Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain D1 Spec Throttle Boost REVIEW!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Does the OBD power shut off with the ignition?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does with my scanguage. I would assume that it does...

Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by daflake
It does with my scanguage. I would assume that it does...
Ya I forgot...my OBD reader doesn't get charged with ignition off...

Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Is this thing OBD port powered or does it require a battery?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PierreLeona
Well, before I purchased this device there really wasn't much news about it. But I thought I would pull the trigger and try it out anyways. I got it from here:
http://www.aj-racing.com/shop/bmy_se...and=Mini&type=

Basically I would say, this was an AMAZING MOD. I paid about 120 overall with shipping and it was completely 100% worth it. There is a guy there named Jason Tam and he was EXTREMELY helpful when he was helping me trouble shoot the issue. My first D1 Spec that I received from him was actually a bad one, but he issued me a complete return label and ordered me a brand new one from the supplier. After I received that, I plugged it in and BAM! You could instantly feel the power! I purchased the D1 with 7 sport settings, 5 eco settings and 1 normal setting. But the one I received had NINE sport settings!!!! So I obviously tried the ninth setting first lol.

Granted the device does not add any HP or TQ whatsoever, it does exactly what it is suppose to, making the throttle opening more sensitive and in turn opening up the throttle more from idle. I believe the stock MINI throttle body is electronic and doesn't allow full throttle opening at low speeds. But this fixes that issue. Stepping on the gas each time really makes you "feel" like the bottom end power is right there. So if you feel like your MINI lags a little bit from idle and such or even after shifting gears, this is the device for you!!! It is extremely cheap and it does really give that feeling of power!!!!!!!

BTW, if you use a Scangauge II or some other device that plugs into the OBDII port you can get this from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/OBDII-Splitter.../dp/B000TMCX72

and they work perfectly together !!!!

So roughly if you had to get it it would be an overall of 150 spent maybe. AND IT IS WORTH IT!!! Any other questions please address them here and I would love to finally provide some insight for this device!!!!!!
Where can I purchase the D1 Spec Throttle Boost? I know you got it from AJ Racing , however they don't seem to supply it for a 09' R56? Any suggested sites to purchase the device from?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
search ebay...that's where I got mine...

Old 05-23-2012, 09:03 AM
clos8
2nd Gear
MSFITOY did you get yours on?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andyroo
Is this thing OBD port powered or does it require a battery?
Neither, it requires a live wire to power it. You can get that from the ODB or tap another wire for the power.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by clos8
MSFITOY did you get yours on?
Zenaracing...search "D1spec7drive" and you'll find them...the buy it now was 120 + 20 ship...they accepted my offer of 110 so I got them for 130 total...

Old 05-23-2012, 03:00 PM
clos8
2nd Gear
Might low ball and offer 90 see if they bite.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
Ill do a quick writeup breaking down the install. Make sure your package also comes with the required harness for the connection to the throttle pedal.

1. Disconnecting the battery isnt needed, remove the lower steering panel below the steering wheel (just give it a good pull and it will pop off from the top and bottom section is on a hing that requires some PITA twisting to pop off).

2. Slide the pedal to the left giving you some room to disconnect the harness, when done simply slide the pedal off.

3. On the D1 Spec module itself, unplug the connecter with the 3 extra wires that come with the kit, those wont be needed. Install the supplied harness into the D1 module and route it into your pedal, install.

4. Slide the pedal back on the rail making sure the plugs or nicely tucked to the right/back side clearing throttle pedal movement.

5. From here its up to you whether you want to hardwire the D1 into your ODB or use the port, Im using the port for now since im still testing this product. If you decide to hardwire, splice the red wire from the ODB into the red wire w/ blue line and yellow dashes (12v power) and the black ODB wire into the brown wire(im assuming thats a ground). FYI installing the ODB into the port was kind of a pain, takes a little bit of force to push in all the way, be careful doing this as the plastics that mount the ODB are weak.

6. Finally, install the display/controller into the D1 module. Do not start your car but turn the key one click to see if power is applyed to the module and if the installation was a success. If you get no power to the display its probably the ODB connection not being plugged in all the way (happened to me).

7. From here just follow the calibration setup in the instructions, once completed zip tie, route and mount all the wires to your liking. Mount your display module wherever you please and panel your mini back up.

Hope this helps you guys out a little better! Ill be happy help just ask!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:39 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 53LVMini
Ill do a quick writeup breaking down the install. Make sure your package also comes with the required harness for the connection to the throttle pedal.

1. Disconnecting the battery isnt needed, remove the lower steering panel below the steering wheel (just give it a good pull and it will pop off from the top and bottom section is on a hing that requires some PITA twisting to pop off).

2. Slide the pedal to the left giving you some room to disconnect the harness, when done simply slide the pedal off.

3. On the D1 Spec module itself, unplug the connecter with the 3 extra wires that come with the kit, those wont be needed. Install the supplied harness into the D1 module and route it into your pedal, install.

4. Slide the pedal back on the rail making sure the plugs or nicely tucked to the right/back side clearing throttle pedal movement.

5. From here its up to you whether you want to hardwire the D1 into your ODB or use the port, Im using the port for now since im still testing this product. If you decide to hardwire, splice the red wire from the ODB into the red wire w/ blue line and yellow dashes (12v power) and the black ODB wire into the brown wire(im assuming thats a ground). FYI installing the ODB into the port was kind of a pain, takes a little bit of force to push in all the way, be careful doing this as the plastics that mount the ODB are weak.

6. Finally, install the display/controller into the D1 module. Do not start your car but turn the key one click to see if power is applyed to the module and if the installation was a success. If you get no power to the display its probably the ODB connection not being plugged in all the way (happened to me).

7. From here just follow the calibration setup in the instructions, once completed zip tie, route and mount all the wires to your liking. Mount your display module wherever you please and panel your mini back up.

Hope this helps you guys out a little better! Ill be happy help just ask!
cant move the pedal did u unscrew it? or u just slide it

Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
do u have to press something on the plug before u pull it?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
ok was able to remove it hehe broke one side of the connector hehhe how sp mode do u guys have? is it 9? what mode are u guys using

Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by scoopy
ok was able to remove it hehe broke one side of the connector hehhe how sp mode do u guys have? is it 9? what mode are u guys using
Yeah my pedal literally just slide off, no tabs nothing. Im using SP9 and trying to get used to that. I like it sensitive

Old 05-25-2012, 04:56 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
Yeah so sp9 is a little too much lol, for racing id say sure. SP5 seams to be the sweet spot

Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
yeah same here using sp5 whenni tried using sp6 and sp9 sometimes im over revving when im changing gears hehe

Old 05-29-2012, 12:52 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Time to install...=)

1/2 hour later...

Wow...that was easy...suks it's raining or I'd see how it feels...

Last edited by MSFITOY; 05-29-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:04 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Still waiting on mine.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:35 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by daflake
Still waiting on mine.
I ordered from Zenaracing on Ebay...they shipped last Thursday and I was expecting at least a two week wait...found a DHL tag on my door the next day!

No one caught the driver so I had to wait till today to get it redelivered...

BTW, my positive wire on OBD is not red/blue...it's red/yellow...

Last edited by MSFITOY; 05-29-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:17 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Does the OBD power shut off with the ignition?
The current setup i have it stays powered on till the ecu powers down, like 3-5 min or so. This is having it plugged dorectly into the ODB.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:23 PM
53LVMini
2nd Gear
I ordered from Zenaracing on Ebay...they shipped last Thursday and I was expecting at least a two week wait...found a DHL tag on my door the next day!

No one caught the driver so I had to wait till today to get it redelivered...

BTW, my positive wire on OBD is not red/blue...it's red/yellow...
I could of sworn it had a very skinny blue line with yellow dashes.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just installed mine today. Very cool little mod , well worth the $$$

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 05-30-2012, 02:19 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by maxmini
Just installed mine today. Very cool little mod , well worth the $$$

Randy
M7 Tuning
I knew you wouldn't be far behind Randy

I'm finding the sweet spot to be S7 to S8...what about you guys?

Old 05-30-2012, 03:33 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I knew you wouldn't be far behind Randy

I'm finding the sweet spot to be S7 to S8...what about you guys?
I have a total of 3 miles on it so far and no cyn run as yet . I will be out with it a bit tonight and play with it a bit more . First impression is that it does certainly work . I did not notice a difference between the normal and economy settings but in the SP mode quite a bit . I tried 9 just for one run thru the gears and that certainly would take some getting used to . I used 5 for most of the short trip home and the best way I can describe it is that to me it feels like driving a 05 tranny car compared to my 02. the acceleration seems to be compressed if that makes any sense at all Overall I really like it and seeing the throttle percentage as a constant read out is interesting as well . I think if anyone has stock in Sprint Booster they might want to sell and fast Nice little unit

Randy
M7 Tuning

Quick Reply: Drivetrain D1 Spec Throttle Boost REVIEW!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!