Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain D1 Spec Throttle Boost REVIEW!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxmini
I have a total of 3 miles on it so far and no cyn run as yet . I will be out with it a bit tonight and play with it a bit more . First impression is that it does certainly work . I did not notice a difference between the normal and economy settings but in the SP mode quite a bit . I tried 9 just for one run thru the gears and that certainly would take some getting used to . I used 5 for most of the short trip home and the best way I can describe it is that to me it feels like driving a 05 tranny car compared to my 02. the acceleration seems to be compressed if that makes any sense at all Overall I really like it and seeing the throttle percentage as a constant read out is interesting as well . I think if anyone has stock in Sprint Booster they might want to sell and fast Nice little unit

Randy
M7 Tuning
Agreed, i love this cheap mod as it helps me with easier shifts and rev matching I been using SP5 for about a week and i think for me at least thats the best medium. Easy driving but also quick response, not the lazy stock kind anymore.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:45 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 53LVMini
Agreed, i love this cheap mod as it helps me with easier shifts and rev matching I been using SP5 for about a week and i think for me at least thats the best medium. Easy driving but also quick response, not the lazy stock kind anymore.
+1 here

Old 05-31-2012, 08:41 AM
gschiel
2nd Gear
I may be starting a group buy on these in a couple days. If anyone is interested in purchasing one send me a PM or email.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 AM
PierreLeona
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gschiel
I may be starting a group buy on these in a couple days. If anyone is interested in purchasing one send me a PM or email.
I am so glad this thread has encouraged so many people to try this mod! (I'm the OP)

By the way i have my D1 at SP9... LOTS of fun.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:21 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I took the car by our local shop and let the owner drive it . He was favorable impressed and he wants to stock them. I had to laugh when he described the change as similar to the difference between a 02 and 05 tranny which was the same impression I had . Taking into consideration he has most likely driven a larger variety of Minis than anyone I know I think that was quite an endorsement. He also wants me to see if i can find a version for his sons 335 BMW

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 05-31-2012, 03:37 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
I have a total of 3 miles on it so far and no cyn run as yet . I will be out with it a bit tonight and play with it a bit more . First impression is that it does certainly work . I did not notice a difference between the normal and economy settings but in the SP mode quite a bit . I tried 9 just for one run thru the gears and that certainly would take some getting used to . I used 5 for most of the short trip home and the best way I can describe it is that to me it feels like driving a 05 tranny car compared to my 02. the acceleration seems to be compressed if that makes any sense at all Overall I really like it and seeing the throttle percentage as a constant read out is interesting as well . I think if anyone has stock in Sprint Booster they might want to sell and fast Nice little unit

Randy
M7 Tuning
I'll show you where I put mine if you show me where you put yours...

Old 05-31-2012, 04:54 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I'll show you where I put mine if you show me where you put yours...
Here is a quick snap shot . I made a little angle bracket so its easier to read from the seat .

Randy

Old 05-31-2012, 05:04 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
Here is a quick snap shot . I made a little angle bracket so its easier to read from the seat .

Randy

Where did you get the red cap for the right side wiper lever? (washer fluid indicator)Looks good!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:31 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Mine's in the same spot but up a little higher...

Old 05-31-2012, 05:58 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 53LVMini
Where did you get the red cap for the right side wiper lever? (washer fluid indicator)Looks good!
That is actually the indicator lamp for the optional factory alarm system back in the old 2002 days .

Randy

Old 05-31-2012, 06:00 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Mine's in the same spot but up a little higher...
Its a good spot for me as I can still view and access it while in the five point harness.

Randy

Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 AM
Gamm
1st Gear
It can be found cheaper here => http://www.zenaracing.com/products.p...-%252d-CAPP151

You can also arrange a cheap group buy from the manufacturer in Taiwan: http://www.d1spec.com.tw/

Old 06-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Miami
4th Gear
For anyone interested, I offered $108 an they accepted: http://www.ebay.com/itm/D1-Spec-7-Dr...06e5cf&vxp=mtr

That's $128 shipped, not bad!

Randy, glad to see Steve liked the throttle controller

Not sure if you remember me, but I met you about a year ago at Steve's, I'm the lawyer from Miami. I had a 2005 PW/PW R53 and was getting some adjustable camber plates put in.

Question for everyone: where did you mount the actual control module (not the digital display), and how did you run the cables? Also, what did you do with the OBD cover after having plugged in the module? Mine is just sitting open and gets in the way sometimes when I go to engage the clutch.

Thanks,
Albert

Last edited by Miami; 06-05-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Rallymini370
2nd Gear
Fitted mine but with no steering wheel it's going to be difficult to test it! hahaha

Old 06-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Miami
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rallymini370
Fitted mine but with no steering wheel it's going to be difficult to test it! hahaha
Who needs a steering wheel, anyway!

I'm working on a mod to replace my steering wheel with an iPad ;-)

Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Miami
For anyone interested, I offered $108 an they accepted: http://www.ebay.com/itm/D1-Spec-7-Dr...06e5cf&vxp=mtr

That's $128 shipped, not bad!

Randy, glad to see Steve liked the throttle controller

Not sure if you remember me, but I met you about a year ago at Steve's, I'm the lawyer from Miami. I had a 2005 PW/PW R53 and was getting some adjustable camber plates put in.

Question for everyone: where did you mount the actual control module (not the digital display), and how did you run the cables? Also, what did you do with the OBD cover after having plugged in the module? Mine is just sitting open and gets in the way sometimes when I go to engage the clutch.

Thanks,
Albert
Steve's is THE place around here but you must have got some sort of mileage award coming so far

I mounted mine to the left of the steering column behind that pull down panel.

Randy

Old 06-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Rallymini370
2nd Gear
Maxmini, where did you get those gauge pod holders at the side of the speedo?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Miami
4th Gear
Steve's is THE place around here but you must have got some sort of mileage award coming so far

I mounted mine to the left of the steering column behind that pull down panel.

Randy
LOL I used to live in the SFV, moved back to So. Fla.

I was thinking to do the same thing with mine, just wasnt so sure about using the double sided tape.

Hope all is well.

-Al

Old 06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Maxmini, where did you get those gauge pod holders at the side of the speedo?

The gage holder was a prototype from BMP/ Pro mini back in 2002. I do not know if they ever put them into production. At the time no one made a gage holder for a nav equipped car. The panel holds a boost gage and a oil pressure gage. I mounted my Air Fuel gage on top of the Boost gage on the passenger side its not part of the bracket.

Randy

Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Miami
LOL I used to live in the SFV, moved back to So. Fla.

I was thinking to do the same thing with mine, just wasnt so sure about using the double sided tape.

Hope all is well.

-Al
I made a little angled bracket out of thin aluminum and then screwed that to the panel . I used double sided tape to attach the panel to the bracket and then screwed the bracket to the dash. If you go flat to the dash in the spot i used its harder to read but if you angle it up a bit its perfect.

Randy

Old 06-06-2012, 04:01 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
Has anyone that's currently using one of these used a Sprint Booster before that could comment on how the two compare with each other?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Rallymini370
2nd Gear
Bloody hell Maxmini that's a busy dash, what does all that stuff do? Thanks for the info about the pods.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Bloody hell Maxmini that's a busy dash, what does all that stuff do? Thanks for the info about the pods.
Randy and I like busy business lol...

Old 06-07-2012, 12:27 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
It all comes into play at different times . We used the car for a lot of R & D work back in the day so it was more useful then. I've heard a lot of comments over the years as to how can I look at all that stuff while I'm driving and the answer is I can't but I never have to look at ALL of it I do keep a close eye on the Oil Pressure , Intake Temp and Air fuel but the rest only as needed. The lap timer is only for the track, the G tech these days I really only use for the the side to side G meter which I set at 1.0. When i see that light I know I am on the edge The boost gage is only there to let me know if i have a problem or if the S/C is doing something odd. The black gage in the center tells me what gear I am in with the sequential shifter so that one is front and center. There is also a water temp, ammeter and scan gage out of sight . I guess I am just old school just like to know whats going on more than just lights and codes that are usually too late .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 06-07-2012, 12:28 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Randy and I like busy business lol...

See and people think I'm nuts LOL . Nice work Sid

Quick Reply: Drivetrain D1 Spec Throttle Boost REVIEW!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!