Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain D1 Spec Throttle Boost REVIEW!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Rallymini370
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must be that CA sun! I miss it!

Old 06-08-2012, 03:19 AM
ProjectSR53
2nd Gear
I've read that this is "plug-n-play" but yet you're splicing wires. Why??

Old 06-08-2012, 03:21 AM
ProjectSR53
2nd Gear
I've read that this is "plu-n-play" but yet you're splicing wires. Why??

Old 06-08-2012, 04:15 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
ProjectSR53
I believe that the people that are splicing wires are doing so because they have something else pluged in to the OBC. On post #44 I reccommended a splitter to rectify that problem. If you only have this accessory it is plug and play.
Steve

Originally Posted by ProjectSR53
I've read that this is "plug-n-play" but yet you're splicing wires. Why??

Old 06-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Miami
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have found SP3 to be the best setting on my R50. Really reminds me of the feel I got from a mechanically linked TB.

This is where I put my module and how I ran the wires. Still deciding on where to put the display/control. Right now it's wrapped around the tach just hanging off to the side.

Attached Thumbnails D1 Spec Throttle Boost REVIEW!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!-photo-1.jpg   D1 Spec Throttle Boost REVIEW!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!-photo-2.jpg   D1 Spec Throttle Boost REVIEW!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!-photo-3.jpg  
Old 06-08-2012, 12:26 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by THE ITCH
ProjectSR53
I believe that the people that are splicing wires are doing so because they have something else pluged in to the OBC. On post #44 I reccommended a splitter to rectify that problem. If you only have this accessory it is plug and play.
Steve
I used the splitter that you sourced , thanks for that. A funny thing happened with my insall in that when I tried to go direct to the ob2 port with the DS it did not work but when plugged into the splitter it was fine. Might just have been that the pins didn't line up perfectly the first time , I didn't spend a lot of time researching it after I got it to work . I have a scan gage in the other end of the splitter so needed both.

Randy

Old 06-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Miami
4th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
I used the splitter that you sourced , thanks for that. A funny thing happened with my insall in that when I tried to go direct to the ob2 port with the DS it did not work but when plugged into the splitter it was fine. Might just have been that the pins didn't line up perfectly the first time , I didn't spend a lot of time researching it after I got it to work . I have a scan gage in the other end of the splitter so needed both.

Randy
You really have to push the connected into the obd2 port. Mine is so tight in there I am afraid to try and take it out for fear of breaking it :(

Old 06-08-2012, 01:47 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Miami
You really have to push the connected into the obd2 port. Mine is so tight in there I am afraid to try and take it out for fear of breaking it :(
I didn't want to force the issue as I also noticed how tight it fit. I knew i was going to use the splitter but i was just trying to go direct as a quick test. its all good now

Randy

Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Rallymini370
2nd Gear
Finally got my steering wheel and D1 fitted. I set it at SP9 and was super happy with this setting. Car drove really well with some nice drifting on the tighter corners

Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 AM
Miami
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rallymini370
Finally got my steering wheel and D1 fitted. I set it at SP9 and was super happy with this setting. Car drove really well with some nice drifting on the tighter corners
Have you got a stiffer rear sway bar?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 AM
EdbsMINI
Neutral
I just received my D1 Spec today but wanted to clear some confusion about the advance settings. Some of you claim that there is 9 settings? Is there more then one specific model or does it only say 7 Drive and actually have 9 settings?
Thanks ahead for the response guys!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So is there a setting that truly makes the relationship 1:1? The graphs I see here aren't looking good.

http://www.zenaracing.com/products.p...-%252d-CAPP151

I want 10% pedal to equal 10% throttle valve, 90% pedal = 90% throttle valve, etc. The stock relationship is sure as heck not.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nabeshin
So is there a setting that truly makes the relationship 1:1? The graphs I see here aren't looking good.

I want 10% pedal to equal 10% throttle valve, 90% pedal = 90% throttle valve, etc. The stock relationship is sure as heck not.
I never got around to looking at the graphs , just got in a messed around with it . Found that for me number 3 is great around town , very similar to a 05 transmission conversion and for the hills number 5 is perfect . Higher than that and I started to have traction " problems " in the tight turns .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 06-20-2012, 12:06 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine came in today! I'll be installing it soon enough...

Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Miami
4th Gear
I says 7 drive, but it does have 9 settings. Not sure why!

Originally Posted by EdbsMINI
I just received my D1 Spec today but wanted to clear some confusion about the advance settings. Some of you claim that there is 9 settings? Is there more then one specific model or does it only say 7 Drive and actually have 9 settings?
Thanks ahead for the response guys!

Old 06-20-2012, 04:37 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nabeshin

Its not 1:1 but what it does is trick you into feeling like it is. Best way to describe it is saying that its like a short shifter for your throttle pedal. Depending on the setting it will apply more power at a shorter pedal movement and does it VERY well. It could have accelerated the signal to the throttle valve but i cant tell you for sure without some sort of diagnostics test. But whats apparent is this, heel and toe downshifting is easy as hell now for me if that says anything. I use SP5 24/7, best setting.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:50 PM
earth0
Neutral
Fitment

Hey, Do you know if this fit R50. I purchased one from ebay $120+$20 S&H. The Cable that said TA8 was not fit into my 03 Mini Cooper Base model. Anyone can help would be appreciate.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Totally diggin that module! It is the throttle response that the car should have had from the beginning. Money well spent!

Old 07-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Without flaming me, what makes this better then a sprintbooster other then price?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:44 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
Without flaming me, what makes this better then a sprintbooster other then price?
Never used Sprint Booster, but I think they are comparable to be honest, so the only thing I would say is price.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
WMW will not sell these

WMW will not be selling this product, and do not recommend it. The way this product works can be very dangerous, unlike the Sprint Booster. This D1 module is NOT TUV certified and does not correctly amplify the signal. You may ask why this matters? Well that means this product can fail and the safety features of the factory ECU may not work. That means this could cause your car to accelerate on it's own, or quit at a bad time like pulling into traffic. The Sprintbooster is TUV certified and does not interfer with any of the built in safety features, if it did it couldn't be certified.
Also did you look at what kind of pain this thing is to install. Please if your buying one of these be aware.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-01-2012, 01:39 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
WMW will not be selling this product, and do not recommend it. The way this product works can be very dangerous, unlike the Sprint Booster. This D1 module is NOT TUV certified and does not correctly amplify the signal. You may ask why this matters? Well that means this product can fail and the safety features of the factory ECU may not work. That means this could cause your car to accelerate on it's own, or quit at a bad time like pulling into traffic. The Sprintbooster is TUV certified and does not interfer with any of the built in safety features, if it did it couldn't be certified.
Also did you look at what kind of pain this thing is to install. Please if your buying one of these be aware.

Care to post up some empirical data rather than posting you opinion and a link to your web site to generate a sale? TUV is a German standard and doesn't apply to everything in the world. Just because it isn't TUV approved doesn't really mean a lot.

So the next question is this. Has anyone that is running one had any problems? I have been running it all day and not had anything but a solid response from the unit.

Last edited by daflake; 07-01-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
TUV may be a German organization but it's still widely recognized and well respected.

I'm not sure about the quality of this unit but if there's a chance of any of the above mentioned from happening it's definitely lot a good thing. I haven't seen any reports of problems, but then again it's fairly new too.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sooper_cooper
TUV may be a German organization but it's still widely recognized and well respected.

I'm not sure about the quality of this unit but if there's a chance of any of the above mentioned from happening it's definitely lot a good thing. I haven't seen any reports of problems, but then again it's fairly new too.
It is also expensive and not mandatory so a lot of companies won't do it. Just because a product does not have the TUV stamp doesn't mean squat. It only means that they didn't want to spend the money to get it certified. Having lived in Germany for 4 + years, I know a lot about it as my car had to pass TUV.

Time will certainly tell, but Way's post comes across as a cheap plug for him to simply sell using scare tactics and I am not down with that. If he had empirical data to back his claim, he should post it up otherwise it is just a shameless plug. Lord knows he would be raising hell if someone called one of his products out and didn't post any supporting data.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I've been following this thread because I'm interested in getting one, I just don't know if it would provide any additional benefits over the SB I currently have other than more settings. If it did though I might consider getting one.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain D1 Spec Throttle Boost REVIEW!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!