Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 02:53 PM
javendan
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bye bye run flats, spare tire time!

Hey folks,

I hope you all are doing great!

It has been advised that I replace two of my run flats, Pirelli Cinturato P7s. Dealer price is just under $300 for one! This pair has about 26k 36k.

I asked if they price match and emailed a Discount Tire link. It was suggested that was good price

I just had one of the original four tires replaced as it suffered from a puncture about two weeks ago... another one was replace almost a year ago because it blew out from something on the freeway.

So, I have decided to go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I will purchase them from Discount Tire.

I needed a spare tire and bought one from MiniMania for $340 delivered... steel wheel, tire, mounted and balanced. WOW!!!

I wanted to get the entire kit to include the tire tray and tools but that is another $305.

Shortly after completing the transaction I received an email with the tracking number. Super fast shipping!

Looking forward to the new tires!!!

Just wanted to share

Joel

Last edited by javendan; 04-04-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:36 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by javendan
Hey folks,

I hope you all are doing great!

It has been advised that I replace two of my run flats, Pirelli Cinturato P7s. Dealer price is just under $300 for one! This pair has about 36k.

I asked if they price match and emailed a Discount Tire link. It was suggested that was good price

I just had one of the original four tires replaced as it suffered from a puncture about two weeks ago... another one was replace almost a year ago because it blew out from something on the freeway.

So, I have decided to go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I will purchase them from Discount Tire.

I needed a spare tire and bought one from MiniMania for $340 delivered... steel wheel, tire, mounted and balanced. WOW!!!

I wanted to get the entire kit to include the tire tray and tools but that is another $305.

Shortly after completing the transaction I received an email with the tracking number. Super fast shipping!

Looking forward to the new tires!!!

Just wanted to share

Joel
Hello Joel. Thanks for the kind words. Glad we could help. Did you call our office and talk to anyone on the sales team. We can sometimes knock off a few more dollars. Might be worth a try.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:32 AM
javendan
1st Gear
Just an update...

I had to correct the mileage on the two original tires, in the original post, from 36k to 26k.

I bought the Clubman with 10k on the odometer but was certified... so, it had new tires on each corner.

SO, after 26k of relatively regular driving on my 80 mile daily commute they need replacing after only 26k :(

I have received the spare from MiniMania and so happy to have it.

It is strapped down in the rear as I will have to trim some of the underneeth cargo area to make it fit.

I found this video a while ago but had forgotten about it:

I hope to have a few hours this weekend to do the work.

Costco is charging approximately $630 OTD for the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ v-speed rated.

I will see what Discount Tire is going to do.

Joel

Old 05-05-2019, 05:13 PM
Oldpirate
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great to hear you found a spare tire, I got mine a few weeks after I got my Mini from Detroit Tune with the lug wrench and jack for 300 dollars and they shipped it to my door. I started looking at prices on tires and will be getting reg. ones instead of run flats.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:10 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I bought non-runflat tires for my MINI about 20,000 miles ago. I bought a slime kit and I have AAA road service. I haven't had a flat in 30 years, I don't think a spare is necessary.

The following users liked this post:
TaylorMutts (05-19-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 07:38 AM
javendan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Oldpirate
Great to hear you found a spare tire, I got mine a few weeks after I got my Mini from Detroit Tune with the lug wrench and jack for 300 dollars and they shipped it to my door. I started looking at prices on tires and will be getting reg. ones instead of run flats.
You are doing it right!... Getting the spare and supporting bits before swapping to non-run flats.

That is a great price, BTW.

I will be getting a jack this month.

Joel

Old 05-06-2019, 07:41 AM
javendan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I bought non-runflat tires for my MINI about 20,000 miles ago. I bought a slime kit and I have AAA road service. I haven't had a flat in 30 years, I don't think a spare is necessary.
I'm happy that you have not needed a spare in 30 years.

Unfortunately, in my over 30 years of driving I have had to use a spare more than a handful of times and recently, with this Clubman, had two run flats replaced because of a blow out and puncture.

Motor on!

Joel

The following users liked this post:
Minnie.the.Moocher (05-06-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 12:57 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Been there, done that

Been there, done that..... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-package.html

Old 05-13-2019, 07:48 AM
javendan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Oldpirate
I went ahead and ordered, bought and received the spare tray kit, clubman jack, lug wrench and wheel chock from Detroit Tune.

My order was shipped the same day and arrived about a week later.

I had received a refund for shipping as the price quoted at check out was more than the actually shipping... WOW!

Included in the box was some swag, too... a bottle opener, coozie <sp?> and license plate frame

Now just need some time to get it all fitted in the trunk area.

We have some great options out there for vendors!

Joel

Old 05-13-2019, 01:34 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Every time I see a flat tire in a parking lot I know why I replaced my OEM tires with runflats again. I actually bought mine from the Mini North Scottsdale dealer for $750. My originals only went about 18k miles.