North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f54-clubman-talk-2015-442/)
-   -   F54 Bye bye run flats, spare tire time! (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f54-clubman-talk-2015/337438-bye-bye-run-flats-spare-tire-time.html)

javendan 03-29-2019 02:53 PM

Bye bye run flats, spare tire time!

Hey folks,

I hope you all are doing great!

It has been advised that I replace two of my run flats, Pirelli Cinturato P7s. Dealer price is just under $300 for one! This pair has about 26k 36k.

I asked if they price match and emailed a Discount Tire link. It was suggested that was good price :)

I just had one of the original four tires replaced as it suffered from a puncture about two weeks ago... another one was replace almost a year ago because it blew out from something on the freeway.

So, I have decided to go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I will purchase them from Discount Tire.

I needed a spare tire and bought one from MiniMania for $340 delivered... steel wheel, tire, mounted and balanced. WOW!!!

I wanted to get the entire kit to include the tire tray and tools but that is another $305.

Shortly after completing the transaction I received an email with the tracking number. Super fast shipping!

Looking forward to the new tires!!!

Just wanted to share :)

Joel

Mini Mania 03-29-2019 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by javendan (Post 4459905)
Hey folks,

I hope you all are doing great!

It has been advised that I replace two of my run flats, Pirelli Cinturato P7s. Dealer price is just under $300 for one! This pair has about 36k.

I asked if they price match and emailed a Discount Tire link. It was suggested that was good price :)

I just had one of the original four tires replaced as it suffered from a puncture about two weeks ago... another one was replace almost a year ago because it blew out from something on the freeway.

So, I have decided to go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I will purchase them from Discount Tire.

I needed a spare tire and bought one from MiniMania for $340 delivered... steel wheel, tire, mounted and balanced. WOW!!!

I wanted to get the entire kit to include the tire tray and tools but that is another $305.

Shortly after completing the transaction I received an email with the tracking number. Super fast shipping!

Looking forward to the new tires!!!

Just wanted to share :)

Joel

Hello Joel. Thanks for the kind words. Glad we could help. Did you call our office and talk to anyone on the sales team. We can sometimes knock off a few more dollars. Might be worth a try.

javendan 04-04-2019 10:32 AM

Just an update...

I had to correct the mileage on the two original tires, in the original post, from 36k to 26k.

I bought the Clubman with 10k on the odometer but was certified... so, it had new tires on each corner.

SO, after 26k of relatively regular driving on my 80 mile daily commute they need replacing after only 26k :(

I have received the spare from MiniMania and so happy to have it.

It is strapped down in the rear as I will have to trim some of the underneeth cargo area to make it fit.

I found this video a while ago but had forgotten about it:

I hope to have a few hours this weekend to do the work.

Costco is charging approximately $630 OTD for the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ v-speed rated.

I will see what Discount Tire is going to do.

Joel

Oldpirate 05-05-2019 05:13 PM

Great to hear you found a spare tire, I got mine a few weeks after I got my Mini from Detroit Tune with the lug wrench and jack for 300 dollars and they shipped it to my door. I started looking at prices on tires and will be getting reg. ones instead of run flats.

DneprDave 05-05-2019 06:10 PM

I bought non-runflat tires for my MINI about 20,000 miles ago. I bought a slime kit and I have AAA road service. I haven't had a flat in 30 years, I don't think a spare is necessary.

javendan 05-06-2019 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Oldpirate (Post 4467799)
Great to hear you found a spare tire, I got mine a few weeks after I got my Mini from Detroit Tune with the lug wrench and jack for 300 dollars and they shipped it to my door. I started looking at prices on tires and will be getting reg. ones instead of run flats.

You are doing it right!... Getting the spare and supporting bits before swapping to non-run flats.

That is a great price, BTW.

I will be getting a jack this month.

Joel

javendan 05-06-2019 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by DneprDave (Post 4467812)
I bought non-runflat tires for my MINI about 20,000 miles ago. I bought a slime kit and I have AAA road service. I haven't had a flat in 30 years, I don't think a spare is necessary.

I'm happy that you have not needed a spare in 30 years.

Unfortunately, in my over 30 years of driving I have had to use a spare more than a handful of times and recently, with this Clubman, had two run flats replaced because of a blow out and puncture.

Motor on!

Joel

gearhead60 05-07-2019 12:57 PM

Been there, done that

Been there, done that..... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-package.html

javendan 05-13-2019 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Oldpirate (Post 4467799)

I went ahead and ordered, bought and received the spare tray kit, clubman jack, lug wrench and wheel chock from Detroit Tune.

My order was shipped the same day and arrived about a week later.

I had received a refund for shipping as the price quoted at check out was more than the actually shipping... WOW!

Included in the box was some swag, too... a bottle opener, coozie <sp?> and license plate frame :)

Now just need some time to get it all fitted in the trunk area.

We have some great options out there for vendors!

Joel

TheBigNewt 05-13-2019 01:34 PM

Every time I see a flat tire in a parking lot I know why I replaced my OEM tires with runflats again. I actually bought mine from the Mini North Scottsdale dealer for $750. My originals only went about 18k miles.