General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Picked up a set of carbon fiber brake ducts, thank you EuroTechs and Chase!
Picked up all 4 EBC Red Stuff brake pads and drilled and slotted rotors for the rear (I know, it's all looks, but I like the looks).
Picked up a set of rear metal black grills from Zunsport.
Can't wait to get it all installed.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:52 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mib4840
Picked up a set of carbon fiber brake ducts, thank you EuroTechs and Chase!
Picked up all 4 EBC Red Stuff brake pads and drilled and slotted rotors for the rear (I know, it's all looks, but I like the looks).
Picked up a set of rear metal black grills from Zunsport.
Can't wait to get it all installed.
Oh nice! Pics when you install them!

Have you changed out the caliper bushings yet? Or swapped in the steel collars?

Old 04-01-2016, 08:03 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
No, I did the R56 JCW brake swap up front so they do not take the collars. I'm not sure if the rears take them or not. If they do I probably won't do them because I don't want to have to lube them.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:13 PM
MothAudio
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MothAudio
Replaced thermostat assembly - $479.
After driving less than 50 miles I checked the level in the reservoir tank this morning and it was at the minimum coolant level. Is that normal or do I still have an issue? I topped it off to the max level.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:06 PM
littleone
1st Gear
I unclogged the rear wiper fluid gizmo, thanks to an old thread. Thank goodness for NAM.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:06 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Bought it new wheels, anyone want a cheap set or r98s?

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-1261439171.jpg  
Old 04-03-2016, 04:54 AM
Loyal242
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Installed a brand new Invidia cat-back yesterday.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:50 AM
R53Minicoop
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Loyal242

Nice!

Old 04-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Piano Man
3rd Gear
Finally! Getting new brakes and rotors installed by my best mechanic...my SON! Can't wait to MOTOR ON!!

Old 04-03-2016, 02:29 PM
brawsie
1st Gear
Still fighting exhaust flange bolts.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:52 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks awesome, where is the sound clip ?

Old 04-04-2016, 05:11 AM
darkboost
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Today,replaced brake pads,rotors,and lines. Fresh brake fluid,and painted the calipers.also got rid of the jelly filled donut of a motor mount and replaced it with something a bit more solid.also throwing on my lowering springs,and summer wheels/tires (team dynamics pro race 1.2 15x7/Hankook Venus R-s3 195 50 15)

Next week new clutch and replacing the dual mass flywheel with a solid 9 lbs unit.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:23 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Piano Man
Finally! Getting new brakes and rotors installed by my best mechanic...my SON! Can't wait to MOTOR ON!!
Very handy son!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Loyal242
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Looks awesome, where is the sound clip ?
HaHa! I was waiting for this question. Thank you for coming through, Steffen.Johnson!

The video I'm linking to here is not mine. But when I watched it, I thought there would be no way to compete with it. I am no videographer.

This is a great comparison video . . stock vs. Invidia N1.

I'm not a good reviewer either, but I will say this:

The first things I noticed about the N1 were the quality and it's resemblance to a brass wind instrument. It makes me think of a trombone, baritone or french horn. It is definitely tuned for sound and a more "straight through" flow.

The second thing I noticed about the N1 is that has a much deeper tone than stock. And the Pop-Pop that happens when you let off the throttle is more pronounced with the N1.

In general, the N1 is louder than stock. It is a performance exhaust system, after all. But it is not too loud by most people's standards - I would think. Cruising at low speed through my neighborhood - which has a lot of retirees - it is not going to attract any attention. It's only when I "get on it" that it makes any significant noise.

There is a big difference in-cabin as to whether the rear seats are folded down or not. When the seats are in their normal upright position a person almost wouldn't know there's a performance exhaust underneath. But fold those seats down to expose the cargo area, and one can really enjoy the sounds that the N1 produces.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Mister
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finished installing the lightened steel single-mass flywheel and kevlar clutch from JMTC. I put about 250 soft miles on it, and maybe 20 not-so-soft miles up and down Route 1 just north of San Francisco. What a fantastic drive that is!

Also noteworthy, I ordered a catless dp from CNT (eBay) and installed it, only to find that it simply will not fit. I tried seven times to install that pipe, guys, seven times, with all the convincing I could muster so I'm sure it doesn't fit. Bummer. Called Way, but he's out of his pipes. I guess I'll put that one on hold for the moment being.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Mister
2nd Gear
My WRX was world rally blue.
A picture is worth 1000 words, right?
I like everything about that combo!

Mine was black pearl metallic. I had it before digital photos were the norm so there's only a handful of pictures of it... This is one shortly before my buddy wrecked it. The car had around 50k~ and, now that I look at it... it looks like the tires somehow had more

Old 04-05-2016, 07:17 AM
Loyal242
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mister
I like everything about that combo!

Mine was black pearl metallic. I had it before digital photos were the norm so there's only a handful of pictures of it... This is one shortly before my buddy wrecked it. The car had around 50k~ and, now that I look at it... it looks like the tires somehow had more
HaHa!
Yeah, those front treads!

I'll always have a soft spot for bugeyes!

Old 04-05-2016, 10:28 AM
ApexinM3
3rd Gear
Project for the day: JCW 380cc fuel injector installation. Despite only using 93 octane fuel I was pinging under WOT after the 17% supercharger under-drive pulley installation - definitely not a good thing. E10 and E15 fuel sucks as the fuel system has to flow much more to compensate for the ethanol in the gasoline and the OEM injectors aren't up to task. After this and an ECU reset, no more pinging and the car pulls strong.

Next step: ECU software upgrade; I'll be using the old Lucky Dog Garage tune from John Behe who is now running things over at ASM Performance in Hanover, MD.

Intercooler and fuel rail removed

Fuel injector ports were nasty and had to be cleaned

Intercooler and hardware after removal

Fuel rail before the swap

JCW 380cc fuel injectors - they sure are pretty!

The original injectors - dirty on the outside but work fine otherwise. Will clean them up and sell them shortly.

Fuel rail installed

Old 04-05-2016, 03:48 PM
R53Minicoop
3rd Gear
Installed body color scoop in place of silver scoop.

Pics to follow when weather is better.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:50 PM
R53Minicoop
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ApexinM3
Project for the day: JCW 380cc fuel injector installation. Despite only using 93 octane fuel I was pinging under WOT after the 17% supercharger under-drive pulley installation - definitely not a good thing. E10 and E15 fuel sucks as the fuel system has to flow much more to compensate for the ethanol in the gasoline and the OEM injectors aren't up to task. After this and an ECU reset, no more pinging and the car pulls strong.

Next step: ECU software upgrade; I'll be using the old Lucky Dog Garage tune from John Behe who is now running things over at ASM Performance in Hanover, MD.

Intercooler and fuel rail removed

Fuel injector ports were nasty and had to be cleaned

Intercooler and hardware after removal

Fuel rail before the swap

JCW 380cc fuel injectors - they sure are pretty!

The original injectors - dirty on the outside but work fine otherwise. Will clean them up and sell them shortly.

Fuel rail installed
How hard of a job is that to do?

Old 04-05-2016, 05:04 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
HaHa! I was waiting for this question. Thank you for coming through, Steffen.Johnson!

The video I'm linking to here is not mine. But when I watched it, I thought there would be no way to compete with it. I am no videographer.

This is a great comparison video . . stock vs. Invidia N1.

Mini Cooper S R53 Invidia N1 Exhaust - YouTube

I'm not a good reviewer either, but I will say this:

The first things I noticed about the N1 were the quality and it's resemblance to a brass wind instrument. It makes me think of a trombone, baritone or french horn. It is definitely tuned for sound and a more "straight through" flow.

The second thing I noticed about the N1 is that has a much deeper tone than stock. And the Pop-Pop that happens when you let off the throttle is more pronounced with the N1.

In general, the N1 is louder than stock. It is a performance exhaust system, after all. But it is not too loud by most people's standards - I would think. Cruising at low speed through my neighborhood - which has a lot of retirees - it is not going to attract any attention. It's only when I "get on it" that it makes any significant noise.

There is a big difference in-cabin as to whether the rear seats are folded down or not. When the seats are in their normal upright position a person almost wouldn't know there's a performance exhaust underneath. But fold those seats down to expose the cargo area, and one can really enjoy the sounds that the N1 produces.
I think this is the only R53 exhaust I've heard that actually sounds good. Maybe the video is flattering though...

Old 04-05-2016, 05:37 PM
ApexinM3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by R53Minicoop
How hard of a job is that to do?
Not hard at all! You'll need a T30 Torx, 8mm & 13mm sockets, a small pick, and a small pry bar. I used large rifle cleaning patches soaked in WD-40 to clean the surfaces of the intake manifold where the injectors plug in.

In all the job took me about an hour to do, just make sure you plug the injectors in and prime the fuel pump at least 4-5 times or you'll get a Service Engine Soon light with misfire codes. I made that mistake, fortunately it was easy to figure out and I've got an OBD scan tool that cleared the codes right away.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:46 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Not hard at all! You'll need a T30 Torx, 8mm & 13mm sockets, a small pick, and a small pry bar. I used large rifle cleaning patches soaked in WD-40 to clean the surfaces of the intake manifold where the injectors plug in.

In all the job took me about an hour to do, just make sure you plug the injectors in and prime the fuel pump at least 4-5 times or you'll get a Service Engine Soon light with misfire codes. I made that mistake, fortunately it was easy to figure out and I've got an OBD scan tool that cleared the codes right away.
NICE! Did you notice a difference at all since install?

Old 04-06-2016, 05:09 AM
R53Minicoop
3rd Gear

Thanks for the info

Old 04-06-2016, 07:17 AM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by R53Minicoop
Installed body color scoop in place of silver scoop.

Pics to follow when weather is better.
please do post them!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?