter. I have always had a Winter beater, cause I can't see driving a nice car in a salt bath. Not good for any part of a car. My 1998 Frontier truck started to rust about 4 years ago and I keep that thing as clean as I can, thoroughly wash it out when it's above freezing and keep painted areas waxed and rock pits sealed. Can't stop it. Rust will take hold somewhere. Salt and chemicals will attack any component, brakes, brake lines, suspension, frames, bodies... the works.

Newer cars take longer to show signs of rust, true. But they will still show deterioration after a couple or three Winters up here.

Folks that drive a nice car in the Winter in Maine will usually dump it in 2-3-4 years. Leases allow that with ease. Others seem to scout out lease returns from the southern areas and keep them for a while. I see plenty of really expensive rolling stock being used during snow storms. Between the salt/chemicals/rock chips, they are getting hammered. But those drivers can afford a new car every Spring or two anyways, so I guess it's no big deal.

If I get attached to a car, I keep it away from that kind of cruelty.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:12 PM
Sculsz
1st Gear
Replaced my vacuum pump simply as a preventative measure!!! Bought this 07 MCS second hand and have no idea how the previous owner kept it maintained!!

Old 02-29-2016, 10:18 PM
jaldeborgh@gmail.com
3rd Gear
That's why I went to a Mini... always favored small fun drivers. You're right about Civics, have gotten way too big. Bigger than the first Accords and even lost the double wishbone suspensions that actually made those old Civics so fun on the twisted sections of road.

If you have a piece of trim that rubs into the paint, or a tiny rock chip that you miss and you drive in New England during the Winter, more specifically here in Maine, you're gonna have big rust, big time, really soon. You wanna see modern cars with rust pits and paint bubbles? Come on up to Maine. Maine puts more salt and snow melting chemicals down on roads than any other place I've lived or driven through where snow falls in Winter.

You really have pay close attention to your painted surfaces if you drive a car you might really like up here during Winter. I have always had a Winter beater, cause I can't see driving a nice car in a salt bath. Not good for any part of a car. My 1998 Frontier truck started to rust about 4 years ago and I keep that thing as clean as I can, thoroughly wash it out when it's above freezing and keep painted areas waxed and rock pits sealed. Can't stop it. Rust will take hold somewhere. Salt and chemicals will attack any component, brakes, brake lines, suspension, frames, bodies... the works.

Newer cars take longer to show signs of rust, true. But they will still show deterioration after a couple or three Winters up here.

Folks that drive a nice car in the Winter in Maine will usually dump it in 2-3-4 years. Leases allow that with ease. Others seem to scout out lease returns from the southern areas and keep them for a while. I see plenty of really expensive rolling stock being used during snow storms. Between the salt/chemicals/rock chips, they are getting hammered. But those drivers can afford a new car every Spring or two anyways, so I guess it's no big deal.

If I get attached to a car, I keep it away from that kind of cruelty.
My reference point on rust was (is) my first new car, a 1977 Honda Accord plus I lived in Hyde Park, NY. That Accord turned to dust over the 4+ years that I owned it, the front fenders had holes several inches in diameter and there was more minor rust almost everywhere, there was nothing I could do to stop it. I also like to keep cars a longtime and between my wife and kids we have cars built between 2001 and 2012 and none have, what I would consider rust. Granted, we take good care of them all, most are garaged, but one of our two 2009 MINI's has been with our youngest daughter up at Syracuse University for the past 4 years, freezing it's barn doors off, another daughter, living in Denver, drives a 2004 BMW X3, which she's driven for 8 years, including 4 years in central Pennsylvania at college and now 2 years in Colorado. Both of these cars have lived outside since the girls left High School and show only insignificant rusting around dings and rock chips, etc.. I know Maine offers up some brutal winters but my basic point was modern cars are light years ahead of where they were when it comes to anti-rust technology versus when I started driving in the 70's. I guess it's kind of ironic that I now drive a 2011 X3 in the winter and save my 2009 MINI for the summer. I guess it's because I like driving the MINI so much more than anything else :-)

Old 02-29-2016, 10:57 PM
r7denz
1st Gear
Done replacing the water pump, upper radiator hose and radiator coolant.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:07 AM
thadscottmoore
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turned 100,000 miles this morning.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:22 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thadscottmoore
Turned 100,000 miles this morning.
Looking to keep it 100k more?

Old 03-01-2016, 05:38 AM
thadscottmoore
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Looking to keep it 100k more?
Been known to drive a vehicle till the doors fell off and then I welded them on. My Land Cruiser has 328,000 miles. My truck has 270,000 miles. The mini has been a pretty good vehicle with only one required repair that included a new throttle body. Debating what to do. Sell it and buy a new one... keep it and drive it... trade it in on something else...

Old 03-01-2016, 06:16 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Recently I replaced the original oem tank with a metal tank as a precaution to preclude the much documented drama involved with the failure of the oem tank. After the installation, the new tank's design opened up the area enough for me to see the close proximity of the new tank to the exhaust header heat shield. Out of curiosity and some concern, I then a search for a temperature reduction of the coolant tank and the surrounding area that would also be a cost effective. Hence I found a thread on NAM that inspired me to apply to the heat shield DEI Cool Tape purchased at Oreillys at a very reasonable price. I covered the underside of the shield and the area just on the topside of the shield. Call it a placebo? I can't say. But the following thread got my attention:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...reduction.html

Last edited by buzzsaw; 03-01-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:36 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Great point on the double wishbone suspension! Sad that it is gone now...

Old 03-01-2016, 07:42 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
Recently I replaced the original oem tank with a metal tank as a precaution to preclude the much documented drama involved with the failure of the oem tank. After the installation, the new tank's design opened up the area enough for me to see the close proximity of the new tank to the exhaust header heat shield. Out of curiosity and some concern, I then a search for a temperature reduction of the coolant tank and the surrounding area that would also be a cost effective. Hence I found a thread on NAM that inspired me to apply to the heat shield DEI Cool Tape purchased at Oreillys at a very reasonable price. I covered the underside of the shield and the area just on the topside of the shield. Call it a placebo? I can't say. But the following thread got my attention:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...reduction.html
Very cool find. Seems it worked a bit for him.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?