F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Mini coding/programming

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:35 AM
mvalpreda
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2015 hatch with nav and looking to make a couple of changes. Wanted to know if these we possible before buying the ethernet/OBD adapter and looking for the software. Seems like everyone has a <=2014 in here.

Play videos in motion
Play videos from USB (or iPhone 6 Plus)
Door lights on when reversing
Turn off welcome gongs/chimes
Remove disclaimers
Turn off any seat belt warnings
Change from triple blink to 4 blinks
Turn off radio/nav when doors open
Chirp when locking doors

I saw the guides at http://www.bmwesys.com, is there any other software I need to get started? Is there a guide for the 2015 settings that can be changed?

EDIT: Read though this a bit more, ordered a cable that someone else had ordered. Looking forward to making some changes! I really want to turn on the chirp when I lock the doors. I'm a tad OCD.

Last edited by mvalpreda; 03-29-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:55 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Emmons1983
Many thanks to Siriuszero for the missing CAFD files. I was able to code finally!

Question: While looking through some of the modules, i found in BDC_BODY, "3090 HcSeatHeating, 1C." It looks like there are some places you can code to change the temperature in Celsius of the different levels of seat heat. Has anybody tried this yet with any success?
I've heard this works, but I didn't try it - I like them the way they are. Plus, it would be hard to test... IR thermometer?

Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 PM
DarkBlue15MCS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mvalpreda
I have a 2015 hatch with nav and looking to make a couple of changes. Wanted to know if these we possible before buying the ethernet/OBD adapter and looking for the software. Seems like everyone has a <=2014 in here. Play videos in motion Play videos from USB (or iPhone 6 Plus) Door lights on when reversing Turn off welcome gongs/chimes Remove disclaimers Turn off any seat belt warnings Change from triple blink to 4 blinks Turn off radio/nav when doors open Chirp when locking doors I saw the guides at http://www.bmwesys.com, is there any other software I need to get started? Is there a guide for the 2015 settings that can be changed? EDIT: Read though this a bit more, ordered a cable that someone else had ordered. Looking forward to making some changes! I really want to turn on the chirp when I lock the doors. I'm a tad OCD.
everything but the chirp when locking is possible

Old 03-29-2015, 01:07 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
I have a 2015 hatch with nav and looking to make a couple of changes. Wanted to know if these we possible before buying the ethernet/OBD adapter and looking for the software. Seems like everyone has a <=2014 in here.

Play videos in motion
Play videos from USB (or iPhone 6 Plus)
Door lights on when reversing
Turn off welcome gongs/chimes
Remove disclaimers
Turn off any seat belt warnings
Change from triple blink to 4 blinks
Turn off radio/nav when doors open
Chirp when locking doors

I saw the guides at http://www.bmwesys.com, is there any other software I need to get started? Is there a guide for the 2015 settings that can be changed?

EDIT: Read though this a bit more, ordered a cable that someone else had ordered. Looking forward to making some changes! I really want to turn on the chirp when I lock the doors. I'm a tad OCD.
ESYS will cover any F56 or any F55 2014+. For any other MINI, you're using NCS Expert - it's a whole different thing.

The only two things you can't do on your list are:
- Play videos from USB (or iPhone 6 Plus): Videos from USB will only playback if you have the XL headunit, but iDevices won't do video playback on any of the new headunits. Strangely, you could play videos from iDevices on 2nd gen MINIs...
- Chirp when locking doors: This is not a codeable feature. It requires the alarm to be equipped on your MINI and you can toggle the beeping on/off from the Settings menu anyway. If you don't have the alarm, there's no way to get a beep/horn with the equipment you have.

Last edited by siriuszero; 03-29-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:34 PM
mvalpreda
1st Gear
Thanks all. I have the cable ordered and downloading the software now. Once I get the cable in I will give everything a shot. The instructions look easy enough.

Too bad about the chirps and the video playback....but not end of the world sort of stuff. I have a ProClip with enough slack on the USB, so I just rotate the phone when the wife wants to ignore me.

Anything else that everyone seems to do that I might be missing? I'm just excited to not have it sound like a video game when I get in the car or take off my seat belt when I pull into my complex!

Old 03-29-2015, 03:55 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Opening/closing doors/windows/mirrors from keyfob/handle is handy if your MINI is equipped with Comfort Access.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:38 AM
Emmons1983
1st Gear
I changed the master language to English (UK) and she sounds so much cheekier now. The only issue is that now I have to give voice commands in a (really bad) fake British accent for her to recognize what I'm saying. I may change it back.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:21 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Emmons1983
I changed the master language to English (UK) and she sounds so much cheekier now. The only issue is that now I have to give voice commands in a (really bad) fake British accent for her to recognize what I'm saying. I may change it back.
That's the issue I had with it as well. Some of the voice commands I did use aren't recognized anymore, even with my best British accent..

Old 03-30-2015, 05:59 PM
jay524
1st Gear
Is there anyone from NJ doing this coding to their F56 Minis? Maybe you can lend a hand to new to Mini to program a few such as tail lights on with DRL and the folding/unfolding of side mirrors from the key fob?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:42 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
With the trimming of files by BMW to thwart coders, If I do coding, and make functional changes, but then down the road, if MINI updates my ECU, won't all of my changes default to factory settings?

For example, with the latest recall involving changing the VIN, won't all these efforts be wiped and non-retrievable or accessible again?

Old 04-01-2015, 06:00 PM
mvalpreda
1st Gear
I am missing something. I was able to get everything installed, software loaded and a connection to my 2015 hatch. I'm just not seeing where I need to do to make coding changes.

EDIT: This was helpful http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=631884

Problem I am having now is applying the coding changes I made.
Instructions say
Now you can see FA again. Right click on it and "Activate FA". You will see a green active text next to FA. Also FP will open on the right side.
I get this far

Select the edited CAFD file on SVT box and Click on "Code FDL" in coding box on right.
I don't have that and any effort to load a file says 'Error in module "Coding" while reading element <svt> from XML file....."
I tried in the SVT Actual file name area and in the KIS/SVT Target area.

How do I apply my changes?

Last edited by mvalpreda; 04-01-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:35 PM
mvalpreda
1st Gear
Okay....finally got it figured out. Makes a difference what is highlighted so "Code ECU" shows up.

Is turning off the seatbelt warning and gongs in ACSM something that takes a while to take effect? I saw a few things I did happen immediately.

Also, I can't find the setting to turn on the door lights in reverse. Does someone have that handy?

Old 04-01-2015, 08:51 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay....finally got it figured out. Makes a difference what is highlighted so "Code ECU" shows up.

Is turning off the seatbelt warning and gongs in ACSM something that takes a while to take effect? I saw a few things I did happen immediately.

Also, I can't find the setting to turn on the door lights in reverse. Does someone have that handy?
See my signature. There's a open excel file (Google Doc) editable by anyone. Enabling the door handle light on reverse was probably the first thing I did on mine. I think everything happens immediately. However, if you screw up something like I once did and revert back, sometimes you have to give it some time (something like 1 hour drive time) for it to be fixed. So don't freak out if you mess something up and revert it back but it's not working correctly.

Originally Posted by darex
With the trimming of files by BMW to thwart coders, If I do coding, and make functional changes, but then down the road, if MINI updates my ECU, won't all of my changes default to factory settings?

For example, with the latest recall involving changing the VIN, won't all these efforts be wiped and non-retrievable or accessible again?
Yeah, if they update the ECUs, I'm pretty sure it'll get reset to default values. Was there a recall changing VIN numbers? I know there's a recall about replacing the stickers that show incorrect gross weight. By the way, updating all the ECUs take 4+ hours.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:16 PM
mvalpreda
1st Gear
Thanks for the Google Doc. I will do a few of those tomorrow. I set the seatbelt alerts, but they didn't take after I disconnected and went for a quick drive. I set the radio/nav to turn off when the door opens and that took immediately.

One thing I would love to do is turn off welcome gongs/chimes. I did that at ACSM 3001 Initialwarnung = nicht_aktiv but she is still gonging like a video game. That was one I wondered if it took a little.

If it doesn't do it in the morning I will be quite happy!

Old 04-01-2015, 09:38 PM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hp79
Was there a recall changing VIN numbers? I know there's a recall about replacing the stickers that show incorrect gross weight. By the way, updating all the ECUs take 4+ hours.
Yes. I received a letter about it. Sounds like a real PITA! It will cause confusion, plus I can just see them pulling off trim and headliners to access the VIN plates, and when all is said and done, "rattles", where there were none before. They said the VIN recall is not ready to be implemented yet, but that I'd be notified when it is.

As for the coding, I guess I'll just enjoy the improvements while they last.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:03 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes. I received a letter about it. Sounds like a real PITA! It will cause confusion, plus I can just see them pulling off trim and headliners to access the VIN plates, and when all is said and done, "rattles", where there were none before. They said the VIN recall is not ready to be implemented yet, but that I'd be notified when it is.

As for the coding, I guess I'll just enjoy the improvements while they last.
I think you mis-read the letter. I also got that too couple days ago. What they do is order the correct sticker that has the correct vehicle weight. But because that sticker has your car's VIN on it too, they need to read your VIN and order that sticker that has your same VIN. So it's not a VIN replacement. If the VIN had to be corrected, there are VIN on the car body several places on the metal frame itself. I don't think that's the case.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:32 AM
darex
5th Gear
Glad I misread it. Never heard of such a thing!! :-)

Old 04-02-2015, 09:13 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
For people who want to get back to stock settings, whatever you do, DO NOT click "Code Default Values"! This will brick your car. I haven't done it myself, but have heard horror stories on other forums.

Originally Posted by hp79
I think you mis-read the letter. I also got that too couple days ago. What they do is order the correct sticker that has the correct vehicle weight. But because that sticker has your car's VIN on it too, they need to read your VIN and order that sticker that has your same VIN. So it's not a VIN replacement. If the VIN had to be corrected, there are VIN on the car body several places on the metal frame itself. I don't think that's the case.
The sticker they replace is on the B-pillar when you open your driver door. Easy to access, easy to replace. Takes minutes once the corrected sticker is in.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:17 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Just a heads up to all you F56/F55 coders - MINI has new software in dealers now: F056-15-03-500, which has the benefit of re-adding rev-matching from 3rd to 2nd for certain manual F56 owners, but the new software, if it's anything like the BMW FXXX-15-03-500 software, breaks coding.

I talked about it a bit in this thread, but Bimmerfile has more info - I'm just re-communicating what I read there.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4062289

Just be careful if you need to take your car in for something that requires updating your software. They WON'T upgrade your software if you're in for something unrelated - no dealer wants to have your car take up a spot in their service bay for 4+ hours if it doesn't need to.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:46 PM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Here's the new stuff I dug up: - Change gong/chime and system sounds to BMW, BMW i, or Rolls Royce (all three work and affect all the sounds in the car - mine is currently set to BMW for now...will probably change it back to MINI) - Change the NBT theme to BMW, BMW i, or Rolls Royce: Basically changes the graphics to the interface used on those three platforms. (BMW i was only one I got working, BMW and RR froze on the MINI splash startup. On BMW i, some MINI specific graphics and menu were missing, also some verbiage is different ex: EfficientDynamics instead of GREEN mode.) - There's coding to change the startup splash screen in the headunit to BMW, BMW i, Rolls Royce, blank, but I didn't test. - Turn off speed correction: looks like it took, but haven't verified - Found option to put the turn signals indicators in the HUD, but doesn't look like it works on MINIs That's all I got so far! Makes my MINI 10x more enjoyable!
Did you happen to notice which Werte value is for which logo/graphics? I think "04" is for MINI. One is for M3, but not sure which Werte value. Is "00" for (standard) BMW?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2015, 02:44 AM
guil0205
Neutral
Anyone know how to activated RTTI ?
In France, we only have TMC and this is a big Sh....

Old 04-08-2015, 02:46 AM
guil0205
Neutral
Did you happen to notice which Werte value is for which logo/graphics? I think "04" is for MINI. One is for M3, but not sure which Werte value. Is "00" for (standard) BMW?

Thanks
On my MCS march 2014, I tried it and I nothing changed ..

Old 04-09-2015, 03:05 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear

Thanks
Which value are you trying to change? the splash logo? or the menus?

Here's the values for the splash/startup screen (STARTUP_EMBLEM in the HU_NBT module):
iDrive Startup Animation
variant_0, variant_2, variant_6 - BMW Connected Drive;
variant_1 - ///M;
variant_3 - BMW i;
variant_4 - MINI;
variant_5 - Rolls Royce;
variant_7 - BMW White startup;
variant_8 - BMW Brown startup;
variant_9 - BMW Merry Xmas and Happy New Year (this one is fun...will be using it come December )

For the menus (HMI_BRAND in HU_NBT):
BMW i is the only one that worked for me and it was buggy at that. Every other one I tried just froze on the splash screen
00 = bmw // 01 = bmw_i // 02 = *mini // 03 = rr

For the sound themes (SOUND_SIGNAL_SET):
Values are straightforward: mini, bmw, bmw i, rr

Old 04-09-2015, 03:06 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by guil0205
On my MCS march 2014, I tried it and I nothing changed ..
Which parameter were you changing? STARTUP_EMBLEM? Works consistently for me.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:27 AM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Which parameter were you changing? STARTUP_EMBLEM? Works consistently for me.
Same here. Currently set to Werte=00, and works perfectly. Did not change HMI_BRAND setting. Happy to say, thanks to you guys, ALL my settings are fantastic, and all work perfectly. Very happy I tried coding!

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Mini coding/programming