F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Mini coding/programming

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:29 AM
JohnWB
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I use the button on the end of the indicator stalk to scroll through, one of the displays shows the digital speed as a small number and also shows the trip and total milage at the same time.

After a few seconds the digital speed display becomes much larger and the the trip and total milage disapear.

Is it possible to program the display to keep the digital speed as the small size, so that the the trip and total milage are displayed at the same time as the digital speed.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:01 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Finally got everything working with ESYS and got to coding last night!

Here's the list of stuff I've done, thanks to info around the forums, and some extra stuff I discovered by sniffing around...

For the record, my F55 is a Feb build with F056-11-14-502, used psdzdata 54.1 and had to track down missing CAFD files for the HB_NBT and BDC_BODY modules

-Turn off seatbelt reminder chimes (I kept the lights on, but there's a way to code those out as well.
- Disable welcome gongs/chimes
- Messed with Active Sound Design: Able to turn off (too quiet), tried to configure to use BMW M-series sounds instead, but couldn't get it working. Guessing it's because the ASD modules are different between MINIs and BMWs
- Close windows, sunroof, and mirrors from the keyfob
- Also set up to fold windows in/out while locking/unlocking
- Change triple turn signal to another number (I kept it on 3, but verified it worked)
- Allow windows to roll up while door is opened
- Tail lights on with DRL
- Fog lights can remain on with high beams
- Door handle welcome lights come on while reversing
- Turn off electronics when drivers door is opened after engine shut off
- Unlock all doors when engine is shut off (only works if Auto lock after driving is enabled)
- **Enabled Active Sound Design configuration menu: works, you get a menu of sounds to choose from in the Settings menu, but none are selectable and turning this on disabled my ASD sounds altogether.
- Use iPhone's ringtone when call comes in
- Change Navigation voice to British English - incidentally, this also changes all the language to the UK versions, and inputting addresses into the nav, some of the fields are blank (ie: City, State, Street)
- Removed iDrive disclaimer
- Display tire temperature in addition to the tire pressure (which now says tyre pressure, thanks to the UK change lol)
- Play video while in motion

Here's the new stuff I dug up:
- Change gong/chime and system sounds to BMW, BMW i, or Rolls Royce (all three work and affect all the sounds in the car - mine is currently set to BMW for now...will probably change it back to MINI)
- Change the NBT theme to BMW, BMW i, or Rolls Royce: Basically changes the graphics to the interface used on those three platforms. (BMW i was only one I got working, BMW and RR froze on the MINI splash startup. On BMW i, some MINI specific graphics and menu were missing, also some verbiage is different ex: EfficientDynamics instead of GREEN mode.)
- There's coding to change the startup splash screen in the headunit to BMW, BMW i, Rolls Royce, blank, but I didn't test.
- Turn off speed correction: looks like it took, but haven't verified
- Found option to put the turn signals indicators in the HUD, but doesn't look like it works on MINIs

That's all I got so far! Makes my MINI 10x more enjoyable!

Attached Thumbnails Mini coding/programming-20150322_031138187_ios.jpg   Mini coding/programming-20150322_182602360_ios.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 03:04 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wish there were a way to do that, riding away the 3 second timer for the speed display.

On another note, there is a way to get rid of the blank line mode.

I don't know if it's related to coding in any way, but one problem I'm having is that when I use Green Mode, the green mode gauge that tracks how many miles I saved doesn't work. Sometimes it'll show 0 miles, sometimes 0.9 miles and stops counting. It used to display it correctly, I don't know what happened.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:23 PM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by siriuszero
- Found option to put the turn signals indicators in the HUD, but doesn't look like it works on MINIs
I'm still trying to get this working but have not found a good "code" to do it. Let us know if you come across a solution.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:36 PM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniLynsk
Any idea what version it let you download? When I enter the last 7 of my VIN the web site says my software is up to date. My car has only been to a dealer once, last September.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:43 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CooperB
Any idea what version it let you download? When I enter the last 7 of my VIN the web site says my software is up to date. My car has only been to a dealer once, last September.
You know that's only for the infotainment system software, right? It's not the software for any of the dozen or so ECUs.

As far as I know, for the F56 ECUs, there's only two versions that I've seen.
F056-14-11-50? - November 2014 build
F056-14-07-506 - July 2014 build

Old 03-24-2015, 07:29 PM
clintmeister
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. I didn't know you could change all that stuff. Did the engine sounds work?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:38 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool that you can change the door mirrors to auto-fold/unfold with locking/unlocking via the Comfort Access buttons. I don't use my fob. I would love to effect that change!

Last edited by darex; 03-24-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:11 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hp79
You know that's only for the infotainment system software, right? It's not the software for any of the dozen or so ECUs.

As far as I know, for the F56 ECUs, there's only two versions that I've seen.
F056-14-11-50? - November 2014 build
F056-14-07-506 - July 2014 build
Yes, that's what I am looking for, the software updates for the Radio/Bluetooth. I don't know how a web site with the last 7 of my VIN would know if my car's software is up to date.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:11 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by clintmeister
Wow. I didn't know you could change all that stuff. Did the engine sounds work?
No - turning the configuration menu on didn't do much. None of the sounds are selectable and having the menu on killed Active Sound altogether. Wondering if it was an abandoned feature, one for demo purposes, or maybe a fJCW related feature.

There are some parameters in the ASD module that let you pick other engines to simulate, but none of them I've tried so far seem to work. I tried a few BMW engines and the B48B20, which I thought was the fJCW engine, but that didn't work either.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:51 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CooperB
Yes, that's what I am looking for, the software updates for the Radio/Bluetooth. I don't know how a web site with the last 7 of my VIN would know if my car's software is up to date.
I tricked the VIN verification and downloaded UPD05062 -- when I try the update the screen says this software is not compatible with my car.

I have seen with my own eyes people running more current software for Bluetooth/Tele in almost identical equipped car's yet for some reason I can't get an update to allow Bluetooth to work properly and see incoming text messages? ASK MINI was no help -- just told be patient and check back for updates often.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:32 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
With recoding, can the behavior of the comfort access button on the door handle be made to act like every other manufacturer's system, i.e. sane and logical?

That is (when UNlocked):
1 Press: all doors lock
2 Presses: driver's door unlocks
3 Presses: all doors unlock
4 Presses: all doors lock again

?

Ideally, mirrors should also fold-in when doors lock; unfold when the unlock. The above would be my first change.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:35 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
That is done onboard on the door/lock menu and what you describe is not an available option there.

I don't recall seeing this in the BDC coding FA either, I'll look again next time I connect but I doubt you can drill it down this specific.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:02 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by darex
With recoding, can the behavior of the comfort access button on the door handle be made to act like every other manufacturer's system, i.e. sane and logical?

That is (when UNlocked):
1 Press: all doors lock
2 Presses: driver's door unlocks
3 Presses: all doors unlock
4 Presses: all doors lock again

?

Ideally, mirrors should also fold-in when doors lock; unfold when the unlock. The above would be my first change.
You can change the behavior of pressing the button once via the Settings in the headunit (drivers door or all doors unlocking), but that's it.

ESYS will let you program the mirror fold with lock/unlock.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Emmons1983
1st Gear
Finally got everything working with ESYS and got to coding last night! Here's the list of stuff I've done, thanks to info around the forums, and some extra stuff I discovered by sniffing around... For the record, my F55 is a Feb build with F056-11-14-502, used psdzdata 54.1 and had to track down missing CAFD files for the HB_NBT and BDC_BODY modules -Turn off seatbelt reminder chimes (I kept the lights on, but there's a way to code those out as well. - Disable welcome gongs/chimes - Messed with Active Sound Design: Able to turn off (too quiet), tried to configure to use BMW M-series sounds instead, but couldn't get it working. Guessing it's because the ASD modules are different between MINIs and BMWs - Close windows, sunroof, and mirrors from the keyfob - Also set up to fold windows in/out while locking/unlocking - Change triple turn signal to another number (I kept it on 3, but verified it worked) - Allow windows to roll up while door is opened - Tail lights on with DRL - Fog lights can remain on with high beams - Door handle welcome lights come on while reversing - Turn off electronics when drivers door is opened after engine shut off - Unlock all doors when engine is shut off (only works if Auto lock after driving is enabled) - **Enabled Active Sound Design configuration menu: works, you get a menu of sounds to choose from in the Settings menu, but none are selectable and turning this on disabled my ASD sounds altogether. - Use iPhone's ringtone when call comes in - Change Navigation voice to British English - incidentally, this also changes all the language to the UK versions, and inputting addresses into the nav, some of the fields are blank (ie: City, State, Street) - Removed iDrive disclaimer - Display tire temperature in addition to the tire pressure (which now says tyre pressure, thanks to the UK change lol) - Play video while in motion Here's the new stuff I dug up: - Change gong/chime and system sounds to BMW, BMW i, or Rolls Royce (all three work and affect all the sounds in the car - mine is currently set to BMW for now...will probably change it back to MINI) - Change the NBT theme to BMW, BMW i, or Rolls Royce: Basically changes the graphics to the interface used on those three platforms. (BMW i was only one I got working, BMW and RR froze on the MINI splash startup. On BMW i, some MINI specific graphics and menu were missing, also some verbiage is different ex: EfficientDynamics instead of GREEN mode.) - There's coding to change the startup splash screen in the headunit to BMW, BMW i, Rolls Royce, blank, but I didn't test. - Turn off speed correction: looks like it took, but haven't verified - Found option to put the turn signals indicators in the HUD, but doesn't look like it works on MINIs That's all I got so far! Makes my MINI 10x more enjoyable!
Where did you find the missing CAFD files? That's where I'm stuck currently with my F56 S Feb build.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:47 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hammerhands
I see a reference out there to 3.55.0.100. There's a note that says:
CAFD files still empty. Use CAFD files from version 3.54.1 (lite).
this

Old 03-27-2015, 02:59 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Emmons1983
Where did you find the missing CAFD files? That's where I'm stuck currently with my F56 S Feb build.
Do you know what software version you're running? Mine, for example, was F056-14-11-502.

What ECUs are missing CAFD files and what are the names of the CAFD files missing?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:50 PM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can someone message me a link to the software? I use utorrent. The last russian site i saw i couldnt get the download to work.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:42 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
removed for the obvious

Last edited by MarcoPolo; 03-28-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:46 AM
randomquickness
5th Gear
I'll give it another shot, thanks!

Old 03-28-2015, 05:49 AM
randomquickness
5th Gear
thanks! I think I must have tried clicking everything but that little line of text.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Emmons1983
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hammerhands
this
I thought 3.54.1 was what I downloaded?

Attached Thumbnails Mini coding/programming-screen-shot-2015-03-28-at-16.31.30.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 04:41 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Emmons1983
I thought 3.54.1 was what I downloaded?
Sorry Emmons- I went back and saw your software version - you're on F056-14-11-502, same as me and you had the same problem I had: missing CAFD files.

I PMed you the link to where to find them. Just download them and paste them into this folder: C:\Data\psdzdata\swe\cafd

This should let you code the HU_NBT and BDC_BODY ECUs.

The empty CAFD file issue hammerhands is referring to is that newer BMW software is not codeable due to not having any descriptors for anything. You will basically open the CAFD file and all the folders say (.) instead of SOUND_SIGNAL_SET or whatever. That's the best way I can explain it, perhaps someone could explain better.

Luckily, as far as I've seen, MINIs don't have a version newer than F056-14-11-504. Worst case is, like you and I, they might just have to track down missing CAFD files, but they are codeable. I've heard the next MINI software change is coming in July and for MINIs coming from the factory with that software or those that have been updated during a Service visit, we can expect that they will no longer be codeable.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:55 PM
KKelly
1st Gear
Sorry Emmons- I went back and saw your software version - you're on F056-14-11-502, same as me and you had the same problem I had: missing CAFD files.

I PMed you the link to where to find them. Just download them and paste them into this folder: C:\Data\psdzdata\swe\cafd

This should let you code the HU_NBT and BDC_BODY ECUs.

The empty CAFD file issue hammerhands is referring to is that newer BMW software is not codeable due to not having any descriptors for anything. You will basically open the CAFD file and all the folders say (.) instead of SOUND_SIGNAL_SET or whatever. That's the best way I can explain it, perhaps someone could explain better.

Luckily, as far as I've seen, MINIs don't have a version newer than F056-14-11-504. Worst case is, like you and I, they might just have to track down missing CAFD files, but they are codeable. I've heard the next MINI software change is coming in July and for MINIs coming from the factory with that software or those that have been updated during a Service visit, we can expect that they will no longer be codeable.
Can you PM these to me as well? I think this is the only thing I'm missing now (aside from the cable which I've already ordered!).

Old 03-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Emmons1983
1st Gear
Many thanks to Siriuszero for the missing CAFD files. I was able to code finally!

Question: While looking through some of the modules, i found in BDC_BODY, "3090 HcSeatHeating, 1C." It looks like there are some places you can code to change the temperature in Celsius of the different levels of seat heat. Has anybody tried this yet with any success?

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Mini coding/programming