Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

run-flats vs. non run-flats

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:09 AM
spidermonkey
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
run-flats vs. non run-flats

I've seen a lot of people mention that they removed the factory run-flats in favor of non run-flats because of the improved ride quality. Since there's no spare tire, what do you do (and this may be where I show my ignorance of the subject) when you get a flat?

Old 07-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Tire slime, plug kits, and prayer...

Here was my solution:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ighlight=slime

Old 07-31-2007, 07:34 AM
spidermonkey
2nd Gear
Dan00Hawk

Run-flats are new to me so that link was very educational. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 AM
spidermonkey
2nd Gear
And if, say you're on a road trip in the middle of nowhere and you have a blowout (rather than just a flat), then I assume that you're completely screwed. Yes?

Last edited by spidermonkey; 07-31-2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:57 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
If you do have a blow out you still have roadside assistance available or do as a lot of us do....on long trips throw a spare in the car. I have 15" snow tires and I use one as a spare when I go on a trip that goes to an area that may be difficult to get a tire fixed.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:00 AM
ramjet77
3rd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I did have a blowout in the middle of nowhere last year. I hit something and took a chunk out of my tire. It was early and not yet light so I never did see what I hit but it was big enough to also rip up the plastic wheel well liner. I drove 40 miles on I-84 to Burley Idaho on a run flat. Without the run flat, I would have been stranded until I got towed since the hole was too big for a squirt can to fill the tire. The disadvantage though is I had to have Tire Rack overnight ship a replacement run flat since they are not that common in the rural areas of the country.
George

Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 AM
naffets
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by spidermonkey
And if, say you're on a road trip in the middle of nowhere and you have a blowout (rather than just a flat), then I assume that you're completely screwed. Yes?

That would be a yes.

Another instance is if the puncture is in the sidewall. If you are on run flats then i would just drive to the closest tire repair shop and get the tire replaced.

If you are on non run flats then do the slim or plug and go to the closest tire repair shop and get the tire replaced.

Additionally if you are on non run flat tires and you drive too long on a flat tire there is a chance that the sidewall of the tire could be severly damaged. Using the slim or plug and if it holds air...drive to the nearest tire shop and have it inspected/fixed/replaced.

I've seen many people drive in to the shop I used to worked at and think their tire is ok and when looking at the inside of the tire it is cut in to the belt /rubber on the sidewall. I wouldn't fix the tire and would only replace. Any reputable tire shop would do the same thing if the sidewall integrity is suspect.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
That's where the "prayer" comes in... LOL

Here's my view on it: If you are on runflats, and get a blow out, you will likely be able to continue until you get to a repair shop (or hopefully at least to civilization). Whether that shop happens to have a runflat in stock in the proper size, however, is uncertain. You may be stuck there waiting for the right tire to come in, or just have to accept whatever tire they happen to have in stock... But, you won't be stuck on the side of the road waiting for roadside assistance, a courteous trucker, a raving lunatic, or whomever decides to stop and assist you.

If your driving frequently takes you to areas and beyond where you believe you'd have serious problems if a blowout occurred, then I'd stick with run-flats. Otherwise, (as some have mentioned) you can fit a spare tire in the trunk for insurance (and less luggage space).

There are tradeoffs, and you ultimately have to decide which factors and scenarios are more influential to yourself.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 AM
trico
6th Gear
I've seen a lot of people mention that they removed the factory run-flats in favor of non run-flats because of the improved ride quality. Since there's no spare tire, what do you do (and this may be where I show my ignorance of the subject) when you get a flat?
Slime, compressor, tire repair kit, AAA card, telephone call to the wife to bring out a new tire (thank you dear.).

Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 AM
spidermonkey
2nd Gear
Most of my driving is in and around the city but my concern is road trips. Even the run-flats leave me a bit worried. The wife and I were on an 18 hour trip from Texas to Colorado a couple of years back (in a different car) and there's a stretch somewhere in New Mexico where we didn't see anything but road and coyotes for a solid 2 hours (not even a gas station). That part of the trip was around midnight when of course nothing is open. Even on run-flats, it seems like one could be in trouble. I don't know. I really want to take the MINI on road trips but I guess I'll need to seriously think through it before taking off.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 AM
andyde
5th Gear
I have the MINI mobility kit and run all season rubber. I have also pondered about long road trips; so maybe buying a small spare (donut size) maybe another solution. Of course, this takes away from the cargo space available....

Old 07-31-2007, 10:32 AM
cooper8168
4th Gear
Man, just get some Slime, get in the car and go Don't worry about it to the point that it deters you from driving the Mini. My buddy, my assistant at work, both uncles and I have taken numerous road trips in our respective MCSs, all in the barren West. Two of us have run-flats and three of us don't (I don't). We have had one problem in probably 15000 miles of road tripping, and it was in my buddy's car with the RF's. Since the problem was in the sidewall, it was sit and wait for help, which would have been the case either way. Luckily we were only about 40 miles outside of Las Vegas, but the point is that there are scenarios that can render you immobile with either tire. So what do I do? Carry some slime, forget about it and have fun.